• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not exclusively referring to the Japanese market, although comments regarding it are welcome.

I forgot about Terraria, and I agree it wouldn't necessarily need to be bundles. If Nintendo was releasing these titles regularly to 30-50K in sales, the Wii U would probably be at least slightly healthier.

I would assume these games are all certified etc. etc., so in terms of cost it would just be pressing discs, general distribution etc, and any marketing?

I'm kind of curious now how things like The Walking Dead and Child of Light have done at retail globally, as opposed to digital on consoles. (I don't know if Japanese Child of Light retail sales are reflective or not).

Are we talking about 30-50K sales worldwide or in Japan? If Japan, When titles like Just Dance Wii U are hovering around the 50K mark right now, how are indie titles expected to hit that exactly?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Agito is starting to recover on iOS:

agitoiosczdms.png

There was an update on June 2nd. It went down for a bit after that, but perhaps they've fixed most of the critical bugs after having seven post launch patches and then started up an event.

Notably, for the newest update, while there are still a bunch of 1 star reviews, there's no longer an increasing downward trend with star ratings and 5 star reviews make up a bigger chunk overall. I'm guessing people who like social games are now more satisfied while traditional FF fans are still upset.

Road

Vita had an abysmal first-year holiday lineup. PS4 looks to be even worse. They need Square to drop FFXV: Noctis Prologus or something.

Vita holiday in 2012 was: Call of Duty Declassified, Assassin's Creed Liberation, AKB 1/149 and Fate/Stay Night.

PS4 holiday this year will be: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed Unity and... (Guilty Gear Xrd?)

Pro: Western PS4 games are of a higher profile, not third grade portable spin-offs.
Con: All PS4 games are cross-gen, while Vita had mostly exclusives.

I think the PS4 holiday is going to be less shitty by an infinitesimal margin.

Vita holiday in 2012 was: Call of Duty Declassified, Assassin's Creed Liberation, AKB 1/149 and Fate/Stay Night.

PS4 holiday this year will be: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed Unity and... (Guilty Gear Xrd?)

Pro: Western PS4 games are of a higher profile, not third grade portable spin-offs.
Con: All PS4 games are cross-gen, while Vita had mostly exclusives.

I think the PS4 holiday is going to be less shitty by an infinitesimal margin.

Only a small correction but Unity will not be cross gen.

Sales age, how much did Monster Hunter sell on WiiU?

just thinking of chances for WiiU version of MH4U

I'm not much of a Japanese Sales-age Gaffer but the last time we got an LTD for the Wii U SKU of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate seems to be Week 4 of 2013 at around 200k or so

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510733&highlight=media+create+2013

I think Frontier G also released on the Wii U in Japan? But can't find sales numbers for it during it's supposed release date of Dec. 11 2013.

I'm not much of a Japanese Sales-age Gaffer but the last time we got an LTD for the Wii U SKU of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate seems to be Week 4 of 2013 at around 200k or so

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510733&highlight=media+create+2013

I think Frontier G also released on the Wii U in Japan? But can't find sales numbers for it during it's supposed release date of Dec. 11 2013.

I'd say it's fair to guess it's eeked itself by now to somewhere in the 250k to 300k range, if anyone can find a more recent number it'd be great

Frontier G sold almost nothing on anything

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
not even sure why they wasted porting resources on Frontier G, do they not notice the trend. Or even see what fans want?

Capcom is becoming a digitally focused company, so recurring subscription revenues strike them as more appealing than a one off boxed product.

That's why they went all in on Frontier, to try and get as many extra subscribers as possible.

This is also why they're releasing a bunch of mobile titles, browser titles, and online pc games for Asia (recurring revenue) and making things like Deep Down f2p on console.

not even sure why they wasted porting resources on Frontier G, do they not notice the trend. Or even see what fans want?

