• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

LOCK

As WOM spreads, I expect sales to remain steady. Same for hardware. Mario Kart is the definition of an evergreen title.

Taker666

With the announcement of PSP being discontinued....I wonder if we could potentially see it outselling most of the new consoles next week? I noticed it had quite a bump at Amazon Japan.

Scum

Well P&D and Quiz RPG are pretty basic so it should be feasible to at least rebuild things fairly quickly.

That said, when you already hit 28 and 26 million installs and rising rapidly respectively, the incentive to hurry over to 3DS isn't astronomical, even if P&D eventually did.

It's like f2p games and the PS4. Some come over, but they're not in a huge rush.

Thought as much. It's just not worth the effort. Heh.
In some ways though, I'd like to see a PSPGo-esque handheld from Nintendo, as well as a handheld and console.

About how to save Japan, i really think they need new, and modern (meaning fitting to our new phone focused world) portable systems.

I'll say it again. Releasing a PS3 tablet, compatible with the online catalog, with some games available as flash cards in stores would do wonders, and bring a second life to the console.

The portable market has to freshen and evolve real quick. Lots of things are possible nowadays.

If the Vita was really a PS3, and had a 7" screen, and all PS3 rpgs and bandai games from the start...

Same for Nintendo of course, hurry and release a WiiU compatible portable (of course it would be less powerful but could maybe run the games at a lower rez). Call it a UDS if you want lol. The benefits are huge, like a new Monster Hunter / Pokemon / Animal Crossing being simultaneously on both.

Handheld gaming are diminishing. Sadly, future of portable gaming is smartphone, whether you want to accept it or not. Even though somehow the device you described is made to reality, there won't be many developers who want to invest money to make games for it because the profit is incomparable to making phone games.

BlackJace

Wii U sales spikes during non-holiday periods:

Code:
[B]Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)[/B]

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 36.454 / NEW 
[WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935) - 23.995 / NEW 

Wii U - 21.502 (10.172)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)[/B]

[WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 102.188 / NEW 

Wii U - 20.728 (6.380)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)[/B]

[WIU] Wii Party U # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 79.715 / NEW
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 38.936 / 595.161
[WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 5.683 / NEW 

Wii U - 40.118 (3.010)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)[/B]

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 350.749 / NEW

Wii U - 19.031 (8.859)

That doesn't even make any sense

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey Koei you might sell more copies of nobunaga if you didnt make it so fucking expensive...

Today saw a ton of Noire copies back on the shelves at used stores. D: So sad as am enjoying the game for what it is.

Man SAO got knocked out of the top 20 finally. D:

maxcriden

Code:

[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 38.936 / 595.161
[WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 5.683 / NEW 

Wii U - 40.118 (3.010)[/QUOTE]

It's notable for these particular sales that IIRC this was the debut of new SKUs with those games bundled in.

probably, but which is a more popular game in the past, MK or Smash

MK64>Smash 64
Melee>Double Dash by a really close margin (must have been Europe where Double Dash closed the gap, based on US+Japan sales...)
MKWii>>>Brawl, but this isn't attainable again without the Wii's casual audience

Yep, Home consoles are in danger and that's why sony chose not to launch there first for the first time.

I agree.

I think Sony smartly understood that seriously competing against XBoxOne in the West, meant to forgo Japan first.

2 things:

1) Sony needed PS4 units for a strong US/EU launch.

2) JP console #'s are in trouble. Had the PS4 launched in JP first & #'s tapered off shortly after (before the western launches), the performance could have tarnished the overall PS4 image, with engaged gamers. PS4 would have become a meme before it had a chance.

NotLiquid

Code:
[B]Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)[/B]

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 36.454 / NEW 
[WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935) - 23.995 / NEW 

Wii U - 21.502 (10.172)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)[/B]

[WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 102.188 / NEW 

Wii U - 20.728 (6.380)

Wii U - 40.118 (3.010)

[B]Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)[/B]

[WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 350.749 / NEW

Wii U - 19.031 (8.859)

The Wii Party bump has me believing it was a huge mistake to forego an MK8 bundle in Japan. It's going to be far more interesting to analyze hardware performance in regions that aren't Japan.

As an aside, if Hyrule Warriors is slated for August, I think it's better for Nintendo to release Bayonetta 2 in July in order to at least maintain a decent hold if MK8 can provide it. A Bayonetta 2 release followed by a Hyrule Warriors release could be a decent one-two punch for the Wii U during the summer.

:(

I hoped Noire would do better, in the 35k -40k range. Looks like Monpiece-Moero series is Compile Heart's beast.

