• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

Oh yeah, because one child with a Pikachu hat and a white 3DS represent a massive boost for the platform. Oh yeah. Try harder Sammy, the next time.

:p I hope Chris will report later in the day about this matter
wppMr.jpg

Three kids now.

Awww :)

He even put Pokéball stickers on his white 3DS that snazzy bastard!
He's so cute. *-*

I love pictures of little kids having fun with videogames. I saw a kid going wild with his 3ds today and it made me smile. It reminded me of myself when I was young and it reminded me that while so many people on gaf argue about video games there are still kids who just enjoy them without all the pretense.

When can we expect some numbers for B&W 2? We won't have to wait till the MC thread will we?

All I see now are kids cursing online and spending time on m rated FPS thinking that they are grown ups, enjoy your childhood darn it because it ain't coming back there is plenty of time to act as grown ups when you are actually one.

kswiston

Lately? No.

Do we have any idea how well FFXIII-2 sold in Europe? All I can see is that FFXIII-2 debuted somewhere above 330k in the US. Considering LTD sales in Japan are around 800k, I don't see how NA+EU sales could be THAT far under Japanese sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do we have any idea how well FFXIII-2 sold in Europe? All I can see is that FFXIII-2 debuted somewhere above 330k in the US. Considering LTD sales in Japan are around 800k, I don't see how NA+EU sales could be THAT far under Japanese sales.

To my understanding FFXIII-2 has moved about 100K since that debut in NPD.

In Europe, the franchise was never really strong, and given the numbers we usually use every month for the UK, it was 80K in the UK its first month versus being 235K in the UK for FFXIII.

If we applied a like for like drop with total European sales (since we don't have many good options for the rest of Europe), that gives us 97K/235K * 1,116,361 = 460,796.

So, given the margin of error here, it probably moved around 1 million total in the West, but we are pretty close to counting pennies to assert that at this point whereas before we were moving about 1.7-2x what Japan was in the West.

That said, I don't imagine the average Square developer is that cheap after this many years, so if it gets to the point where they can only make 100-350K selling 3DS games (since those haven't been trending in a great sales direction lately), I'm not sure it's worth the opportunity costs of just reappropriating their salaries into their Enix and Eidos businesses at this rate.

Edit:

Before I stir too much controversy, I should probably note I'm referring to productions where everyone is a Square Enix employee as opposed to like 5-10 guys overseeing an outsourcing firm a la Bravely Default, Theatrhythm, and other such games, since I imagine the cost there is quite low. Something like Parasite Eve though is a gigantic cash sink.

Road

To my understanding FFXIII-2 has moved about 100K since that debut in NPD.

In Europe, the franchise was never really strong, and given the numbers we usually use every month for the UK, it was 80K in the UK its first month versus being 235K in the UK for FFXIII.

If we applied a like for like drop with total European sales (since we don't have many good options for the rest of Europe), that gives us 97K/235K * 1,116,361 = 460,796.

So, given the margin of error here, it probably moved around 1 million total in the West, but we are pretty close to counting pennies to assert that at this point whereas before we were moving about 1.7-2x what Japan was in the West.

XIII selling twice as much in the West was more of an outlier (high anticipation + multiplatform are probably the reason).

Entry: Overseas / Japan (Overseas / Japan)

VII: 1.5 (6m / 4m)
VIII: 1.4 (4.9m / 3.6m)
IX: 0.9 (2.6m / 2.8m)
X: 1.6 (5m / 3.2m)
X-2: 1.2 (2.8m / 2.4m)
XII: 1.1 (2.8m / 2.6m)

XIII: 2.1 (4.2m / 2m)

Even among spin-offs, only one has such high ratio:

Tactics: 0.8 (1.1m / 1.4m)
Tactics Advance: 2.4 (1.2m / 0.5m)
Crisis Core: 1.6 (1.4m / 0.9m)
Dissidia: 0.8 (0.8m / 1m)

XIII-2 was still multi, but I'm not so sure about the high anticipation part...

We'll only really know how tarnished FF is in the West with FFXV. So, I guess we'll return to this topic in 5 years. =P

I think I got those errors that were popping up on Garaph and causing some images with lines that went nowhere cleared up. It seems to have been just one little change in acceptable PHP behavior fixable by two characters* that needed to be applied about a dozen times in various places.

Also as per Road's request, the database table description page has been updated. It seems like it hadn't been touched since being created on June 23, 2008.
Thanks!

I don't know if you updated everything already, but there's still a warning (nitpicking now) when showing a table in linecompare when the hardware doesn't have a weekly value (example here). Maybe it was always there and I only noticed it now.

