• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

If Mario Kart can't sell systems with its sheer brilliance, then what on earth will?

It's transparently obvious that, in Japan at the very least, nothing will.

They've played their biggest software card and it's done nothing that can be built on. Horrible.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The only positive thing about this week must be the opening numbers of MK8!

Well deserved too, we're having one hell of a time with it in the GAF tournament!

All hardware is meeeeeeeeh. Wii U should be way higher with MK8. PS4 at 6.5K is shocking

Gamerloid

Came here to see the Wii U Mario Kart bump... I leave disappointed. It sold well, but didn't help the hardware as much as expected. I at least thought it'd take first place for at least one week. Now I wonder about Smash bros. The 3DS version might put a damper in Wii U sales of that version doesn't have enough new content.

Tiops

We just have to accept that Japan is going to focus even more on mobile from now on, huh? I still had hope...

Taker666

Up to around 20k was what I expected...the fairly small bump last week pointed to that.

They really should have released a MK hardware bundle in Japan. Weird that they didn't.

WiiU numbers are around what I expected, which sadly enough was already a low-balled number. Its true test is to see if it can keep hovering around this for the next couple of weeks. If it dips back to sub-10k within two weeks, we'll have a good glimpse at pretty much all other WiiU's "big" releases. If Mario Kart can't sell a WiiU to the mainstream audience, I'm not sure what would.

Oersted

3DS HW is asleep, Vita back where it was last year, WiiU not having a good bump, great start for Mario Kart, Yo-kai remains in god mode.. does Japan buy nothing but software currently?
And not even that much, looking at Infamous with a 75% drop still being in the charts.

NotLiquid

If MK8 did 320k in Japan that probably makes Shinra's estimation of the regional split correct.

So in the US it must have done around 400-500k.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Those WiiU numbers are....not so great. The bump didn't even help any other WiiU game into the top 20 besides Mario Kart.
But good numbers for Mario Kart 8 nonetheless.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
Solid start for MK
PS platforms, Vita especially, putting a lot of software out there.
But yeah, this is a pretty terrible week numbers-wise.
That MK couldn't even push WiiU over 20k units is a bad precedent.

urfe

Way better than I expected for MK8.

Wii U was a little less than I expected, but I'm curious how it'll hold. MK8 is a great game, and hopefully word of mouth does something.

PS4 doing horrible is amazing.

3DS is also doing a lot worse than it should.

Chaos17

I'm curious to know about the rest of the world.
Many time I read some americans couldn't buy the game the first week because it was sold out.

prag16

Banned
As I said in the other topic, MK8 software is solid. WiiU hardware not so much. But I won't call it disastrous until we see the tail on the bump. If a new baseline establishes above 12k or so for awhile, that wouldn't be too bad. If it ends up back in the PS3/4 shit 6000 club in 3 weeks...

EDIT: No MK8 sell through percentages?

mclem

I even asked Nibel to make a nice picture, but Wii U sales are so "ugh" that I don't even find it funny anymore. :(

I think the transparencies in fact suggest that the Wii U is angry that the rain means he can't go out stabbing as the PS4 lounges in the background (or is it a still-warm corpse?)

That WiiU bump was smaller than I expected. I figured it would at least be a bit above 20k. I think it's safe to say the game is selling well on the platform, but only to existing owners.

The home console market definitely sucks though. Crazy to see the PS4 so low. Guess it's not a surprise they held it back from the global November launch.

Yaoibot

BZXSq3B.gif

Vita ;-;

Well, at least MK8 sales were good.

Vita is one of the few actually up YoY. I don't get your comment. Should be aimed at the 3DS with its 50% hardware plunge.

Even FF won't save the PS4. Sony needs to do something, maybe a price cut and get a lot more Japanese devs on board. Something tells me they aren't in much of a rush, the western market is far more important and Japan is a shell of what it once was.

confuziz

Banned
Will the PS3 ever reach the 100 million point (WW) at this rate? Of course this is just Japan but if you look at the decline it is much much worse than the PS2 or PSP.

Top Bottom