• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
the thing is... I want the switch to sell as much as fast as possible in the hopes that we see 3rd party japanese pubs/devs green-lighting more and more games.

Switch has showed its dynamic and especially in Japan it has no competition. Having more stock available won't make (Japanese mainly) third parties make games faster.

Those who were hesitate in the beginning and decided to jump onboard after seeing initial sales will have to deal with that decision, it's not like Switch will live or die on their input.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No worries, I know it wasn't your intention :p

Actually, back in the other thread I already addressed what happened with the Wii, since I wanted to make a comparison with the Switch in order to outline the several areas where I believe there are major differencies between the two situations. I've yet to post the follow-up, but I hope to do so later today. In the meanwhile, re-posting what I said about the Wii several days ago

And here's the promised follow-up: basically outlining the Switch's current situation in the same cathegories used to describe the Wii's.

Hardware sales

In the same way we can't comment way too negatively on potential third party support for Switch since it's three months old, we can't start thinking that its hardware sales will certainly go beyond 3DS' heights. However, we can say that hardware numbers so far are good and that's in spite of major shortages affecting its potential especially since May. Also, thanks to Nintendo's current first party slate, there shouldn't be too many doubts on the system's potential in the mid-term (unless one / two of the biggest games surprisingly fail to live to expectations, of course). As the productions speeds up, shortages should become less and less problematic. Hopefully, that process is moving at a good pace. Overall, the mid-term sales potential is pretty good, which represents a major difference compared to Wii U, PSV and PS4 (PS4 strictly in Japan, the other two on a worldwide scale).

Software sales/support

Of course, the current third party support cannot be considered "good" on a general level, because it isn't: there are upcoming releases not coming to the system, companies still missing, not too much quantity-wise. Still, there are some good signs for the future, even in this early stage: KT and Square being so upfront and releasing so many titles on the system already, stuff like Fate/Extella and Nights of Azure 2 appearing, some pretty good results already (Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Seiken Densetsu Collection - I'd even include DQHI-II on a lower scale, since it's still selling in spite of its high MSRP) with no major discounting in sight (quite unusual compared to most recent hardware launches). Also, as I've said multiple times, Japanese companies tend to be slow to bring their games to new hardware. Moreover, while both 3DS and Vita saw over 60 retail games released in their respective first years, it can be said that the vast majority of those games (especially for the latter) were not that relevant at all. And I'd also dare to say that looking at 3DS's retail releases highlights how different the industry is now: it was a time when digital storefronts weren't nearly as big as they are right now, and 3DS didn't even release with its own eShop. This means that it's possible a good chunk of initial 3DS games would've been digital-only releases. The same, but on a lower scale due to its later release, can be said for Vita.

Nirolak also noted how 3DS started getting a more convinced push from third parties around 9 months after its launch, while Vita/PS4 had to wait a bit more (12-to-18 months) to see releases finally rolling at a regular pace. Personally, given the current worldwide hardware/software success, I think we could see the more important push happening more on the lower side of the 12-to-18 months gap. We'll have to see how things go, but I'm feeling quite confident that to say that a successful platform in all regions shouldn't have problems to see third parties starting releasing their own content on it with a more regular pace. And I know what you're going to say, "The Wii was in the same situation, but the push happened too late". Actually, the situation isn't that similar...

The market's context

This is probably what I consider the biggest difference between the Wii and the Switch, for several reasons.
First of all, the Wii came out when Nintendo's own handheld, the DS, was already selling at unpredecented levels, while the PSP was going to see a resurgance in 2007 starting with Monster Hunter Portable 2nd. This is certainly not what's going on right now: the Switch has been released in a time when the 3DS, while still selling and while still kept alive by Nintendo, is far from its glory days; while the Vita (a mediocre success on its own) is rapidly slowing down, with small weekly numbers. Remember how the Wii became, after its first (strong) months, the third best selling system in Japan? The Switch will be the best selling platform in Japan for quite a while, especially once the shortages lessen their hold on the console's sales potential.

