• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2014 (Jun 09 - Jun 15)

Are they going to rise in the same fashion as dedicated hardware games? I'd say part of rising development costs in the console and handheld space is due to rising consumer expectations of complexity and graphical and visual fidelity, rather than necessarily increasing hardware power. Big publishers could make their AAA games that looked like PS1 games on PS4 hardware, but no one would buy them.

Will the same be the case in the mobile sphere? Will it be to the same degree?

I believe it will not be like that. Even for current Nintendo handhelds, the consumers don't expect complexity and graphical and visual fidelity. Besides, the most successful mobile games do not have stellar graphics despite running in hardware far superior than Playstation Vita.

This problem will only happen if they promise "console experiences on-the-go", which is why Vita has been having problems in the western market, since it cannot live up to that promise, frustrating the consumer expectations and making the development costs prohibitive considering the small audience.

first day sellthrough {2014.06.19}
[PSV] htoL NiQ: Hotaru no Nikki - 60-70%

I'd be happy for NIS for the good sellthrough, but considering their shipment must have been very small, it will hardly have a different fate than most of the non-Disgaea NIS offerings.

saichi

Thanks. So more or less the same performance. I was expecting a little better since this time it's a RPG.
Anyway the important things for taiko are legs.

even Taiko on WiiU has legs... so that shouldn't be a problem. If there is no Taiko announced for WiiU this holiday, I fully expect the existing one to chart in December.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not sure what you're getting at here, in terms of forming an opinion. At some point smart phones and tablets will reach saturation, but there wasn't really a question in there?
Are they going to rise in the same fashion as dedicated hardware games? I'd say part of rising development costs in the console and handheld space is due to rising consumer expectations of complexity and graphical and visual fidelity, rather than necessarily increasing hardware power. Big publishers could make their AAA games that looked like PS1 games on PS4 hardware, but no one would buy them.

As duckroll pointed out mobile secondary functions are "good enough" rather than necessarily best in class. They're competent enough that fewer people need to buy dedicated devices.
The top grossing mobile games in Japan are overwhelmingly sprite art or simplistic 3D because people want things that download over LTE (or quickly if they're on wi-fi) and load fast, as they're using them to spend some time.

There are more complex games that have a chart presence, but that's certainly more niche than the top grossing spots, which are what drive mobile revenue to huge heights.

Changing hardware hasn't affected this yet outside of switching the top grossers from feature phone designed card-sprite auto-battling RPGs to puzzle games and light strategy titles (along with seeing a huge uptick in revenue as these are much more like games and much more responsive than the web page based games of yore for featurephones).

Not sure what you're getting at here, in terms of forming an opinion. At some point smart phones and tablets will reach saturation, but there wasn't really a question in there?
Market saturation brings new opportunities for other devices, maybe for the traditional gaming systems or whatever M$/Sony/Nintendo can come up with.

As duckroll pointed out mobile secondary functions are "good enough" rather than necessarily best in class. They're competent enough that fewer people need to buy dedicated devices.
The "development cost" thing isn't my main point, it's more about market saturation, that was just a smaller point.

Anyway, I don't have time to look it up currently, but I saw some reports that the average development cost increased and I think the more money the companies earn,
the more they're going to spend on R&D (because they can & naturally they're going to do so), etc.

Even if we have simple games now, companies can invest more money and create better games and therefore the overall standard increases.

But I'd need to look up some data to see if this is a realistic point of view.

I dont remember seeing much about dev costs increasing but advertising and promotion costs for visibility on the stores has apparently ballooned alot

Market saturation brings new opportunities for other devices, maybe for the traditional gaming systems or whatever M$/Sony/Nintendo can come up with.
I really don't think smartphone saturation is going to bring any sort of boon to dedicated devices. I don't think people are going to "regress" to wanting to carry around more and specialized devices.

Tablets are sort of the logical next step in terms of mobile computing, and they're probably eating away in some manner into smartphone share.

Beyond that, I don't know what could supplant the smartphone, but I don't really think it will come from Sony or Nintendo, Microsoft perhaps but I'm also doubtful. I expect it's more likely to come from something like Google Glass. Or some complete upstart perhaps.
Even if we have simple games now, companies can invest more money and create better games and therefore the overall standard increases.
This is a cycle that occurred in the console space, but as the posters above noted, it doesn't seem to be the case in the mobile space as yet. And even in the handheld space it was never as prevalent, which is probably why Sony's efforts always fell flat in terms of trying to bring the console experience to portables. These games are essentially casual distractions for commutes, so I don't really know if standards for spectacle and immersion are ever going to get particularly costly, at least relative to the dedicated market.

