• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

P4P might have opened bigger than P3P but its gonna end up with a smaller LTD due to Vita's userbase. Vita's hardcore userbase means the game's first week looks good but only due to it being frontloaded. Its an illusion to fool the uninformed what good sales actually are.

Still the numbers are great despite Vita's failure so far.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I do expect both to reach the +100k club, with Etrian Odyssey close to 150k and Runa Factory in the 110-120k range. Nice start for this series on 3DS.

The 100k club wouldn't be something so unxpected for them, especially for Etrian Odyssey

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (Atlus Co.) - 85.555 / 145.421 / 58,83% 21/02/08
[NDS] Etrian Odyssey III: The Downed City (Atlus Co.) - 94.462 / 139.576 / 67,68% 01/04/10
[NDS] Etrian Odyssey (Atlus Co.) - 31.702 / 122.461 / 25,89% 18/01/07

[NDS] Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (Marvelous Entertainment) - 39.973 / 145.346 / 27,50% 24/08/06
[NDS] Rune Factory 2 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 56.082 / 116.287 / 48,23% 03/01/08
[NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 44.894 / 85.648 / 52,42% 22/10/09

But it's possible to see a 100k debut for EOIV, IMHO.

Games sell hardware, do you realize that now Sony?

They do realize that to some extent, but their problems are that (a) they don't have the leverage over third parties that they used to, and that (b) they failed to spend the last few years building up their first-party Japanese development, meaning that Vita's fate is primarily dependent on the third parties that Sony doesn't have much leverage over.

P4P might have opened bigger than P3P but its gonna end up with a smaller LTD due to Vita's userbase. Vita's hardcore userbase means the game's first week looks good but only due to it being frontloaded. Its an illusion to fool the uninformed what good sales actually are.

It still ought to at least come within 20-30K or so of P3P's total, which is pretty impressive considering the userbase difference.

Takao

Banned
First weeks of portable Persona:

[PSP] Persona (Atlus Co.) - 79,192 / NEW
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus Co.) - 94,287 / NEW
[PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus Co.) - 62.721 / NEW
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus Co. - 24.547 / NEW
[PSV] Persona 4: The Golden (Atlus Co.) - 137,076 / NEW

By far the highest debut in portable Persona history, though it will be the most front loaded due to the userbase size of Vita.

Kyou

First weeks of portable Persona:

[PSP] Persona (Atlus Co.) - 79,192 / NEW
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus Co.) - 94,287 / NEW
[PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus Co.) - 62.721 / NEW
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus Co. - 24.547 / NEW
[PSV] Persona 4: The Golden (Atlus Co.) - 137,076 / NEW

By far the highest debut in portable Persona history, though it will be the most front loaded due to the userbase size of Vita.

Also probably doesn't hurt that the Persona 4 name is still relevant. Anime, other new games

Elios83

Games sell hardware, do you realize that now Sony?

Yeah as if they don't know that after 17 years in the market.
First year is always tough, there is the unavoidable post-launch drought and for Vita things have been more difficult because developers can't justify to make investements for a single platform with an uncertain success and now there is much more competition in the handheld/mobile space.
Yoshida admitted it quite honestly that they have been struggling to convince developers to support Vita with big projects unless they decide to work together.
Still the Persona result, which afterall is just a porting of a really old PS2 RPG, shows that the system simply needs a good flow of good games to have success, it's not like the market is not interested in the product like many people feared/hoped (depeding on the side). People are just waiting for the right combo of games/services/price.
Which is basically what happened with PS3.
Also if developers start to be satisfied with sales of their mid-tier games which they made just because they were begged by the platform holder, there is a chance that they could increase support for the future.

Cygnus X-1

Big is relative, but MGSHD is the week of the White PSV. That'll show up in two MC threads from now. Then Project Diva in August, I think.

White PSV and MGSHD will at least put Vita on these levels again - maybe something more, let's say between 40k and 50k.
But assuming that July will be an empty month, I don't see how Vita is going to keep its sales above 15-20k.

Takao

Banned
White PSV and MGSHD will at least keep Vita on these levels - maybe something more, let's say between 40k and 50k.
But assuming that July will be an empty month, I don't see how Vita is going to keep its sales above 15-20k.

There's Time Travelers*, and Resistance obviously Vita sales will soar to 100k a week!

*also on PSP, and 3DS

First year is always though, there is the unavoidable post-launch drought and for Vita things have been more difficult because developers can't justify to make investements for a single platform with an uncertain success and now there is much more competition in the handheld/mobile space.
Yoshida admitted it quite honestly that they have been struggling to convince developers to support Vita with big projects unless they decide to work together.
Still the Persona result, which afterall is just a porting of a really old PS2 RPG, shows that the system simply needs a good flow of good games to have success, it's not like the market is not interested in the product like many people feared/hoped (depeding on the side). People are just waiting for the right combo of games/services/price.
Also if developers start to be satisfied with sales of their mid-tier games which they made just because they were begged by the platform holder, there is a chance that they could increase support for the future.
Yeah people are waiting for when the Vita is good value, but thats the problem, whens that? Right now Vita owners have nothing to look forward to, besides...FFX?

White PSV and MGSHD will at least put Vita on these levels again - maybe something more, let's say between 40k and 50k.
I doubt MGSHD will bump the Vita to even 20k. 15k if they're lucky.

Edit: NVM, yep 15k it is.

Judging the performance of the game on the PS3, I doubt it'll even be a blip on the radar.