Second, Wii and PS3/360 were extremely different development environments, due to engines / effects / power support's difference between the two, and (a few) Japanese developers who tried to chase success on the Western side of the market couldn't easily adapt their own tech and games for the Wii: more resources and employee were required in order to port PS3/360 games to Wii, if not to create a specific version for the system (maybe running on its own engine). While Switch is less powerful than PS4/Xbox One, the difference isn't nearly as large as the one between Wii and PS3/360 and (even more important) the current major engines / effects are pretty well supported. This means that ports from PS4 and Xbox One are far easier and far cheaper (and this is why we've heard KT having good words about their multiplatform engine on Switch.

Moreover, the system seems to be an healthy environment for third party games of different kinds: Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Seiken Densetsu Collection have seen good if not great sales given what they represent, while DQHI-II is a fine result for now. Not everything sold even just well (Ultra Street Fighter II is quite low for now, even if given the title we're talking about I don't believe Capcom is THAT unhappy about it), but the current worldwide (so, not just in Japan) situation represents a system enjoying a healthy software environment, both retail and digital (the Arcade Collection over 200,000 units as of a few weeks ago is another demonstration). Certainly, it has to be demonstrated how this is going to translate as more and "corer" games come to the platform, but, again, some good signs already.

It's also a good thing that the current first party lineup is not just strong, but interestingly quite steady and laser-focused. I'll try to explain myself better. This is the Japanese first year lineup by Nintendo on Wii, including release dates

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess {2006.12.02}
WarioWare: Smooth Moves {2006.12.02}
Wii Sports {2006.12.02}
Wii Play {2006.12.02}
Pokemon Battle Revolution {2006.12.14}
Excite Truck {2007.01.18}
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn {2007.02.22}
Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi {2007.03.08}
Super Paper Mario {2007.04.19}
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree {2007.04.26}
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast {2007.06.28}
Mario Party 8 {2007.07.26}
Endless Ocean {2007.08.02}
Mario Strikers Charged {2007.09.20}
Super Mario Galaxy {2007.11.1}
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games {2007.11.22}
Wii Fit {2007.12.1}

A lot of games (17), with several major sellers, but also smaller titles; now, that wouldn't be a bad thing, but it becomes a problem when there's a significant gap between important releases. This is exactly what happened between Mario Party 8 and Super Mario Galaxy, around 3 months with no major game in-between. And that's exactly when the Wii started losing its own momentum in Japan, with sales rapidly declining after Obon.

Let's look at the current retail Switch lineup, instead

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild {2017.03.03}
1-2 Switch {2017.03.03}
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe {2017.04.28}
Arms {2017.06.16}
Splatoon 2 {2017.07.21}
Pokken Tournament 2 {2017.09.22}
Super Mario Odyssey {2017.10.27}
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Fall 2017

Even if it's not a completely balanced comparison (since we're comparing both lineups up to the consoles' first non-launch Holiday, several more months are included for Wii), it's clear that Switch still has a lower amount of first party retail games, especially if you exclude Fire Emblem Warriors due to its special status of being a third party game in Japan. But as I've already said, it's more "laser-focused", in the sense that the vast majority of this year's releases are good / great games that can all help to carry on the console's momentum, with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as potentially the lowest selling game among them.

Certainly, there's a distinct lack of specifically casual-oriented games outside of 1-2 Switch, which pales in comparison with Wii Sports / Wii Play / Wii Fit, three major first year's tentpoles. Not that Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario are completely unattractive to less informed gamers (especially Splatoon 2, IMHO), but Wii had titles strictly targeted for that kind of customers, and we'll have to see whether Nintendo will start releasing that kind of software (even if in different forms) on Switch again. This could also be a sign of a different approach to the installed base expansion, potentially more traditional: trying to bring early on more core customers, while also releasing major bridge franchises, and then later, as the hardware price decreases, expanding towards less informed customers. This can help third party games as well in Japan.

