• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

They will be with the RSE remakes. They'll probably be testing their 3DS engine with them, and we'll see the first Gen VI games later on.

Next year the 3DS is going to get it's for true Pokemon title, either gen 6 or RSE remakes. For awhile I thought it was going to be RSE remakes to give Gamefreak more time for gen 6. Though based upon how fast the anime is moving and the fact they're including multiple legendary pokemon in one film as opposed to spreading them out as per usual I get the feeling they're rushing to get to gen 6.

I'll back Pokemon. It has the ability to sell twice to a single purchaser.

While not many people will do that, it'll boost the figures by some.
NSMB2 is more of a proper new sequel than White2/Black2 and its the bigger seller of the two franchises in raw numbers. Its also a 3DS game, subconsciously new 3DS owners will want to buy a 3DS game rather than a DS one (won't happen alot, but it'll make a difference I'm guessing). I don't think there's as many people buying both versions of the game as you think.

Only thing against NSMB2 is that it has competition from NSMB U and it doesn't have the huge DS userbase to sell to, but on the flip side the 3DS userbase is more active and the last NSMB game was 2.5 years ago, as opposed to Pokemon's 1.5.

I'm betting on NSMB2.

Next year the 3DS is going to get it's for true Pokemon title, either gen 6 or RSE remakes. For awhile I thought it was going to be RSE remakes to give Gamefreak more time for gen 6. Though based upon how fast the anime is moving and the fact they're including multiple legendary pokemon in one film as opposed to spreading them out as per usual I get the feeling they're rushing to get to gen 6.

Indeed, the first Pokémon DS got was Diamond / Pearl, two years after the launch.

Total numbers BW2 > NSMB2, by individual units sold though NSMB2 > either version of B2W2
NSMB DS is at 6.2M and Black/White is at 5.5M.

NSMB Wii is still on the charts and it doesn't have the benefit of consoles being moved every week like the Pokemon Black/White does. Pokemon will open bigger than NSMB2, but NSMB2 should easily out leg it.

Shit in 2011, 5 years after the release of NSMB DS, the game sold over 200k. NSMB Wii achieved the same in 2011, even with Wii sales being basically dead. No Pokemon titles have such staying power. (ok except Pokemon B/R/G/Y, but that was first gen and an outlier)

Mr Swine

Banned
The pokedex models have more polygons than what all the 3D Pokemon games before have right? Won't they need to cut it to half if they want to have trees, water and stuff in the Pokemon battles?

The original context for the discussion has got a little lost - it was strictly in terms of sales in Japan for this year. I agree with you from a long-term standpoint.
Oh for this year, yeah Pokemon will probably win. The 3DS doesn't have a big enough of a userbase for NSMB2 to make up for the DS userbase advantage and that huge as first week sales of Pokemon. Still both games are launching pretty close, it'll be an interesting race.

mclem

The pokedex models have more polygons than what all the 3D Pokemon games before have right? Won't they need to cut it to half if they want to have trees, water and stuff in the Pokemon battles?

I would assume that they've already built the models with the express intent of being able to render four of them (plus scenery? Possibly.) on a given scene. Creating more detail than that just for the Pokedex strikes me as unwise, unless they've got some nice LOD work going on.

I would assume that they've already built the models with the express intent of being able to render four of them (plus scenery? Possibly.) on a given scene. Creating more detail than that just for the Pokedex strikes me as unwise, unless they've got some nice LOD work going on.

They're also working on the Pokémon of all other generations, for Pokédex 3D Pro. Imo, such models will be used in some way. If they stick in separate battle environment, they should be able to manage those models without problems.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think they would already have announced it if it was also a 3DS title - its clearly PSP/Vita or Vita-exclusive.
3DS has Monster Hunter and all, but the Vita is still the superior device for these kind of games.

Also Bamco is still one of the strongest supporters of the PSP, i doubt they would release it on 3DS instead of PSP.

Takao

Banned
The only way I can see it being Vita exclusive is if Sony paid for it, but given SCE has Soul Sacrifice on the way I can't see that happening.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The only way I can see it being Vita exclusive is if Sony paid for it, but given SCE has Soul Sacrifice on the way I can't see that happening.

Vita has been selling like crap for the last couple months, i doubt that Sony is in the position to rest their success on a single new first Party IP - they need more and they should be able to secure these kind of deals. Just because they couldnt secure Monster Hunter against doesnt mean that they wont keep trying for other franchises.

Could be a PSP/Vita or even a Vita/Ps3 title - though i expect a Vita only title.

It will likely be a PSP/Vita title but Vita exclusivity does not sound the most reasonable move; I mean, God Eater success was really dependent on Monster Hunter fanbase, and I'm not so sure it could succeed in the same way without that (on Vita, I mean). Moreover, on 3DS it will be practically identical than the PSP version, and it could enjoy a larger base. The first God Eater sold slightly worser than how Vita sold so far.

Bruno MB

I can't see God Eater being a relevant franchise on 3DS, they'd better stick to PSP/PS Vita combo while they can.

wsippel

Banned
God Eater 2 News Coming Soon

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/25/god-eater-2-news-coming-soon/

Timing would suggest that this might be a Vita/PSP release and presented at the Vita Game Heaven thing.

So it most likely is a 3DS exclusive now.
Wouldn't expect it to be exclusive, but either PSP/3DS or Vita/3DS sounds about right. The fact that God Eater had cameos in two Nintendo exclusive titles since God Eater 2 vanished might hint at something like that.

