• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

Chauzu

I agree that XX not being localized is a strange move from Capcom but XX is a spin-off and World is the next big Monster Hunter game, can you guess which one takes precedent for them?

I do see XX getting Western release sometime later in 2018 though.

I could guess but Capcom not communicating with us is a big part of the reason a lot of people are rightfully upset.

Madouu

I have seen the original reveal thread where people where trying to label it as spin-off.

And rightfully so because of what they showed during the reveal.

We have had more details since on the gameplay which have cleared up this misunderstanding. It's very much on Capcom's part.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe them not localizing XX yet is because:

1. The Switch version isn't released yet, and XX is primarily still targeted to the Japanese demographics (hence localization wasn't in mind).
2. The game just came out a few months ago.
3. Wasn't it Nintendo who published the past MH games and they came out a year or so after?

I think XX is definitely coming out in English, but with the help of Nintendo and will come out more than a year after the Switch version.

noshten

If they are working on a Switch MH game they won't announce it until MHW is out. Also one of the main reasons to have MHW on PS4/Xbox/PC is probably Sony putting it's marketing muscle behind the game in the West, so announcing a localization of MHXX might be part of the deal between Sony and Capcom. I'm sure if Sony is footing the marketing bill for MHW they wouldn't want focus shifted to a different MH in the West in anyway.

Why would we assume that though?

I'm basing that projection on how well other mid-tier Japanese franchises tend to sell on PS4. Nioh, Persona 5, and Nier as recent examples. 1.5m-ish seems to be about size of the potential audience for bigger, but not AAA Japanese games in the west.

Forgot about Steam though, that will definitely be a good chunk of sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
I do think there's a difference here considering a MH game has already been announced for Switch then again WiiU also got MH so it's by no means an absolute indication of future support :p

There are a few uncertainties about World. We know given sales history on consoles in Japan that this will very likely not pull numbers comparable to the portable installments, and we also know that it's up to the game showing considerable growth in the West for this to be a worthwhile investment. I think if that happens, MH could simply consolidate on the home console platforms as we saw with the 3DS the past few years.

But they obviously have an insurance in case that doesn't happen as Portable MH is still very much a big deal in Japan.
Vita didn't get a port of a main MH game in its first year, though :p
I agree, i was mostly jokining with that post :) It seemed so certain back in the days that the Vita would get a Monster Hunter game as well, especially after the huge success on PSP and that Capcom demoed MH3P with dual sticks during the Vita announcement. But as we know, Vita didnt get a MH game (well it got Frontier, but that wasnt what people were expecting).

I think either Capcom is developing two MH games now, or they're going the route like they did with MH3 and MHP3. Releasing a console version first, see how it does, and then do a portable version (or a new game) after that.

And rightfully so because of what they showed during the reveal.

We have had more details since on the gameplay which have cleared up this misunderstanding. It's very much on Capcom's part.
When I saw it, I didn't exactly look at it as spin-off. Partly because of the rumor as well which already confirmed a Western Monster Hunter.

I could guess but Capcom not communicating with us is a big part of the reason a lot of people are rightfully upset.
Capcom's communication has been shit for years now. If you still can't see it, then you just don't know Capcom.

SFV was exclusive to PS4/PC
Dead Rising 3/4 were exclusive to XBO/PC

They have never cared to explain the business decisions that they keep making again and again. Similarly they have released a bunch of games that could have benefited from multiplatform releases but they don't do it. They have a strange definition of doing business, it seems.

I don't know it got the not on switch MH5, xx and switch port. While guessing all of those individually is not hard at all, at the same time is reasonably unlikely.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it could have been someone who got correct information and mixed it with fanboy conjecture to paint a negative picture.

duckroll

What do you think are Capcom's target on this? I will be surprised if it sells much more than 2M in the west.

2 million is the floor. 4-5 million should be the prime target. If not, why bother revamping it as much as they did and putting it on the platforms it's on?

I'm basing that projection on how well other mid-tier Japanese franchises tend to sell on PS4. Nioh, Persona 5, and Nier as recent examples. 1.5m-ish seems to be about size of the potential audience for bigger, but not AAA Japanese games in the west.

Forgot about Steam though, that will definitely be a good chunk of sales.

Are you really comparing a flagship franchise with Nioh, Persona 5, and Nier? Like, really? If Capcom is really serious about this, the marketing costs for MHW alone should dwarf the entire budgets for those games.

Whether people buy into that will depend on the timing and the game itself of course.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
As I mentioned in the other thread, it could have been someone who got correct information and mixed it with fanboy conjecture to paint a negative picture.
Yeah but the specific core details have been surprising accurate. Which is what I'm referring to in the likelihood of MH5/p.