And I really believe that many people would save themselves from frustration and do a lot better in their predictions if they just looked at themselves. Nintendo fans who already own a Wii U (or that are about to buy one) hyped with Mario Kart launch. The same in Media Create threads, the same in Japan and everywhere else.

orioto

Good Art™
Handheld gaming are diminishing. Sadly, future of portable gaming is smartphone, whether you want to accept it or not. Even though somehow the device you described is made to reality, there won't be many developers who want to invest money to make games for it because the profit is incomparable to making phone games.

Well it's still profitable to do make 3ds games i think..
Now the real problem with such a device is that, if portable games are WiiU games (or ps3 games), the budget would be way higher suddenly.

For example i guess a Monster Hunter 5 developed for the WiiU as a base, would cost way much than the 4.

15th Week Sales Comparison

WII - 1,801,988
NDS - 1,726,027
3DS - 1,061,201
PSP - 1,002,827
WiU - 829,112
GC - 795,207
PS3 - 678,489
PSV - 619,419
PS4 - 583,653
DC - 525,057
360 - 121,672

Extra: It took PS3 almost two years to sell as bad as PS4 did in its 15th week.

What was the PS3 library like at the 15th week in Japan?

Takao

Banned
As an aside, if Hyrule Warriors is slated for August, I think it's better for Nintendo to release Bayonetta 2 in July in order to at least maintain a decent hold if MK8 can provide it. A Bayonetta 2 release followed by a Hyrule Warriors release could be a decent one-two punch for the Wii U during the summer.

It's currently June 4th. Suggesting they launch Bayonetta 2 next month is sending that game to die. It was going to die regardless ...

The Wii Party bump has me believing it was a huge mistake to forego an MK8 bundle in Japan. It's going to be far more interesting to analyze hardware performance in regions that aren't Japan.

July has Wii Sports Club Retail Edition in it.

I honestly think Bayonetta will fit between it and Hyrule Warriors, or shortly after HW (like 2-3 weeks).

NotLiquid

July has Wii Sports Club Retail Edition in it.

I honestly think Bayonetta will fit between it and Hyrule Warriors, or shortly after HW (like 2-3 weeks).

Oh yeah, I actually noticed that just now.

For some reason I'm expecting Japan to get a bundle of that before MK8 lol.

I think it's pretty clear that the only even half-conceivable saviour for Wii U is not going to be a classic Nintendo franchise. It needs to be something new and unconnected to the past, that really gets heads turned and attracts interest in its own right. Of course, when we talk about saviours in this scenario, we're talking about moving the baseline away from death levels, not actually making the system successful.

Good luck, Nintendo. Watching out for something like this at E3.

Thorgal

I think some people have the wrong idea here .

It's not ' Japanese gamers do not care about Consoles in general .

It's ' Japanese gamers do not care about a console that has nothing to play that interests them .

ethomaz

Banned
15th Week Sales Comparison

WII - 1,801,988
NDS - 1,726,027
3DS - 1,061,201
PSP - 1,002,827
WiU - 829,112
GC - 795,207
PS3 - 678,489
PSV - 619,419
PS4 - 583,653
DC - 525,057
360 - 121,672

Extra: It took PS3 almost two years to sell as bad as PS4 did in its 15th week.
Ohhhhhh that not good.

PS4 needs some JRPG fast.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As WOM spreads, I expect sales to remain steady. Same for hardware. Mario Kart is the definition of an evergreen title.

It's also the 8th entry in the series though. Wouldn't most of their target audience be fairly aware that it's a high quality series?

Or do you mean word of mouth as in "Oh yeah this does exist!"?

zeromcd73

There's probably more, but these:

Ridge Racer 7
Mobile Suit Gundam - Target in Sight
Resistance
Armoured Core 4
MotorStorm
Genji
Need for Speed: Carbon
FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION
Konami Mahjong game
Railfan
Enchanted Arms
NBA 07

kinggroin

Banned
What we see with the WiiU is similar to what happened to Titanfall on Xbox One, they marketed the game so tightly with the console that most people who actually wanted the game already have the console.

I'm not sure that makes any sense. Though I do agree with your conclusion.

Bundy

Banned
lol wut?
19k only for the WiiU?
I thought it will go up to 80k..... -_-

To hell with you, japanese gamers!

L Thammy

Ridge Racer 7, Gundam: Target in Sight, Virtual Fighter 5, Resistance: Fall of Man, Genji, Sega Golf Club, Blast Factor.

I think that's it, but Dynasty Warriors Gundam landed on PS3's 17th week.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I missed a bunch of stuff.

It's ' Japanese gamers do not care about a console that has nothing to play that interests them .