It's also interesting to see how there seems to be a specific plan that implies specific gaps (still much smaller than what seen on Wii) in the lineup to let other important third party games the possibility to shine: Minecraft in May, MHXX in August. That's potentially changing in Japan in September, when both Fire Emblem Warriors and Pokken will be released; it still stands how this time the lack of major first party games is actually supplemented by specific third party releases - or better, how it seems it's not a random coincidence of schedules.

The last major difference in market contexts between Switch and Wii is that PS4 is in a different condition than PS3 back then. Wii and PS3 both released at the end of 2006, and we all know how the latter had major problems in selling on a worldwide scale, and incredible problems at attracting enough Japanese third party support due to different factors (difficult development environment for Japanese developers, DS/PSP gaining further market shares, even the Wii itself, and Microsoft didn't help either due to their several Japanese-focused partnerships - yep, the last generation is an interesting beast). So, slow growth, and 2009 was when things started improving considerably. Meanwhile, the Switch has been released at a time when the PS4 is established in the market, with already several major games released for, as well as upcoming major titles (DQXI, MHW, DW9). It's also true that PS4 is still seeing less-than-ideal sales for a market leader in Japan (I mean, it's still trending not that far from PS3 - but, again, DQXI will surely help in the short-term) while being the biggest platform in Europe and US, and this creates an interesting scenario where the system could be chosen by Japanese developers for potential Asian / Western sales prospects compared to Japanese's.

And that's it for my Switch/Wii cross-analysis. It came out...probably longer than what I wanted. Sorry to everyone XD

casiopao

Yes. Layton and IE had started their declines on DS even and LBX actually got a small reprieve on 3DS after floundering on Vita.

Agree. And dont forget how many flop title L-5 get too during early 3ds era too.

They are lucky fantasy life and Youkai Watch is that loved in the end.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think Level-5 allowing the switch userbase to grow before bringing their IPs across should allow the eventual releases to perform better than the 3ds openers did.
If I repeat what I think for Level 5 again I will start sounding like some other famous broken records in here but not being on Switch from day 1 has to do more with lack of confidence for the system than waiting for its userbase to grow. That's obvious from many Hino's interviews and apparently he has to continue with that decision for a while even if he changed his mind since then.

That's a big problem for a company that relies heavily on short life franchises and looks to have run out of fresh ideas. Yo-kai Watch 4 and how they'll handle it will be crucial for company's future.

Laplasakos

I wanted to do a detailed post about Switch's third party support (or non-support...) after E3 since many people were expecting that we would see some new announcements there. I couldn't find the time just after E3 but now that things settled a bit i will write something. My post will be mainly for japanese third support for three different reasons. The first one is that we are in the MC thread. The second is because there is basically no support from western companies for the Switch yet. And the third it's because you would expect the japanese companies to support Switch right out of the gate as the 3DS successor. I won't detail as to why games like Destiny 2 or Wolfenstein 2 are not coming to Switch for the reasons we all can imagine. Also, i will detail games that have a chance of selling somewhat decently in Japan. So here it goes.

Dragon Ball FighterZ: Maybe the game that surprised more that is not coming to Switch. Since we started hearing rumors about Switch, BN was supposedly one of the first supporters that had multiple games in development, so it's likely one of the first companies that got development kits. I know that BN said that they will bring it to Switch if there is enough demand but to me it seems like they are waiting for Xenoverse 2 reception before making any decisions which brings back WiiU memories when companies were releasing ports and they were dropping support right after.

