• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

Mory Dunz

I'll assume MH in PS4/XBX/PC from here on until otherwise indicated.

of coruse nothing is ruled out as said above, but there's not much to go off or discuss in relation to switch MH outisde of XX now.

test_account

XP-39C²
I consider it a completely different game MH3P had a different set of weapon types, no water battles which was a big thing in tri and MH3G, the town was completely different so yeah
I see. Any reason why they removed all the weapon types from MH3 and replaced them with something else? Water battles removed can be technical limitations.

KAORIII

Neo Member
this is some of the more interesting news from all this. Not getting these games, but they were started years ago I guess.
well not more interesting than MH of course, but still

It's very weird because games like bomberman, puyo puyo tetris, Seiken Densetsu Collection sold incredibly well, but still, a lot of games missed switch.

Mory Dunz

It's very weird because games like bomberman, puyo puyo tetris, Seiken Densetsu Collection sold incredibly well, but still, a lot of games missed switch.

wouldn't call Seiken incredible.
I did think it would be announced for the west as eshop exclusive this e3...but it's an effload of text to translate so I guess I'm not surprised.

sinonobu

Banned
I don't see Switch getting a mainline Monster Hunter is ruled out. I still think the most likely scenario are two concurrent mainline series targetting different markets.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=240472809#post240472809

MHW is for the West. That's who the main target is, it's Capcom's attempt at getting a big seller outside of Japan. Its gameplay systems are being changed in order to reach that goal.

Traditional MH will continue on portable systems.

lowered-expectations-madtv-350.jpg

Alrus

I see. Any reason why they removed all the weapon types from MH3 and replaced them with something else? Water battles removed can be technical limitations.

MH Tri had brand new assets so it had way way less monsters and less weapons than Portable 3rd. That is my main worry about World (lack of content).

Anyway, have you guys discussed what game Nintendo is planning for the holidays in Japan? Surely Xenoblade 2 isn't their only releases for November/December.

These kind of posts add nothing to the discussion... Can we behave like adults?

MH Tri had brand new assets so it had way way less monsters and less weapons than Portable 3rd. That is my main worry about World (lack of content).

Anyway, have you guys discussed what game Nintendo is planning for the holidays in Japan? Surely Xenoblade 2 isn't their only releases for November/December.

These kind of posts add nothing to the discussion... Can we behave like adults?

maybe kirby is december in japan?

Chauzu

Have we discussed that Fire Emblem Warriors already have a release date in Japan? Maybe I overlooked it but it's coming out end of September, the 28th. The japanese eShop claims the game is japanese language only so I guess earlier Japan release? I was hoping we moved on from releasing games in Japan first and then west but then again I guess this game is Koei Tecmo rather than Nintendo.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
How is monhan supposed to sell more than the 1st and 2nd best selling games on the system combined when it is missing its best feature?
I'm being generous. And Even that would be a significant step down for the franchise.

The decline of RE has less to do with marketing and more to do with going survival horror in first person.

RE 4-5-6 Remasters that had zero new content still sold at least million each proving the series still has huge potential, just not for survival horror focused first person shooters.

I can bet that if they go back to third person action focused game with some of the classic RE characters, it can easily sell 5+ million.
So did ReMake and Zero, and those are pure survival horror. Those sales tell me that RE has a solid fan base that Capcom can rely on for solid numbers, but is not enough to get the 5M+ they want.

sinonobu

Banned
not sure I follow, is Matt an insider?

Yeah.

He was the first one to claim that it's coming Xbox One.

And do people really believe Capcom will abandon Switch as a platform?
I don't think they would even bother porting MHXX over if they were going to do that.

maxcriden

maybe kirby is december in japan?

I agree with those citing WW releases, but I do expect Kirby or Yoshi or both to be H1 2018 games. Kirby usually has a short window reveal to release for mainline games and Yoshi is being demoed on the show floor today at Treehouse and has a release year attached so it's not a January 2013 Direct situation.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they would even bother porting MHXX over if they were going to do that.

To me, MHXX looks like a rush job. There's no reason why it shouldn't had been day and date with the Switch version.

Yeah.

He was the first one to claim that it's coming Xbox One.

They seem awfully ill prepared to support it for the foreseeable future at the least.

xequalsy

Probably not, but I think the localisations may then be in threat unless they offload to Nintendo to do them. (Who knows if Nintendo will be willing?)

Since MHW will be their western focused MH series, there's less incentive for them to spend the money to localise the portable MH.

