• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2014 (Jun 02 - Jun 08)

TaiKH92

Banned
Great opening week for Persona Q

2574046-9812635719-i7NpL.gif

Next game to slay is Persona Dancing All Night

A month between Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2? Not bad Nintendo. This might be one of the better holding periods Wii U has.

I doubt either of those games give the Wii U anything over a 1 week small bump.

Speaking of which so what is Nintendo's 2014 looking like at this point for Wii U?

Just Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, and Smash?

duckroll

Based on the title, it's probably a collection of party minigames like Mario Party or whatever, featuring characters created by Fujiko F. Fujio. Probably nothing to get too excited about.

sörine

Banned

Speaking of which so what is Nintendo's 2014 looking like at this point for Wii U?

Just those, Captain Toad and Wii Sports Club retail. I still think something like Yoshi or Mario Party might slip in before the end of the year.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Captain Toad and possibly Mario Party 10 if I am not mistaken.

I'm quite positive Nintendo will announce HD titles in the near future for 2014. Still barren though.

On the other hand, 3DS software line-up looks solid (Yokai 2, Pokemon, Smash, Monster Hunter 4, Tales, Yoshi's New Island, etc.)

sörine;116305172 said:
Just those, Captain Toad and Wii Sports Club retail. I still think something like Yoshi or Mario Party might slip in before the end of the year.

Well 2015 at least seems like it will be a lot crazier than I thought. Splatoon, Xenoblade, Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox, and Yoshi.

3DS software line-up looks great though (Yokai 2, Pokemon, Smash, Monster Hunter 4, Tales, Yoshi's New Island, etc.)

What other titles have a shot at breaking 100k?

KtSlime

What's the translated title?

大集合藤子・F・不二雄キャラクターズ・すこし・ふしぎなドタバタパーティー!!

It's something like "A Large Gathering of Fujiko F Fujio's Characters - A Bit Wondrous Slapstick Party!!"

No chance of it ever leaving Japan/Asia, most western people probably don't know who Doraemon is.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

and Captain Toad & Wii Sports Club Retail for the rest of this year.

For third parties, I guess One Piece just released, Pac World, Kamen Battride, and Fatal Frame? Actually Hyrule is actually published by Tecmo in Japan right?

Captain Toad and possibly Mario Party 10 if I am not mistaken.

I'm quite positive Nintendo will announce HD titles in the near future for 2014. Still barren though.

On the other hand, 3DS software line-up looks solid (Yokai 2, Pokemon, Smash, Monster Hunter 4, Tales, Yoshi's New Island, etc.)

there's a tales game coming to 3ds? i didn't know this

^^

Isn't the Tales title some part of a mobile game....something like that.

So far Atlus has managed to do it twice.

Persona + Blazblue resulted in a game which far exceeded the sales of Blazblue or Guilty Gear.

Persona + Etrian has now resulted in a game which will exceed the sales of EO significantly.

It'll be interesting to see if they can do it again with P4U2 and P4D. P4D is particularly interesting because while it probably doesn't have a chance to exceed the sales of Miku at its prime on PSP, I think there's a good chance for it to exceed the sales of recent Miku games which is pretty much stuck at 150-200k now. If leveraging the Persona brand allows it to surpass the 200k which Miku sold on the Vita, that'll be certainly impressive.

See on paper this is all good. However what does this tell Atlus/SEGA. To keep making Persona spin offs? Or to continue with EO? I hope this is not a frequent thing as it may cause franchise fatigue.

SmokeMaxX

大集合藤子・F・不二雄キャラクターズ・すこし・ふしぎなドタバタパーティー!!

It's something like "A Large Gathering of Fujiko F Fujio's Characters - A Bit Wondrous Slapstick Party!!"

No chance of it ever leaving Japan/Asia, most western people probably don't know who Doraemon is.

Isn't he getting localized on Nickelodeon or something? I thought I read that somewhere. Whoops; here you go: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-09/disney-xd-to-run-doraemon-anime-in-u.s-this-summer

RalchAC

Ltd, sure. I think it'll have a ~100k opening. Am I being pessimistic here?

Project Diva f 2nd had a 160k opening. And the original Project Diva f had the same opening week when it released on Vita in 2012.

I don't think it'd sell 100k fw considering Persona popularity.

Same genre.

And sames devs as the PSP Diva games. The latter games in the series were internally developed by SEGA though.

Faustek

What is up with SCEJ continually marketing PS4 with westerners in their TV ads: http://youtu.be/nq1LRF5aLyI

I guess it's an admission that the machine has no Japanese games.

Wow that seems like a illogical advertising approach.

Also basically advertises the PS4 as a Fifa only machine

Feels pretty spot on to me.
Dick riding the world cup hype.
Pushing the share functionality.
Trying to push the world wide appeal that works in the west. I refuse to believe that Japanese gets upset/lose interest just because there are "foreigners" in the adds(stupid theory I heard before).

But yes, Japanese perhaps just wants japanese software (not really) but it's the bigger sales market.

Comgnet's is just their chains pre-orders?
And do they usually reflect with some certainty the overall market? Or does it wildly fluctuate?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorders comparison, as of June 13th, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 72pt + 65pt = 137pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 324pt + 242pt = 566pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride Wars - 109pt + 47pt = 156pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride Wars 2 - 70pt + 20pt = 90pt

[PS4] Watch Dogs - 26pt

Feels pretty spot on to me.
Dick riding the world cup hype.
Pushing the share functionality.
Trying to push the world wide appeal that works in the west. I refuse to believe that Japanese gets upset/lose interest just because there are "foreigners" in the adds(stupid theory I heard before).

But yes, Japanese perhaps just wants japanese software (not really) but it's the bigger sales market.

Yeah and isn't world cup pretty big event in Japan too? At least if I remember right during last world cup Japanese matches had pretty insane tv ratings.

BriBri

I've been sent a scan (not even sure which magazine!) of a Hero Bank sequel.

And the second iOS million seller is coming to 3DS
Gunma no Yabou - eShop only

hiska-kun

So at the end no Youkai Watch 2 for the campaign. You lost the chance, Nintendo.
They added Yoshi which releases In July. lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So at the end no Youkai Watch 2 for the campaign. You lost the chance, Nintendo.
They added Yoshi which releases In July. lol

They would be dumb to add a new million.seller like YW2 into the programm.

Project Diva f 2nd had a 160k opening. And the original Project Diva f had the same opening week when it released on Vita in 2012.

I don't think it'd sell 100k fw considering Persona popularity.

And sames devs as the PSP Diva games. The latter games in the series were internally developed by SEGA though.
You could say the same thing about the fighting game. If you told me that p4a would have the highest fw in Japan for a fighting game last gen, I'd laugh at you. And then boom, higher sales than freaking street fighter and tekken. I think P4D could be in a similar situation.

zeromcd73

So what do you guys think are the chances of Nintendo announcing a 3DS successor next year are?

With its sales dropping worldwide, slowing down in Japan, and lack of new first party title announcements at E3 except 1, are the chances of it happening high? Nintendo did say that they didn't want any more software droughts so could they be preparing early?

Since I wasn't into gaming for the DS era and the 3DS announcement, is the situation now kind of similar?

Top Bottom