• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2015 (Jun 08 - Jun 14)

Shizuka

And his butt

tumblr_nesu973yQ21qiodg3o4_250.png

Damn you.

I'm impressed the the XBONE sold exactly 100 consoles. I'm not making fun or trolling, it's just impressive it sold exactly 100 units.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 25 2015

01./01. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./00. [3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous)
03./00. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition <ACT> (Capcom)

04./03. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./02. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
06./05. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
07./06. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
08./04. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Evolution # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
09./09. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment)
10./07. [3DS] Stella Glow <RPG> (Sega)
11./11. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega)
12./08. [PSV] Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus: Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
13./13. [3DS] Assassination Classroom: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./12. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
15./10. [PS4] Alien: Isolation <ADV> (Sega)
16./17. [PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami)
17./41. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U <FTG> (Nintendo)
18./16. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix)
19./14. [PS3] Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho <ADV> (D3 Publisher)
20./24. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo)

random25

Very good indication for Splatoon. Pretty nice numbers from Comgnet too with 64pt last week. Should be more or less a 40k week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the amount of "Japanese PS4 development" threads recently got me thinking, and with one exception, I'm not sure there's actually that many major Japanese publishers that seem to mind the idea of the PS4 failing.

They're showing up on the platform, but it's with a pretty reserved effort - often of Western focused games - and it's largely stuff that if the PS4 failed, the companies would be fine.

Few seem to be making the kind of push that suggests they really want to turn the system around.

Toward that end, here's the upcoming games that each are making. Feel free to point out anything notable I'm missing. I listed them by publisher in Japan and only things that have been presented as actual games as opposed to stuff like "Mystery Level 5 Title". Finally, I've excluded Western developed games by Japanese publishers since those generally don't sell locally (though I realize this is changing).

Sony:
-The Last Guardian
-The Tomorrow Children (downloadable)

Bandai Namco:
-Tekken 7
-Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
-Tales of Berseria (also on PS3, and there's a late port of Zestiria)
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (also on PS3)
-Godzilla (also on PS3)
-Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul (also on PS3)
-Summer Lesson (VR Thingy)

Sega:
-Persona 5 (also on PS3)

From Software:
-Dark Souls 3

Capcom:
-Street Fighter V
-Deep Down (f2p)
-Dragon's Dogma Online (also on PS3, f2p)
-Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster (also on PS3)

Konami:
-Metal Gear Solid V (also on PS3)
-Pro Evolution Soccer (also on PS3)

Koei Tecmo:
-Yoru no Nai Kuni (also on PS3/Vita)
-Cross-gen Musou Games
-I think there were some cross-gen Romance of the Three Kingdoms games

Square Enix:
-Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Nier 2
-World of Final Fantasy (also on Vita)
-Star Ocean V (also on PS3)
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (also on PS3/Vita)
-Final Fantasy XIV Expansions (also on PS3)

Maybe things will look notably different at the end of September, but for now this is pretty sparse.

saichi

That's real nice for Rhythm Heaven. Seems that Fire Emblem is poised to do well. That's great, and Nirolak's explanation as to why this sequel is pulling the numbers makes sense.

As for Nintendo franchise rankings, I made this by myself sometime ago. Criteria involves an incredibly complex formula involving sales, popularity, critical reception, gamer cred, mass awareness, recentness, visibility in Smash Bros, and my own buttocks.

S: Mario, Pokemon
A: Zelda, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong
B: Kirby, Metroid, Yoshi, Wario, Wii, Fire Emblem, Nintendogs, Tomodachi, Splatoon
C: Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, Touch Generations, Punch Out, Pikmin, Nintendo Land, Style Savvy
D: F-Zero, Mother, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Game & Watch, Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Chibi-Robo, Steel Diver, Box Boy, The Wonderful 101, Codename Steam, Art Academy, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Fatal Frame, Fossil Fighters
E: Ice Climber, Excitebike, Starfy, Sin & Punishment, Duck Hunt, Custom Robo
F: Gyromite, Urban Champion, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Sheriff, Devil World, Panel de Pon

Obviously this list is mutable, and I'm sure there are several franchises I've forgotten or can be changed. But this is probably a reasonable list of where most of them stand.

I really think Rhythm Heaven should be on a different tier than Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Pikmin and Style Savvy.

Also, not sure Codename Steam could be higher tier than anything. It's more likely we will get another game for Excitbike, Sin & Punishment (PLEASE!) or Custom Robo than another game for Codename Steam.

Vena

ßig;169396196 said:
Is it the same size?

Seems like it. Only thing that's changed is the power draw, and, likely, cheaper components to bring down their build costs to increase the ROI on sales.

