• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

Jamix012

I really hope that the Wii U can at least maintain a 10kish baseline from here on out rather than a 5k-8k one. That's about the most positive thing that could happen honestly, given these initial sales. What a mess the Wii U and, more broadly, the Japanese gaming market is.

Vita is one of the few actually up YoY. I don't get your comment. Should be aimed at the 3DS with its 50% hardware plunge.

First off, I hope you understand his comment isn't implying anything negative about the Vita except it's sales. Second off, what? Yeah the Vita is up YoY but that's not exactly something to be shouting from the rooftops given last year's sales. The 3DS situation is pretty unfortunate too, but it's marginally more acceptable because A) It is selling more than the Vita in raw numbers and B) It has a 15 million LTD already. Again, 3DS situation is not ideal at all either, but the Vita is the one which dropped this week, not the 3DS.

NotLiquid

As I said in the other topic, MK8 software is solid. WiiU hardware not so much. But I won't call it disastrous until we see the tail on the bump. If a new baseline establishes above 12k or so for awhile, that wouldn't be too bad. If it ends up back in the PS3/4 shit 6000 club in 3 weeks...

EDIT: No MK8 sell through percentages?

I think it was implied that 400k was the initial shipment.

zeromcd73

At this point, it's going to take the collective efforts of everyone in the console/handheld industry in Japan to kick start it all again.

That would be great if third parties could at least release their games multi-platform like Persona 5 or Tales of Zestiria which would sell more than anything currently on the PS4.

damn good MK8 numbers, fucked up wii u tho :(

as for PS4, smh, anyone know when those gundam musuo games come for PS4? didnt they do pretty good for PS3 in Japan?

Abdiel

There's a DualShock controller laying in a pool of blood in the image. The joke is that Wii U killed PS4 behind the window.

Lol. I don't really know why people are surprised at how slowly the ps4 adoption is in Japan. Nothing has been released to their market, no must have title for Japanese audiences that isn't already available on the ps3. Those numbers are bad, no question, but it makes sense.

Ouch PS4. Sony better release something catered to Japanese people or it will see 4K soon.
Kinda sad with the HW bump for Wii U. Expected it to break 20k :(

random25

One key release for this week is Persona Q. Let's see how much bump it can give the 3DS numbers.

And wow...Kirby mah boy nearing 600k...fantastic!

Kerub

Banned
I hope MK8 can keep the Wii U selling until Smash Bros releases during winter. We can only pray for no heat waves.

allan-bh

Impressive debut for Mario Kart 8.

About hardware, of course is bad, but I believe Wii U will benefit in the long run.

Xater

Even FF won't save the PS4. Sony needs to do something, maybe a price cut and get a lot more Japanese devs on board. Something tells me they aren't in much of a rush, the western market is far more important and Japan is a shell of what it once was.

Japanese development has turned to shit with the HD transition. What it Sony supposed to do? Hand money out to everyone so they stop doing mobile games? There are developers working on current gen stuff but they all are slow as molasses and take forever to transition.

Cross-posting from the other thread...
This is why I've been hesitant on the Wii U recovering in general.

Basically everything announced is a title you could have easily assumed from day one of the console and picked up as soon as something like Mario 3D World or NSMB U came out.

Given Mario 3D World appeals to much of the really core Nintendo enthusiast audience, I would suspect that picked up a pretty large chunk of them.
I pretty much agree.

If one takes the "point system"/tipping point described before "future games" has essentially always included the likes of Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda. These aren't exactly bolts from the blue. People knew they would come even before they were announced.

In theory, as each game gets closer and comes along, does the pool of potential buyers actually dwindle?

The same could potentially be applied to the PS4 in Japan I suppose.

Well 1.75 million people own the system and they're probably the type interested in playing something on it given enthusiasts have to be a pretty significant chunk of that.

more of that 1.7 need to go and get some MK8

wish we knew what the eShop sold because my purchases are all digital so I can't blame anyone in Japan that went ahead and downloaded without going to a retail store

Scum

That would be great if third parties could at least release their games multi-platform like Persona 5 or Tales of Zestiria which would sell more than anything currently on the PS4.

Err.. Knowing these incompetent goons in charge at most of these publishers, I'd expect less multiplatform IPs from them.

"One game can change everything" (Iwata dixit) but it will not definitely be Mario Kart 8 lol

Oh, Iwata. You so cray cray.

Interfectum

Even FF won't save the PS4. Sony needs to do something, maybe a price cut and get a lot more Japanese devs on board. Something tells me they aren't in much of a rush, the western market is far more important and Japan is a shell of what it once was.

There's nothing Sony can do in Japan, IMO. Maybe a massive brainwashing campaign to make them care about game consoles again?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"One game can change everything" (Iwata dixit) but it will not definitely be Mario Kart 8 lol

If it were 2013, I'd agree in laughing at that. But the 2014's statement has a much different context, which makes it not insane, seriously XD

As said in the other thread (and by others here): the only thing we should hope for is an increased baseline for Wii U, which would still mean doing bad, but not being dead anymore.

...PS4 O_O

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think it has to have had to some extent.

I can't imagine 600K people bought a PS4 solely on the basis of a low-ish selling cross-gen Yakuza, an FF MMO, the MGS5 micro-game, and some Western titles.

JoeM86

He continued with "but how unlikely it is, it isn't wise to count on that".
But somehow, some people failed to catch that part.

Course not. You can't trash the man if you use the full quote :p

Seriously though, many news outlets did just take the first part of that quote and rolled with the "'One game can change everything' - says Iwata" story. That's why so many people think he was counting on it to do that.

phanphare

Banned
Iwata after he sees these numbers...

tumblr_li6p1ptgFf1qi6re3o1_500.jpg

Scum

Cross-posting from the other thread...I pretty much agree.

If one takes the "point system"/tipping point described before "future games" has essentially always included the likes of Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda. These aren't exactly bolts from the blue. People knew they would come even before they were announced.

In theory, as each game gets closer and comes along, does the pool of potential buyers actually dwindle?

Time to throw in some unknown/long forgotten IPs into the mix.

LOCK

Hopefully the baseline has increased, that's more important. Will be interesting to see next weeks numbers.

DaBoss

I think it has to have had to some extent.

I can't imagine 600K people bought a PS4 solely on the basis of Yakuza, and FF MMO, the MGS5 micro-game, and some Western titles.
They bought it purely out of hype!

Inb4 another MC thread turned into a debate about what sold the PS4 in the west. When in reality it was a combination of everything that sold the PS4 in the west.

RiggyRob

In Japan? Probably not.

Cross post from the last thread: I think an NFC game based around Pokemon/Yokai Watch/something similar could possibly help the Wii U recover, although at this point 'recover' means selling at 3DS levels, which aren't great right now either.

Top Bottom