• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2014 (Jun 09 - Jun 15)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
i find it amusing that the wII U is still beating the PS4 in japan.

Japan ,,, with all respect, is the only country in the world that video games fans behave in a strange way

I assume more people are buying the console with games they want to play than the one without. Is that strange?

Japan ,,, with all respect, is the only country in the world that video games fans behave in a strange way

they keep things interesting so it is more fun than NPD

the streams will cross again and again

small44

Once we will have a Final Fanatsy game Wii u i predict Wii u will never outsell Ps4 again

L~A

[3DS] One Piece Unlimited World Red - 252,357

Thanks a bunch!

At this rate, 3DS is never going to catch up with PSP is it?

Depends. If there's a new model (and there will be one... I'm sure. I doubt they'll stay without doing anything), pretty sure it'll reach 20m towards the very end of its life (probably after the 4DS has launched).

How's that amusing? There's barely any games tailored to Japaneses tasts on PS4. Why would they buy a console if there's no game they're interested on it?

At least, the Wii U got 3D World last year, and Mario Kart 8 in late May. PS4 got nothing, except Yakuza which was also released on PS3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A good third week for Mario Kart 8. And, at least according to Media Create, it seems Wii U isn't dropping that much. Could it be it found a new baseline? Mind you, still very low, but certainly better than last year's.

Maybe MK8 is actually having an effect on hardware sales, after all. Just not all during the launch week.

Eolz

Nice hold I guess, but still bad numbers all around.
It'd be cool if E3 announcements gave some sort of renewed interest in consoles.

A good third week for Mario Kart 8. And, at least according to Media Create, it seems Wii U isn't dropping that much. Could it be it found a new baseline? Mind you, still very low, but certainly better than last year's.

Maybe MK8 is actually having an effect on hardware sales, after all. Just not all during the launch week.
Superior tracker says no.

Or it's at least so far not having any more of an effect than Pikmin 3 seemingly did.

zroid

Banned

it's not really that strange because there's nothing to play on PS4 in Japan right now. Wii U is currently being boosted by one of the all-time top-selling franchises in Mario Kart 8. Both are likely destined for the same fate... one where Japanese gamers have abandoned home consoles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Depends on your perspective. To me, it's very strange that people all over the world buy boatloads of EA sports games or CoDs. Then again, from a bit more reflected position, it's not so strange, because they just happen to like those games, but from that perspective, Japanese sales aren't that strange either.

Mpl90

Superior tracker says no.

Or it's at least so far not having any more of an effect than Pikmin 3 seemingly did.

I know, this discrepancy between MC and Famitsu is quite strange. Not the first time it happened, and certainly not the last :p

Still, MK8 continuing selling well could be a good sign for the next future.

P.S. Can I be honest?

06./00. [PS3] One Piece: Unlimited World Red <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.12} (¥7.171) - 18.026 / NEW
07./00. [PSV] One Piece: Unlimited World Red <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.12} (¥6.145) - 10.348 / NEW
15./00. [WIU] One Piece: Unlimited World Red <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.12} (¥7.171) - 4.209 / NEW

I thought One Piece on Wii U would have done a lot worse than this. It's not a good result, but, given first day report, I started thinking about 2,000 units sold :lol

Freeman

Banned
Are people really under the impression WiiU will sell more in Japan at the end?

If that's the case, RIP console market in Japan.

Darius

Banned
If you're in Japan and want to buy a PS4, what on earth is there to buy for it? Western multiplats aren't going to help you move systems in Japan Sony. Where the hell are the Japanese games?

Ironically the new PS4 bundle with a free copy of Fifa worldcup is the reason the system isn´t doing even worse.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
At this rate, 3DS is never going to catch up with PSP is it?

it depends if they'll see another decline next yera or not.
PSP is at 20 millions. 3DS is around 15.6 millions.
PSP is no more distributed in Japan.
3DS sold 1 million so far in '14, while last year sold 1.8 million at week 24.
At the end of 2013 3DS sold 4.8 millions. That means that it sold 3 millions from week 24 and the end of the year. If we assume a similar decline YoY the 3DS could end the 2014 selling more or less a total amount of 2.8 millions, reaching 17.5 millions.
if next year it will sell similarly to this year, it will be on par with PSP.
So, it depends to me if they'' see another decline YoY or if they'' be able to stay stable (introducing a new model maybe? maybe the 2DS, or maybe with NFC technology integrated to interact with amiibo?)

Bruno MB

Since One Piece: Unlimited World Red is a port of a portable multiplayer action game I thought the PS Vita version would outsell its PS3 counterpart, anyway all 3 versions sold terribly bad.

