• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2014 (Jun 09 - Jun 15)

A little worried about Vita. After Freedom Wars next week and the eventual release of Phantasy Star Nova some time this year there really isn't anything else coming that will push its sales.

But I guess this has always been its problem.

It has the lineup pretty solid for the rest of 2014

I expect lots of 2015 lineup to be announced at Gamescom/TGS

To early to be concerned over 2015 unless they show nothing later this year

I find it hilarious that Persona Q, a spin-off of a spin-off, is doing better than a game from the main series: SMTIV.

It seems to be following a pattern... the more spin off it is, the better it is selling... for exemple, Persona Q sold better than some Persona mainline titles... next: Persona Q spin off: Trauma Q Persona.:)

urfe

The Wii U could still become a hit in Japan, that's awesome.

I'm not sure what game could cause a craze though. Still need that perfect game...

Happy MK8 is still on top.

Shizuka

The Wii U could still become a hit in Japan, that's awesome.

I'm not sure what game could cause a craze though. Still need that perfect game...

Happy MK8 is still on top.

3D World didn't do it, Kart 8 didn't do it, there is only Smash Bros left.

Well for one they haven't dropped the price in what? 3 years? I'm assuming that's incoming, not to mention with those targets they most likely have a 3dsi or something in the pipeline.

Well last year they had 2DS, first mainline Pokemon for 3DS, MH4 in Japan, Animal Crossing in EU and US and plenty of medium sized games. This years line up just pales in comparison. Not to mention that to achiece that 12 million forecast matching last year is not enough because 3DS has been so much down yoy. They would have to be up yoy for rest of the year. Impossible.

urfe

Nah, I don't think one of their current IPs could do it. Needs to be something to wake up the populace to consoles.

Not Splatoon either.

I would've never before thought maybe the game doesn't exist, but maybe that's the case?

KtSlime

i find it amusing that the wII U is still beating the PS4 in japan.

Japan ,,, with all respect, is the only country in the world that video games fans behave in a strange way
If you mean prefer gaming over graphics, yeah, they are pretty strange.

A little worried about Vita. After Freedom Wars next week and the eventual release of Phantasy Star Nova some time this year there really isn't anything else coming that will push its sales.

Next month might see a decent bump with two 'Super Value' hardware bundles out July 10, then the release of Oreshika on the 17th.

If Wii U was to take off in Japan - or anywhere - and realising that this is real pie-in-the-sky, utterly-unlikely-to-happen stuff, it would be off the back of something unlike any of the usual suspects. Think Pokemon or Wii Sports when they first appeared, not an iteration of an existing franchise.

Sen No Kiseki 2 is out in December I believe.
Neptune U is this fall or winter as well.
Anyways, there will absolutely need to be some big (or at least bigger) ticket items on the Vita docket for 2015 announced at TGS this year. I expect that to happen, however, as there is still earnest effort being put into the platform in Japan.

random25

On another note: Nice to see Kirby at 600k (almost on MC tracker)!

19./19. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 3.379 / 599.510 (-9%)
25./23. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 2.854 / 628.768 <80-100%> (-4%)

Kirby.png

test_account

XP-39C²
If you mean prefer gaming over graphics, yeah, they are pretty strange.
I dont think the graphics play much role into these sales. Its the gameplay itself that is the reason. Little interest in the games themself.

EDIT: I know what you mean, but i just wanted to say that all games have gaming. Its not like the PS4 games are just graphical showcases. It comes down to what type of games/gameplay people in general prefer.

Evenflow

Well last year they had 2DS, first mainline Pokemon for 3DS, MH4 in Japan, Animal Crossing in EU and US and plenty of medium sized games. This years line up just pales in comparison. Not to mention that to achiece that 12 million forecast matching last year is not enough because 3DS has been so much down yoy. They would have to be up yoy for rest of the year. Impossible.

I agree it's very far fetched. Was just pointing out I think the sytem desperately needs a worldwide price drop, and it's been 3 years so I think that is possible hopefully soon, and everyone knows there will be some sort of refresh like a DSi even if we have no idea what it could be... Nintendo always comes up with something. Those 2 things could lead to some monster holiday sales with MH4g, smash, and Pokemon... making that 12 million target a little more realistic I guess, you just never know when nintendo+holidays can absolutely explode.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
one thing we've been talking about in the NPD thread is the difference between the market dying (which many of us don't believe) and the market contracting to essentially a point before PS2 started the earliest era of the casual bubble.

Do we have pre-PS2 era weekly numbers or estimates for JPN?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So far the Skylanders type of games haven't had their time to shine in Japan. Starting this Holiday season with Smash WiiU and next year on 3DS these games could provide a push for these system, especially if Nintendo can do the WiiU price further.

Yokai Watch spinoff on WiiU being able to interact with the 3DS main titles through figures.

TheChaos0

SCEJ is a fool for not making a Freedom Wars Vita bundle.

They are not? That's strange, considering 3DS has a special edition console/bundles for a quite a lot of its games. And considering that we had a bundle for Soul Sacrifice, I'm finding it even stranger.

Shizuka

They are not? That's strange, considering 3DS has a special edition console/bundles for a quite a lot of its games. And considering that we had a bundle for Soul Sacrifice, I'm finding it even stranger.

Even God Eater 2 got one. It's SCEJ's strongest Vita title since Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice, not having a bundle is crazy.

DrWong

So far the Skylanders type of games haven't had their time to shine in Japan. Starting this Holiday season with Smash WiiU and next year on 3DS these games could provide a push for these system, especially if Nintendo can do the WiiU price further.

Yokai Watch spinoff on WiiU being able to interact with the 3DS main titles through figures.

