• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2015 (May 18 - May 24)

casiopao

Lol, Splatoon is really reviving this board life lol.^_^

Well, hope that Ninty and 3DS will be able to make this thread stay alive longer till FF come out to make this thread as lively as before.^_^

Now, back to mobile game lol. Seeing that Sega just launched Chaos Dragon and it seems to be quite succesful, is Sega ways of keep pumping new title the better moves in smartphone industries the better ways to be succesful or Single huge title is better moves?

Sega recently launched Hortensia Saga, Monster Gear and now Chaos Dragon. All of those game also had live streamed event with their older title like Chain Chronicle. This actual makes me remember of old Sega tactics where quantity is more important than quality.^_^

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It needs to boost hardware sales (significantly) to be considered a success imo.

Eh, I don't know, it's the Wii U we're talking about...it'll probably do kiddy this week too, even if slighty squidder than other weeks.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Eh, I don't know, it's the Wii U we're talking about...it'll probably do kiddy this week too, even if slighty squidder than other weeks.

Which is what I'm trying to imply.

Sure the game will have a good opening and do well in its own right. And hey, maybe the IP will become a new main Nintendo IP.

But if hardware sales aren't increasing in general then that's not a positive sign for
1) the industry as a whole
2) Wii U hardware sell through
3) Attracting a new audience to Wii U.

FluxWaveZ

But if hardware sales aren't increasing in general then that's not a positive sign for
1) the industry as a whole
2) Wii U hardware sell through
3) Attracting a new audience to Wii U.

It would at least be a success for the game itself on a micro scale. Only looking at it from a macro scale would imply no substantial difference between the sales performance of a Splatoon or the sales performance of a The Wonderful 101.

So with all this talk about how good Splatoon is doing so far it got me thinking about other new IPs so far this gen and how they performed. So after looking back, to my surprise it l looks like Freedom Wars may have actually had the highest selling first week of any new IP so far.

01./00. [PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264) - 188.888 / NEW <79,73%>

Now there is one game that I'm not sure counts due to mass bundling which is Knack whose first week was:

01./00. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.145) - 309.304 / NEW

There are other games I'm not sure count as new IPs so please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, is there any chance Splatoon can over take Freedom War's first week sales and have the best opening for a new IP this gen?

Xbro

So with all this talk about how good Splatoon is doing so far it got me thinking about other new IPs so far this gen and how they performed. So after looking back, to my surprise it l looks like Freedom Wars may have actually had the highest selling first week of any new IP so far.

01./00. [PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264) - 188.888 / NEW <79,73%>

Now there is one game that I'm not sure counts due to mass bundling which is Knack whose first week was:

01./00. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.145) - 309.304 / NEW

There are other games I'm not sure count as new IPs so please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, is there any chance Splatoon can over take Freedom War's first week sales and have the best opening for a new IP this gen?

Stock issues have probably stopped it from taking it over. Might be if you count digital though.

FluxWaveZ

I think you'd have to describe "New IP." Does Tomodachi Life not count?

Stock issues have probably stopped it from taking it over. Might be if you count digital though.

Yeah I forgot about digital sales but looking back, Splatoon would have to have some pretty damn good digital sales considering Freedom Wars did really well according to Famitsu.

[PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264) - 187.890 (34.754) / 222.644

And those are literally first week digital sales since Famitsu's June tracking ended June 29th.

Xbro

Yeah I forgot about digital sales but looking back, Splatoon would have to have some pretty damn good digital sales considering Freedom Wars did really well according to Famitsu.

[PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264) - 187.890 (34.754) / 222.644

And those are literally first week digital sales since Famitsu's June tracking ended June 29th.

Tough competition. Don't think it will make it that far, especially in it's first week.

Well the splatoon download code has been sitting at number 2 on Amazon all weekend

Oh, huh, I either forgot or didn't know about a thing called "Tomodachi Collection."

I also thought of Yo-kai Watch, but it didn't have a great debut.

The one game I thought of was Puzzles and Dragons since it was new to dedicated consoles. However, considering it was a mobile game first with a huge following I don't think it should count.

duckroll

As far as I can see, the best non-bundled debut for a new IP this generation (PS4/XB1/WiiU/Vita/3DS) is indeed Freedom Wars. And the best debut for a new IP last generation (PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS) is..... Dragon's Dogma?

Damn, launching new IPs are hard.

Edit: The PS2 generation winner looks to be... Onimusha. And the PS1 generation winner is Gran Turismo?

As far as I can see, the best non-bundled debut for a new IP this generation (PS4/XB1/WiiU/Vita/3DS) is indeed Freedom Wars. And the best debut for a new IP last generation (PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS) is..... Dragon's Dogma?

