• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

wsippel

Banned
Same article also states that he is now a professor. So by that logic, wouldn't it be also incorrect to not call him Prof. Dr. Kawashima? If one title is mandatory, why not the other one? Which I think ranks higher than Dr. anyway.

So he has both, Nintendo are free to choose to use either or neither and they maybe wanted to stress the medical angle. Although calling the software 'medical' is a bit of a stretch.
At least in some countries, every "normal" professor is also a doctor, so the doctor title is usually omitted. Also, unlike "doctor", "professor" isn't an academic degree, but a title (comparable to "judge"), so there's no ranking.

saichi

That looks like a crazy prediction. (Well, just the top 10 or the top 10 with the figures?)

At least we know 7 games that will make it to that top:

Super Mario 3D Land
Monster Hunter 3G
Mario Kart 7
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Pokémon Black & White 2
One Piece: Pirate Warriors

Other games will depend on their release date, for example Animal Crossing 3DS.

RE6 will definitely make that list. Just for giggles, I'll throw in DQX as well.

Depending on when Wii U will be released, maybe NSMBU if there are more than a couple weeks for it to sell.

extralite

At least in some countries, every "normal" professor is also a doctor, so the doctor title is usually omitted. Also, unlike "doctor", "professor" isn't an academic degree, but a title (comparable to "judge"), so there's no ranking.

Well, since professor encompasses doctor, that way omitting professor seems like the bigger offense, since nothing would be lost by calling him professor but with doctor something beyond goes unmentioned (that something being an explicit part of the game title).

I guess they got his okay so it shouldn't be a big deal, but still it's a shame that most people aren't aware he's professor because of that game title translation.

Also I find the idea that I need to play Brain Age to get 'treatment' insulting. It's training, nothing more. I'd rather be trained by a professor than a doctor.

So in short: translation fail. At least for me.

hiska-kun

Candidates for the July predictions (not every single release, let me know if I forgot something interesting):

05/jul [3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV
05/jul [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Explosive Boost
05/jul [3DS] Run For Money: Tousouchuu
05/jul [PS3] Anarchy Reigns
05/jul [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival! 2

12/jul [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon
12/jul [3DS] Time Travelers
12/jul [PSP] Time Travelers
12/jul [PSV] Time Travelers

19/jul [3DS] Rune Factory 4
19/jul [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2012

19/jul [PS3] Ni no Kuni: WotWW All-in-One
19/jul [PSP] Digimon World: Re:digitize
19/jul [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2012
19/jul [PSP] Monster Hunter: Felyne Puzzle
19/jul [PSP] New Class of Heroes
19/jul [PSP] Record of Agarest War: Mariage
19/jul [PSP] Warrios Orochi 3: Special
19/jul [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2012
19/jul [WII] Kirby's 20th Anniversary Collection

26/jul [3DS] Cave Story 3D
26/jul [PS3] Aquapazza
26/jul [PS3] Choujikuu Yousai Macross Hybrid Pack
26/jul [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 HD
26/jul [PS3] Persona 4: Arena
26/jul [PSP] Nayuta no Kiseki
26/jul [PSP] Super Danganronpa 2
26/jul [WII] Just Dance Wii 2

28/jul [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2
28/jul [3DS] Demon Training

Let's reduce them to, I don't know, 10 or something.

Hi everybody. This is my first post in neogaf. But I've been lurking for a long time in the sales-age thread, so I know a lot about you. I hope we can spend good times and discuss about sales in a proper way.

I'd like to participate in the predictions. Bolded the ten games that I'm interested to predict this month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hi everybody. This is my first post in neogaf. But I've been lurking for a long time in the sales-age thread, so I know a lot about you. I hope we can spend good times and discuss about sales in a proper way.

Welcome, always good to have new blood. :)

Your profile mentions you're from Spain so you might also enjoy checking out European sales threads. We have a pretty active community in those too!

I'd like to participate in the predictions. Bolded the ten games that I'm interested to predict this month.

I don't take part in the predictions normally but of the games you bolded I think they're all interesting prediction candidates besides Baseball and Digimon. I'd substitute Time Travelers and Anarchy Reigns personally.

I am particularly interested in New Super Mario Bros 2. The 3DS performance so far has in some ways lived up to the DS and some ways not, but this is the first major ultra high-profile debut that might serve as a useful point of comparison between the two.

Road

That looks like a crazy prediction. (Well, just the top 10 or the top 10 with the figures?)