I don't know if you updated everything already, but there's still a warning (nitpicking now) when showing a table in linecompare when the hardware doesn't have a weekly value (example here). Maybe it was always there and I only noticed it now.
Don't worry about being nitpicky. Probably another new thing; looks like something that would've been noticed before otherwise. Looks like another pretty easy fix. For graph purposes blanks in data that should make the line stop being drawn are represented as "x". Now the function that puts numbers in presentable form (commas and whatnot) is no longer saying "That's not a number, so I'll show 0." but instead "That's not a number, what do you think you're trying to pull?"

Dalthien

For what it's worth, FFIII seems to be the most downloaded FF on VC, as of June 21st:

Interesting stats. Thanks!

But that really just backs up my point that whether it was ported or not didn't really matter much in the long run. From the stats you gave, FFIII was still the best-selling title on VC (by a long shot), even after it had just received a substantial remake very recently. The game sold well because people like the game - not because it hadn't been re-released before. As I posited before, if the game had received a GameBoy Color or WonderSwan port in 1999 - do you really think that would have affected the DS sales all that much in 2006?

The stock situation isn't any different than with any multiplatform release.

In this case, it really is different though. With a typical multiplatform strategy, the goal is to sell games to people on a 2nd system who don't own the primary system that you are developing for. You are trying to expand your audience.

In the case of putting PSP games on Vita cards, who is the expanded audience? Honestly, does anyone believe that there are any (in significantly worthwhile numbers) Vita owners in Japan who don't also own a PSP? For all intents and purposes, it seems like the exact same audience. So from the perspective of the 3rd-party publisher, what is being accomplished by a multiplatform release when you reach the exact same audience by just going with a single platform PSP release?

Now where I agree with you is in your suggested Plan B where Sony steps in to make it worthwhile for 3rd-parties. If Sony subsidizes the dual platform strategy for the 3rd-parties, then it's a no-brainer for the 3rd-party. But Sony clearly wasn't interested in adding even more costs to the launch of the Vita platform - so nothing came of the idea.

Looking back, I'm starting to think that it might have actually made sense for Sony to launch with a Vita with a UMD drive built in. It would have been bulkier and less elegant and more expensive, but honestly - could sales really be much worse than they've been up to this point anyway. Up to this point, the only people buying Vita are the die-hards that would have jumped in at pretty much any price and any design (similar to those who jumped on the DS Phat).

That way they have full compatibility for people buying PSP discs, which makes sense given the release schedule (vs. PSP) during the first 12-18 months of Vita's life. Then after 12-18 months, they come out with the Vita Lite (current model of Vita). It's basically an instant relaunch of the system. The new Vita looks remarkably slick and elegant, comes in at a cheaper price (and Sony can now afford to include memory with each system), and hopefully you have a slate of high-quality titles ready to release by now to accompany the relaunch. Who knows, maybe you hit a home run sort of similar to what happened with the DS Lite with Brain Age and NSMB in the vicinity of the relaunch.

Crazy idea, I know. :) But looking back in hindsight now, I think that plan might have worked out better than the route that they took.

....it's Dr. Kawashima..never played Brain Age/Training?
No :D

don't know what they are about honestly :D thought it's only for [very] old or young people who have problem with simple mathematics operations

It's how Kawano and friends at SCEJ view Iwata to look like.
loool, TAKAO, you! :D

I'm sticking with my original comparison. Something roughly in-line with HeartGold/SoulSilver.
I think that would be better than 50% of B&W? Does someone have the sales handy for different pokemon games?

test_account

XP-39C²
That Brain Training cover reminds me of those "unknown" games that end up selling like 5k - 10k. Really looking forward to see if there is a marked for brain training games at full price.

test_account

XP-39C²
3,890,000+ units sold.

5,060,000+ units sold.

;)
Thanks for the pictures, i wasnt sure how the previous ones looked :) Those reminds me of Sega Master System covers hehe. But it make sense that they go with the similar artstyle for Oni Training when the two other Brain Training games had similar covers. I think the western covers look better. I know they sold great, that is why i'm curious to see if the market is still there, ~5 years later.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And it's not at full price. It's priced 3800 Yen. I hoped they would have priced it 2800 Yen like the two BT games for DS, but 3800 is still lower than average Nintendo titles ( 4800 Yen).

test_account

XP-39C²
And it's not at full price. It's priced 3800 Yen. I hoped they would have priced it 2800 Yen like the two BT games for DS, but 3800 is still lower than average Nintendo titles ( 4800 Yen).
True, not full price compared to other 1st party 3DS games, but 3800 is pretty much full price compared to the similar phone games :)

Mpl90

True, not full price compared to other 1st party 3DS games, but 3800 is pretty much full price compared to the similar phone games :)

I've yet to see a phone game where there's the mothafucking DEVIL KAWASHIMA laughing at you if you don't do exercises well. :D

My major is engineering and naturally work with complex mathematics daily, will I still find it useful? (honest question)

Basically it's a way of keeping your brain active.