Which I honestly think was almost certainly going to happen in light of this regardless of the rumour as this game is not in the slightest bit geared towards Japan.

Branduil

What do you think are Capcom's target on this? I will be surprised if it sells much more than 2M in the west, as that is putting them on Souls level of success.

2 million worldwide would be really bad, Capcom definitely expects more than that. Whether or not they'll get it is the question.

I think at the end of the day, Monster Hunter World should be able to clear between 2 to 3 million worldwide.

PC - 500k+
PS4 (Japan) - 500k-700k
PS4/XBO - 1-1.5 million

Now I can't say whether this will satisfy Capcom.

Maybe them not localizing XX yet is because:

1. The Switch version isn't released yet, and XX is primarily still targeted to the Japanese demographics (hence localization wasn't in mind).
2. The game just came out a few months ago.
3. Wasn't it Nintendo who published the past MH games and they came out a year or so after?

I think XX is definitely coming out in English, but with the help of Nintendo and will come out more than a year after the Switch version.

Yes nintendo published MH in the west. I think generations was the best selling one so far? I would be surprised if XX doesnt make it but im getting the japanese version anyways
I think at the end of the day, Monster Hunter World should be able to clear between 2 to 3 million worldwide.

PC - 500k+
PS4 (Japan) - 500k-700k
PS4/XBO - 1-1.5 million

What did dark souls 3 sell like?
That should be their primary target audience
I agree, i was mostly jokining with that post :) It seemed so certain back in the days that the Vita would get a Monster Hunter game as well, especially after the huge success on PSP and that Capcom demoed MH3P with dual sticks during the Vita announcement. But as we know, Vita didnt get a MH game (well it got Frontier, but that wasnt what people were expecting).

I think either Capcom is developing two MH games now, or they're going the route like they did with MH3 and MHP3. Releasing a console version first, see how it does, and then do a portable version (or a new game) after that.

mHP3 was considerably different to MH Tri though

Arynio

I just have to say that the reaction from Nintendo fans is hilarious in the Monster Hunter thread.

So Capcom keeps the series exclusive to Nintendo for ages and no one bats an eye. Then they announce Monster Hunter World for PS4/XBO/PC with western release and somehow everyone is up in arms about it, going as far as to say that they are now done with the series. I love all the salt :D

I do think XX needs to be localized for the Switch though, so hopefully that comes through at a later date. But it is most likely not happening until World releases first.

The official website lists only PS4 and PS4 Pro version in Japan so I don't think they will bother with Xbox One there.

WHAT? Do you happen to live under a rock beyond the Hebra Mountains?

There's been nothing more eye-batting-inducing than MH for the last decade.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you including the PC release in that projection?

I believe the PC version will be late by a significant margin, reducing their initial sales potential by a lot and not being counted for the fiscal year for Capcom. It will limp to good sales after discounts over the years, though.

I think it's pretty telling when every interview and marketing piece for the game in Japan emphasizes on the GLOBAL importance of this title. It's almost like they're hanging up a huge sign saying "YO READERS THIS GAME IS NOT REALLY FOR YOU!" or something.

Its not called 5. spin off or not (MHX and XX are also no spinoffs but definately not numbeed titles) thats the biggest telling there is

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you really comparing a flagship franchise with Nioh, Persona 5, and Nier? Like, really? If Capcom is really serious about this, the marketing costs for MHW alone should dwarf the entire budgets for those games.

While a juggernaut in Japan, I don't see the MH brand being bigger than Persona 5 in the west atm. And Capcom marketing means little these days. RE was once one of the biggest gaming brands and 7 disappointed despite critics acclaim. And lets not talk about SFV...

Whether people buy into that will depend on the timing and the game itself of course.

Yes? Doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to me to compare it to Japanese games of a similar size and scope. 4-5m sales in the west would be closer to Final Fantasy numbers. That seems like a pretty damn long shot.

PC - 500k+
PS4 (Japan) - 500k-700k
PS4/XBO - 1-1.5 million

I'd say a little more in Japan and hitting the upper limit of your PS4/XBO range there. 3m seems reasonable to me.

PC - 500k+
PS4 (Japan) - 500k-700k
PS4/XBO - 1-1.5 million

If their goal is growth of the franchise we should be looking at 5-6 million ww at least. The series already made 4 million ww on a much lower budget. If it ends up selling considerably less it would be a pretty bad outcome for Capcom. It's a big gamble, I hope it pays off for them or the part about support from Sony is true.