That must be why Mario Kart, a hugely popular franchise in Japan, only manages to sell 10k additional consoles over the previous week.

I can't wait for the PS4 selling 50k when FFXV hits.

I've always wondered, why do Japanese gamers get a pass for only playing Japanese games? It would sound incredibly weird if an American said they only played American games, or someone in Europe saying they only play European games, why do Japanese gamers get to only play Japanese games?

thefro

I think it's pretty clear that the only even half-conceivable saviour for Wii U is not going to be a classic Nintendo franchise. It needs to be something new and unconnected to the past, that really gets heads turned and attracts interest in its own right. Of course, when we talk about saviours in this scenario, we're talking about moving the baseline away from death levels, not actually making the system successful.

If you're talking about Japan with a dead console market and one that's had a small core Nintendo console fanbase since the N64, that's probably the case.

They haven't come close to selling Wii U's to all their console fanbase in the US.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Disastrous bump for the WiiU, was expecting at least 30k

disastrous sales for the Ps4 as well, seems like the Vita is keeping Sony afloat in Japan, something I would never have expected

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm glad we've reached the conclusion that no game can ever save the Wii U based off of Japanese hardware sales for the week where MK was only out for 4 days (a country where the console market is so weak even PS4 is pulling 6.5k a week). We don't even know what US and EU HW sales look like, arbitrary devilish percents asides. Yes I expected a bigger bump but come on, we don't have the whole picture yet.
So you are saying next week WiiU sales will be higher?

And this is a japanese sales thread so we discuss japanese sales here.

It's an awful bump; what other game would you expect to save the WiiU? Hyrule Warriors will sell well, but the bump will be similar or worse. Smash? doubt it; the bump will be higher because it will be released in time for holidays, but that's that. Zelda? LOL. Animal Crossing? Doubt it. Wii Sports WiiU is doing nothing. A third party game? Nope (and lol).

The WiiU has a nice lineup for the rest of the year (if you compare it to PS4, lol), but unless Nintendo pulls another Nintendogs, Brain Training or Wii Sports level of revolution out of the hat, it's fate will be a niche console with some great games.

QoL console seems to be pointing that way, but that will be the console after WiiU. Iwata has already hinted that they are making a console that will be upgraded every year or two years, like the iPhone, with complete backwards compatibility (libraries and such), basically a Nintendo Fire TV or something. We will probably hear from it in next year.

If you look at the WiiU, you see that Nintendo aimed for low power consumption and full backwards compatibility (right now NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS and Wii; GCN should be easy to do), so it's already a glimpse of what Nintendo is planning for next generation and the future.

It's also the 8th entry in the series though. Wouldn't most of their target audience be fairly aware that it's a high quality series?

Or do you mean word of mouth as in "Oh yeah this does exist!"?

maybe some expected MK8 to be a 3DS thing and just found out WiiU has it, word of mouth is needed

I can't understand how poorly 3D World is selling tho so Japan is creeping me out

zeromcd73

I've always wondered, why do Japanese gamers get a pass for only playing Japanese games? It would sound incredibly weird if an American said they only played American games, or someone in Europe saying they only play European games, why do Japanese gamers get to only play Japanese games?

Because if you look at the top 100 selling games of the year in Japan 95~99 of them are Japanese games? Western games can be popular like Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet and Clank PS2, and GTAV, but it is rare.

Vandole

MK8 sales aside I suppose the other positive spin for Nintendo is that those couple extra Wii U buyers loaded up on software this week. Anyone remember the last time the Wii U had 4 games in the top 20?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right.

MK8 doing 325,000 - 350,000 in Japan in 4 days (I fear pure digital sales haven't been that high) means it did 850,000 - 875,000 across NA and EU in 3 days. And this is based on Nintendo's estimates which, in the past, they've even tended to be conservative...wondering what's going on here in the West, number-wise.

What we see with the WiiU is similar to what happened to Titanfall on Xbox One, they marketed the game so tightly with the console that most people who actually wanted the game already have the console.

Sony needs to do something in Japan to help PS4, complete failure right now.

Nintendo lineup is so predictable that when new console is released you can safely bet it will have 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Kart , Smash, Donkey King and Zelda so those games were already factored in buying decisions of people.

MK8 sales aside I suppose the other positive spin for Nintendo is that those couple extra Wii U buyers loaded up on software this week. Anyone remember the last time the Wii U had 4 games in the top 20?

Those are bundled games which you get when you buy console

random25

Well there's GTAV that sold very well. I think there are other Western games that cracked the Japan's charts. It just so happen that they have other tastes in games in general.

Top Bottom