• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

KtSlime

Putting it at 4 million based on whether "Nintendo stocks enough" doesn't also warrant it selling 4 million in a year though?

It can have the most amazing line up of games in Japan. So did PS4 and Wii U, but that did not earn them 4 million units of hardware sold in a year. Especially today, where home console sales are at an all time low in Japan.

You are saying the Switch will single handely revive the entire console industry in Japan (which has been dead since Apple took over the world), because... it has a killer line up of games?

The hype is for the Switch is crazy, I know. But it would literally have to freeze hell or shake the entire console industry in Japan for it to sell 4 or 3 million.

Perchance you have never heard anything about the Switch? It is a home console that you can take with you. That bold text holds value that the PS4 and Wii U do not have. If you can take it with you it can sell 4million+ a year, if you can't it won't.

Fularu

Banned
Anyone more knowledgeable than me explain Seiken Densetsu Collection's performance? I genuinely do not get how it sold 30K copies.
This is the first time Seiken Densetsu 3 has been made available in a portable form with non compromises I believe.

It may even be the first rerelease (baring the Wii VC, I'm not sure it's available for 3DS VC).

I can't think of anything else really

Fdkn

I know many of you are going to feel upset and insulted about this post but Smash performing different than every other fighting game is easy to explain if you acknowledge that more people see it as a party game and they don't care at all about fighting games.

Pokken is a pure fighting game with Pokemon characters and it performed like any other fighting game because the party audience doesn't see value in it.

Now I have no intention of debating this because nobody is going to change his view on this matter.

Fularu

Banned
I know many of you are going to feel upset and insulted about this post but Smash performing different than every other fighting game is easy to explain if you acknowledge that more people see it as a party game and they don't care at all about fighting games.

Pokken is a pure fighting game with Pokemon characters and it performed like any other fighting game because the party audience doesn't see value in it.

Now I have no intention of debating this because nobody is going to change his view on this matter.
Smash is a lifestyle!

Man, its not selling 4 million in japan in a year lol.
My dude, I can see that you're trying really, really hard, but you can't just pray for the Switch to stop selling like that. You should probably hijack a cargo ship and hold it for ransom or something if you really want it to stop selling.

phanphare

Banned
Perchance you have never heard anything about the Switch? It is a home console that you can take with you. That bold text holds value that the PS4 and Wii U do not have. If you can take it with you it can sell 4million+ a year, if you can't it won't.

and the home console you can take with you has only been NoA's positioning if I'm remembering correctly, not Japan

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

If I'm not mistaken, Pokken is the best-selling recent fighter outside of Smash in Japan right? It sold 170K LTD in Japan on a 2016 Wii U when Nintendo was killing stock...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Small size games get a bit better digital sales than average. Both Street Fighter and Seiken could get some additional sales from there. The 100k LTD prediction for Seiken that was laughed might not be very far. Famitsu sell-through will give a better estimate for initial shipment.

Toni

So since it hasn't happened since means it will never happen again is your argument. It's pretty obvious by now that the Switch isn't following any recent trends for console sales in Japan and is more closely mirroring handhelds.

The Switch did see an amazing opening, but so did other successful consoles when they first open up for purchase. And we also also did see stock constraints for most of them. But its counter-productive to think that because of the portability of the Switch and having a solid line up for this year in Japan (and stock problems that can be remedied), that if all this factors deliver positively, it would warrant a whopping 3 or 4 million in Japan alone.

We are talking about the Switch reviving the console market and almost beating or beating the PS4 entire sold-through figures in Japan in 1 year.

I just don't see that happening, sorry.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The Switch did see an amazing opening, but so did other successful consoles when they first open up for purchase. And we also also did see stock constraints for most of them. But its counter-productive to think that because of the portability of the Switch and having a solid line up for this year in Japan (and stock problems that can be remedied), that if all this factors deliver positively, it would warrant a whopping 3 or 4 million in Japan alone.

We are talking about the Switch reviving console market, almost beating or beating the PS4 entire sold-through figures in Japan in 1 year

I think the problem is that you're viewing it as a home console. Looking at the sales in Japan thus far, that's not how the Japanese are viewing it, ESPECIALLY if it officially becomes the successor to the 3DS (which thus far it has). The Switch won't be reviving the console market, it'll just be keeping the portable one alive thanks to being a hybrid.

Also the PS4 & Wii U showed immediate drops in sales after a couple weeks at most. They sold terribly outside of maybe 2-3 weeks. Switch is not like that and is still sold out showing there's decent demand still. Also you said successful home consoles? We haven't had one in a LONG while in Japan lol.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The Switch did see an amazing opening, but so did other successful consoles when they first open up for purchase. And we also also did see stock constraints for most of them.