Edit: Any leaks for this week's data from the blog?

hiska-kun

Mario+Rabbids is 2018 in Japan.
Fire Emblem Warriors is 28th of September, and it's not a worldwide release.

So, prossibly November is Dragon Quest XI in Japan, and Fire Emblem Warriors in the west.
December for Xenoblade 2 worldwide.

sinonobu

Banned
Probably not, but I think the localisations may then be in threat unless they offload to Nintendo to do them. (Who knows if Nintendo will be willing?)

Since MHW will be their western focused MH series, there's less incentive for them to spend the money to localise the portable MH.

Edit: Any leaks for this week's data from the blog?

Yeah chances of West getting portable MH games are pretty low now unless Nintendo steps in (or if MH World flops).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: Monster Hunter stuff

1-The rumors appear to be off in that World does not appear to be a radical departure to the extent of alienating Japanese audiences. With that in mind, I think World could possibly sell more than Tri- 1.25M? I think anything more than that will be a really tall order with the lack of local coop

2-Related to point 1, and again, I know its still early, but I don't see any reason for 2 separate series. What I can see happening is a portable port to switch coming down the line that sells really well in Japan. World is on Framework and if there is one thing I have faith in, its Capcom finding a way to downport. I see no reason to go crazy on another line in the series when World appears to more an evolution then revolution.

3- Again, related to point 2, I still think evidence suggests MH will continue on Switch in some capacity. The fact that World was started before Switch was even a thing and the fact that a XX port is coming tells me they're catching up on the platform. But we'll see.

4-I still think XX Switch will be localized, but its either going to happen like in 2 months or in a year, well after World releases. And I'd bet its Nintendo that brings it over.

duckroll

Oh, I think the issue is that I was looking at retail sales and forgot about digital in Japan. 3:1 makes sense. Thanks.

I think with something like MHW though, Capcom is probably imagining something more like 1:4. They definitely want a big seller, and more importantly they want the mindshare outside of Japan. Capcom definitely doesn't seem content just being a successful domestic Japanese company like Level5. With their RE and SF brands on a decline, they desperately want to convert MH into an international brand on that same level.

L~A

Wonder why Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions already has a date in EU and NA (October 6th), but not Japan (just "Fall"). Was thinking it could be Nintendo's Mario game for December, but that'd be the first time it was released last in Japan.

Branduil

I'm assuming Monster Hunter World cost significantly more to develop than 3DS games, so they would actually have to sell more than 4/5 million to reach the same level of profit, wouldn't they?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh, I think the issue is that I was looking at retail sales and forgot about digital in Japan. 3:1 makes sense. Thanks.

I think with something like MHW though, Capcom is probably imagining something more like 1:4. They definitely want a big seller, and more importantly they want the mindshare outside of Japan. Capcom definitely doesn't seem content just being a successful domestic Japanese company like Level5. With their RE and SF brands on a decline, they desperately want to convert MH into an international brand on that same level.

I also suspect they want to be able to monetize the franchise in a way Nintendo systems are not conducive to.

It's still launch year and the system has been very supply constrained. I think pretty much any notable game going back to March is going to be a de facto "holiday" game.

Wonder why Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions already has a date in EU and NA (October 6th), but not Japan (just "Fall"). Was thinking it could be Nintendo's Mario game for December, but that'd be the first time it was released last in Japan.

you are OT

they have already set the JPN release date for Odyssey ?

Ok so now that Monster Hunter has been established as a multipaltform franchise even by Nintendo fans, what's next that should go multiplatform.

Shin Megami Tensei is already multiplatform but I hope Capcom considers Ace Attorney for other platforms as well. Exclusives don't make sense anymore. The more platforms, the better.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good luck selling that MHW you speak of.
What makes this different from "traditional MH"? Going by the info thread, it sounds essentially like MH5.

Oh, does it simply has less content? I got the impression that the weapons were different.

Zedark

Ok so now that Monster Hunter has been established as a multipaltform franchise even by Nintendo fans, what's next that should go multiplatform.

Shin Megami Tensei is already multiplatform but I hope Capcom considers Ace Attorney for other platforms as well. Exclusives don't make sense anymore. The more platforms, the better.

I think SMT and Persona make sense to go multiplatform, at least Nintendo/Playstation multiplat with probably PC as well, since both games have similarities and a comparable origin, so releasing on both PS4 and Switch/3DS and maybe PC would probably expand both significantly.

Top Bottom