BriBri

Does anybody have sales figure(s) for Tribe Cool Crew? The game has ONE player post on Miiverse and ZERO ratings on the eShop (Codename STEAM even has 56)...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet retail store chain: preorders Gigatons / Muppets, as of June 22nd, 2015.

[3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke - 403pt + 312pt = 715pt
[3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi - 1270pt
[3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters - 299pt + 175pt = 475pt

[3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening - 159pt*
[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates - 130pt + 92pt + 40pt = 262pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 192pt*
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena - 169pt*
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 176pt
[PS3] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 82pt + 43pt = 125pt
[PSV] Persona 4 Dancing All Night - 68pt + 27pt = 95pt

[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: Heavensward - 31pt + 18pt = 49pt

[3DS] Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - 74pt*
[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney - 23pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2011/2012/2013
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010/2011

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual sales and pts has grown overall in the past year / years, and older gigatons points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago

Takao

Banned
Does anybody have sales figure(s) for Tribe Cool Crew? The game has ONE player post on Miiverse and ZERO ratings on the eShop (Codename STEAM even has 56)...

It didn't chart in the Dengeki Top 50 in its week of release, so no one has exact sales figures. The last game on that list pushed 1,011 units.

FluxWaveZ

Ouch, Great Ace Attorney gonna bomb big time. No wonder Capcom isn't localizing it.

I can't fathom an Ace Attorney game performing really poorly in Japan nowadays unless something went real wrong&#8212;especially not one that looks to be as good as DGS&#8212;so a "bomb" would be very surprising to me. I don't see why that would occur other than the possibility that Japanese fans really aren't into the game's historical period or the fact that it's a whole new cast to get accustomed to.

ivysaur12

Banned
Tsutaya's Ranking Week 25 2015

01./01. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./00. [3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous)
03./00. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition <ACT> (Capcom)

04./03. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./02. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
06./05. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
07./06. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
08./04. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Evolution # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
09./09. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment)
10./07. [3DS] Stella Glow <RPG> (Sega)
11./11. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega)
12./08. [PSV] Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus: Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
13./13. [3DS] Assassination Classroom: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./12. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
15./10. [PS4] Alien: Isolation <ADV> (Sega)
16./17. [PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami)
17./41. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U <FTG> (Nintendo)
18./16. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix)
19./14. [PS3] Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho <ADV> (D3 Publisher)
20./24. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo)

Jesus christ Splatoon.

sense

So the amount of "Japanese PS4 development" threads recently got me thinking, and with one exception, I'm not sure there's actually that many major Japanese publishers that seem to mind the idea of the PS4 failing.

They're showing up on the platform, but it's with a pretty reserved effort - often of Western focused games - and it's largely stuff that if the PS4 failed, the companies would be fine.

Few seem to be making the kind of push that suggests they really want to turn the system around.

Toward that end, here's the upcoming games that each are making. Feel free to point out anything notable I'm missing. I listed them by publisher in Japan and only things that have been presented as actual games as opposed to stuff like "Mystery Level 5 Title". Finally, I've excluded Western developed games by Japanese publishers since those generally don't sell locally (though I realize this is changing).

Sony:
-The Last Guardian
-The Tomorrow Children (downloadable)

Bandai Namco:
-Tekken 7
-Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
-Tales of Berseria (also on PS3, and there's a late port of Zestiria)
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (also on PS3)
-Godzilla (also on PS3)
-Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul (also on PS3)
-Summer Lesson (VR Thingy)

Sega:
-Persona 5 (also on PS3)

From Software:
-Dark Souls 3

Capcom:
-Street Fighter V
-Deep Down (f2p)
-Dragon's Dogma Online (also on PS3, f2p)
-Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster (also on PS3)

Konami:
-Metal Gear Solid V (also on PS3)
-Pro Evolution Soccer (also on PS3)

Koei Tecmo:
-Yoru no Nai Kuni (also on PS3/Vita)
-Cross-gen Musou Games
-I think there were some cross-gen Romance of the Three Kingdoms games

Square Enix:
-Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Nier 2
-World of Final Fantasy (also on Vita)
-Star Ocean V (also on PS3)
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (also on PS3/Vita)
-Final Fantasy XIV Expansions (also on PS3)

Maybe things will look notably different at the end of September, but for now this is pretty sparse.
hot shots and sword art online and remember seeing a gundam and Edf for ps4 logos at tgs or something.