You do a series of short tests, which takes no more than say, 5 minutes. Once you're done, the game calculates your 'brain age' in years. So for instance, if you are 30 years old, and are given a brain age of let's say, 40 something, then you know something isn't right!

The idea is that you do these tests (which vary) once each day and compare how your brain age changes over time.

Btw, I love how Nintendo is managing its line-up in Japan but I'm a bit worried; too many sequel to successful IPs on DS and few new products. I mean, it will be impossible to replicate the sales of games like Tomodachi Collection, Brain Training and Stile Savvy. Nintendo must find a new sensation that will act as a sleeper hit and then reach the million mark if not more.

Mpl90

They're nearly there on pre-orders alone.

I reckon the HGSS comparison will be a sound one.

Actually, it's more.
BW preorders: 1.88 V.S. BW2 preorders: 1.16 - BW2 preorders more than 60% BW ones.
And so...yeah, probably something like HGSS.

P.S. I've seen that 13th September will be a pretty good week for 3DS.

Medarot 7, Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd...and New Art Academy.
This is what the first Art Academy did on DS.

[NDS] Egoko Classroom DS (Nintendo) 22.053 / 322.644 / 6,84% 19/06/10

Takao

Banned
I detect a hint of bitterness. Why shouldn't it sell well?

Because there are games I don't really see the need for sequels, and this is one of them. While it tries to be cheeky with the change of Kawashima I just really don't see the need for this game to exist as a retail product other than the obvious fact it's going to make a lot of money.

Well, the follow-up of a +4 million units franchise will sell well, even though the mania is not still there.

Because there are games I don't really see the need for sequels, and this is one of them. While it tries to be cheeky with the change of Kawashima I just really don't see the need for this game to exist as a retail product other than the obvious fact it's going to make a lot of money.

Wait... Do we know anything about its contents?
I mean, it's too early to say "this should be only digital".

Because there are games I don't really see the need for sequels, and this is one of them. While it tries to be cheeky with the change of Kawashima I just really don't see the need for this game to exist as a retail product other than money.

Seems like a decent reason for a game to exist, for me. There's a reasonable niche in the 3DS market that this game is going to fill if, as you say, it's destined to make money.

Takao

Banned
Wait... Do we know anything about its contents?
I mean, it's too early to say "this should be only digital".

I'm assuming it'll either be just a new Brain Training game with Satan Kawashima or a completely goofy spinoff where he's training you to become a demon. If it's the latter I wouldn't expect it to sell very well.

I just don't see the benefits from this game being on 3DS as a retail release. Improved visuals? This series is not visually intensive. Analog stick? The first two games were part of the "Touch Generations" branding for a reason. Online? I guess competition could be fun, but meh. 3D puzzles? Alright, I suppose.

It should be an eShop release with regular DLC.

Dalthien

Btw, I love how Nintendo is managing its line-up in Japan but I'm a bit worried; too many sequel to successful IPs on DS and few new products. I mean, it will be impossible to replicate the sales of games like Tomodachi Collection, Brain Training and Stile Savvy. Nintendo must find a new sensation that will act as a sleeper hit and then reach the million mark if not more.

Say hello to Monster Hunter. Honestly, that is the major new IP for the platform for the first couple years that will bring in millions of new customers to a genre that didn't really exist (to a significant degree) on the DS. MH3G and MH4 fill that void that stuff like Brain Age did early on with the DS. Bring in a substantial new audience base to the platform.

We'll have to wait and see what Nintendo might have in store for new ideas in the mid-life of 3DS, but for the early years their strategy was clearly to try to retain their DS audience and bring in new customers from the PSP audience.

test_account

XP-39C²
No no, I know, and in fact then I said that BW2 is 60% BW. However, I'll clarify the post :D
Oh, like that, i see. I thought the "more" was referring to BW2 over BW1 =)

EDIT: And i see it more clearly now when i read the post by Exterminieren: you replied to.

test_account

XP-39C²
B/W had 1.88M final preorders and B/W 2 1.16M one week before release meaning something like 1.3-1.4M final preorders. Comgnet fails again.
It says Media Create in the article though. Comgnet is just one store chain if i'm not mistaken, so i dont think these numbers are based entirely on Comgnet's numbers.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
No official info from the US and EU sales?

The banned sales site has some numbers and I find em Kinda hard to believe but they are nice numbers for Lollipop Chainsaw since I didnt expected it to chart well in US or EU.

Anyhow hopefully we get the official data soon.

Top Bottom