• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

Chauzu

I still can't believe we're saying it's too late for third parties when we're just IN THE THIRD MONTH since the console's release. It would be much more understandable if the platform had a problematic start, sales-wise, but Switch's first months do not fit into this cathegory (well, unless you want to say that the shortages situation is problematic; but still, a different problem :p). I just can't comprehend this kind of fanxiety so early in the lifespan of a successful platform.

Yeah I don't think it's too late for anything, but Switch' strong momentum won't stop just because 3rd parties are late to jump aboard. For once Nintendo is nailing their 1st party support.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm really worried about how much a port that late on Switch would perform in japan.. I mean this is DQ we're talking about. We know how is the audience for that game in Japan, this is hardcore fanatism and first day record sales. You think any DQ fan will not buy it on PS4 or 3DS ? So 1 year or 6 months later, who would buy it on Switch ? People willing to buy a game twice in 1 year, and people not fan enough of DQ to buy the new game when it comes out ?

MoonFrog

Well at least being curious about Switch version doesn't feed into concern over DQXI doing well. 3DS/PS4 can carry it and if they can't, Switch wouldn't have pulled too much more weight at launch.

Turrican3

these supposed-to-be Switch games could also arrive too late
I understand it might be easy to compare the Switch to the Wii.

But I believe we have to take into account two important factors: time and efforts.

Time. For example it took more than two years for EA to acknowledge the Wii was here to stay. And yes, of course it was too late.
Since the Switch is just a couple of months old, and has even yet to go through its first holiday season, I believe it's fair to wait a bit more.

Efforts. We all know Switch has some major middleware/engine support that the Wii could only dream of. Again, even a decent third party like Capcom only adapted its MT Framework extremely late in the console lifecycle (Sengoku Basara 3, a 2010 game). Switch IIRC had Unity and UE4 support basically on day zero. Huge difference IMHO.

Of course we still have a significant power gap compared to PS4/XB1, but many people on this very board have hinted it is smaller than the one we had back then, and moreover it's not necessarily an issue if (and that's still a big if btw) exclusive content is going to be made anyway, also thanks to the aforementioned modern development tools.

tl,dr: we'll see, don't panic just yet :p

Interesting stat for a PC only game, the megahit Playerunknown's Battlegrounds sold 172.000 units in Japan (4 million worldwide). According to SteamSpy, there are more owners of the game in Japan than in France.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Too late for what?

I swear some of y'all can't relax for a moment.

Too late to guarantee a continous, costant support (from first, secodno and third parties) in order to keep the console a healthy place for the software

nobody remember what happend to the Wii? due to the initial skepticism about the console, the initial lack of significant third party support, the usual drought of nintendo output once finisched the initial push (also due to the GC projects moved to the Wii...this reminds me about something!) the cosole was hit very hard by the very late incoming of important third party games, so once they start to arrive, they faced critical issues in selling well enough to guarantee furhter support later on in the life cycle

I understand it might be easy to compare the Switch to the Wii.

But I believe we have to take into account two important factors: time and efforts.

Time. For example it took more than two years for EA to acknowledge the Wii was here to stay. And yes, of course it was too late.
Since the Switch is just a couple of months old, and has even yet to go through its first holiday season, I believe it's fair to wait a bit more.

Efforts. We all know Switch has some major middleware/engine support that the Wii could only dream of. Again, even a decent third party like Capcom only adapted its MT Framework extremely late in the console lifecycle (Sengoku Basara 3, a 2010 game). Switch IIRC had Unity and UE4 support basically on day zero. Huge difference IMHO.

Of course we still have a significant power gap compared to PS4/XB1, but many people on this very board have hinted it is smaller than the one we had back then, and moreover it's not necessarily an issue if (and that's still a big if btw) exclusive content is going to be made anyway, also thanks to the aforementioned modern development tools.

tl,dr: we'll see, don't panic just yet :p

Hey!
An actual response that tried to read my posts...THANK YOU!
We can agree or disagree, but I respect the effort you did to read what I have to say without pointing fingers or ask me to stop posting, as other users just did.
And it seems that you got what I was trying to say, even mentioning the Wii before me.

