• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

Hmm, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Demon Training and New SMB 2 will do. Both of their predecessors were mega hits and DS system sellers, so I'm excited to see if they'll do the same for the 3DS.

I hope they, along with the 3DS LL, will bring a sales boost like the DS Lite + Mario did for the DS. I don't see the LL being as popular as the Lite, but we'll see.

Hmm, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Demon Training and New SMB 2 will do. Both of their predecessors were mega hits and DS system sellers, so I'm excited to see if they'll do the same for the 3DS.

I hope they, along with the 3DS LL, will bring a sales boost like the DS Lite + Mario did for the DS. I don't see the LL being as popular as the Lite, but we'll see.
Well that's also because the Lite was a gigantic improvement and the original was in desperate need of a revision. The 3DS isn't in desperate need of a revision.

It won't be as popular. People went crazy over the lite because it was sleeker and the screens were a lot better, I mean it completely left the phat DS obsolete as it did everything better. The XL is made to coexist with the OG 3DS and is more of an additional option. Saying that I'm totally ready to double dip on a red XL and NSMB2.

Well that's also because the Lite was a gigantic improvement and the original was in desperate need of a revision. The 3DS isn't in desperate need of a revision.

It won't be as popular. People went crazy over the lite because it was sleeker and the screens were a lot better, I mean it completely left the phat DS obsolete as it did everything better. The XL is made to coexist with the OG 3DS and is more of an additional option. Saying that I'm totally ready to double dip on a red XL and NSMB2.

I fully agree with the both of you, but there should definitely be a sales boost. I highly doubt it'll create a boost like the Lite has (especially considering how the original LL was received), but still, new hardware plus big games is a dangerous combination.

donny2112

I have to imagine that the references to the DSLite are mainly for the U.S. market. It was the DSLite's release that propelled DS in the U.S. market. DS was already constant-sellout-huge in Japan before the Lite came, but it certainly helped that sellout last a lot longer, too. :)

I fully agree with the both of you, but there should definitely be a sales boost. I highly doubt it'll create a boost like the Lite has (especially considering how the original LL was received), but still, new hardware plus big games is a dangerous combination.
Oh of course. I was simply stating that it won't reach the craziness of dslite because 3ds ll isn't meant to replace the original.

I have to imagine that the references to the DSLite are mainly for the U.S. market. It was the DSLite's release that propelled DS in the U.S. market. DS was already constant-sellout-huge in Japan before the Lite came, but it certainly helped that sellout last a lot longer, too. :)
I think so. Its a perfect storm for nintendo with the next brain age, nsmb2 and a hardware revision. They aren't messing around.

Road

So how long till the numbers are out? Two hours?

I'm starting to think you're a bot programmed to ask that every week because there's no way...

Ps.: if you have any health condition that prevents you from memorizing what you've learned last week, then I'm sorry.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 26, 2012 (Jun 18 - Jun 24)

01./00. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800) - 1.618.621 / NEW
02./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.05.31} (¥5.490)
03./04. [PS3] Tokyo Jungle <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.06.07} (¥4.980)
04./01. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329)
05./00. [PSP] Kenka Bancho Bros: Tokyo Battle Royale <ADV> (Spike) {2012.06.21} (¥5.229)
06./06. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.05.24} (¥4.800)
07./00. [PS3] K-On! After School Live!! HD Ver. <ACT> (Sega) {2012.06.21} (¥5.229)
08./09. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
09./03. [PS3] Lollipop Chainsaw # <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) {2012.06.14} (¥7.980)
10./07. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.05.24} (¥7.990)

Bruno MB

02./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.05.31} (¥5.490)

I wonder if Pokémon Black and White 2 will have affected in any meaningful way its sales.

04./01. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329)

An 80 per cent drop would be ok.

05./00. [PSP] Kenka Bancho Bros: Tokyo Battle Royale <ADV> (Spike) {2012.06.21} (¥5.229)

Flop.

Wow at Mario tennis and Dragon's dogma!

I wonder if Pokémon Black and White 2 will have affected in any meaningful way its sales.

I reckon B&W2 may have affected DQ, but in a positive way, as many new 3DS' purchasers may have looked for a game to showcase 3DS' features along with brand new 2D Pokemon, and Dragon quest is a mainstream IP as well that may be appealing to a similar demographic.

Why was it only 1 day ?

Still 70-80% drop is kinda normal for core genre like jrpg in Japan. If it will be like 90% that would be problem (but if it lost 90% it would be below 3DS trinity)

pramath

Banned
I'm starting to think you're a bot programmed to ask that every week because there's no way...

Ps.: if you have any health condition that prevents you from memorizing what you've learned last week, then I'm sorry.

I drop in and out of these threads, and I'm all over the place. Usually, I have to take into account multiple timezones when I am trying to do the conversion, and most of the time, I ask the question, and then when I return, the answer to my question (if there is any) is usually lost within a page or so of posts.
Right now, I have to remember when the numbers go up in at least three different timezones, hence the question every week :p

10 minutes for Famitsu chart (w/out numbers), 2 hours and 10 minutes for Media Create chart+numbers.

Thank you

saichi

I drop in and out of these threads, and I'm all over the place. Usually, I have to take into account multiple timezones when I am trying to do the conversion, and most of the time, I ask the question, and then when I return, the answer to my question (if there is any) is usually lost within a page or so of posts.
Right now, I have to remember when the numbers go up in at least three different timezones, hence the question every week :p

you should use a calendar. :)

I don't understand this reasoning at all. Why do you care about multiple timezones when the numbers always show up at the same time regardless of timezone? I would understand it if the time was recently modified (like through Daylight Savings) but you're asking this question every single week.

pramath

Banned
I don't understand this reasoning at all. Why do you care about multiple timezones when the numbers always show up at the same time regardless of timezone? I would understand it if the time was recently modified (like through Daylight Savings) but you're asking this question every single week.

Well, mostly because I just forget, simple as that :)
The multiple timezones thing matters because I am usually in a different one every week quite often.
I've saved the time in my Calender, however, so hopefully, I won't annoy you all with the question anymore :D

mclem

I had difficulty remembering for a while; I would just nip back to the previous week's thread, see when that was posted, then round to the previous hour. Problem solved!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I figured I would ask this here so I don't shit up Xilia 2 threads, but is such a short turnaround for an RPG the norm in Japan? A full sequel coming basically a year later? I know that in series like Yakuza that doesn't seem to be an issue, but man that just seems like a recipe for underperformance.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was thinking the same, almost every single jRPG excluding, perhaps, two mega-big franchises have a drop rate between 75 and 85%...
Indeed. Even the big franchises have big drops. I.e Dragon Quest 9 had a 74% drop in the 2nd week.

We were talking about an 80% drop, well, many jRPG did not have such big drop.
Which jrpgs doesnt have a 2nd week drop around 80%? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but i cant think of any jrpgs that doesnt have a big drop in the 2nd week.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
10k of increase for 3DS. Expected more. Not that the number is bad, obviously. XD
Vita...OUCH.

Top Bottom