Code Vein: The second game tha surprised me most with the absence of a Switch version. I can't say much since we don't know many about the game yet but i am trying to find a good reason for this not appearing on Switch and i can't. It's running on Unreal Engine 4 and it doesn't look so stunning graphically that it couldn't run on Switch. It's a new IP from Bandai Namco so it should be a good chance to test the waters. It's coming to X1 too so i can't understand why it's not coming to Switch. Outside all the games that i am gonna list, the fact that this isn't coming to Switch isn't a good sign...

hack.GU HD: Another game by BN that won't appear on Switch. It's a 15th anniversary title that includes all the 3 hack.GU games in HD with extra content. The new game in the franchise that will come after this, is also not coming to Switch since they said it's coming to PS4.

The Evil Within 2: The first game managed to sell 190k (PS4+PS3), without counting digital and only counting the data from MC. I think, it's safe to say that i has grossed 200k now. Not a huge number but still a respectable number for a new IP (horror gerne too) in Japan. The sequel was announced at E3 for PS4, X1 and PC. It was one of the games that i was expecting it would appear on Switch for the following reasons. It's being made by a studio helmed by Mikami which always had a good relationship with Nintendo and the publisher is Bethesda, one of the first companies that supported Switch with Skyrim. Despite that, the game is not coming to Switch. Maybe one of the reasons is that it's using the iD 6 engine (it's not confimred yet but it's speculated) so maybe Switch is having problems running it but the footage didn't looked like something it would be impossible for Switch to run (of course with some downgrade).

Dissidia NT Final Fantasy: Frankly, i never expected this to appear on Switch. I just put it on the list because supposedly Square is one of the big Switch supporters (only ports if you exclude Octopath Traveler) and because when people were speculating when it will come to consoles they were pretty sure that a Switch version would be available. Also, let's not forget the rumors about how SE is supporting Switch with games like FFXV and FFVIIR... Dissidia would be the perfect game for Switch because a) it's an arena/fighting game and Switch seems it's getting many of these games, b) it would have no problem running on Switch c) it's a nice start for more FF support in the future.

Monster Hunter World: I think we discussed this enough in the last 2 weeks so i won't say anything more.

Ni No Kuni II: The game is coming to PS4 and PC. It's a sequel to Ni No Kuni that was released first on DS (and did good numbers although with heave discounts) and second on PS3 (bombed in Japan, did very good in the west). It's a Level 5 game, a company that has a strong relationship with Nintendo although i suspect that Bandai Namco plays a big role here which could mean that a Switch version is possible but... nope. If i go to the reveal thread when the game appeared at PSX 2015 i can find about 3 pages of posts saying ''it's definitely coming to Switch later'' although now this doesn't seem likely.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm: Now i don't expect this to do well in Japan but i am only including it to prove contrary to the popular impression in the MC threads that SE is a big Switch supporters, that outside of ports Square is not so interested on bringing new games to Switch.

Lost Sphear: I think it's the only japanese game announced that is coming to Switch. I expected that the next game of Tokyo RPG factory would be at least for PS4 and PC but i wasn't sure about a Vita version. Seems like they dropped it in favor of Switch.

Overall, this E3 didn't have many new announcements from japanese companies but even the few we had it's clear that they are not ready to support Switch yet. Of course, it's still early, Switch just got released and things can look very different from now. Someone could rightly argue that companies couldn't have ready new content for Switch mostly because they weren't expecting some big success but when we have many articles and comments from developers about how easy developing for Switch is or how they can port a PC build (or PS4/X1) in weeks! then i can't help to question why they haven't been doing it.

Vena

I'd be surprised if DBFZ doesn't end up on the Switch given the active campaign actually behind it, unlike most other port "go post to twitter about it" movements.

Too many FGC people want it on top of the twitter stuff as well.

I'd be surprised if DBFZ doesn't end up on the Switch given the active campaign actually behind it, unlike most other port "go post to twitter about it" movements.

If they don't there will be a huge backlash.

So they better not go back on their words.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Some Dengeki highlights/milestones

Double Cross at 1.6M
04./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross (Capcom) {2017.03.18} - 7,211 / 1,603,637

Mario Sports Superstars & Bomberman R crossed 100K recently.