Edit: The PS2 generation winner looks to be... Onimusha. And the PS1 generation winner is Gran Turismo?

I was under the impression that God Eater was the biggest new IP debut of last gen, but perhaps I'm misremembering.

duckroll

I was under the impression that God Eater was the biggest new IP debut of last gen, but perhaps I'm misremembering.

Famitsu first week numbers:
God Eater - 276,104
Dragon's Dogma - 302,590

God Eater sold more in the end, but we're talking about first week launches here right?

So using japanltdranking that would mean that per gen it was:

(5th gen) Gran Turismo - 648,650
(6th gen) Onimusha: Warriors - 517,078
(7th gen) Dragon's Dogma - 302,590
(8th gen) Freedom Wars - 187,890 (222,644 including digital)

Wow.

Sandfox

Wow.

Declining right before our eyes lol.

Pretty amusing legacy to follow. Dragon's Dogma got a G version and as a whole clearly didn't sell enough for them to continue as-is, so they went with an online version. Freedom Wars appears to have not done well enough to even have a G version. Wonder if it will get any kind of follow up at all.

Bass260

Wow.

I guess Pokemon didn't blow up right away. As a new IP it sure sold a lot in the end.

FluxWaveZ

Declining right before our eyes lol.

I don't think the decline is all that relevant to this point since that's just the trend and common knowledge, but it's a good way to indicate that, as Duckroll stated, new IP launching successfully can be pretty difficult.

LTD numbers can be more relevant for this, but it's interesting to look at how all of the best launching ones of previous generations, with the exception of Gran Turismo in that list above, can be described as relatively niche.

I guess Pokemon didn't blow up right away. As a new IP it sure sold a lot in the end.

Yeah, same for Yo-kai Watch. There are probably some more examples of new IP which ended up having persistent relevance after average debuts.

duckroll

I wouldn't say it is entirely decline here. As an industry grows it also becomes increasingly harder have a huge launch for something -new-, simply because so much resources will be going towards making existing hits even bigger hits. Remember, we're talking about first week sales, not LTD. If we look at LTD, there are many, many more success stories for new IPs. But one thing most new IPs which get huge have in common is that they don't launch big out of the gate.

This seems more of an indication of hype and marketing to me. It is increasingly harder to generate excitement and commitment to a brand new product because the market has matured to a point where the majority of consumers only give the benefit of the doubt to stuff they are familiar with. For new IPs, they have to rely more on word of mouth and growing popularity, rather than launching big.

duckroll

Yeah, same for Yo-kai Watch. There are probably some more examples of new IP which ended up having persistent relevance after average debuts.

It is actually far more common for new IPs which became huge to have average debuts. Being able to sell hundreds of thousands immediately is an anomaly, and those debuts don't always translate into long lasting success. Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Brain Training, Smash Brothers, Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Resident Evil, Hot Shots Golf, I could go on and on and on.

It is actually far more common for new IPs which became huge to have average debuts. Being able to sell hundreds of thousands immediately is an anomaly, and those debuts don't always translate into long lasting success. Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Brain Training, Smash Brothers, Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Resident Evil, Hot Shots Golf, I could go on and on and on.

Considering Pokemon is not only the biggest new IP ever in Japan but also the highest selling game overall do we know it's first week sales? My guess would be that it's FW:LTD ratio is astronomic.

Considering Pokemon is not only the biggest new IP ever in Japan but also the highest selling game overall do we know it's first week sales? My guess would be that it's FW:LTD ratio is astronomic.

Checking the spreadsheet that chris maintained, it seems to be 109,207 combined

Checking the spreadsheet that chris maintained, it seems to be 109,207 combined

Huh looking through some older Pokemon sales thread trying to find it's LTD sales and I came across this post (that quotes a table from chris) and it shows this for it's FW/LTD:

[NGB] Pokemon Red / Green / Blue (Nintendo) - 140.074 / 7.783.101

I wonder which is considered right. Either way it goes to show that first week sales may be important but they clearly aren't the most important thing.

Takao

Banned
Huh looking through some older Pokemon sales thread trying to find it's LTD sales and I came across this post (that quotes a table from chris) and it shows this for it's FW/LTD:

[NGB] Pokemon Red / Green / Blue (Nintendo) - 140.074 / 7.783.101

I wonder which is considered right. Either way it goes to show that first week sales may be important but they clearly aren't the most important thing.

Pokemon Blue didn't launch at the same time as RG in Japan. That's probably where the difference is coming from.

duckroll

The Famitsu weekly chart for 1996 Feb 26 to Mar 3 lists Pokemon's debut as 20,605 points, which translates to about 109,207 units.

Top Bottom