I agree: we'll see, I'm just anticipating what I think could be actual issues in the incoming future of the console

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah I don't think it's too late for anything, but Switch' strong momentum won't stop just because 3rd parties are late to jump aboard. For once Nintendo is nailing their 1st party support.

No worries, I know it wasn't your intention :p

Too late to guarantee a continous, costant support (from first, secodno and third parties) in order to keep the console a healthy place for the software

nobody remember what happend to the Wii? due to the initial skepticism about the console, the initial lack of significant third party support, the usual drought of nintendo output once finisched the initial push (also due to the GC projects moved to the Wii...this reminds me about something!) the cosole was hit very hard by the very late incoming of important third party games, so once they start to arrive, they faced critical issues in selling well enough to guarantee furhter support later on in the life cycle

Hey!
We can agree or disagree, but I respect the effort you did to read what I have to say without pointing fingers or ask me to stop posting, as other users just did.
And it seems that you got what I was trying to say, even mentioning the Wii before me.

I agree: we'll see, I'm just anticipating what I think could be actual issues in the incoming future of the console

Actually, back in the other thread I already addressed what happened with the Wii, since I wanted to make a comparison with the Switch in order to outline the several areas where I believe there are major differencies between the two situations. I've yet to post the follow-up, but I hope to do so later today. In the meanwhile, re-posting what I said about the Wii several days ago

Since in the past few pages I've seen several posts with comparisons involving the Wii, I think it's a much less black/white situation than what it's being portrayed here. I think I've already stated my opinion on the matter a few threads ago, but I suppose I could try to make my point clear enough again.

Hardware sales

The Wii in Japan wasn't the major success it represented in the rest of the world. Oh sure, for several months it just couldn't stay on shelves for too long, and it was doing extremely high weekly numbers (around 60,000/70,000 units), with games like Wii Sport and Wii Play being long-lasting huge sellers. But it didn't last nearly as long as in Europe/US, with sales in late August/September already showing signs of weakness, also due to an important lack of notable games between Mario Party 8 (July 26th, 2007) and Super Mario Galaxy (November 1st, 2007), and the latter had problems in selling out of the gate (later advertising initiatives solved this, though).

Wii Fit in late 2007, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii in the first half of 2008 brought excitement around the platform again for a while, but starting by September sales slowed down again and the Holidays uptick was not as good as in 2007, due to less impactful releases.

And since the lack of relevant releases continued for a while, hardware sales decreased even further, with sales almost costantly under 20,000 units starting from the end of February. Wii Sport Resort and later on Monster Hunter 3 helped (the former with a more diluted, longer-lasting impact; the latter with a major single uptick), but again, not enough to stop the console from going under 20,000 again around September. NSMBWii was a major seller, and that contributed to an incredibly healthy Holiday in 2009.

2010 saw sales improving compared to 2009's first few months (thanks to NSMBW's lasting effect), but it couldn't last forever, and 2009's Holiday heights couldn't be reached for obvious reasons. But it was already 2010, and the sales later in 2011 halved, due to internal attentions shifting to 3DS mainly + third èarties focusing more on PS3, PSP and starting to release some games on the 3DS itself.

Basically, the Wii in Japan has never showed the same signs of strength that we've seen in the rest of the world, if not for a much, much, much shorter period, in spite of several major successes on the platform.

Software sales/support

If we're speaking of third party support, we can't say they were completely innocent for what happened with the Wii: unfortunately, it was just in 2009 when several major titles (Monster Hunter 3, Samurai Warriors 3, Tales of Graces + FFCC: The Crystal Bearers) showed up on the system, instead of stuff here and there as it happened earlier in its life. So, there's no doubt that 3rd parties were slow in developing important games for the system - but thinking this was the only problem would be an extreme oversemplification of the entire situation, especially since it would pin responsibilities on just one side. Instead, we just need to look more carefully at software sales as a whole, and we discover that...the Wii was not a software juggernaut as it was in the West, especially if we're talking about more core releases (kind of a similar trend, don't you see)?