17./21. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars (Nintendo) {2017.03.30} - 2,011 / 103,292
31./33. [NSW] Super Bomberman R (Konami) {2017.03.03} - 1,439 / 101,518

Tekken 7 hits 75K
05./02. [PS4] Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.06.01} - 5,770 / 75,050

Games back on the charts this week:
41./55. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} - 1,006 / 105,680
47./53. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris S (Sega) {2017.03.03} - 711 / 41,170
48./81. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (Sega) {2016.12.08} - 678 / 363,307

Jigorath

Banned

The fact that a Japanese 3rd party game with no technical reason not to be on Switch needs a big Twitter campaign just to get considered for a port is a bit worrying.

MoonFrog

The further thing about Switch support is that so much of it is striking at the strength of portables wrt local, pick-up multiplayer.

Kart, Arms, Splatoon, MHXX, Pokken, FIFA, Rocket League, and such. Nintendo is really stacking that deck. (And they apparently sought Rocket League, at least. I can't imagine they did not seek XX port).

Switch launch is very heavily strategized, imo.

EDIT:

Right now Nintendo seems to be doing the above and also revitalizing their brand with their core audience, i.e. giving us core fan dreams. Open world Zelda, exploration Mario, Metroid (2D and 3D), so far.

Vena

The fact that a Japanese 3rd party game with no technical reason not to be on Switch needs a big Twitter campaign just to get considered for a port is a bit worrying.

I'd consider it just a fact of it having been started long before the Switch was a thing. Nintendo's audience and Dragonball have pretty appreciable crossover, and now we're not dealing with a WiiU dud.

It's just a matter of planning.

They actually seem open to incorporating it, otherwise the interview is meaningless and will blowback in their faces.

Datschge

The further thing about Switch support is that so much of it is striking at the strength of portables wrt local, pick-up multiplayer.

Kart, Arms, Splatoon, MHXX, Pokken, FIFA, Rocket League, and such. Nintendo is really stacking that deck. (And they apparently sought Rocket League, at least. I can't imagine they did not seek XX port).

Switch launch is very heavily strategized, imo.
By focusing on making a "home console" portable it's also finally moving a traditional Nintendo stronghold, local multiplayer, away from the long perceived niche that is groups of people sitting in front of a single screen. I think that's the biggest selling point of Switch, and by focusing on this many local multiplayer games Switch players can't avoid getting in touch with that, further increasing the potential for word of mouth.

The only reason for this is Bandai Namco's policy on Switch. They promised a port of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, and a (new?) Taiko no Tatsujin game for the Switch through Nintendo's Japanese website right after the January event. We now know that DBXV2 for Switch doesn't even include any DLC right out the box, while all 4 DLC packs will be released by the time the Switch version comes out.
As for Taiko no Tatsujin, a new game has been announced for PS4 due this Fall. It's strange that it isn't announced for Switch too, so I suppose Switch owners have to wait a bit longer until they can experience the Taiko magic on their new system (sometime 2018 probably).

BNE apparently didn't see any success in the Switch. No games have been announced for the system besides these two. Big nor small. The Switch supports Unreal Engine 4, so even a downgraded version of Tekken 7 could've made it to the system. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 did very well on Wii U, so I can't find any reason for skipping the system besides policy. BNE just didn't believe in the Switch, and probably still doesn't, as even their most recent announcement skip the system.

VLQ

The only reason for this is Bandai Namco's policy on Switch. They promised a port of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, and a (new?) Taiko no Tatsujin game for the Switch through Nintendo's Japanese website right after the January event. We now know that DBXV2 for Switch doesn't even include any DLC right out the box, while all 4 DLC packs will be released by the time the Switch version comes out.
As for Taiko no Tatsujin, a new game has been announced for PS4 due this Fall. It's strange that it isn't announced for Switch too, so I suppose Switch owners have to wait a bit longer until they can experience the Taiko magic on their new system (sometime 2018 probably).