Although I can definitely see advertising budgets spiraling. I always find it odd when I see an ad for King and Pet Rescue Saga on TV, but that I'm seeing it presumably means they're spending big.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Iwata said a while ago they plan to move to transition to new hardware within 2 years. That means well likely see Wii-III this upcoming E3 with a release late 2015 to mid 2016. what they showed this E3 is likely most of the games that will ever come to the wiiu and I wouldn't be surprised to see Zelda go cross platform.

the Xbox One will easily outsell the wiiU because it has minimum 4 years of life left depending on this generations life span. The wiiU has 1 and is in the process of being phased out.

Lol is all I have to say to the "Wii U only has 1 year left on the market". Nintendo still needs to release a handheld successor by then and I don't think they're close to ready. They'll ride out the Wii U by releasing quite a few games until late 2016 at least imo... I'd say the successor releases 2017 at best.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Little Amazon.co.jp watch, as of 21:13 GMT

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is 1st since preorders started
Minecraft PS3 is always at least in top 5, if not top 3, and it's the US version. I fear I've also seen the PAL version charting in the 80th-100th part of the charts :lol It's amazing
Watch Dogs PS4 is 3rd, always in top 5, and now the PS3 is in top 10/around top 10 as well.
Freedom Wars is high despite it having a mark-up price. It's going to have a pretty good debut, seeing also Comgnet datas...over 150,000 almost certainly.
Bayonetta 2, since preorders opened, never left the top 10, and the lowest it's been is 7th. It seriously looks like combining it with Bayo 1 is working, right now. It seems completely different from W101, which highest placement in charts was around...50th, and that was right after the special Direct it had (;________;).
Mario Kart 7th, currently, it seems it won't leave the top 10 for quite some time.

Bayonetta 2, since preorders opened, never left the top 10, and the lowest it's been is 7th. It seriously looks like combining it with Bayo 1 is working, right now. It seems completely different from W101, which highest placement in charts was around...50th, and that was right after the special Direct it had (;________;).
Terrible. :lol

And Xbox One is at #1 and #3 right now, it's coming!

Sega Networks (Sega Mobile) revealed revenue figures

asqRQeo.jpg

Chain Chronicle made total revenue of 7.5B yen in 9 months

The division as whole made 21B yen revenue last year.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/release/sshdNewsList.do?yearSearch=yearSearch&year=2014

6 days before release:

Freedom Wars - 138pts
Toukiden - 99pts
God Eater 2 - 362pts
Soul Sacrifice - 32pts
Sword Art Online - 209pts
Persona 4 Golden - 183pts

Freedom Wars is now tied with Toukiden as the 6th most pre-ordered Vita game on COMG.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega Networks (Sega Mobile) revealed revenue figures

Chain Chronicle made total revenue of 7.5B yen in 9 months

The division as whole made 21B yen revenue last year.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/release/sshdNewsList.do?yearSearch=yearSearch&year=2014
Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

Most notably, some of the games in tier 2 chart in Japan below the tier 3 titles, implying that their success is likely notably fueled by mainland Asia and Taiwan.

Quite a few Japanese companies have actually seen good mobile (and sometimes online f2p PC) success in that region, which is why we see a lot of publishers investing notably there.

Another good example is the Onimusha browser game, which if I understand Capcom's comments well, does very well primarily based on its performance in Taiwan.

For the curious, 7.5 billion yen is $73,475,400 at a 70% margin, which is very healthy and in terms of raw margin, is like selling a tad over 2 million units of a $60 console game (60% margin according to EA * $60 * X units to hit the same revenue number).

Given that almost no Sega games hit 2 million units anymore, especially all at first price, this is why we see a large shift in their efforts toward service games on mobile and PC like this.

Also here's how the game has been charting, so it's making this kind of money without being a super astronomical hit either.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.06.26}

[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.119)
[3DS] Jukugo: Sokuhiki Jiten <EDU> (Altron) (¥4.968)

[PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Girls & Panzer: Senshado, Kiwamemasu! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.171)
[PSV] Girls & Panzer: Senshado, Kiwamemasu! [Rival treasure Box] <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.778)
[PSV] Cross Channel: For All People # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Cross Channel: For All People [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.504)
[PSV] Robotics;Notes Elite # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Robotics;Notes Elite [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.504)
[PSV] Aiyoku no Eustia: Angel's Blessing # <ADV> (HuneX) (¥7.452)
[PSV] Aiyoku no Eustia: Angel's Blessing [Limited Edition] <ADV> (HuneX) (¥9.612)
[PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Super Price Series) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥5.184)

[PSP] Black Code # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.480)
[PSP] Black Code [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥9.180)

[WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.689)
[WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II [Premium TV Sound Edition] <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥11.286)

[PS4] Watch Dogs <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥9.072)
[PS4] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.344)