No. Take a look at the weekly totals of PS4, Wii U, and PSV at the same point. Switch is outselling all of them on a weekly basis in the face of severe supply constraints. Its selling about equal with 3DS, but I think we all agree that's due to supply and not demand.

KtSlime

and the home console you can take with you has only been NoA's positioning if I'm remembering correctly, not Japan

Eh, their slogan/catch phrase at the end of commercials is pretty much a variation of this "Whenever, Wherever, and with Whomever, Nintendo Switch". Their webpage refers to it using the words that have been used with home consoles and not portables, however no one cares about those kinds of things (except some people on GAF).

It's obvious to anyone who has seen even a few seconds of the Switch that this is a device what you can play whenever, wherever, and with whomever, and that is much more important than if it is a home or portable console.

Toni

What consoles are you referring to?

I'm mainly referring to the PS2 and Wii. The Wii had pretty substantial stock problems in 2006 that was stated Ninty themselves. Sony has always had stock problems with their console releases.

Celine

I'm mainly referring to the PS2 and Wii. The Wii had pretty substantial stock problems in 2006 that was stated Ninty themselves. Sony has always had stock problems with their console releases.
But then both PS2 and Wii had YTD > 3M in Japan so why Switch can't?

Are you lost and confused? 170k is great for a 2016 Wii U game missing all those arcade updates. Smash isn't the lone success story here.

I bet Pokken DX, Dissidia NT and Arms are all going to do pretty well too. The genre's far from dead.

No I just wanted you to give me a good reason.

Which you are still failing to provide.

Besides Pokken you aren't really giving examples of other titles that are already out that are successful. I understand that there is a strong Nintendo bias at work here in the thread, which leads to Arms being pointed to as another successful title. Just as I have a strong anti nintendo bias so I pay less attention to their successful results.

But you also choose to ignore other "successful" titles. If we are going by the top 100 Famitsu numbers, which I assume you are since you brought up that 160K Pokken number, that it did after about a year of sales. The most stand out thing should be actually the number of Xenoverse games in the top 100. Actually if you look at it the top 100 list is dominated by Bamco fighting games. Which are all primarily licensed properties with strong brands that are either popular now or used to be in the past.

However those top 100 lists don't feature any of the "traditional" fighting game franchises or developers. Capcom or SNK weren't on the list and neither were Virtua Fighter or Tekken. Of course a large reason for that was because there were far fewer entries in those franchises or they were dead entirely. I don't see how this doesn't speak to the weakness of the genre. So please give me a good reason for finding a new narrative.

ill give the switch 3 million for sure
but 4 is a stretch imho we'll see

8.8 million is insane

how many console in the us ever sold over 8m in a year?
afaik the Xbox 360 peak year was 7.9 or 8.1 million
and the us is 3 times as big population wise.

Kureransu

Nope it was referred to as a home console by Kimishima himself during the January Switch reveal.

The message and identity I'm pretty sure has been consistent across the all markets.

We are talking about the Switch reviving the console market and almost beating or beating the PS4 entire sold-through figures in Japan in 1 year.

was going to disagree with you, but with the current stock issues, I think we're looking at 3-3.5 million at best. I'm thinking end of june will be 1 million. july-nov will be another 1.5 million and december will be 1 million as well. December is HUGE for nintendo in japan. just look at Wii U numbers for december 2012-2015.

noshten

Small size games get a bit better digital sales than average. Both Street Fighter and Seiken could get some additional sales from there. The 100k LTD prediction for Seiken that was laughed might not be very far. Famitsu sell-through will give a better estimate for initial shipment.

If Seikan is ahead of Minecraft in the Switch eShop charts during the launch week that would be a the best indication we can easily monitor.
Personally with Switch selling around 125-150K in May I don't see Minecraft doing less than 100K in May. A little over 10K per week is the minimum baseline for #1 spot I see on the Switch digital store with the current shipment numbers. Obviously Minecraft opening would be a bit bigger but in terms of baseline that's where I'd put it as a minimum. This is also in line with the amount Snipperclips sold and that was in the top 3 for the majority of the initial launch months on the Switch eShop.
So if Seikan somehow overtakes Minecraft for even a week we can safely say that it's doing at least 10-20K in terms of digital sales.

This brings up another point, do you think we are going to get these type of smaller digital only games since the performance of Snipperclips certainly warrants it. It could be the first WW digital only >1 million seller due to JoyCon Bundling.