BNE apparently didn't see any success in the Switch. No games have been announced for the system besides these two. Big nor small. The Switch supports Unreal Engine 4, so even a downgraded version of Tekken 7 could've made it to the system. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 did very well on Wii U, so I can't find any reason for skipping the system besides policy. BNE just didn't believe in the Switch, and probably still doesn't, as even their most recent announcement skip the system.

that's funny, because at the same time they makes Pokken, presumably Smash, and even outsourced ARMS

that's funny, because at the same time they makes Pokken, presumably Smash, and even outsourced ARMS

Those projects aren't self-financed though. Maybe they have a minority stake in those projects, but those will be branded as first-party games, where the risk is lower. But they apparently don't want to take the risk of bringing a fully self-financed product to the Switch.

Sandfox

IIRC the Switch Taiko and Tales game are supoosed to release this FY. They obviously aren't big titles, but you forgot about One Piece and Namco Museum.

Mpl90

In order

1) Sincere question: do we know if the 4th DLC pack is the last one for DBXV2? I believe the lack of inclusion in the Switch version is due to how the original game is still getting active support from Bandai Namco. It's a bit different from other cases when we've seen DLCs included from the get go in the later release - basically, DBXV2 is more GaaS-ish.

2) I don't think we know when the new Taiko for PS4 is coming, besides from a general 2017. It could be Fall, but it could also be early enough that another entry, the Switch one, can still be released - it wouldn't be the first time we see two Taiko games released in the same year.

3) False: if we're including Taiko no Tatsujin, we should also include the unnamed Tales of that's coming to Switch. Plus, One Piece UWR Deluxe Edition

4) Tekken Tag Tournament 2 sold well on Wii U in what universe? Certainly not in ours :p

BriBri

What's all this concern with Bandai Namco's Switch support? They'll announce when they're ready. It's their 3DS support that's far more concerning; dropping heavily this year (18 titles in 2016 to just 2 thus far in 2017 - not including the Welcome Price re-releases).

Mpl90

Speaking of this, do we have any reference for other successful petitions / fan based initiatives? The ones I remember (and for which I searched for more accurate infos) are the Dark Souls on PC petition (over 66,000 in three days) and the one about Digimon games in the West (I saw it reached over 65,000, but I don't exactly know when it started). Don't know if stats on retweet campaigns can be found anywhere.

Small tidbit: the Digimon petition was opened by an italian, just like the one for Dragon Ball.

Also, if you haven't noticed, all the aforementioned initiatives involve games developer/published by Bandai Namco somehow XD

In order

1) Sincere question: do we know if the 4th DLC pack is the last one for DBXV2? I believe the lack of inclusion in the Switch version is due to how the original game is still getting active support from Bandai Namco. It's a bit different from other cases when we've seen DLCs included from the get go in the later release - basically, DBXV2 is more GaaS-ish.

2) I don't think we know when the new Taiko for PS4 is coming, besides from a general 2017. It could be Fall, but it could also be early enough that another entry, the Switch one, can still be released - it wouldn't be the first time we see two Taiko games released in the same year.

3) False: if we're including Taiko no Tatsujin, we should also include the unnamed Tales of that's coming to Switch. Plus, One Piece UWR Deluxe Edition

4) Tekken Tag Tournament 2 sold well on Wii U in what universe? Certainly not in ours :p

1) I'm not sure on that, but we do know that the Season Pass currently available on the PSN Store is for 4 DLC content packs.

2) When two Taiko games were released within the same year, it usually is one in June or so and one in November. Your hypothesis could definitely be true, but the chances are getting slimmer each day. But who knows. :)

3) My bad. I forgot One Piece and Namco Museum indeed. I could name a couple of bigger BNE games for this year tho! It's just a weak line-up. And who knows when that Tales Switch game may come out...

4) I heard this from a person I know closer to the company. But I'm okay with discarding that statement. Whatever.