At least we know 7 games that will make it to that top:

Super Mario 3D Land
Monster Hunter 3G
Mario Kart 7
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Pokémon Black & White 2
One Piece: Pirate Warriors

Other games will depend on their release date, for example Animal Crossing 3DS.

Top 10 (or top 5) with YTD figures (not LTD).

There wouldn't be any closed game list. Everybody would come up with their own list. Something different from what we're doing.

Or if you think it's better we do the old way and choose a few games to predict the YTD.

I'm thinkng PSP/Vita for GE2 now (a la LBXW). Panic mode SCE.

Anyway, my July 10 vote is:

Plus we should do 3DS LL predictions.

donny2112

(unless digital sales are greater than I expect from Japan).

Good point! We could have a case where NSMB2 sells "more" but has a lower total than BW2 due to digital purchases.

On a side note, NSMB2 can be played all the way through in Co-Op like NSMBWii (just with two people, apparently). Do both need to have a copy of the game to make that work? Is that known, yet?

What is this joke based on?

Go read Stumpokapow's posts in the debut thread for Tokyo Jungle. Probably started before that in another thread, but that's where I noticed it starting.

test_account

XP-39C²
Go read Stumpokapow's posts in the debut thread for Tokyo Jungle. Probably started before that in another thread, but that's where I noticed it starting.
Thanks, but i didnt see anything mentioned there about Pokemon. I see mentioning of Afrika PS3, but that is all. I also did a quick search in the other Tokyo Jungle threads, but i couldnt find any Pokemon reference there either.

EDIT: Nevermind, i found it :) I thought you ment the debut thread of Tokyo Jungle from back in 2010, but i see now that you mean the first week it was for sale, in the Media Create thread.

I think it'd be interesting to have separate predictions for Time Travelers aggregate numbers.

There seems to be absolutely zero telling how this game will do.

Mondriaan

Problem with that idea is that there is a very good argument that series like God Eater - or to pick another genre, Tales - tend to do best on platforms where the "genre kings" are established, rather than on platforms where they have free reign.
I don't think that (good) MH style games wouldn't have sold extremely well on a DS if the DS hardware were capable of supporting such games.

I think it's be interesting to have separate predictions for Time Travelers aggregate numbers.

There seems to be absolutely zero telling how this game will do.
I've no clue on numbers, but I bet the platform order goes PSP >> 3DS > Vita.

I don't think that (good) MH style games wouldn't have sold extremely well on a DS if the DS hardware were capable of supporting such games.
DS had them (Phantasy Star Zero, Element Hunters, Kaiju Busters), they still did relatively middling and far below what they'd have done on PSP.

I think if there were a healthy built in audience on Vita for this then stuff like Lord of Apocalypse and Ragnarok Odyssey would have done a whole lot better. As is, they sold more like MH-like DS games tended to. I don't think that'll change with PSO2, SoulS or even GE2, you're still looking at (likely) a 200k ceiling.

Spiegel

I think if there were a healthy built in audience on Vita for this then stuff like Lord of Apocalypse and Ragnarok Odyssey would have done a whole lot better. As is, they sold more like MH-like DS games tended to. I don't think that'll change with PSO2, SoulS or even GE2, you're still looking at (likely) a 200k ceiling.

That's why Lord of Arcana sold bad on psp and for all we know Lord of Apocalypse has sold better on Vita compared to the psp version.

And Ragnarok is the highest selling game from GungHo

That's why Lord of Arcana sold bad on psp and for all we know Lord of Apocalypse has sold better on Vita compared to the psp version.

Arcana sold way better than Apocalypse did (over 100k), though there was some negative word of mouth from the first game iirc. Still, it was a launch game which probably helped it.

Are you sure about Ragnarok though? IIRC the DS spinoff sold more, both first week and lifetime. Even so, given the genre and franchise I'd have expected over 100k for Odyssey on pretty much any other current system besides Wii or 360. It's sales are pretty bad considering what the game is.

Lord of Arcana: it would have likely sold less without MH-fanbase
Lord of Apocalypse: Square Enix Vita launch title
Ragnarok: how did it sell? 60k? God Eater is a 400-600k seller, with such numbers you can argue that +4 million of MH fans have some effect on this game sales (as well as PSP from SEGA).

Spiegel

Arcana sold way better than Apocalypse did (over 100k), though there was some negative word of mouth from the first game iirc. Still, it was a launch game which probably helped it.