I'd imagine anyone that coughs up the retail price for an effectively massively outdated version of monhun is so obsessive they'd also subscribe and spend a fortune on microtransactions

Takao

Banned
I'd say it's fair to guess it's eeked itself by now to somewhere in the 250k to 300k range, if anyone can find a more recent number it'd be great

Frontier G sold almost nothing on anything

Famitsu reported that MH Tri G HD Ver. sold 218,831 copies as of September 29, 2013. As of this January, Portable 3rd HD on PS3 has sold 441,375 units.

Famitsu reported that MH Tri G HD Ver. sold 218,831 copies as of September 29, 2013. As of this January, Portable 3rd HD on PS3 has sold 441,375 units.

So a respectable performance I'd say, 4g hd I would guess is inevitable though it is in capcpom's interest to keep it under wraps until after the 3ds version drops

I think that if you take a larger view on the overall market, it's not that the home console market is shrinking because there are no big IPs on it. It might be the opposite. There are no longer many big IPs on consoles because consumers have started moving away from them. You mention stuff like Pokemon and Monster Hunter, but those were always big portable IPs. They were popular because they were portable, and not popular IPs which moved to portables.

Let me explain how I see it now. I think that "big IPs" will not really be able to push anything much on their own. It's not the branding, it's what people want to play. Appeal and demand make big IPs, not the other way round. Why are consoles less appealing and why is there less demand for them? Lack of software is certainly one reason, but it's not the largest reason. The reality is that games for the majority of people is not a dedicated hobby and just something they want to pass the time.

When the only option for a certain quality of gaming were consoles, they sold a ton. People wanted something to play, anything, and at that time the economy was strong enough to support the additional cost too. When portable gaming caught up and could offer experiences up to the standard the majority of people in Japan wanted, the market exploded to that instead. It was just more convenient and cheaper. They might not be "console level experiences" but clearly that wasn't what most people were after. Their standards are much lower. Now we're seeing the shift towards smartphones. Why? Because everyone has one and they would rather play games on something they already have than carry around another device and buy retail games.

This doesn't mean that dedicated gaming will disappear entirely, but rather that it will increasingly become the domain of enthusiasts rather than general audiences. Much like how the low and mid-range camera market was completely destroyed by camera phones, we're seeing something similar with gaming. In the end, the people who buy dedicated game hardware will demand higher and higher standards, while the number of them supporting the market steadily decrease. Smaller market, demand for higher standards. Tough times for everyone. So it's not surprising that many companies are choosing to go after mobile and portables instead, rather than fight tooth and nail on high quality console software in the Japanese domestic market.

I agree with many of this, but not everything. Portable success actually did cannibalize the home console market in Japan. Even though I agree some of the IPs were more successful due to portability as Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing, some IPs, once very identified with home consoles, migrated to portables.

Kingdom Hearts: From KH2 onward, we got seven games of the series, only 1 was for a home console and was a remake.
Dragon Quest: From DQ8 onward, all it's titles, remakes included, were portable titles, outside of DQ10 which was a MMO.
Super Mario: From Sunshine onward, 8 titles. 3 portables titles: NSMB, SM3DL and NSMB2 coming out first and NSMB Wii, SM3DW and NSMBU being heavily inspired from them.
Zelda: From Majora's Mask onward: 14 games, 9 of them portable.

Although some franchises remained consoles focused, like MGS, RE, Tales of and FF, they got major portable treatment as games like Peace Walker, Revelations, Hearts and Type-0 were big bets.

This, combined with everything you say, cannibalize the home console market as many of the major IPs once identified with it left it out or, in a way, had it's contribution for the portable market exodus.

Comgnet Launch Week Points

[PSV] Persona 4 Golden - 310pt (152,499)

[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 379pt (184,811)
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 146pt (97,142)

[3DS] Persona Q - 409pt

It's coming.

Sandfox

[3DS] Persona Q - 409pt

It's coming.

I'm curious to see what Atlus does with EO going forward because it seems like PQ is going to work out way better for them.

random25

[3DS] Persona Q - 409pt

It's coming.

I know COMGNET numbers are not directly influencing overall sales numbers but damn, expecting 200k opening for PQ! Good opening for a Persona spin-off.