The real question is if the support shown so far has surprised people. I am pretty sure last year there were people laughing at the ps4 support and saying it was just ffxv and mgs which was also on PS3 or something along those lines and that everything is about MOBILE!!! What we have seen so far leads me to believe that console games are still a priority alongside mobile, well maybe not konami:)

At the end of the day publisher support is looking very good for the future. Well yes 2016 and most likely 2017 is when support is going to kick into high gear but they are coming . I don't see how we won't get a new hatsune miku game now they have demoed for vr, a new resident evil, monster hunter frontier (Sorta confirmed) more dq, level 5 game etc... Doesn't matter if they are confirmed yet the chances are very high for a lot games not made my konami and to a certain extent sega to come to ps4 . Japan is just late to the party!!!!

Mpl90

Well, I'd say it wouldn't be right to consider The Great Ace Attorney on the same level as a main chapter. It's a spinoff, I don't see why it would be tragic if it does less than AA5. Of course, it would be bad if it sells badly not just by spinoff standards. Hopefully, it goes up in the next days, it's still more than two weeks before the release.

Mpl90

NX is definitely launching with Spa2oon.

Nope, I can reveal the official NX's launch lineup

NintendoWorld (sequel to Land)
The Legend of Zelda
Pokémon X2/Y2
Super Smash Bros. for NX ("turbo" edition of 3DS/Wii U game)
Kid Icarus Uprising II (joint development with Platinum Games)

There, I said it. I've just enlightened you. Now go, my pupils, and spread the word. The world must know.

/dreamsandmadness

Wiggy

Everybody's Golf is always forgotten...

And i like that incomplete line up anyway, most excited ive been for Japanese games in years. And there's a lot more to come at TGS, brace yourself for JRPGs, please be excited etc.

Mpl90

At TGS, I'm expecting both Minna no Golf and Gravity Rush 2 + Remastered to show up. it seems like the perfect place where to show both of them.

hiska-kun

I can't fathom an Ace Attorney game performing really poorly in Japan nowadays unless something went real wrong—especially not one that looks to be as good as DGS—so a "bomb" would be very surprising to me. I don't see why that would occur other than the possibility that Japanese fans really aren't into the game's historical period or the fact that it's a whole new cast to get accustomed to.

Probably COMG is just COMG again.

Still remember that Rhythm Heaven was going to bomb according to COMG.

Arzehn

At TGS, I'm expecting both Minna no Golf and Gravity Rush 2 + Remastered to show up. it seems like the perfect place where to show both of them.

Totally forgot about Minna no Golf. Did they ever specify a release window? I wonder if this year is possible.

They didn't look very far along last TGS though...

Totally forgot about Minna no Golf. Did they ever specify a release window? I wonder if this year is possible.

They didn't look very far along last TGS though...

I have to wonder what Clap Hanz have been doing since World Invitational. That was at the end of 2011, then they ported it to PS3 at the end of 2012.

S'been nearly 3 years without a release, which seems odd for them.

Then again, Gravity Rush 2 is taking just as long.

Rymuth

Bandai-Namco

Gundam Battle Operation (f2p PS4/PS3)

Nippon Ichi
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival

Capcom
Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi (PS4/PS3)

are the only ones I think you've missed. There are also some smaller releases like Cross;Child and Gal Gun but I skipped them since you wanted notable publishers.

Oregano

I can't fathom an Ace Attorney game performing really poorly in Japan nowadays unless something went real wrong—especially not one that looks to be as good as DGS—so a "bomb" would be very surprising to me. I don't see why that would occur other than the possibility that Japanese fans really aren't into the game's historical period or the fact that it's a whole new cast to get accustomed to.

I imagine some people are waiting for the mobile port.

&#332;kami;169431688 said:
Its interesting also whatever happened to Revelations 2 Vita and Square's new SaGa game.

Wasn't Revelations 2 at E3? SaGa 2015 is now SaGa 2016 I guess.

@Nirolak: Publishers may not be publishing everything as a PS4 exclusive but it's receiving more games than any other platform. If you compared what those publishers have lined up for everything else it becomes readily apparent. Capcom is perhaps the only one you could argue isn't PS4 focused but that is because they're MonHun focused.

I don't know why someone would take Niro's list as a positive when that's pretty much everything including the kitchen sink and outside of some licensed stuff it's almost all from one publisher.

That is your Japanese console industry summarised in one post.

SEGA and Konami basically don't give a crap, Capcom is too incompetent to do anything anyway, Bamco is diversifying relatively successfully from memory into mobile.

Prelude.