Are you sure about Ragnarok though? IIRC the DS spinoff sold more, both first week and lifetime. Even so, given the genre and franchise I'd have expected over 100k for Odyssey on pretty much any other current system besides Wii or 360. It's sales are pretty bad considering what the game is.

We got updated totals recently

LoA - 67k
Ragnarok - 62k
And iirc Ragnarok is pretty popular on psn (nº ratings).

Gungho is not a big publisher and making a Monster Hunter clone doesn't guarantee 100k+ sales even on PSP. It also depends on the publisher and the franchise.

I'm not saying Vita is good or bad for MH clones (it's probably worse than the 3DS considering where MH is) but these games didn't sell bad compared to the prequel and the same game on the "MH"system (LOA) and any of the other Gungho games (Ragnarok) so I can't say they could've sold better anywhere else.

LoA - 67k
Ragnarok - 62k

Gungho is not a big publisher and making a Monster Hunter clone doesn't guarantee 100k+ sales

I'm not saying Vita is good or bad for MH clones (it's probably worse than the 3DS considering where MH is) but these games didn't sell bad compared to the prequel and the same game on the "MH"system (LOA) and any of the other Gungho games (Ragnarok) so I can't say they could've sold better anywhere else.
I'm not saying every MH clone can or should move 100k+. What I'm saying is that a game like Ragnorak Odyssey, from a respected developer, in a mega popular subgenre, with a widely recognized brand, with generally very positive word of mouth, and with pretty excellent press coverage/reviews absolutely should have sold 100k+. The fact that even absolutely reviled drek like WKCO outsold it does your argument no favors, and a game like this doing only 62k isn't exactly an ecouraging sign of genre strength on Vita. That's all.

These games will most likely perform best by a huge margin on the same platform as the genre king, as they have have in the past. I see no real indications to contrary so far.

Spiegel

- Game Arts was known for Grandia, not Monster Hunter clones. And they haven't make one of these in 7 years. They are not relevant.
- Again, Gungho is not a big publisher. They have published 4 games and RO is their best selling one.
- Ragnarok is an old, known, MMORPG brand. It didn't help any of the other 2 Ragnarok games.

Anyway. It's fine if you think RO should have sold better.

Mondriaan

LoA - 67k
Ragnarok - 62k
Does that 62k include PSN store sales?

I would guess that when a multiplayer coop game is playable online, it makes online sales more likely.

- Game Arts was known for Grandia, not Monster Hunter clones. And they haven't make one of these in 7 years. They are not relevant.
- Again, Gungho is not a big publisher. They have published 4 games and RO is their best selling one.
- Ragnarok is an old, known, MMORPG brand. It didn't help any of the other 2 Ragnarok games.

Anyway. It's fine if you think RO should have sold better.
The PSP Lunar remake did decently and GA was also involved in Brawl, a game that's dramatically outsold every MH clone. They're fairly well known and in gaming circles definitely still respected. Their name being on RO gave it more audience awareness than the DS or PSP games certainly.

Gungho has published 3 RO console games alone, they published well over 4 games so far (well over 100 more if you count old GA or Broccoli stuff) and they're a pretty sizable F2P/mobile publisher. They're hardly a small company, they have almost 700 employees.

Ragnorak is a very well known IP (the original game is still running even afaik, with an active player base in the tens of millions at it's height), and given the DS game was a pretty medicore JRPG from a no name dev, which still sold 50k, I'd say the brand definitely helped. I think it's more stunning that Odyssey, with so many more significant advantages, barely outsold it.

You can keep trying to chip away at things, but the reality is that RO is a very appealing and marketable genre entry with a lot going for it, except the platform it's on. Being a Vita game is easily it's biggest hurdle, and I'd say it just doesn't really bode well for similar games on the platform.

Nekki

Candidates for the July predictions (not every single release, let me know if I forgot something interesting):

26/jul [PS3] Aquapazza

My picks. Don't know about Anarchy Reigns, it could still make it in. And Time Travelers.. well it's just for fun isn't it :D It can be a combined prediction too, whatever.

hiska-kun

Welcome, always good to have new blood. :)

Your profile mentions you're from Spain so you might also enjoy checking out European sales threads. We have a pretty active community in those too!

I don't take part in the predictions normally but of the games you bolded I think they're all interesting prediction candidates besides Baseball and Digimon. I'd substitute Time Travelers and Anarchy Reigns personally.

I am particularly interested in New Super Mario Bros 2. The 3DS performance so far has in some ways lived up to the DS and some ways not, but this is the first major ultra high-profile debut that might serve as a useful point of comparison between the two.