Kimishima himself said "Nintendo Switch is a brand new kind of home gaming system that offers a wide range of diversity of playstyles"

https://youtu.be/Ntzz8O7SpWs?t=158 (2:38 - 2:43)

At 6:35 Takahashi (GM of EPD) says of the Gamecube's handle - "Even at that time, we were considering a home game system that you could take with you but it seems we were a little too soon", and that handle is the Gamecube's contribution to the Switch's DNA.

At 7:45 in the trailer showing the different hardware part, the narrator says "Nintendo Switch is a video game system for the home. You connect it to the TV to play games. When you want to play away from the TV you just remove Nintendo Switch from the dock. When you attach the L & R Joycons, you can continue playing anywhere. Nintendo Switch has been designed to be a home console gaming system that gives you the freedom to change your play style."

They've been quite insistent that it's a home console you can take with you.

Celine

It's obvious to anyone who has seen even a few seconds of the Switch that this is a device what you can play whenever, wherever, and with whomever, and that is much more important than if it is a home or portable console.
Need to be quoted.
Switch core strength is its adaptability to different playstyles/lifestyles.

Why is it counter-productive to think a console that also doubles as a hybrid/handheld, has a great 1st year lineup for that market, and has shown only that it is performing great so far, would not be able to sell as good as the 3ds at times?

Your entire argument boils down to ignoring all current trends and data, and just saying "no console has done that in a long time, it couldn't do it either"

LOCK

Not really surprised by the Switch hardware sales.

I am surprised by the Seikan collection.

Nice good indicator that classic games are actually wanted on the system. I really would like to see a DQ collection.

While I'm talking about classic games, wouldn't a FF Tactics be great on the Switch?

phanphare

Banned
Eh, their slogan/catch phrase at the end of commercials is pretty much a variation of this "Whenever, Wherever, and with Whomever, Nintendo Switch". Their webpage refers to it using the words that have been used with home consoles and not portables, however no one cares about those kinds of things (except some people on GAF).

Nope it was referred to as a home console by Kimishima himself during the January Switch reveal.

The message and identity I'm pretty sure has been consistent across the all markets.

Kimishima himself said "Nintendo Switch is a brand new kind of home gaming system that offers a wide range of diversity of playstyles"

https://youtu.be/Ntzz8O7SpWs?t=158 (2:38 - 2:43)

At 6:35 Takahashi (GM of EPD) says of the Gamecube's handle - "Even at that time, we were considering a home game system that you could take with you but it seems we were a little too soon", and that handle is the Gamecube's contribution to the Switch's DNA.

At 7:45 in the trailer showing the different hardware part, the narrator says "Nintendo Switch is a video game system for the home. You connect it to the TV to play games. When you want to play away from the TV you just remove Nintendo Switch from the dock. When you attach the L & R Joycons, you can continue playing anywhere. Nintendo Switch has been designed to be a home console gaming system that gives you the freedom to change your play style."

They've been quite insistent that it's a home console you can take with you.

welp my mistake, I don't know why I thought that

Celine

Not really surprised by the Switch hardware sales.

I am surprised by the Seikan collection.

Nice good indicator that classic games are actually wanted on the system. I really would like to see a DQ collection.

While I'm talking about classic games, wouldn't a FF Tactics be great on the Switch?
I believe that the SD collection wasn't released just because an anniversary but because it is SquareEnix classic RPG series geared toward local multiplayer.
That's the common trait shared with other similar initiatives which were showed since the January presentation (namely Puyo Puyo Tetris, Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Super Bomberman R).
From the beginning Nintendo is courting the audience for classic franchises and local multiplayer which makes absolutely sense considering Switch nature and Nintendo core strengths.

13ruce

Banned
Im baffled as to why you keep citing information why it wont sell 4 million, the thought itself is impossible.

No console has ever sold that much in a year in Japan.

And this is isnt the early 2000's. There is a huge contrast in home console sales now.

The Switch would have to sell at insane proportions in a weekly basis for that to even be feasible, which means selling more than the PS2 and Wii did on a weekly basis in their peak. Which is an impossible feat with the status of japan's console market today.

It's also a handheld something that does very well in Japan so why compare it to ps2 and not to ds or 3ds/psp?

It's a hybrid whatever bs Nintendo says you can handheld game with it.

noshten

It's also a handheld something that does very well in Japan so why compare it to ps2 and not to ds or 3ds/psp?

It's a hybrid whatever bs Nintendo says you can handheld game with it.

