• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2015 (May 25 - May 31)

L~A

I said this before, but some people are wondering if the puzzle is something else.

In the link it says "Ika manjuu" (steamed squid)

But if we switch syllables => "Ika juuman" => 10万 (100.000)

Squid 100.000?

Yeah... 55k sounds more realistic.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, golly! Devil's Third preorders just started, and it's third on Amazon.co.jp! Can't wait to see how it'll sell in the overall ma-oh, wait.

L~A

Well that's not surprising. Most games top the hourly Amazon chart when pre-orders are open.

Honestly not surprised by the Amazon.co.jp exclusivity. Retailers probably haven't forgotten Yakuza 1&2HD or The Wonderful 101. Shame Nintendo is just sending the game to die, but that's not really surprising. Even if the Wii U was healthy, D3 always struck me as a west-focused title.

duckroll

Well that's not surprising. Most games top the hourly Amazon chart when pre-orders are open.

Honestly not surprised by the Amazon.co.jp exclusivity. Retailers probably haven't forgotten Yakuza 1&2HD or The Wonderful 101. Shame Nintendo is just sending the game to die, but that's not really surprising. Even if the Wii U was healthy, D3 always struck me as a west-focused title.

Do you think Nintendo of America sees it as an important title?

Mpl90

Well, to be honest, I believe they will, at least...well, release it at retail available everywhere, not just Amazon.co.jp. That's surely more than NCL's consideration for the game!

Lack of price protection and returns probably contributes to the inability to get retail to carry the product in Japan.

At the same time, since this will bomb everywhere, I doubt that NoA is planning on a particularly wide distribution.

Mpl90

Hmmmm....

Well, even if in small quantities, it'll be in more stores than just one (online) retailer though! That's logically more, duck! It's math, you can't deny math!

Seriously, yeah, as said by shinra, it won't be distributed that widely (and I'd say not even for that long, if I'm allowed).

hiska-kun

100,000 in its second week? No way, I don't believe it. I would be surprised as fuck. Those would be great sales. Maybe it means 10万以下 lol

Sub 10k.

ika manjuu => juuman ika 10万以下 (less than 100k)
Yeah, but how much is that? 95k? 55k? 10k? lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Devil's Third seems to be the definition of getting something cheap to fill in the line-up. I think Nintendo has the expectation well in check with this one. If they didn't write it of already.

L~A

More than NCL, that's for sure.

But that's not really my point. D3 clearly targets a western audience first and foremost, and was going to have limited exposure in Japan. Kind of like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (which didn't even get a Japanese dub and came several months after NA).

Lack of price protection and returns probably contributes to the inability to get retail to carry the product in Japan.

At the same time, since this will bomb everywhere, I doubt that NoA is planning on a particularly wide distribution.

Since NoE just announced the EU date (August 28th) out of nowhere, it's clear it won't be featured in the DE... so NoA will most likely go for a limited run (not sure about retailer exclusive though).

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised that even if this was another GameStop exclusive with a limited run, it'd sell more during the first month in the US than LTD in Japan (without the Amazon exclusivity).

With how the Wii U has been selling, how adult-focused titles have been selling on the platform, that limited release in Japan seemed inevitable.

Mpl90

Ok duckroll, at this point I fear you know something, between your posts here and in the other DT's thread. Tell us, is DT an eShop exclusive in US? That'd be the only scenario where NoA would fall behind NCL in making the game available at retail (going from 1 to 0)

duckroll

Ok duckroll, at this point I fear you know something, between your posts here and in the other DT's thread. Tell us, is DT an eShop exclusive in US? That'd be the only scenario where NoA would fall behind NCL in making the game available at retail (going from 1 to 0)

I'm pretty sure it'll have a retail release in the US. But I have good reason to believe that NoA isn't very interested in the title themselves.

Mpl90

I'm pretty sure it'll have a retail release in the US. But I have good reason to believe that NoA isn't very interested in the title themselves.

Mmh...limited run across several retailers, exclusivity for one or...what they did with The Last Story, i.e. a third party publisher doing the job for a Nintendo title? This is getting interesting, somehow.

wrowa

I don't think anyone at Nintendo cares for Devil's Third. That has been quite apparent for a year now. The announcement of it at last year's E3 was very low-key and they didn't even try to hype it up. Since then, Nintendo has done its best to ignore the existence of the title as much as possible. Most of the marketing so far has been done by Itagaki on Facebook, lol.