Of course it saw several good results early on (Dragon Ball: BT2's late port, Dragon Quest: Sword, RE: The Umbrella Chronicles, and RE4: Wii Edition on a lower scale), but it also showed problems at selling games from less known franchises, and JRPGs as a whole seemed to not be a good fit, sales-wise. Major brands? Early on, it didn't have problems in doing so. More casual-oriented games? The Taiko franchise was a good-to-great seller, depending on the entry, as well as Go Vacation and Fishing Resort, despite their 2011's release. But nicher, more core stuff? Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, Fragile, Tenchu 4, Harvest Moon games, Rune Factory Frontier, etc.etc. It also had problems in selling yearly iterations of sport games: not that Konami isn't completely guilty due to how they handheld the PES franchise on the system, but sales going down so quickly iteration-after-iteration wasn't just due to bad planning. See also the Pawapuro series to see how Wii SKUs kept on selling lower than PS2's despite several efforts (online play, lower price).

Basically, it seems like the early efforts in attracting a more casual, more mass-market oriented audience worked maybe way too well, in such a way that there was a very limited audience for more mid-tier games / franchises, with some exceptions. And then 2009 came, with the Crystal Bearers' disaster and Tales of (dis)Graces - the latter was a major sign of the JRPG audience basically rejecting the system.

The market's context

Also, another factor we need to consider is the market itself at the time. When we think of the Wii in the West, we remember a record-smashing system, with incredible hardware and software sales, at the top of the charts alongside the DS. Or just the top selling system if you consider just the home consoles. In Japan, it was the second best selling system for a while, and then it became the third best selling sytem when MHP2ndG exploded even further than the original. Yes, in Japan you just can't shrug off DS and PSP saying that they're handhelds, thus a different market. Nope, it means constructing an entirely untrue context, because in Japan all the systems were fighting for support, not just the home consoles. And, well, the Wii released when the DS was already a phenomenon, with over 100,000 units sold per week and being an extremely attractive proposition due to DQIX as recent announcement.

PSP was also starting gaining some ground in 2007, even more in 2008. This is why the Wii couldn't get enough third party games, there were two other systems (at first, mainly the DS) that attracted lots of attentions from developers, and for good reasons. Again, of course third parties should've been quicker in releasing relevant Wii games, but it's also true that probably Nintendo didn't do enough to court them, aside from offering to them a system with great early sales - but it wasn't enough when Japan had another system with even bigger sales and another system with good sales and that was starting to gain some third party potential (MHP2nd, Crisis Core). Plus, Western-focused development was on PS3 and 360 initially - heck, the whole batch of 360's exclusives partially delayed things in the greater context (remember all Microsoft's efforts for the Japanese market back then?), and the Wii was both power-wise and architecture-wise a platform that couldn't easily accomodate multiplatform development, unless you had specific teams dedicated to create Wii-specific version of games. Thus, efforts came when it was too late to improve the audience's situation.

Later, I'll discuss why and how I believe the current Switch situation is pretty different. This post is already long enough :p

Turrican3

Hey!
No need to say "thanks", we're on a discussion board, we're supposed to... discuss, I guess?

Tra italiani poi... ;-)

Let me just add the Wii was a *very* peculiar beast IMHO, I think there were multiple complex issues that affected its lifecycle, both ways.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Switch is already on track to have more Japanese developed games in its first year than PS4, and its not even July yet.

Relax.

Relax.