Boney

Banned
Persona 4's opening is insane, but I expected a bigger Vita bump, guess most who had already bought it already.

Wonder how this small install base is gonna affect the game coming next week.

DQ doesn't have supply issues this week or does it?

Pretty nice jump for the Vita.

What is the rest of the summer's line-up looking like?
Future 100k sellers:

08.30.12 Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (Sega)
08.xx.12 Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution (Kadokawa)
09.27.12 Little Battler eXperience W (Level-5)
09.27.12 Ys Celcita, Sea of Trees (Falcom)
Q4 2012 Soul Sacrifice (SCEI)
H1 2013 Phantasy Star Online 2 (Sega)
TBA Final Fantasy X HD (Square Enix)

pulga

Banned
Why ? Every nintendo console has a few games like that for whole their lifetime ?

O RLY?

images

test_account

XP-39C²

Frontloaded is the best thing as long as the LTD is good.

Persona 4 helping to take Vita off life support! Awesome! I know I'll be buying a Vita for it.

Glad to see P4G sell so well for its first week. Congrats, Atlus. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Massive supply issues held back Tokyo Jungle, I and many others fully expect it to be back at number 1 next week.

zroid

Banned
this was a great week for the Vita, and it's all very exciting, but the real fun begins next week.

Pokémon yeeee

Maedhros

Yeah people are waiting for when the Vita is good value, but thats the problem, whens that? Right now Vita owners have nothing to look forward to, besides...FFX?.

Why people always ask this? I mean, everyone knows this, but still ask it like someone knows the answer.

We can only wait and see if Sony will convince other developers. It's a good platform, and I doubt Sony will let it die if they can (even though sometimes I seriously think they try too hard to do that).

Takao

Banned
Future 100k sellers:

Not so sure about the bold selling 100k.

It's a Level-5 game.

At this point they should be hoping that the Vita sells the game rather than the other way around.

That post was sarcasm. Vita's boned in July before having another decent month of releases in August.

saichi

Future 100k sellers:

would be surprised if YS game sells over 100K...

Takao

Banned
Celceta might pick up hungry Vita owners who are looking for a new RPG-esque game but I'm not so certain that'll be enough to push it to 100k.

If we're honest and evaluate by revenue, at minimum, the Vita came very close to surpassing the 3DS this week.

34000 x 25000 = 850000000
61000 x 15000 = 915000000

Note this comparison favors the 3DS given the existence of the Vita 3G SKU and Nintendo's historical penchant for bundling and discounts, which is just a euphemism for an underhanded, selfishly single minded way of acquiring sales and undermining the competition. However, I won't declare this an outright victory for Sony as I want to remain strictly factual. But if you note the top 5 (where 90%+ of the software sold each week resides), four of the software titles belong to the Sony ecosystem. If you factor in licensing fees and other unmentionable soft factors, this week was a resounding victory for Sony.

This is how you do it.

Beautiful.

Not so sure about the bold selling 100k.
Yeah, I probably should've said "potential". Kiseki is the iffiest imo, since it's a farmed out port.

I don't like Little Battlers will do 100k either.
It might do more on PSP, but it might not. Remember Lord of Apocalypse.

would be surprised if YS game sells over 100K...
Given the extended dev cycle and bump in production values, I think it probably has to do over 100k to avoid bomba. Maybe Falcom should do a PS3 version to hedge their bets.

zroid

Banned
If we're honest and evaluate by revenue, at minimum, the Vita came very close to surpassing the 3DS this week.

Note this comparison favors the 3DS given the existence of the Vita 3G SKU and Nintendo's historical penchant for bundling and discounts, which is just a euphemism for an underhanded, selfishly single minded way of acquiring sales and undermining the competition. However, I won't declare this an outright victory for Sony as I want to remain strictly factual. But if you note the top 5 (where 90%+ of the software sold each week resides), four of the software titles belong to the Sony ecosystem. If you factor in licensing fees and other unmentionable soft factors, this week was a resounding victory for Sony.

Kaz needs to hire you immediately.

First year is always tough, there is the unavoidable post-launch drought and for Vita things have been more difficult because developers can't justify to make investements for a single platform with an uncertain success and now there is much more competition in the handheld/mobile space.

That's not completely true.
I mean, we have seen a lot of console that did not sell well but with big IPs were quite successful, and also gave a rise in hardware sales. GC, Dreamcast... Can you say that the market was interested in such platforms, even though during the release of Mario Kart, Resident Evil, etc. there was a boost hardware-wise?

Mr Swine

Banned
Do people really expect Pokemon to boost sales for the 3DS when it's a DS game? Nice surge for vita, too bad it will go down next week :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

lol

Celine

Do people really expect Pokemon to boost sales for the 3DS when it's a DS game? Nice surge for vita, too bad it will go down next week :/
yes

Citizen_kane_claps.gif

Damn, P4 did way better than anyone thought it would. People were calling sub-100k last week (Mid- 20,000's for hardware too, that's a crazy bump too). I can hardly imagine what a unique Persona or Shin Megami game would've done for sales.

Given the extended dev cycle and bump in production values, I think it probably has to do over 100k to avoid bomba. Maybe Falcom should do a PS3 version to hedge their bets.

If the game is actually budgeted high enough that it would need to sell 50 percent more than the most successful PSP release (Ys Seven) and over 2.5 times as much as the most directly comparable one (Oath in Felghana) just to turn a profit, that seems like a questionable decision regardless of platform.

Top Bottom