• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

Deku89

Nothing is certain, but all the elements of a long tail are present- multiplayer game with high replay value, new IP so room for growth, and on a young system with a small install base that is only going to dramatically increase.
True, but Splatoon 2 also comes out next month. That will probably take the focus off it quite a bit.

I bet digital was fantastic for the game as it took the number 1 spot and anecdotal but the digital version was really high in Amazon JP rankings.

Just 9k more and Arms would have had a better opening week than Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V combined.

What's funny is that going by the 10% attachment rate of ARMS, only 90k more Switches would have need to have been sold to date to achieve this, which would have happened if it weren't for supply problems.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
True, but Splatoon 2 also comes out next month. That will probably take the focus off it quite a bit.

Valid point, but that launch is also presumably going to bring in an influx of Switch owners. We'll see.

zeromcd73

Actually I fucked up.

ARMS only needed to sell 74 more units to beat the combined opening for SFV and TK7's first week. Accidentally mixed MC numbers with some famitsu numbers back there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Arms debut, actually, is pretty rad.

Still, I wouldn't compare it with Splatoon's debut (around 144k), since that was extremely supply-limited.

I bet digital was fantastic for the game as it took the number 1 spot and anecdotal but the digital version was really high in Amazon JP rankings.
As expected. Many people, including me, bought the digital version on Amazon JP.
It's 13€ cheaper than buying it digitally in Europe and was out 12h earlier.

noshten

I'm really happy for Nier, but isn't this pretty untypical in Japan? We rarely see J-RPGs stay in the TOP 10, what's the secret with Nier?

Nier's performance has been extraordinary considering the first one was in no shape or form as popular. Perhaps the narrative and replay options coupled with 2B was enough to make Nier the most popular Platinum game in ages, really happy for them to have such a hit on their hands - showing legs in the US and Japan for nearly 6 months now.

Tonton

Great result for Arms, really wasn't expecting 100k

Great to see Ys VIII holding well, I think 2 or 3 weeks and it should double it's Media Create FW already

There was a titanic debate in the Arms sales debut thread about whether Arms debuting at #2 in the UK meant it was dead.

lol I'm glad I wasn't in there. UK sales aren't really large even if you finish #1 at times.

Actually I fucked up, ARMS only needed to sell 74 more units to beAT the combined opening for SFV and TK7's first week. Accidentally mixed MC numbers with some famitsu numbers back there.

😮

casiopao

100k. Wuuu. While i hoped for bigger number, considering how pathetic Switch situation, this is probably the best they can muster. The legs is going to be deciding whether ARMS is a success or a failure.

The fact that it beat both Tekken and SFV FW is probably the only consolidation victory ARMS had right now lol.

ARMS was higher than I thought and Switch was lower. Let's see if it has legs.

Same here. Very impressive for Arms to debut over 100k, but I was expecting 40-50k for Switch.

Great to see MK8D and BotW getting a boost from this though (the latter officially hitting 500k!). I wonder how much they'll gain from the week of Splatoon 2.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Great opening for ARMS, especially for a new fighting game IP.

So will the new stock cap for Switch be 40k till Splatoon?

Well in terms of games in the 6 digits for Switch we have
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 500k+
Breath of the Wild 500k+
1 2 Switch 200k+
Bomberman R 100k+
ARMS 100k+
SnipperClips 100k+
So if you look at it Switch software has been doing very well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well in terms of games in the 6 digits for Switch we have
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 500k+
Breath of the Wild 500k+
1 2 Switch 200k+
Bomberman R 100k+
ARMS 100k+
So if you look at it Switch software has been doing very well.

snipperclips is above 100K with digital sales

100k. Wuuu. While i hoped for bigger number, considering how pathetic Switch situation, this is probably the best they can muster. The legs is going to be deciding whether ARMS is a success or a failure.

The fact that it beat both Tekken and SFV FW is probably the only consolidation victory ARMS had right now lol.
ARMS is already a success taking into account the situation of the Fighting genre in Japan. But if ARMS has LEGS is going to be insane.

deleted

zvet020s51.gif

Finally some more stock on the Switch. Arms didn't do too bad either. Pleasantly surprising tbh.

3DS is falling behind yoy pretty steadily though. Is there a somewhat big release till DQ11 next month?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ARMS is already a success taking into account the situation of the Fighting genre in Japan. But if ARMS has LEGS is going to be insane.
Nintendo has higher expectations though - especially considering their free post launch content plans. Its nice to see that its outselling established Fighting series like Tekken from the starts...but thats not really the benchmark for first party efforts from that team - even if its a new IP.

Christhor

I'm really happy for Nier, but isn't this pretty untypical in Japan? We rarely see J-RPGs stay in the TOP 10, what's the secret with Nier?

Nier is relatively unknown, so it's still spreading through word of mouth in Japan. Most Japanese gamers seem to buy games they're interested in day 1, which is easier when it's a new entry in a series you already know and love. I doubt another Nier would ever have nearly as good legs, even if it ends up selling as much overall.

Branduil

It being a Nintendo game + the long free DLC strategy means ARMS could have pretty good legs as well. Hopefully they can keep the characters, stages, and maybe even new modes(like a story mode) coming.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
When was the last fighting game opening at 100k+?
SFIV on 3DS? Pokken was below I think.

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition opened at more than 40,000 (MC)

07. / 00. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 44.649 / NEW

Both Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6 had 100k+ openings, though, between PS3 and 360 (MC)

02. [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 86,000 / NEW
05. [360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 38,000 / NEW

03./00. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - 103,105 / NEW
11./00. [360] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - > 26,559

Top Bottom