• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

Road

A lot of people buy lotteries. Every single one of them is optimistic that they will win it. :)

I'm talking about this specific Vita situation.

It's so bad that, while other systems had the "wait for" chalkboard with a bunch of games that could save them, with the Vita it is "wait for E3" and "wait for TGS".

Grasshopper Manufacture titles:

[PS1] The Silver Case - 7,941 / 7,941
[PS2] Flower, Sun, and Rain - 5,841 / 5,841
[PS2] Michigan: Report from Hell - 15,150 / 31,667
[PS2] Killer 7 - 13,715 / 28,586 (GCN - 4,512 / 4,512)
[NDS] Contact - 8,102 / 25,413
[Wii] No More Heroes - ? / 20,320
[PS3] No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise - 15,763 / 26,339 (360 - 15,153 / 20,073)
[Wii] No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - 11,373 / 15,403
[PS3] No More Heroes Red Zone Edition - 40,313 / 64,318
[PS3] Shadows of the Damned - 9,145 / 18,420
[PS3] Lollipop Chainsaw - 53,347 / NEW (360 - 14,422 / NEW)

Dragon Quest Monsters (third week sales)

[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - 55,180 / 916,000 (supply constrained)
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 126,096 / 1,002,601
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D - 66,434 / 662,946
For Grasshopper games you're missing Shining Soul, Shining Soul II, Fatal Frame 4 and Guild 01.

test_account

XP-39C²
A lot of people buy lotteries. Every single one of them is optimistic that they will win it. :)
Being optimistic isnt about that you think everything will be great and that a positive outcome is the only thing that can happen.

Optimistic is about thinking that the best thing can happen, but this doesnt mean that every other outcome is completely ignored and say "that will never happen".

So yeah, buying a lottery means that you have a chance to win (no matter how small it is). Then you have a choice to be optimistic or sceptic about it :)

What i said regarding Vita doesnt mean that i ignore that a negative outcome is possible, but a positive outcome is also possible. That is why i said the choice is to be optimistic or sceptic about the outcome.

Why would you think that
Why people prefer it on TV or the game being identical?

I know sceptic is probably the right way to write the word in some countries but man reading it over and over is making my eyes bleed.

heringer

If we're honest and evaluate by revenue, at minimum, the Vita came very close to surpassing the 3DS this week.

34000 x 25000 = 850000000
61000 x 15000 = 915000000

Note this comparison favors the 3DS given the existence of the Vita 3G SKU and Nintendo's historical penchant for bundling and discounts, which is just a euphemism for an underhanded, selfishly single minded way of acquiring sales and undermining the competition. However, I won't declare this an outright victory for Sony as I want to remain strictly factual. But if you note the top 5 (where 90%+ of the software sold each week resides), four of the software titles belong to the Sony ecosystem. If you factor in licensing fees and other unmentionable soft factors, this week was a resounding victory for Sony.

Well done sir.

Boney

Banned
Because it's a spinoff of a console franchise that is also getting a release on the same console where all the other entries reside.
you're answering why people who like the series/genre are already on the PS3, not that they prefer playing games in front of a tv

donny2112

It probably has to be beating the GameCube and Dreamcast.

Speaking of, it should be well above that Dreamcast line now.

mission_accomplished_baby.jpg

saichi

It depends on what scope people are talking about. If it is about gaining sales to PSP level or the Vita being a system that will be supported for years. I'm thinking of the latter, but from what i gather, many people seems to think about the former (and therefor only discuss around this how unlikely it is).

Dreamcast was on the market for 2 and half year and Gamecube was on the market for 6. Hence, I'm not sure why it is not appropriate to compare VITA to Dreamcast or Gamecube not only sale number wise but also the shelf life wise.

Even PSP Go lasted 1 and half years. I'm sure VITA would last longer than that.

Truth101

Banned
They will likely show off the PS3 version in trailers, and TV ads so that (ever so slightly) nicer visuals can be shown off.

Sure they might, the PS3 version will be a higher resolution and the IQ might be a bit better, but when it comes to retail advertisement the 3DS version will probably be pushed more.

There is a reason this is PS3/3DS and not just PS3

test_account

XP-39C²
tv obviously
What Takao said, that the previous entries have have been on consoles. It is like the Vita/PS3 games too. I expect that pretty much all of those will sell best on PS3.

I think that many people will buy the 3DS version. For many, portability is the best thing. It will be the same thing with the PS3/Vita games too. I only questioned this particular game doing 100k+ when a PS3 version excist too.