Hybrid brings the best of both worlds:

- two player multiplayer on the go
- docks into a TV
- huge upgrade compared to prior gen dedicated handhelds

Fiendcode

Besides Pokken you aren't really giving examples of other titles that are already out that are successful. I understand that there is a strong Nintendo bias at work here in the thread, which leads to Arms being pointed to as another successful title. Just as I have a strong anti nintendo bias so I pay less attention to their successful results.

But you also choose to ignore other "successful" titles. If we are going by the top 100 Famitsu numbers, which I assume you are since you brought up that 160K Pokken number, that it did after about a year of sales. The most stand out thing should be actually the number of Xenoverse games in the top 100. Actually if you look at it the top 100 list is dominated by Bamco fighting games. Which are all primarily licensed properties with strong brands that are either popular now or used to be in the past.

However those top 100 lists don't feature any of the "traditional" fighting game franchises or developers. Capcom or SNK weren't on the list and neither were Virtua Fighter or Tekken. Of course a large reason for that was because there were far fewer entries in those franchises or they were dead entirely. I don't see how this doesn't speak to the weakness of the genre. So please give me a good reason for finding a new narrative.
Pokken's the reason. So is Xenoverse. If your narrative is only Smash doing well means the genre's dead, but you and I can both name other fighters that are also doing well, that means you need a new narrative. Simple.

Capcom stumbled with SF and Namco with Tekken. VF is dead and buried, KOF hasn't been a leading seller in 3 generations now. It's not the 90s anymore but that doesn't mean the genre is dead because the top sellers are different.

"Famitsu digital sales" aren't sales - they are guesses especially when it comes to Nintendo. Unless Nintendo themselves come out and provide digital numbers all we can do is speculate.
Famitsu is the only tracker that provides these estimates and all I'm using them for is to provide context about potential digital adoption in Japan for BotW. I used MC numbers because they are easiest to locate in threads.
In the end digital sales could be lower or higher but we have no way of knowing so we work with these numbers since they are the only known ones.

I still don't understand the underlining problem is. Is it a great crime I've committed by using Famitsu digital estimates and MC numbers? Is there some sort of MC Rule Book I aint following?

It has always been taboo to mix trackers, especially without noting it as you originally did. You don't know the methodology of either tracker. It is quite likely Media Create includes some sort of digital estimate in their sales number and Famitsu breaks it out into the separate charts.

Some one else who is more knowledgeable on the matter probably could elaborate a bit more than I can.

Passose

Banned
Arms and Splatoon aren't far. Soon we'll see how much stock Nintendo can provive and not only at their launch weeks. Until then everything else is the usual clueless GAF prediction of the future.
imagine the meltdowns if they ship below 20k during Arms launch

casiopao

Seiken did really great like wth lol.O_O S-E is going to be damn happy that their ROM dump game is doing that well.^^ Guess even without any proper game on traditional game platform, their collabs with many mobile games like Chain Chronicle collab and having a proper mobile game itself makes the franchise still kinda alive for Jp fans.^^

Also, 20k people bought SFII lol. Capcom must be laughing like crazy.T_T

Switch is decreasing as there are lesser stocks huh. Now, lets see if Nintendo would up the number of Switch in the day ARMS is released.

.....lol.>o<

casiopao

I know right? Bring on Seiken 5!!! Although also I hope Square Enix decides to randomly localize this...

Who would've thought this would open BETTER than DQHeroes I+II lol...

Seiken 5 should be a great moves actually.^^ I can see it does really well.^^

Of course it will do better than DQH 1 and 2 lol. The crazy pricing and bad performance probably kill any chance of it doing well.^^

Famitsu has Seiken at 30k too with initial shipment between 50 and 75k.

I can see it reaching 50k easily lol.O_O

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
No Switch game has seen massive price reduction as far as I know. Increased console shipments next weeks will help legs of older titles too.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good numbers for Seiken Densetsu collection, but not a big surprise, in my opinion. The Mario, Kirby and Dragon Quest collections all did very well. Seiken Densetsu isnt on the same level regarding popularity in comparison, but its not exactly an unknown serie either :)

Are you lost and confused? 170k is great for a 2016 Wii U game missing all those arcade updates. Smash isn't the lone success story here.

I bet Pokken DX, Dissidia NT and Arms are all going to do pretty well too. The genre's far from dead.
Whats the point with the dissing?

The defintion of being a dead genre is kinda loose. I mean, Tekken 7 did nearly 60k. Isolated, that is still a fair share of copies. These games used to sell much more however, Tekken was once a million seller. Its also likely that games like Pokken would have sold much more many years ago.

What do people expect from Pokken Switch by the way? Do people think that the WiiU held back the sales potential a lot?

Top Bottom