Indeed, the push should be big with the nfc addon for 3DS and maybe a new 3DS model with nfc. I expect some character based IP/publisher to test the waters, Yokai Watch with its medals is a perfect candidate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Channel power shouldn't be an issue though. Don't forget, Sega was the distribution partner for Atlus games even under Index.

I meant more in terms of combined distribution/publishing power.

Like Index was going bankrupt while Sega is very cash rich, so Sega can overspend on marketing in an effort to grow the series whereas Index had to be cautious.

Or, as an example, how Activision was able to pour in a ton of money to Guitar Hero to make it grow compared to Red Octane.

one thing we've been talking about in the NPD thread is the difference between the market dying (which many of us don't believe) and the market contracting to essentially a point before PS2 started the earliest era of the casual bubble.

Do we have pre-PS2 era weekly numbers or estimates for JPN?
The traditional japanese market was biggest during PS1-era (revenue-wise). :p

PS2-era was actually quite lower than PS1 & Wii/NDS, but can't post graphs because I'm not at home.

Nibel

A overall rather disappointing (or average?) week for all platforms, yet the PS4 numbers dropped way faster than I expected:

Code:
|  PS4  |      8.395 |

iL1LJqUx7uLSV.gif

What do you guys think could the impact of services like PS Now be? What's Japan's stance on comparabale services or services in general?

I mean that software lineup doesn't look too promising at first glance.. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and Watch_Dogs are the next "big" releases and not sure if these set Nippon on fire.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I'm fully expecting the "DSi" of 3DS this year, since there are similar conditions to 2008 (DS being way down compared to 2007; DS Lite launched in 2006 and, since then, no other revisions). I don't know if it's sure it's going to have NFC capabilities, since the portal for other 3DS models will be released in early 2015, and that's when we should see 3DS titles supporting NFC as well. But I could also see a scenario where the new SKU releases with NFC functions, first for credit card payment and amiibo support only for Smash Bros. for 3DS, and then with the bigger push after the 3DS portal's launch.

duckroll

I meant more in terms of combined distribution/publishing power.

Like Index was going bankrupt while Sega is very cash rich, so Sega can overspend on marketing in an effort to grow the series whereas Index had to be cautious.

Or, as an example, how Activision was able to pour in a ton of money to Guitar Hero to make it grow compared to Red Octane.

Yeah but I don't feel that's really much of a factor here. I think it's worth noting that Index didn't go bankrupt because Atlus had no money and business was going poorly, they went bankrupt because of illegal business dealings and bad debt.

Before they got caught with their pants down, I don't think they had any issues with marketing and publishing. SMT4 had pretty aggressive marketing as well, and Dragon's Crown was a huge success. In the end, PQ is probably going to perform pretty close to both those titles (~250k).

I honestly think it's more of an indication of the growing strength of the Atlus brand and interest in their products. P4U did surprisingly well too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah but I don't feel that's really much of a factor here. I think it's worth noting that Index didn't go bankrupt because Atlus had no money and business was going poorly, they went bankrupt because of illegal business dealings and bad debt.

Before they got caught with their pants down, I don't think they had any issues with marketing and publishing. SMT4 had pretty aggressive marketing as well, and Dragon's Crown was a huge success. In the end, PQ is probably going to perform pretty close to both those titles (~250k).

I honestly think it's more of an indication of the growing strength of the Atlus brand and interest in their products. P4U did surprisingly well too.

That is very possible. As brands continue to be well received they generally start to grow, especially given that the sales volume here isn't near some theoretical cap like a Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter might be.

I just wanted to consider the possibility since it is something that has notably changed since the last time Atlus shipped out a game.

There's also decidedly less competition in the JRPG space these days so Atlus has a lot of potential customers to soak up who aren't flooded with too many games in the genre to play.

A overall rather disappointing (or average?) week for all platforms, yet the PS4 numbers dropped way faster than I expected:

Code:
|  PS4  |      8.395 |

What do you guys think could the impact of services like PS Now be? What's Japan's stance on comparabale services or services in general?

I mean that software lineup doesn't look too promising at first glance.. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and Watch_Dogs are the next "big" releases and not sure if these set Nippon on fire.

The PS4 will probably continue to do horribly until next year at the minimum. I mean, holiday sales will be higher, but the system has no Eastern games outside of Omega Quintet with solid release dates.

valouris

The only thing that is an unknown variable and a possible sleeper hit atm is the Amiibo stuff. I don't know how Japan sees these things, but if there is a craze I believe it could make the Wii U more respectable there. Smash Bros. is the obvious other possibility, but it is for the same audience as MK8/Mario 3D World/Pikmin etc. I think, i.e. I can't see it causing a bigger bump than those games, esp with the 3DS version in existence.

Nibel

The PS4 will probably continue to do horribly until next year at the minimum. I mean, holiday sales will be higher, but the system has no Eastern games outside of Omega Quintet with solid release dates.

Damn, it really seems that way. Seems like 2014 in Japan will be very difficult for the PS4 - I can see MGSV, KH3 and FFXV pushing hardware sales, but who knows when they will exactly come out (can't imagine KH3 coming out before 2016).

How does the 3ds compare to PSP? And on a worldwide scale? Is it selling better?

3ds is at 42million, right?

3DS won´t reach PSP WW numbers especially with the sharp decline of the device. In Japan it will be difficult reaching 20 million. I doubt it does with this decline. PSP sold 80 million WW which is pretty good.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
nope it's crawling like a one legged turtle for me as well

anyway, unexciting numbers all around. WiiU is holding well onto its dreadful numbers, but the PS4 beats it in terms of awfulness. MK8 doing good, Youkai Watch is a phenomenon, and the 3DS is lagging, these Smash/Pokemon/MonHun need to come out now

Top Bottom