I know sceptic is probably the right way to write the word in some countries but man reading it over and over is making my eyes bleed.
Hehe, yeah, it is kinda difficult to read that word, i agree.

Boney

Banned
not quite the same scenario, but VC series could be a good ilustrator about EX Troopers

Valkyria Chronicles 141,589
Valkyria Chronicles (PlayStation 3 The Best) 95,667
Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy 153,487
Valkyria Chronicles II (Sega the Best) 4,455
Valkyria Chronicles 3 Sega 152,659
Valkyria Chronicles 3: Extra Edition Sega 8,273

Where great word of mouth probably kept the PS3 version moving and perhaps this quality wasn't there for the PSP entries

What Takao said, that the previous entries have have been on consoles. It is like the Vita/PS3 games too. I expect that pretty much all of those will sell best on PS3.

I'm not saying it'll do better than PS3, just that one of your reasons for supporting PS3 is "people like to play that kind of games on TV", where that's always just been a corollary of amassing the userbase on a certain platform.

Kinda like how Peace Walker did just in line with previous entries.

If we're honest and evaluate by revenue, at minimum, the Vita came very close to surpassing the 3DS this week.

Note this comparison favors the 3DS given the existence of the Vita 3G SKU and Nintendo's historical penchant for bundling and discounts, which is just a euphemism for an underhanded, selfishly single minded way of acquiring sales and undermining the competition. However, I won't declare this an outright victory for Sony as I want to remain strictly factual. But if you note the top 5 (where 90%+ of the software sold each week resides), four of the software titles belong to the Sony ecosystem. If you factor in licensing fees and other unmentionable soft factors, this week was a resounding victory for Sony.

Simply amazing, every time I read this it gets better.

I'm not sure how viable the Vita will be, but this is a positive sign

test_account

XP-39C²
Dreamcast was on the market for 2 and half year and Gamecube was on the market for 6. Hence, I'm not sure why it is not appropriate to compare VITA to Dreamcast or Gamecube not only sale number wise but also the shelf life wise.

Even PSP Go lasted 1 and half years. I'm sure VITA would last longer than that.
I didnt say that people couldnt compare these things. I think that it is fair comparison just to point that out.

I just said that there are two possible outcomes of the Vita situation. Right now the outcome doesnt look good, i agree to that, but that isnt the only outcome possible. That is why i brought up PSP and PS3 as examples of platforms that have seen changes in sales as time goes by. I didnt mean to do a comparison on sales directly, only that these two platforms got the sales patterns changed.

This doesnt mean that the same thing will happen to the Vita, but is there a chance that the Vita's sales pattern can change for the better? I think so. That is why i'm choosing to be optimistic about it. Maybe i change my view on it at time goes by, but we'll see :)

not quite the same scenario, but VC series could be a good ilustrator about EX Troopers

Where great word of mouth probably kept the PS3 version moving and perhaps this quality wasn't there for the PSP entries
Yeah, if EX Troopers were exclusive to 3DS, then i probably wouldnt have asked. It is just the situation being multiplatform that made me ask the question. As you say, it is not the same senario with VC because none of these games are multiplatform.

jman2050

hans would be proud

Takao

Banned
Sure they might, the PS3 version will be a higher resolution and the IQ might be a bit better, but when it comes to retail advertisement the 3DS version will probably be pushed more.

There is a reason this is PS3/3DS and not just PS3

We don't know the price do we? If the PS3 version is more money than the 3DS version, I can see retailers trying to make the most which would be out of the PS3 version.

you're answering why people who like the series/genre are already on the PS3, not that they prefer playing games in front of a tv

Fair enough, I don't really have a response to that.

Not really comparable at all. VC's transition to PSP was PSP only with mainline iterations. If you wanted to play the next VC you had to have owned a PSP. In this case it's a Lost Planet spinoff that is also going to be on the same platform where every other game in the series was released.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Best part is this works for other regions too. 3DS might have sold about double the units the Vita did in the US in last month but the average sell price of a Vita is more than $100 higher than a 3DS and that's not counting a memory card!

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not saying it'll do better than PS3, just that one of your reasons for supporting PS3 is "people like to play that kind of games on TV", where that's always just been a corollary of amassing the userbase on a certain platform.

Kinda like how Peace Walker did just in line with previous entries.
I understand what you mean. I didnt mean it like this. There are several of game genres that does well both on portable systems and on consoles. But when the exact same game excist for both the portable system and on console, particularly a shooter like EX Trooper, i think that the majority will buy the console version. Especially when both versions are released at the same day (i think?).