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.689)
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II [Premium TV Sound Edition] <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥11.286)
[PS3] Watch Dogs <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥7.992)
[PS3] Date A Live: Ars Install # <ADV> (Compile Heart) (¥7.344)
[PS3] Date A Live: Ars Install [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Compile Heart) (¥9.504)
[PS3] Cross Channel: For All People # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PS3] Cross Channel: For All People [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.504)
[PS3] F1 2013: Complete Edition <RCE> (Codemasters) (¥4.104)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) (¥5.389)
[PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Super Price Series) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥5.184)
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥3.229)
[PS3] To Heart 2 DX Plus (AquaPrice 2800) <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥3.024)
[PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Best Price! Reprint) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.160)

[360] Watch Dogs <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥7.992)
[360] F1 2013: Complete Edition <RCE> (Codemasters) (¥4.104)
[360] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) (¥5.389)

LTD sales targets

[PSV] Freedom Wars - 200k
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II - 50K
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II [Premium TV Sound Edition] - 70K
[WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II - 10K
[WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II [Premium TV Sound Edition] - 5K

Takao

Banned

Why even bother with that port?

Eolz

[WIU]

Namco is one of the only publishers left supporting the WiiU. They have a good relationship with Nintendo (help them develop things, partnerships, etc) , maybe they want to continue with cheap ports, just in case.

Mpl90

Ehy, those Wii U targets are reasonable.
Wii U making software houses more reasonable confirmed.

Seriously, Wii U SKU of Kamen Rider could reach that result...I suppose (you know a platform is in a frightening state when you're not even sure a game on it, with a good brand attached, can reach 15k as LTD :lol ).

Sandfox

I'm guessing its a demographic thing. I've learned not to expect much sales from KR games(and for the assets in this game to be used for the next six or so years).

Foshy

200k for Freedom Wars seems reasonable. I think it can beat that over time.

Also, why the fuck is Watch Dogs PS4 so expensive?

ksamedi

The "development cost" thing isn't my main point, it's more about market saturation, that was just a smaller point.

Anyway, I don't have time to look it up currently, but I saw some reports that the average development cost increased and I think the more money the companies earn,
the more they're going to spend on R&D (because they can & naturally they're going to do so), etc.

But I'd need to look up some data to see if this is a realistic point of view.

I think there are possibilities for Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft to create new growth in their markets. Although I don't think it will come from a traditional type of handheld or business model. They have to change drastically next generation, and move toward a more flexible business model and also create unique genres not possible on other platforms. Its not that easy, but Nintendo could probably figure it out. Given the comments of Iwata I think they are thinking hard at the next logical step in this environment.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
We're looking at something that's probably in the range of somewhat-to-a-lot powerful than the Vita

Don't you think a lot more powerful than Vita is pushing it a lot? Vita's power isn't even being utilised properly and a better battery life and a lower price point will probably be way more beneficial to the next Nintendo handheld than a big chunk of extra power on top of Vita's power. The only way I could imagine that is if they managed to use (and shrink, of course) the base tech for Wii U, because then they could recycle engines and even some games easily.

ZeroXZee

I was thinking "Wow, PS3 has lots of new games this week". But then...

new releases {2014.06.26}
[PS3] F1 2013: Complete Edition <RCE> (Codemasters) (¥4.104)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) (¥5.389)
[PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (Super Price Series) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥5.184)
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥3.229)
[PS3] To Heart 2 DX Plus (AquaPrice 2800) <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥3.024)
[PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Best Price! Reprint) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.160)

Why so many re-releases at once?

z0m3le

Banned
Don't you think a lot more powerful than Vita is pushing it a lot? Vita's power isn't even being utilised properly and a better battery life and a lower price point will probably be way more beneficial to the next Nintendo handheld than a big chunk of extra power on top of Vita's power. The only way I could imagine that is if they managed to use (and shrink, of course) the base tech for Wii U, because then they could recycle engines and even some games easily.

I am in total agreement with this, however I think they will shrink down Wii U entirely as the next handheld. Call it DSU or whatever, even if they delay the "handheld" launch until 2017, it would make perfect sense to do this for them. Create a Wii U successor that also is built out of the Wii U's underline architecture. Though I believe both will see GCN2 implementation for the GPU since it is more power efficient.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
By next Fall even something like an upper range snapdragon with better battery life than the 3DS would run circles around the Vita and cost $30-$40 tops.

Hell even the $20 parts would kick the Vita around.

Mobile parts are not expensive these days.

z0m3le

Banned
By next Fall even something like an upper range snapdragon with better battery life than the 3DS would run circles around the Vita and cost $30-$40 tops.

Hell even the $20 parts would kick the Vita around.

Mobile parts are not expensive these days.