Relax.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
On another topic, I had kind of thought DQXI in December was a possibility- clearly that's not the case- but it does leave an interesting question of what is Nintendo's big November/December game with Odyssey in October. I know there is Xenoblade 2, but I doubt Nintendo considers that too significant. I can see Skyrim getting a big push in the West- but obviously that's not too centered on Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./08. [PSV] Shiro to Kuro no Alice # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2017.06.08} (¥6.300)
22./25. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800)
23./15. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
24./29. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700)
25./23. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <Dark Souls III \ Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel \ Dark Souls III: The Ringed City> <RPG> (From Software) {2017.04.20} (¥5.900)
26./43. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800)
27./22. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2017.05.25} (¥4.800)
28./32. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600)
29./27. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2017.03.09} (¥8.400)
30./24. [NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (¥4.990)
31./45. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts \ Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories> \ Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts II \ Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ \ Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep>> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.09} (¥6.800)
32./28. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980)
33./33. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980)
34./30. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥7.980)
35./00. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
36./40. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn # <RPG> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.03.02} (¥6.900)
37./35. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami) {2017.04.13} (¥3.980)
38./26. [PSV] Shiin <ADV> (Experience) {2017.06.01} (¥4.800)
39./34. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800)
40./00. [PS4] Tales of Berseria [Welcome Price!!] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.06.01} (¥3.800)
41./00. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥6.980)
42./37. [3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.05.11} (¥5.800)
43./36. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2017.04.27} (¥2.800)
44./00. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.200)
45./41. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700)
46./42. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt \ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone \ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine> <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2016.09.01} (¥6.480)
47./50. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain [Spike Chunsoft the Best] <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2017.06.01} (¥2.980)
48./46. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2017.03.03} (¥4.990)
49./48. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below \ Dragon Quest Heroes II> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.03} (¥8.800)
50./47. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.12.08} (¥4.700)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS4 - 16
NSW - 9
PSV - 4
WIU - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    293.000 |    211.000 |    288.000 | 12.160.000 | 12.976.000 |

L~A

On another topic, I had kind of thought DQXI in December was a possibility- clearly that's not the case- but it does leave an interesting question of what is Nintendo's big November/December game with Odyssey in October. I know there is Xenoblade 2, but I doubt Nintendo considers that too significant. I can see Skyrim getting a big push in the West- but obviously that's not too centered on Japan.

Yup, SMO being released in October 27th really makes you wonder about November. I think that's when we might see Smash, since that'd allow Nintendo to have that same Smash + Pokémon combo they made such a big deal of in 2015.

There's also December: Nintendo generally releases a "major" family-focused title during that month, so I wonder if they're going to have one this year too.

jonno394

Yup, SMO being released in October 27th really makes you wonder about November. I think that's when we might see Smash, since that'd allow Nintendo to have that same Smash + Pokémon combo they made such a big deal of in 2015.

There's also December: Nintendo generally releases a "major" family-focused title during that month, so I wonder if they're going to have one this year too.

I'm more of the "smash is launching with the online service in 2018" train of thought. They need a 'big' launch title for the online service and Smash appears to be the only one they've got in reserve.

Laplasakos

Animal Crossing?

Maybe Level 5 will release Yokai Watch 4 on Switch too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Patience is a virtua.

Branduil

If Smash was coming out this year, why wouldn't they have shown it at e3?

Mpl90

Let's consider this: so far, Nintendo has seemingly followed a specific plan for Switch's first year lineup, with a steady flow of good-selling first party content, with some third party games getting the spotlight with no Nintendo competition. This happened in May when Minecraft: NSE and USFII (of course, much more the former in Japan) have been released; it'll happen again in August when MHXX releases, and I think the same can happen in November / December. Mind you, I still think there's a Switch/3DS Mario & Sonic hiding somewhere, but still, stuff like Taiko and Minecraft's retail release would be perfect fits for this spot.

Mpl90

I don't think Smash is coming out this year due to the huge amount of competitive multiplayer titles already slated for this year, but thinking that it's too late for Nintendo to announce a brand new game with a 2017 release seems wrong to me. As a reminder, Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS was announced on September 1st, 2016, well after E3 2016.

Zedark

It's only June. I feel like there is a lot of time to announce a smaller December game if it's just an effort to plug holes
Definitely. Pokken and Mario + Rabbids officially have about 3 months between reveal and release, so we could very well see another title pop up. They definitely don't need one in order to have a great lineup still, though.

casiopao

Switch is already on track to have more Japanese developed games in its first year than PS4, and its not even July yet.