What's all this concern with Bandai Namco's Switch support? They'll announce when they're ready. It's their 3DS support that's far more concerning; dropping heavily this year (18 titles in 2016 to just 2 thus far in 2017 - not including the Welcome Price re-releases).

Is it concerning? We're nearing the end of the line for the 3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hardware sales are up from last year. Dragon Quest XI releases next month. A new Pokémon in November. 18 titles to 2 titles is a concern.

Hardware sales will be more than 500k and software more than 50% down at the end of the year for 3DS.

Fisico

Code Vein:

hack.GU HD: Another game by BN that won't appear on Switch. It's a 15th anniversary title that includes all the 3 hack.GU games in HD with extra content. The new game in the franchise that will come after this, is also not coming to Switch since they said it's coming to PS4.

The Evil Within 2

Dissidia NT Final Fantasy

Ni No Kuni II

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Lost Sphear:

I don't really know how you picked some titles and decided there was a chance for a Switch version being announced by now for some of them.

Code Vein is a game targeting western audience and Japan as an afterthought, Switch was probably not considered at first at all because outside Japan its success was not guaranteed.
At this point they're probably far enough in development that it would take time and ressources, thus delaying the project, to target simultaneous releases with a Switch downport.
It wouldn't be surprising if it comes later on however

.hack have always been on Sony consoles only, they don't have plans to expand their audience much or relaunch the IP in a relevant way.

I have no idea in what world The Evil Within 2 was even on the table for the Switch version, Mikami special relationship with Nintendo to the point it was worth mentioning is more than a decade old story, survival horror don't look like a good fit on Nintendo consoles especially with the low install base, and Bethesda is doing what exactly? A year old port of a six years old game that they will also release on VR ?

All of that should be good reasons to release a subpar version of the sequel of a game that Tango already struggled to make stable on current gen from a technical point of view?
That would be a much more wiser choice for them to do proper PS4 Pro Xbox One X optimisations instead considering the targeted audience.

Ninokuni 2 is nearly done, Bandai Namco paid for a PS4 game after the initial success they got with the PS3 SKU, it might come on Switch later but if it does they chose to not delay the PS4 SKU for that.
Ninokuni on DS also hit the bomba bin pretty hard, that's not something that should be downplayed and that happened on the best selling console Japan ever got on one of its best year on the market (if not the best)

Mentioning random post of fanboys asking for Switch versions of basically anything is not a good argument either and brushing off technical hurdles as if it was nothing is not something to do when trying to understand why some games aren't happening.

Ōkami

Switch surprising success means that you should'nt expect a larger third party support until 2018 in the earliest, until then you'll see people moving from the January presentation, to the pre launch Direct that's totally happening to E3 and now to TGS, soon enough it'll be random directs and then 2018.

2017 and 2018's biggest Japanese games won't be hitting Switch for a myriad of reasons, being tech limitations, budget constraints, lack of faith in the system, not getting SDK soon enough, etc.

I've already mentioned how Dynasty Warriors 9 won't be on Switch, well you shouldn't expect the Yakuza series to move over either, or the next big Resident Evil game, or high end priojects from Bamco or SE.

Plenty of people expect to see PS4/Switch multiplats in the future, and they're definetly happening, but not on the level of PS4/XB1 multiplats, something closer to PS4/PSV multiplats; getting the big 3DS and PSV games on the system is the most likely essenario, rather than the big PS4 games getting ported to Switch.

Think Sword Art Online rather than Code Vein, Ace Attorney rather than Resident Evil, Miku rather than Yakuza and Lost Sphear rather than Kingdom Hearts.

Laplasakos

I don't really know how you picked some titles and decided there was a chance for a Switch version being announced by now for some of them.

I didn't picked ''some'' titles, i picked the games from japanese companies that was announced at E3. I explained the reasons why i won't detail all the games of E3 like Destiny 2 in my first paragraph. Maybe you missed that part.