They are going to fire whoever is responsible for this:

http://i.imgur.com/TpIPKxH.png

And give the EO series a more mature approach, with plot and cast.

Gawd no. Keep EO the way it is. It works. Untold didn't increase the baseline of the sales despite all the extra baggage. Persona Q is its own thing.

I'm curious to see what Atlus does with EO going forward because it seems like PQ is going to work out way better for them.
I don't understand this mentality. EO games are an established thing at this point. Four entries and a remake all selling around the same figure shows a dedicated fanbase that while not large, remains reliable, and since EO games are cheap to make - there's no reason to stop making them.

Sandfox

Gawd no. Keep EO the way it is. It works. Untold didn't increase the baseline of the sales despite all the extra baggage. Persona Q is its own thing.

I think it would be interesting for them to try combining it with another IP after they make EO5 or something.

[3DS] Persona Q - 409pt

It's coming.

SINCE WHEN did PQ shoot up like that? It was quite a bit below P4G, now it's leaped over it effortlessly? Wat.

Edit: Found I think the last batch by Mpl90:

Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparisons, as of June 2nd, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 51pt + 50pt = 101pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 272pt + 201pt = 473pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 192pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 89pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 153pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 74pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 176pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 89pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 63pt

[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! - 67pt
[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Lock on Victory!! - 60pt

[PS4] Watch_Dogs - 20pt

Snakeyes

I think Nintendo will absolutely release another handheld.

The hardware sales will be painful to watch, though.

It really depends on how Nintendo design the system(s). If they build something while taking the fact that smartphones are ubiquitous into account, the device could become very successful.

If they put out another half-assed blunder like the 3DS, which is probably their most poorly designed handheld to date, it may tank.

I think it would be interesting for them to try combining it with another IP after they make EO5 or something.

I'm okay with experimentation as long as traditional EO games are continually made. Though I dunno what IP they could potentially merge it with at this point? They've already sorta done it with their two biggest ones now: SMT and Persona.

SINCE WHEN did PQ shoot up like that? It was quite a bit below P4G, now it's leaped over it effortlessly? Wat.

Edit: Found I think the last batch by Mpl90:

MPL's numbers were from the daily; Sammy's numbers were from the weekly.

So Persona 4 Golden was pre-ordered more at COMG than Persona Q; but more people went out to buy Persona Q once it had actually released than Persona 4 Golden.

Takao

Banned
I'm okay with experimentation as long as traditional EO games are continually made. Though I dunno what IP they could potentially merge it with at this point? They've already sorta done it with their two biggest ones now: SMT and Persona.

Shining Odyssey
Phantasy Star Odyssey
Sonic Odyssey

Shining Odyssey
Phantasy Star Odyssey
Sonic Odyssey

I'd fucking love Sonic Odyssey. I'm one of the rare folks who would love a Sonic JRPG, there I said it.

I'd much prefer one that's full 3D with a free-roaming world. But yeah it could work I guess in EO's dungeon crawling style. Make it more like Persona Q where the characters interact in real-time (you actually see them in full 3D).

Just realized a mind-blowing fact that if Sonic Odyssey happens...

It will be Yuzo Koshiro's first Sonic game since Sonic the Hedgehog 8-bit.

jeremy1456

I'd fucking love Sonic Odyssey. I'm one of the rare folks who would love a Sonic JRPG, there I said it.

I'd much prefer one that's full 3D with a free-roaming world. But yeah it could work I guess in EO's dungeon crawling style. Make it more like Persona Q where the characters interact in real-time (you actually see them in full 3D).

Remember the last time we had a Sonic JRPG styled game?

Bioware ruined it.

jeremy1456

If I were Capcom I wouldn't keep a 4U HD exclusive to Wii U.

They have the only viable dedicated handheld. Both in Japan and worldwide.

The 3DS doesn't need monster hunter, and I think It's in Capcom's best interest. No other current gen platforms are viable in Japan aside from 3DS.

ohlawd

so it took until a Persona spinoff to see a EO game sell with really good numbers relative to the latter series.

fucking Japan.