&#332;kami;169431688 said:
Its interesting also whatever happened to Revelations 2 Vita and Square's new SaGa game.
Capcom put up this trailer a week ago and it's coming out this summer.
SaGa has been announced (or teased rather) too early, probably. Unless they formally announce it before TGS I can't see it not being a 2016 title.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't know why someone would take Niro's list as a positive when that's pretty much everything including the kitchen sink and outside of some licensed stuff it's almost all from one publisher.

SEGA and Konami basically don't give a crap, Capcom is too incompetent to do anything anyway, Bamco is diversifying relatively successfully from memory into mobile.

Was wondering the same thing myself. It's pretty much Square Enix at this point making stuff for PS4 in terms of Japanese devs.

On a slightly separate note, why hasn't Square Enix released Dragon Quest X anywhere outside of Japan even on PC? Seems like that would be a fairly low risk way of releasing it to the West or even other Asian countries.

Vena

Was wondering the same thing myself. It's pretty much Square Enix at this point making stuff for PS4 in terms of Japanese devs.

On a slightly separate note, why hasn't Square Enix released Dragon Quest X anywhere outside of Japan even on PC? Seems like that would be a fairly low risk way of releasing it to the West or even other Asian countries.

Same reason they haven't localized any of the 3DS DQ games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yes, it was supposed to be negative.

A lot of the bigger stuff also isn't coming for 18+ months and things like MGS5 have shaky ground for follow-ups.

I can see why the list would appeal to GAF posters, a lot of these games were popular in the West which is why they still exist, but the list is barren and shows support pretty much in tune with how the PS4 is doing domestically versus how it's doing worldwide.

Vena

Yes, it was supposed to be negative.

A lot of the bigger stuff also isn't coming for 18+ months and things like MGS5 have shaky ground for follow-ups.

I can see why the list would appeal to GAF posters, a lot of these games were popular in the West which is why they still exist, but the list is barren and shows support pretty much in tune with how the PS4 is doing domestically versus how it's doing worldwide.

This was why I suggested adding (tentative) dates, it really nails the point home. At a tertiary glance the list looks "full" but when you realize its actually the release schedule for several YEARS, things turn bleak fast.

duckroll

Bandai-Namco

Gundam Battle Operation (f2p PS4/PS3)

Nippon Ichi
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival

Capcom
Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi (PS4/PS3)

are the only ones I think you've missed. There are also some smaller releases like Cross;Child and Gal Gun but I skipped them since you wanted notable publishers.

Nippon Ichi isn't a notable publisher lol.

This was why I suggested adding (tentative) dates, it really nails the point home. At a tertiary glance the list looks "full" but when you realize its actually the release schedule for several YEARS, things turn bleak fast.

You expect nothing else to be announced while devs work on those games or something? Most of that stuff seems to be 2016 anyway. Just counting JRPGs there are at least 4 for the second half of 2015.

People can be all scrutinous with the list of upcoming games and come to the "Yep, it's wood"-conclusion that Japanese console development is still fucked, sure. But looking at how last gen turned out for Japanese stuff and looking at what is coming now, I have a hard time not being somewhat enthusiastic.

L~A

Well, I'd say it wouldn't be right to consider The Great Ace Attorney on the same level as a main chapter. It's a spinoff, I don't see why it would be tragic if it does less than AA5. Of course, it would be bad if it sells badly not just by spinoff standards. Hopefully, it goes up in the next days, it's still more than two weeks before the release.

It's not just any spin-off. In the interview following the game's reveal, Takumi made it clear it DGS was meant to be the first title in a new series. The game seems to have a really "big" budget too (really nice visuals, voice acting, animated cutscenes, motion capture). Spin-off or not, this is certainly not a low-budget or half-assed effort... not that Investigations was, but it's clear they're putting way more effort into this one.

Unlike Squeenix with Bravely Second, for example.

Probably COMG is just COMG again.

Still remember that Rhythm Heaven was going to bomb according to COMG.

Yeah, I don't think it will outright bomb. Even if some fans are hesistant (I don't see why they would be?), pretty sure that word of mouth will compensate quickly.

I suspect the path forward is that the Japanese market will have one niche Nintendo console/hybrid and one Sony platform primarily for Western games. The latter is a model that has enough appeal to justify localization, and the latter, as opposed to development, is cheap enough to keep it competitive.

The huge question going forward is whether the NX or whatever Nintendo's next handheld is called manages to break through in the West. In a declining market, which the portable sector is, transitions are extremely dangerous. They call on customers to make the largest single investments with the smallest possible return in terms of software library, and to a large extent the biggest launches in the past(PS2) have run off of the products becoming prestige symbols. I can't see a handheld managing that. The Vita shows what can happen if you botch the transition. You lose 90% of your market.

Top Bottom