Last released Dreamcast game there are sales for in my database.

DC Karous (MileStone Inc.) (3/8/2007)
The DC had some good software support even after the hardware death, that is true. Same with Neo Geo AES :) Just a pity that getting the hardware at later times ment that you most likely had to buy it used.

Boney

Banned
Yeah, if EX Troopers were exclusive to 3DS, then i probably wouldnt have asked. It is just the situation being multiplatform that made me ask the question. As you say, it is not the same senario with VC because none of these games are multiplatform.

Not really comparable at all. VC's transition to PSP was PSP only with mainline iterations. If you wanted to play the next VC you had to have owned a PSP. In this case it's a Lost Planet spinoff that is also going to be on the same platform where every other game in the series was released.

My point is that if the game's quality suffers in the 3DS version, it'll turn of costumers, naturally. Which I think will play a bigger role than brand association with Lost Planet.

I understand what you mean. I didnt mean it like this. There are several of game genres that does well both on portable systems and on consoles. But when the exact same game excist for both the portable system and on console, particularly a shooter like EX Trooper, i think that the majority will buy the console version. Especially when both versions are released at the same day (i think?)..

I think it'll sell better on PS3 as well, just that tv has nothing to do with it.

Truth101

Banned
My point is that if the game's quality suffers in the 3DS version, it'll turn of costumers, naturally. Which I think will play a bigger role than brand association with Lost Planet.

I think it'll sell better on PS3 as well, just that tv has nothing to do with it.

The 3DS is the lead platform so quality concerns shouldn't be a problem.

I think that most people will prefer this game on a TV if it is identical between the PS3 and 3DS. I'm sure that someone will prefer the portable aspect too, but i dont know about 100k+. But only time will tell.
LP2 did 225k, and EXT looks even more targeted to Japan and launches to a significantly larger and more diverse userbase. Even if the PS3 version outsells the 3DS one, that doesn't preclude the 3DS rev passing 100k. Hell, even on 360 LP2 did 50k, you don't think there's even a possibility a more region targeted game on 3DS can double that?

Kazerei

Banned
It probably has to be beating the GameCube and Dreamcast.

Let's not get carried away here.

GameCube had a pretty good start actually. It was dead after the second year though.

Vita still has a chance to overtake PS3's running total. It just needs a strong holiday release schedule. Hopefully Sony reveals something good at that Vita Heaven event.

Since we don't have Famitsu numbers yet showing the Gundam/Persona bmp, I threw Media-Create PSV numbers on top of the chart. Everything else is Famitsu.

DKHustlin

Good number for nintendo and the trinity and fe. Kid icarus feel of for now but Wii party is there so yay next week should be awesome for nintendo

Takao

Banned
Anyone remember what the figure was when Atlus leaked Persona 3 Portable's first week PSN sales? I was to say it was either 10k, or 30k but google is failing me.

test_account

XP-39C²
I probably worded myself poorly earlier on that, sorry. "Being on TV", i was then thinking about better graphics and bigger screen (comfy couch and all that stuff too).

LP2 did 225k, and EXT looks even more targeted to Japan and launches to a significantly larger and more diverse userbase. Even if the PS3 version outsells the 3DS one, that doesn't preclude the 3DS rev passing 100k. Hell, even on 360 LP2 did 50k, you don't think there's even a possibility a more region targeted game on 3DS can double that?
The difference with LP2 on Xbox 360 is that the Xbox 360 is also a console. That is the only thing that makes me think that EX Trooper will sell more on PS3.

But about possibility for the 3DS version selling 100k+, i think that there could be a possibility yeah. Depends on how well the game is recieved. Someone always prefer the portable aspect instead, and the price difference between the two versions might be as much as 2000 yen (maybe), so i dont think it is impossible.

Anyone remember what the figure was when Atlus leaked Persona 3 Portable's first week PSN sales? I was to say it was either 10k, or 30k but google is failing me.
It was 10k:

http://www.examiner.com/article/persona-3-portable-psn-sales-data-revealed

The 30k is for Gravity Daze i think.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tokyo Jungle is roaring back to the top next week, I can feel it.

Synergy with other animal based games might help them out on the charts too.