Thanks for your welcome :)
I want to know how Time Travelers will sell too, and I hope someday we can see a western release, but it seems unlikely at the moment.
Unfortunately, I don't expect good sales for the game, and I think it will be the next Level 5 Mega Bomba, that's why I ignored the game for the predictions.

About New Super Mario Bros 2, I'm more interested in the 3DS hardware sales for the week. I think >200k is possible.

Yeshua

26/jul [PS3] Aquapazza

Those I think are interesting to predict. I would suggest for Time Travelers to make a prediction for each version and a prediction for all version combined.

Takao

Banned

Creepy, lol.

wsippel

Banned
Well, since professor encompasses doctor, that way omitting professor seems like the bigger offense, since nothing would be lost by calling him professor but with doctor something beyond goes unmentioned (that something being an explicit part of the game title).

I guess they got his okay so it shouldn't be a big deal, but still it's a shame that most people aren't aware he's professor because of that game title translation.

Also I find the idea that I need to play Brain Age to get 'treatment' insulting. It's training, nothing more. I'd rather be trained by a professor than a doctor.

So in short: translation fail. At least for me.
Hard to tell. Friend of mine was a professor (he also has two or three doctorates - medicine, psychology and something else I believe), but he isn't a professor anymore. As in: he doesn't teach at a university anymore. Calling him a "doctor" is fine (you never lose your academic degrees), but you can't call him a "professor" anymore, because he stopped teaching. He's now a "professor emeritus", and needs to be declared as such. Again, that's German law. But Japanese law is almost identical, because Japan based it's civil law on German law. I'm not even kidding. Japan adopted the German civil law and DIN (German industry standards).

Bruno MB

Top 10 (or top 5) with YTD figures (not LTD).

There wouldn't be any closed game list. Everybody would come up with their own list. Something different from what we're doing.

Or if you think it's better we do the old way and choose a few games to predict the YTD.

Top 10 with YTD sales sounds good, it will be a fun prediction :)

DSi XL had a first shipment of 152k units, but it was released at the end of November.

DrWong

Hard to tell. Friend of mine was a professor (he also has two or three doctorates - medicine, psychology and something else I believe), but he isn't a professor anymore. As in: he doesn't teach at a university anymore. Calling him a "doctor" is fine (you never lose your academic degrees), but you can't call him a "professor" anymore, because he stopped teaching. He's now a "professor emeritus", and needs to be declared as such. Again, that's German law. But Japanese law is almost identical, because Japan based it's civil law on German law. I'm not even kidding. Japan adopted the German civil law and DIN (German industry standards).
Didn't knew that, about the law & standards stuff. Interesting.

There's LTD numbers in the first post.

Thanks, I am a regular here so I should have known better, but for some reason I was wrongly convinced all DSi models had been tracked as a single one.

Pretty good considering DSiLL has been out 2.5 years, and DSi has been out 3.5 years.

DSiLL | 2.319.066
DSi | 5.852.048

On top of that, I gather that japanese tend to dislike big devices and to like tiny ones, so colour me surprised at those DSiLL numbers.

Celine

Thanks, I am a regular here so I should have known better, but for some reason I was wrongly convinced all DSi models had been tracked as a single one.

On top of that, I gather that japanese tend to dislike big devices and to like tiny ones, so colour me surprised at those DSiLL numbers.
They had already bought all the "portable" (OG,Lite,i) DS they could.
There are more than 30M "portable" DS in Japan, LL simply catered to a need, that while niche, was still untapped by normal sized DSes.

donny2112

Couldn't Nintendo really ship more than 70k the launch week? Just askin'

Apparently not. Remember that they were bone dry with regular DS shipments, shipping all they could each week. December 2005 was way higher than they expected, so it drained all the stock. (They were intending for the stock to last until the DSL came out.) It was complete sellout for the next year for DS from that point. People would line up every Saturday just to wait for the next shipment of DSs. Used consoles went for a premium. People even imported some from the U.S. to sell in Japan. It was madness. Shipped = Sold for ~16 straight months in 2006-early 2007. :lol

Culex

Banned
I'm still shocked we haven't seen a 3DS version of Pokemon yet. 3DS will get a pretty massive boost i think. I'm going to guess about 110k for the week.

Does anyone know how did DSiXL perform compared to regular DSi?
Usually very similarly, with a slight edge to the newer, larger model.
DSiLL

Top Bottom