I feel like 4m WW should be the minimum. MH4, 4U and Generations all shipped around that. It would be weird for the next major game to fall short of it by about a 1-1.5m. The whole initiative behind this project is to stimulate growth through leveraging the West better than having it on a handheld did.

While a juggernaut in Japan, I don't see the MH brand being bigger than Persona 5 in the west atm. And Capcom marketing means little these days. RE was once one of the biggest gaming brands and 7 disappointed despite critics acclaim. And lets not talk about SFV...
The decline of RE has less to do with marketing and more to do with going survival horror in first person.

RE 4-5-6 Remasters that had zero new content still sold atleast million each proving the series still has huge potential, just not for survival horror focused first person shooters.

I can bet that if they go back to third person action focused game with some of the classic RE characters, it can easily sell 5+ million.

sphinx

the piano man
I just came here to eat crow, for now at least.

I firmly believed Switch would get a mainline MH but it doesn't seem to be the case.

that's a very very brave move by Capcom. Here the challenges I see arising:

.- On nintendo hardware, MH was a top, stellar, extensively showcased series. On PS4/PC/X1 they are just one of the bunch. PS4 players are busy as fuck, specially in 2017 an beyond. They probably expect to get those sales from a 3-way multiplatform model but I am still not sure it will pay off, I am sceptical.

.- The series has already tried to thrive on PS2 and Wii already,that failed. Capcom has the extra job of making people believe "this time it's totally best enjoyed on a home console! honest!"

.- Probably a personal opinion but it looks very subpar...in a world in which players have visual powerhouses like Horizon as reference, I am not sure this game will generate visual hype of any kind.

.- The naming, it was a lose-lose situation anyway. "oh, it's called "world"? it's a spin-off probably not worth my time", "oh it's called 5? probably has shitty PS2 assets considering how the last entry looked like".

.- Japan is out of the picture.

I feel like 4m WW should be the minimum. MH4, 4U and Generations all shipped around that. It would be weird for the next major game to fall short of it by about a 1-1.5m. The whole initiative behind this project is to stimulate growth through leveraging the West better than having it on a handheld did.
The most tricky part is that World is for a completely new audience. New platforms. This is the reason it is hard to predict if this entry can sell 4 million right from the get go.

You need to look at Monster Hunter Tri for Wii to get an estimate of the low end for World. The high end on consoles/PC is not yet known but if we look at games like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, 4 million is a number that will be hard to reach unless the game sells like 1.5 million in Japan. Even looking at the 4 Million number you quoted here, 3+ million of these sales were from Japan while the rest is made up of overseas.

KtSlime

I know, right.

Like when I stepped in the Monster Hunter World trademark thread, I was convinced that MHW was a shitty western MMO-something spin-off and the real MH5 belongs to Nintendo consoles or something.

That's because it is hard to believe that capcom would take such a gamble with their most stable franchise. But I guess capcom's going to capcom.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's because it is hard to believe that capcom would take such a gamble with their most stable franchise. But I guess capcom's going to capcom.

Capcom is taking risks this gen: see RE7 and how Breath of Fire 6 became a F2P web game.

Heck I won't be surprised if DMC5 will be Switch only.

Mory Dunz

2 million is the floor. 4-5 million should be the prime target. If not, why bother revamping it as much as they did and putting it on the platforms it's on?

Wouldn't they want more than that?
w/ JP and West weren't old ones already doing like ~4-5m? And on a smaller budget I assume.
I don't have numbers in front of me though.

Laplasakos

This would also have been greenlit before any of that became clear. If that was their decision making at that time, then they are either farseers or idiots.

Japanese companies are well known for not fastjumping into next gen.

Capcom has told Dengeki that Monster Hunter World was originally called Monster Hunter 5, but they decided they preferred the name World (presumably because it was more accessible to Western audiences who had never heard of the series before).

Oh seems i was right. This is what i wrote some pages back

It doesn't look like a spin off at all. PR says it's the next game in the franchise. I guess they didn't want to name it MH5 in order to not confuse first comers to the franchise. This is basically MH5 in all except the name.

Also, seriously people believe this will not be released in Japan?

sphinx

the piano man
has there been word on whether there are microtransactions or in-game purchases or anything of that sort?

there must be something there that capcom thinks will guarantee the profits.

(sorry MC, I promise to not talk about MH when the next thread comes in a couple of hours)

The most tricky part is that World is for a completely new audience. New platforms. This is the reason it is hard to predict if this entry can sell 4 million right from the get go.