Relax.

Relax.

Relax.

Hushhh. Let the doom keep going bro.^^

I had zero fear on Switch future in Japan as this had always happen. It is just overreaction all over again.

I am more interested on that November and December blank spot there. I wonder if Nintendo still had some surprise or some third party title launching on Switch which they believe could help Switch selling there.

I can see Taiko coming out in December or even Tales to capitalize on Switch holiday there for sure.

Definitely. Pokken and Mario + Rabbids officially have about 3 months between reveal and release, so we could very well see another title pop up. They definitely don't need one in order to have a great lineup still, though.

Yeah. I think third parties could announce stuff to plug that hole. They could even release Minecraft physical edition there if worst came to worst.

I guess too late in a "Mass Effect 3 WiiU vs Mass Effect Collection" way??

late ports that do more harm than good or are too late to even matter.

Makes me think about Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch which doesn't even include the DLC packs vs Dragon Ball FighterZ...

But like many others are saying, it's only June. The Switch isn't a Wii U 2.

ggx2ac

Makes me think about Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch which doesn't even include the DLC packs vs Dragon Ball FighterZ...

But like many others are saying, it's only June. The Switch isn't a Wii U 2.

Once we see shipments from Nintendo's quarterly results next month, it's going to be closer to a 3DS than a Wii U.

vareon

We'll probably see a Direct in September/October for more Holiday lineup. That being said I don't see a major or high profile release like Animal Crossing this Holiday. Maybe a Mario Party?

I cant shake the feeling that some sort of Switch Sports is coming. Nintendo needs it to be at least as packed as Wii Sports Resort. Don't make the same mistake as with Wii Sports U. Bring the franchise to a more modern place and it should have the same appeal. I still have random people talk to me about Wii Bowling fondly.

L~A

Let's consider this: so far, Nintendo has seemingly followed a specific plan for Switch's first year lineup, with a steady flow of good-selling first party content, with some third party games getting the spotlight with no Nintendo competition. This happened in May when Minecraft: NSE and USFII (of course, much more the former in Japan) have been released; it'll happen again in August when MHXX releases, and I think the same can happen in November / December. Mind you, I still think there's a Switch/3DS Mario & Sonic hiding somewhere, but still, stuff like Taiko and Minecraft's retail release would be perfect fits for this spot.

I'm talking exclusively of 1st-party titles. Hmm... I could see Mario + Sonic in December, yup.

To focus on ARMS, I guess?

It's just purely conjecture, but it's the only game big enough to warrant Mario being moved away from the "Black Friday spot" (that I can think of).

LordRaptor

Physically based material shading is about making materials reflect based upon much more accurate physical properties.

You can still make things look shiny without it, but in those two screens, you'll notice some differences in how the snake lights and the approximate accuracy of how the scales look compared to how scales actually work.

It can be subtle, but it's computationally very costly in comparison.

For example, compare how the metal looks here, even though both are shiny:

[IMG.]https://abload.de/img/shadingcomparison2emsle.jpg[/IMG]

It's one of the major differences between PS4/XB1 era rendering and 360/PS3 era rendering.

Deferred rendering over forward rendering is an initial performance hit, but then all lighting effects are done as post-processing effects in a 'stack', and can effectively be toggled on and off at will, or reduced in quality to meet performance targets - its effectively like having a screenshot of a game and then having multiple photoshop layers to composite the final image.

PBR is basically an all or nothing deal - I would be extremely surprised if Snake Pass wasn't PBR / deferred across all platforms. the actual quality settings come from things like lowering the resolution of specific 'layers' (eg making the layer that draws shadows render at 480p instead of 1080p), removing expensive layers like Depth Of Field or Ambient Occlusion entirely, reducing the number of light sources each pixel can be affected by (a geometric performance increase) or more aggressive optimisations, like reducing the distance at which LOD swaps occur.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I wouldn't expect anything else major from Nintendo for 2017. They have a history of revealing games a few months before release but this year they aren't in pressure. As far as first party offerings Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 are more than enough for holidays. Maybe there will be something unknown so far but nothing breathtaking.