AMD's 28nm Mullins (2.8watt) is cheaper than Intel's $33 bay trail, and even performs similar to Wii U, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo push Wii U down to a handheld in 2016/2017 and makes good sense with how much they are pushing that platform forward.

We will have a better idea next E3 if they don't announce a new handheld or if it's compatible with Wii U games

Mpl90

Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparisons, as of June 23rd, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 99pt + 97pt = 196pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 446pt + 342pt = 788pt

[PSV] Freedom Wars - 157pt

[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 100pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride Wars - 153pt + 63pt = 216pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride Wars 2 - 87pt + 30pt = 117pt

[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb - 39pt
[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken - 39pt

[PS4] Watch Dogs - 35pt
[PS3] Watch Dogs - 15pt

Mpl90

An update for specific mobile titles

Final Fantasy: Agito

iOS

It seems the game is still having some peaks, but these don't last long, and then it goes way down the top 100.

Android

Much more stable, basically at the bottom of top 100.

Rise of Mana

Rise of Mana has been downloaded 1,000,000 times as of April 24th, IIRC, so it should have a good base for getting a decent grossing...But the game started going down during its second week on the market, and on March 26th it went under top 100 for the first time. Since then, some peaks, but mostly between 100-200 and 200-300, with even a low under the 300th placement. It's not a FF, so it's not as disappointing as that, but it's also a seemingly high-budget mobile traditional effort. It's coming out soon for Android. At least, it could be useful to follow just to comprehend the amount of downloads that a specific very short-term trend represents.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd for iOS

It's only out on iOS, and it's a paid app, so graphs for both download and grossing

Download

Download-wise, the game is doing pretty well. 1st for 17 days, then it started going down. But it's still in top 20

Grossing

It did well enough in the first two weeks, then it started slowly going down, and on May 25th its fall accelerated. Now, it's outside of the top 100, between mid 100-200 and low 100-200.

stilgar

An update for specific mobile titles

It did well enough in the first two weeks, then it started slowly going down, and on May 25th its fall accelerated. Now, it's outside of the top 100, between mid 100-200 and low 100-200.

Very interesting datas; and looking at these, I'm no expert but it seems to me that games on mobile have a way longer lifetime than other apps on the market.
"Serious" apps have a quick peak (when they're successful), and then plummet in a heartbeat, a few days top. Here, it is impressively steady.

Spiegel

First S-E says that the will be supporting Vita in the future and now at the shareholders meeting S-E says that there's a possibility when asked about DQ releasing on Sony consoles and also Vita in particular.

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/mmpinpoint/diary/201406250000/

jimcarreychance.gif

Maybe Vita will be getting the DQ8 mobile port and DQXI will be multiplatform (Nintendo/Sony home consoles)?

EDIT

That is inaccurate. The question in Japanese was actually "is there a possibility of releasing software (other than DQ) on the PSVita?"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita is the only portable that could handle something like DQX or ports of their higher end mobile titles - so its not unrealistic especially after making that FFX HD money with the port. Playing favorites for a massive MMO was never going to be the endgame, they need to have DQX on as many platform as possible.

I would also rather play DQ8 on my Vita than on my phone in portrait mode.

Shizuka

First S-E says that the will be supporting Vita in the future and now at the shareholders meeting S-E says that there's a possibility when asked about DQ releasing on Sony consoles and also Vita in particular.

jimcarreychance.gif

Maybe Vita will be getting the DQ8 mobile port and DQXI will be multiplatform (Nintendo/Sony home consoles)?

Can someone translate that link? Interesting to know that their stance is about to change.

RalchAC

jimcarreychance.gif

They may want to try to appeal the Western market again, it seems.

DQX PS Family is going to happen sooner or later, I'm still not sure about remakes and new games.

If there is a DQ game coming to the Vita, it'd probably be this one. The Vita would be perfectly capable of running the game and after FFX HD results in Japan (which were fairly good) I think there is a fairly good chance we'll see them releasing it. They'll probably go for PS3 and PS4 too while they're at it.

I would also rather play DQ8 on my Vita than on my phone in portrait mode.

That could happen and it'd be interesting to see it. Wonder how it'd sell. Would it be hard adapt the current weird portrait mode to widescreen?

Did Square ported DQ7 Remake to iOS too? IIRC the put the 1-8 in smart devices.

Spiegel

Can someone translate that link? Interesting to know that their stance is about to change.

It's basically nothing.

One question asking if Sony consoles are included in future plans for the DQ franchise

Answer: There is a possibility

The other question asking if in there's a possibility of DQ games for Vita.

Answer: There is a possibility

EDIT

That is inaccurate. The question in Japanese was actually "is there a possibility of releasing software (other than DQ) on the PSVita?"

Top Bottom