You need to look at Monster Hunter Tri for Wii to get an estimate of the low end for World. The high end on consoles/PC is not yet known but if we look at games like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, 4 million is a number that will be hard to reach unless the game sells like 1.5 million in Japan. Even looking at the 4 Million number you quoted here, 3+ million of these sales were from Japan while the rest is made up of overseas.
Yes but the rationale behind this was that the handhelds were limiting the potential for bigger sales, hence putting it on platforms with much larger userbase in the West. Of course as you say it's a new system, new ecosystem entirely, so it's not that simple that it will easily transfer to bigger sales. Will Monster Hunter stand out as unique and essential in this ecosystem? That's the risk. But for it to be worth it, they need a good foundation to start on, we'll see what their target is soon enough.

KAORIII

Neo Member
Come on, mh fan(or Nintendo fan, I don't know) should wake up and face the reality. I can still remember the time when mh3g happened, many guys were talking that there should still have a psv mainline mh game. It just make me sad :(
And the prediction of MHW sales is difficult. Maybe we should wait and see Capcom's target.

Anyway, I get a little worried about the Japanese third party support of Switch after this E3. It's much weaker than 3DS, and games like Dragon Ball Fighters and Ni no Kuni don't have a switch version is very concerning. The switch version of DQXI should release asap.

Mory Dunz

Come on, mh fan(or Nintendo fan, I don't know) should wake up and face the reality. I can still remember the time when mh3g happened, many guys were talking that there should still have a psv mainline mh game. It just make me sad :(
And the prediction of MHW sales is difficult. Maybe we should wait and see Capcom's target.

Anyway, I get a little worried about the Japanese third party support of Switch after this E3. It's much weaker than 3DS, and games like Dragon Ball Fighters and Ni no Kuni don't have a switch version is very concerning. The switch version of DQXI should release asap.

this is some of the more interesting news from all this. Not getting these games, but they were started years ago I guess.
well not more interesting than MH of course, but still

Theres differences, but MH3P isnt concidered as a totally different/new game, no? There could be differences made, but i was just thinking that they go this route, instead of creating a whole different game.

I consider it a completely different game MH3P had a different set of weapon types, no water battles which was a big thing in tri and MH3G, the town was completely different so yeah

ps4 sales are pretty disappointing if you consider how successful it is ww

pretty much the opposite of the 3ds where japan sales are great compared to its performance ww

it'll be interesting to see how much switch sales in japan help its performance ww compared to the ps4

not too surprising, they've done pretty well on 3ds

hope the fact they're taking so long means they're putting quality as a priority rather than development hell

Every console will look disappointing if its compared to PS4's overseas' sales. 4 years on and its still outselling PS2.

I think a better meter would be PS3 sales in Japan as the market change in Japan is so different to that of overseas.

Capcom has told Dengeki that Monster Hunter World was originally called Monster Hunter 5, but they decided they preferred the name World (presumably because it was more accessible to Western audiences who had never heard of the series before): http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spuvtg (http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/538/1538583/)

Given the rest of the information updates, I think we can pretty safely say this is the next mainline entry.

Capcom also told watch.impress (they're a Japanese industry site) that they're not currently planning a Switch version: https://twitter.com/BannedDino/status/874880770199965697 (http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1065192.html)

So PS4 really did get MH5 as a exclusive in Japan. I wonder if MH5 becomes the best selling MH, would the mainline series continue on PS4.

Perhaps SW will get a spin off down the line but it will definitely be some years away (2019+).

I just have to say that the reaction from Nintendo fans is hilarious in the Monster Hunter thread.

So Capcom keeps the series exclusive to Nintendo for ages and no one bats an eye. Then they announce Monster Hunter World for PS4/XBO/PC with western release and somehow everyone is up in arms about it, going as far as to say that they are now done with the series. I love all the salt :D

I do think XX needs to be localized for the Switch though, so hopefully that comes through at a later date. But it is most likely not happening until World releases first.

The official website lists only PS4 and PS4 Pro version in Japan so I don't think they will bother with Xbox One there.

The predictable knee jerk reactions by feeding into that rumour was unnecessary but funny to see develop after info came out:

"MHW is a spinoff, SW will get the real MH5" - nope
"They've westernised the game, who's developing this" - the mainline MH team and its still faithful to the game's core.
"They've dumbed it down" - nope

Also we can bury that incorrect 4 chan rumour. So many things wrong from it.

Chauzu

I don't see Switch getting a mainline Monster Hunter is ruled out. I still think the most likely scenario are two concurrent mainline series targetting different markets.

Top Bottom