BadWolf

If you're in Japan and want to buy a PS4, what on earth is there to buy for it? Western multiplats aren't going to help you move systems in Japan Sony. Where the hell are the Japanese games?

Its not so much Sony's fault as it is Japan's overall, they just aren't making as many games as they used to for consoles.

Look at companies like Konami, Square and many more, all just shadows of their former selves.

Exile20

Are people really under the impression WiiU will sell more in Japan at the end?

If that's the case, RIP console market in Japan.
Can you explain this? If the Wii u takes off and sells gang busters and the ps4 doesnt then rip Japan? Why?

Mpl90

I think we're going to have to wait at least a few weeks more before talking new baselines.

I think that goes without saying. I mean, seeing MK8 still selling well during its third week is a possible good sign, because it means that there seems to be some interest in the game, so it could continue to sell in the next weeks, and Wii U dropping not that much (at least going with MC numbers) could mean it's moving to a new baseline...but it's obvious we'll have to see next weeks to comprehend if this is really happening.

This week is showing some signs of improvements; let's see if next weeks confirm them, though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Very decent early legs for Q and MK8! An honorable hold for Wii U as well, it being Wii U and all.

Yo-kai Watch has GOAT legs though, holy shit

test_account

XP-39C²
Can you explain this? If the Wii u takes off and sells gang busters and the ps4 doesnt then rip Japan? Why?
I guess that he means that its highly unlikely that the WiiU will pull any big numbers in Japan, and if the PS4 sells worse than this, then we're looking at very low console hardware numbers all around.

Usobuko

Banned
Did they include more content for that One Piece game compared to its earlier 3ds version? I remember they did but I forgot what they actually put in.

Freeman

Banned
It won't take off that is my point, why would it? If the WiiU becomes the reference for performance in Japan, its over.

random25

It's a good thing really that Wii U is holding above 10k levels. MC numbers from last week to this week (about 1k dip), so while MK8 didn't help it sell gangbusters, it's keeping the system afloat.

The next interesting to see is Yokai Watch 2 release. Maybe its audience has already bought a 3DS but we'll still have to see how the new smash hit will help the 3DS sales.

AniHawk

Mario Kart is holding well, but I expect it will be bundled before it reaches a million.

it will probably be bundled for the holidays to help move super smash bros., while in the us, super smash bros. (with a gamecube controller and adapter for $300) will be bundled during the holidays in the us and europe.

and then smash bros. will be bundled with the wii u next year in japan for ... zelda's launch? i don't know. zelda will probably do 100k over there.

Evenflow

No way in hell they are going to reach that forecast though. They barely shipped 12 million last fiscal year and they are down yoy in every territory.

Well for one they haven't dropped the price in what? 3 years? I'm assuming that's incoming, not to mention with those targets they most likely have a 3dsi or something in the pipeline.

mrmickfran

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Series (Biggest second week sales)

[PS1] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 62.661 / 263.808 (-69%)
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) {2009.11.01} - 43.720 / 152.063 (-60%)
[PS1] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 37.500 / 208.077 (-78%)
[PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) {2008.07.10} - 35.301 / 247.268 (-83%)
[PS2] Persona 3 (Atlus) {2006.07.13} - 32.268 / 159.740 (-75%)
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus) {2014.06.05} - 31.166 / 217.564 (-83%)
[PS1] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 19.607 / 139.090 (-84%)
[PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus) {2012.06.14} - 18.069 / 170.568 (-88%)

Bonus:

[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus) {2013.05.23} - 28.499 / 213.310 (-85%)

Source: Famitsu

I find it hilarious that Persona Q, a spin-off of a spin-off, is doing better than a game from the main series: SMTIV.

it depends if they'll see another decline next yera or not.
PSP is at 20 millions. 3DS is around 15.6 millions.
PSP is no more distributed in Japan.
3DS sold 1 million so far in '14, while last year sold 1.8 million at week 24.
At the end of 2013 3DS sold 4.8 millions. That means that it sold 3 millions from week 24 and the end of the year. If we assume a similar decline YoY the 3DS could end the 2014 selling more or less a total amount of 2.8 millions, reaching 17.5 millions.
if next year it will sell similarly to this year, it will be on par with PSP.
So, it depends to me if they'' see another decline YoY or if they'' be able to stay stable (introducing a new model maybe? maybe the 2DS, or maybe with NFC technology integrated to interact with amiibo?)

Could just be reaching saturation

Still allows it to drive insane software sales which is where the money is right?

Top Bottom