Takao

Banned
Metal Slug Defense (iOS/Android - F2P) reaches 5 million downloads worldwide* in 34 days: http://app.famitsu.com/20140609_389945/

That number shocked me to the point where I thought I was wrong, or a typo happened. 万 = tens of thousands, so 500万 = 5 000 000. The Google Play installation number is between 1 - 5 million, so I guess that figure is correct?! Has the Metal Slug series combined sold 5 million units? I wouldn't think so.

*China not included

edit: erm, I probably should've read the Google Play description:

"METAL SLUG DEFENSE" passes 5 million downloads! Update your game and get free in-game "MEDALS"!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snkplaymore.android003

Do they even have plans for a console version?

Not at the moment. But this is Capcom, and they like to get people to double dip.

They have the only viable dedicated handheld. Both in Japan and worldwide.

The 3DS doesn't need monster hunter, and I think It's in Capcom's best interest. No other current gen platforms are viable in Japan aside from 3DS.

Huh? I'm talking about a home console port of the 3DS game. It would be foolish to keep that exclusive to Wii U.

Are we talking about 30-50K sales worldwide or in Japan? If Japan, When titles like Just Dance Wii U are hovering around the 50K mark right now, how are indie titles expected to hit that exactly?
Japan, singular titles maybe, compilations maybe, as something like Terraria seems to have sold around that level.

I'm hoping that PQ makes somes Persona fans into EO fans.

I would not mind if they want to make more games like PQ, but I also need my EO. I'm seriously hoping we get EO5 announced soon.

They are going to fire whoever is responsible for this:

TpIPKxH.png

And give the EO series a more mature approach, with plot and cast.

Hey, leave Yuji Himukai out of this! His art is part of what makes EO special.

I'd say the same about Kaneko with SMT but yeah.... :(

RalchAC

Worldwide, right?

I think they should keep releasing more Etrian Odyssey games. and try and make a new SMT spin-off with those gameplay mechanics or even a new IP to see how it does there.

Etrian Odyssey aren't heavy hitters, but they have a dedicated audience (like most Atlus stuff) and give them money, so everything is good. Having a diverse IP roster is always nice.

Shining Odyssey
Phantasy Star Odyssey
Sonic Odyssey

Pachinko Odyssey?

You're an adicted to pachinko that looks for money under those machines / sofas / phone cabines / whatever. Each time you start to look for some yens you enter a dungeon. There is a "self-awareness bar" for non-dungeon time that changes as you make decisions. There are three endings. In one you overcome your addiction. In the second you become millionaire by using those machines. In the last one you become millionaire but you lose your money and burn Sega Sammy offices in revenge.

Yup. PS3 HD of 3rd did more than twice that in Japan and I am sure it would help the series make some in roads in the West as well. Only problem is the cross save or whatever you call it and if it is deemed necessary or viable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Yup. PS3 HD of 3rd did more than twice that in Japan and I am sure it would help the series make some in roads in the West as well. Only problem is the cross save or whatever you call it and if it is deemed necessary or viable.

I am also shocked that you two would feel this way.

The question is really what kind of deal nintendo and capcom has for 4. I'm sure capcom will port whatever the contract allows them to.

gngf123

Strange Journey 2, now with map drawing.

But seriously, I really hope they keep PQ as it's own one off special thing. Last thing we need is for Atlus to milk Persona more than they already are. I would hope that PQ would maybe bring people around to trying EO but there seems to be a portion of the Persona fanbase who refuse to touch other MegaTen games, or are unaware that Persona is a spin-off, so I wouldn't bet on there being many.

Still, I'm sure there will be a few so that's good.

3U HD sold well, and 4U HD would probably sell a lot more.

I think timing is the problem here, Capcom won't release 4U and 4U HD at the same time in Japan, they want people to double dip, and on top of that, they are still working on 4U.

Maybe 4U HD will a be 4DS launch title, out Holiday 2015. :p

Top Bottom