I can see why neither a PSP nor a Vita or 3DS version make a whole lot of sense for God Eater right now. Should be a Mobage or iOS game by now. Maybe GREE.

@B/W2 Sales
Not bad I guess ;-)
But I expected a + 2 million opening. Though this release should be pure profit for them.

Absolutely nothing, in the history of Pokémon, Sales-age or video games hinted that this would be the case at all.

In comparison to what the likes of Platinum and Emerald have pulled, this is an outstanding result. Second largest opening weekend for the franchise is incredible for sequels.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good guess but no. Clearly these are all people who went out to buy Tokyo Jungle and decided to get another "animal based game" to go along with it, but because some people couldn't buy both more of them clearly picked up TJ.
What is this joke based on? I might have missed something, but i havnt seen anyone who claimed such a thing, and Tokyo Jungle already sold great.

Alrus

Good opening for B/W 2, should be able to reach 4 mil.

Speaking of which, not a sales-related question, but was God Eater any good?

I always thought it looked appealing. Did it even come out in the West?

It came out in europe at least. It's not a very good game.

What is this joke based on? I might have missed something, but i havnt seen anyone who claimed such a thing, and Tokyo Jungle already sold great.

I think it is based on an old PSP-DS sales spin, were it was said that people went to the stores looking for a DS but because they were sold out they bought a PSP instead.

BadWolf

It was excellent, I preferred it to MH in quite a few ways. Awesome freaking soundtrack too.

It came out in the west as God Eater Burst (the expanded version of the original).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
God Eater 2 News Coming Soon

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/25/god-eater-2-news-coming-soon/

Timing would suggest that this might be a Vita/PSP release and presented at the Vita Game Heaven thing.

So it most likely is a 3DS exclusive now.

So many months of silence could mean a Ys-Celceta-like graphic improvement, so Vita exclusive. Or that they changed things to adapt it to a platform with another screen, so 3DS...not exclusive, PSP at least.

In the end, it could still remain a PSP exclusive despite all this silence for months. :lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wouldn't expect it to be exclusive, but either PSP/3DS or Vita/3DS sounds about right. The fact that God Eater had cameos in two Nintendo exclusive titles since God Eater 2 vanished might hint at something like that.

One of them is Project X Zone...but what's the other title with God Eater cameo?
Taiko?

BadWolf

Wouldn't it make sense for them to build a base on a new system? If they go with Vita then if MonHun stays 3DS exclusive they can be the go to MonHun-like experience on the Vita, building their very own base with fans of the genre on the console.

Making it PSP/Vita would be the smarter decision financially I think but I'd rather they gave it a graphical boost and make it Vita exclusive.

Wouldn't it make sense for them to build a base on a new system? If they go with Vita then if MonHun stays 3DS exclusive they can be the go to MonHun-like experience on the Vita, building their very own base with fans of the genre on the console.

Making it PSP/Vita would be the smarter decision financially I think but I'd rather they gave it a graphical boost and make it Vita exclusive.

I cannot see God Eater being so successful on its own legs. Probably will be, but not at PSP level (it was the most successful new IP on PSP, selling over 600k).

BadWolf

I cannot see God Eater being so successful on its own legs. Probably will be, but not at PSP level (it was the most successful new IP on PSP, selling over 600k).

What do you mean by "its own legs"?

And if it was that successful already on PSP I don't see why the series can't continue to do well.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think it is based on an old PSP-DS sales spin, were it was said that people went to the stores looking for a DS but because they were sold out they bought a PSP instead.
That doesnt fit very well with this joke though. It is about that people already bought Toyko Jungle, a game with animals, and because of that then they wont buy Pokemon because this game also have "animals" in it. Neither of the games (nor the hardware, PS3 and 3DS) are supply constrained as far as i know.

Problem with that idea is that there is a very good argument that series like God Eater - or to pick another genre, Tales - tend to do best on platforms where the "genre kings" are established, rather than on platforms where they have free reign.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Vita's still far, far too risky, unless that thing can at least average out 30k a week, only extremely niche developers will look at that, or developers Sony has money hatted in some way.

It really doesn't make sense at this point business wise to bet on it.

Road

The first new reminded me we never got around that yearly prediction.

Is it already too late to predict the top 10 games of the year?

Bruno MB

The first new reminded me we never got around that yearly prediction.

Is it already too late to predict the top 10 games of the year?

That looks like a crazy prediction. (Well, just the top 10 or the top 10 with the figures?)

At least we know 7 games that will make it to that top:

Super Mario 3D Land
Monster Hunter 3G
Mario Kart 7
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Pokémon Black & White 2
One Piece: Pirate Warriors

Other games will depend on their release date, for example Animal Crossing 3DS.

Yes it's freaking awesome. You can buy it for 10 euro on European PSN.
Just make sure you play it on Vita to bind d-pad to second analog.

extralite

He's actually an MD, so it would be incorrect to not call him Dr. Kawashima (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryuta_Kawashima)

Same article also states that he is now a professor. So by that logic, wouldn't it be also incorrect to not call him Prof. Dr. Kawashima? If one title is mandatory, why not the other one? Which I think ranks higher than Dr. anyway.

So he has both, Nintendo are free to choose to use either or neither and they maybe wanted to stress the medical angle. Although calling the software 'medical' is a bit of a stretch.

Top Bottom