Great P4 numbers and OK Vita ones. Something to consider is the amount of people who picked up used units. I definitely saw a lot of used Vitas disappear from store shelves this week. Those would go under the radar of course.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe they're not so great examples, but Monster Hunter and Ni no Kuni sold way better on handheld than on home console.
We don't know much about EX Troopers but to me it looks like a game tailored on the handheld experience in the vein of Monster hunter.
Sorry, missed this quote earlier. From what i've seen of it, it looks more like a Lost Planet type of game. But i guess we will learn more about the game's multiplayer later on, and how deep it is.

Are we really questioning which version of EX Troopers will sell the most copies?

The 3DS version is just another 25k random game. It's a non-factor.

Erethian

I like to think of them as realistic and delusional.

Give me a call when the Vita has announced for it Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid 5, Yakuza 6, Dynasty Warriors 8, Monster Hunter 4 and Kingdom Hearts 3.

This is, and will always be, the problem with a Vita to PS3 comparison (not to mention that even doing PS3 numbers would be a massive drop for Vita over PSP). PS3 had a host of big name franchises to fall back on while the Vita has nothing, with no indication it's coming.

Or any game that can maintain a sustained increase in average weekly sales.

The difference with LP2 on Xbox 360 is that the Xbox 360 is also a console. That is the only thing that makes me think that EX Trooper will sell more on PS3.

But about possibility for the 3DS version selling 100k+, i think that there could be a possibility yeah. Depends on how well the game is recieved. Someone always prefer the portable aspect instead, and the price difference between the two versions might be as much as 2000 yen (maybe), so i dont think it is impossible.
Yes, 360 is also a console, meaning there was even less distinction between it and PS3... and it still sold 50k of LP2.

As an aside, how was Basara 3 priced across Wii and PS3? That might be a good indicator for EXT pricing?

Takao

Banned
Yes, 360 is also a console, meaning there was even less distinction between it and PS3... and it still sold 50k of LP2.

As an aside, how was Basara 3 priced across Wii and PS3? That might be a good indicator for EXT pricing?

PS3 version was 1000 yen more.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is, and will always be, the problem with a Vita to PS3 comparison (not to mention that even doing PS3 numbers would be a massive drop for Vita over PSP). PS3 had a host of big name franchises to fall back on while the Vita has nothing, with no indication it's coming.

Or any game that can maintain a sustained increase in average weekly sales.
The PS3 to Vita comparison (at least for me) is about having the sales pattern changed in a positive way, not about doing directly comparison in sales numbers. The keyword here is "can", meaning that i'm not ruling out any possible outcome.

I also mentioned the PS3 because of comments people made back in 2007/2008. Even if we knew about FF13 and stuff like that, it didnt stop people to compare it directly to Gamecube and mentioning many times how poorly the PS3 was selling. People also pointed out how much more series sold on the PS2 compared to on PS3. If someone said that things could changes, there were a chance that someone would give a "no way" kinda answer. Why did people do these comparisons and talk about how poorly the PS3 did if there was a big chance of it's sales pattern to change in a positive way? From what i can remember, people didnt think that it would change much in a positive way.

I'm thinking more about the nature of the game and where more people prefer to play it. People who bought it on Xbox 360 most likely didnt have a PS3 as a console, or prefered to play it on Xbox 360.

orioto

Good Art™
I would say:

Bad news : Vita bump is ridiculous and shows there won't be anything to boost sales to acceptable proportion till a loong time.

Good news : A game can sell pretty good on Vita, as much as it would on a way more popular platform. That means devs can make that choice.

Spiegel

I can't understand how people can be disappointed with the hardware bump. A 21k increase in units (probably a few k more considering it came from a previous Gundam bump) thanks to a game selling "only" 130k and announced well before the release of Vita, with no hardware bundle, is a pretty good bump.

You can (and should) be disappointed by the overall sales, but the bump is great.

beril

I'm thinking more about the nature of the game and where more people prefer to play it. People who bought it on Xbox 360 most likely didnt have a PS3 as a console, or prefered to play it on Xbox 360.

Other than maybe Resident Evil, is there really any type of game where there's significant proof that japanese people prefer to play it on a console?
Not that I'm saying the 3DS version will sell gangbusters. I hadn't heard of the game before this thread and don't really know what to think of it from the trailer. Depending on how close the different versions are I could see both bombing equally or do moderately well. There's not that much to compare it to on 3DS though

I don't think most are dissapointed in Vita sales this week itself, but rather overall. That's why they're bringing in cautionary comparisons like REmake or Blue Dragon, which are almost identical number wise.

Top Bottom