Vinnk

Someone was keeping a list of how long it took the Switch to sell out when new stock came in. But I can't find it. Could anyone point me to it?

Why did they hold off on revealing the system until four and a half months before launch, by far the shortest such interval in console marketing history? Why did they hold off on revealing any details at all about the Switch software lineup until less than two months before launch?

They do some weird stuff with PR. I'm not saying it'll necessarily happen, but Nintendo revealing Smash only 2-3 months before release strikes me as less weird than not having a tentpole release for Switch in November or December.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why did they hold off on revealing the system until four and a half months before launch, by far the shortest such interval in console marketing history? Why did they hold off on revealing any details at all about the Switch software lineup until less than two months before launch?

They do some weird stuff with PR. I'm not saying it'll necessarily happen, but Nintendo revealing Smash only 2-3 months before release strikes me as less weird than not having a tentpole release for Switch in November or December.

The tentapole release is clearly Skyrim. I'm not even joking it's right there in their timeline.

jonno394

Good interview regarding the future of the layton franchise

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ney_katrielle_and_the_millionaires_conspiracy

Totally agree with the new character explanation and so want a new movie, but this is the key section

On the lack of a Switch version for Layton’s Mystery Journey…

Hino-san: The reason why we chose the 3DS is because there’s a large Layton fanbase on 3DS given that we’ve released other Layton titles for the platform. We wanted to cater to that original fanbase that we already have and has been with us for a long time. Also, we are releasing it for smartphones. The reason why we didn’t bring it to Switch is because we hadn’t started development for the Switch at the time that we were actively working on this game. For the future, we’ll look into maybe porting it to Switch and making the next game in the series on the Switch."

The tentapole release is clearly Skyrim. I'm not even joking it's right there in their timeline.

I think you're right and that leads me to believe there will be more Nintendo themed content than we previously thought. I'm still surprised they didn't demo it during the Treehouse, maybe it's just not in a playable state yet?

saichi

I'm really worried about how much a port that late on Switch would perform in japan.. I mean this is DQ we're talking about. We know how is the audience for that game in Japan, this is hardcore fanatism and first day record sales. You think any DQ fan will not buy it on PS4 or 3DS ? So 1 year or 6 months later, who would buy it on Switch ? People willing to buy a game twice in 1 year, and people not fan enough of DQ to buy the new game when it comes out ?

There are several franchises with third version released on the same system within a year and yet people still buy them. I'm not sure what would be the problem with DQ on a different system in a year or 6 months.

Salvadora

It's possible that Nintendo considers Zelda story DLC as a "major" release and gets a GOTY edition out the door for holidays.

Or, at the very least, another major push.

L~A

I hope you're not using the placement of the games on that timeline, because it's not meant to be accurate (MHS is listed after Mario & Luigi, but comes out a whole month before it). Shouldn't read too much into it.

EDarkness

Good interview regarding the future of the layton franchise

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ney_katrielle_and_the_millionaires_conspiracy

Totally agree with the new character explanation and so want a new movie, but this is the key section

You know, I would be more than willing to jump into the Layton series if I could play it on the TV. I hope they manage to figure this out, because I'd actually pick up Lady Layton in that case. I would also like them to revisit the Layton and Phoenix game they did a couple of years back.

Mpl90

Japanese Nintendo eShop Charts - as of June 23rd, 2017, 19:22 GMT {2017.06.09 - 2017.06.23}

01. Arms (Nintendo)
02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Microsoft)
03. SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo)
04. Human Resource Machine (Tomorrow Corporation)
05. Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Inti Creates)
06. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
07. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
08. Oceanhorn - Monster of Uncharted Seas (FDG Entertainment)
09. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
10. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Yacht Club Games)
11. Kamiko (Circle)
12. Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix)
13. Plantera DX Edition (Rainy Frog)
14. Battle Sports Mekuru (Over Pence)
15. 1-2 Switch (Nintendo)

Top Bottom