Heck, when I talked to NoE's PR last year, he was happy to talk about everything they've shown at E3. With the exception of D3, which was just met with "I don't have anything to say about that".

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but I don't think that Nintendo is particularly happy with the title. And, of course, its sales potential is absoluetly terrible. I actually feel bad for the people designing the multiplayer, since I can't imagine that it'll be alive for longer than a month.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Gamestop exclusive, or Xseed distribution?
In the first case, Devil's FOURTH confirmed a one of the main focus for NX, in the other case Devil's Battle for iOS coming next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Surprising to me that Devil's Third is an Amazon exclusive. Makes sense in a way, but i find it surprising that not even dedicated gaming will have the possibility to stock it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think anyone at Nintendo cares for Devil's Third. That has been quite apparent for a year now. The announcement of it at last year's E3 was very low-key and they didn't even try to hype it up. Since then, Nintendo has done its best to ignore the existence of the title as much as possible. Most of the marketing so far has been done by Itagaki on Facebook, lol.

Heck, when I talked to NoE's PR last year, he was happy to talk about everything they've shown at E3. With the exception of D3, which was just met with "I don't have anything to say about that".

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but I don't think that Nintendo is particularly happy with the title. And, of course, its sales potential is absoluetly terrible. I actually feel bad for the people designing the multiplayer, since I can't imagine that it'll be alive for longer than a month.
Have we even seen gameplay of it since last E3?

Edit: just saw the trailer posted interested.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Completely agree. We are talking about a branch that sometimes have issues about caring about their legit quality first party titled like Xenoblade.

Devils 3rd will bomb. It won't get a successor. Their is no synergy between this game and other Nintendo initiatives like their mascots, Amiibos etc.Everyone involved in it knows it's a one time deal, that wouldn't have found its way onto WiiU if the developers weren't that desperate for funding.

It would have been something else if this was a really good looking title like Bayonetta but in terms of giving a shit Devils 3rd is likely below most of their own eShop titles like Pushmo.

Though it's good to see them releasing the title at all. Some might argue that dropping it all together might have been an easy decision.

Mpl90

So, hiska, crinale...did you solve the blog's riddles, after all? In the case, what are the leaks?

casiopao

Surprising to me that Devil's Third is an Amazon exclusive. Makes sense in a way, but i find it surprising that not even dedicated gaming will have the possibility to stock it.

Well Nintendo STEAM just bombed so bad that i feel it scared out the retailer which is why they are giving the title for Amazon exclusive here.

I mean,the most this title will be able to sell maybe 10k? which should be better than 101 right?

hiska-kun

~100k for Splatoon is not that crazy given the circumstances. More than 97% sell-through first week, high demand, commercials still running, good word of mouth, leggy game (usually 50-55% second week drop)...

But all of us here know that Nintendo didn't ship 100k. So 55k remains being the safest bet.

Mpl90

Isn't Amazon pretty unimportant in Japan compared to retailers?

As I said quoting what shinra said earlier in the thread, the 3,000 people who have preordered the game on Amazon will be the happiest people in Japan right now.

Also, I fear we have no info about market shares for retailers, like we had for US instead. I remember prodigy asked several times about it, with no answers...I guess there's no information at all on the matter, right?

test_account

XP-39C²
Well Nintendo STEAM just bombed so bad that i feel it scared out the retailer which is why they are giving the title for Amazon exclusive here.

I mean,the most this title will be able to sell maybe 10k? which should be better than 101 right?
That might be, but i'm sure that some retailers want to stock it :) But i guess it doesnt make that much of a difference overall sales wise for this game if its Amazon exclusive or not.

L~A

Media Create:

Wii U 21,169
PS4 11,763
Vita 10,829
New3DS LL 10,677
New3DS 4,086
PS3 2,716
3DS 2,089
3DS LL 1,039
Vita TV 610
Xbox One 219

Splatoon week 2: 68.9k
Stella Glow: 13k
Atelier 3DS: 8k

Wow... Wii U actually went up.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Media Create:

Wii U 21,169
PS4 11,763
Vita 10,829
New3DS LL 10,677
New3DS 4,086
PS3 2,716
3DS 2,089
3DS LL 1,039
Vita TV 610
Xbox One 219

Splatoon week 2: 68.9k
Stella Glow: 13k
Atelier 3DS: 8k

RISSEEEEE!

Kathian

Banned
Your a kid now!
Your a squid now!
Your a number one selling console now!

3DS numbers all kinds of bad but at least it can excuse itself by being the oldest hardware!

Top Bottom