Code Vein is a game targeting western audience and Japan as an afterthought, Switch was probably not considered at first at all because outside Japan its success was not guaranteed.
At this point they're probably far enough in development that it would take time and ressources, thus delaying the project, to target simultaneous releases with a Switch downport.
It wouldn't be surprising if it comes later on however

Where did you get that Code Vein is targerting western audience? By the fact that it was revealed on Famitsu maybe? Look, if you have a different opinion it's fine and we can discuss it, but don't invent things out of thin air just to prove me wrong. Aside the fact that it was revealed at Famitsu, the developers never said that that it's a game targeted at west with Japan as an afterthought. I don't really know how you are so sure that the game is far enough in developemen when we have a vague 2018 release. Also, i like the fact how you say that i am brushing off technical hurdles as if it was nothing and yet you say that a Switch version of Code Vein would take time, resources and would delay the project.

.hack have always been on Sony consoles only, they don't have plans to expand their audience much or relaunch the IP in a relevant way.

Just because it was on Sony consoles doesn't mean it can come to other platforms too? It's also coming to Steam. And again, where do you get that they don't have plans to expand their audience or relaunch the IP in a relevant way? Just because there is not a Switch version? I mean hack. is a franchise with anime, comic, novel, ova, speciality magazines, games. Please tell me in your opinion what more they can do to expand the IP in a relevant way.

Didn't the 3ds launch at $299? The switch is such a better deal lol, though won't see a price drop as quickly I'm sure. If the shortages were addressed, what kind of trajectory would we be seeing?

KtSlime

Didn't the 3ds launch at $299? The switch is such a better deal lol, though won't see a price drop as quickly I'm sure. If the shortages were addressed, what kind of trajectory would we be seeing?

Who knows, I don't think we will ever know, I believe Switch would easily be able to support 70k units a week after Splatoon.

It was $249.

¥25000, tax included (they used to include tax in prices back then)

zeromcd73

Switch raffle day? Switch raffle day.
DDIDFGoUwAAD4pv.jpg
DDIC5pWUAAA1IZ2.jpg
DDH_H3mUwAAq7xg.jpg

DDH-RDrUQAEqf_J.jpg
DDILy3lVYAEY_sp.jpg
Not sure which one, but one Bic Camera seems to have had over 980 people in line.

KtSlime

Not sure which one, but one Bic Camera seems to have had over 980 people in line.

That's the Tachikawa store, so to get 980 people lined up there and not even in Tokyo proper is pretty good.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't live in Tachikawa lined up there, but that's about 1 out of every 180 people in the city there.

Aters

Third picture cracked me up. Why did the man in the middle don't get his face covered?

I get the feeling Square-Enix, NIS, Atlus, Sega, and Konkani expected it.

The only one caught by surprise is probably Capcom.

I wouldn't say any-third party expected it. I mean, even Nintendo was caught off guard. Konami and SE are less conservative and are willing to try out new platforms.

Third picture cracked me up. Why did the man in the middle don't get his face covered?

I wouldn't say any-third party expected it. I mean, even Nintendo was caught off guard. Konami and SE are less conservative and are willing to try out new platforms.

i guess his face somewhat blocked a bit by the escalator guard(?) while I think the rest that got covered had their face full open

Hardware sales are up from last year. Dragon Quest XI releases next month. A new Pokémon in November. 18 titles to 2 titles is a concern.

So you meant concerning for Bandai Namco? I'm not sure who or what we should be concerned about here. The Switch is the system whose fate is not sealed. The 3DS is on autopilot, it doesn't matter how many games they make for the system anymore.

casiopao

Not that crazy, no matter how bad Konami is, they have better business sense than Capcom.

Actually, i would said from most third party, Konami had easily the best business sense.^^

They are not afraid to cut down money pit and then they will just do what the do best. Making muney.^^

On this question though.

After Bomberman and Momotaro, is there any medium size IP which Konami can revitalize which can capitalize on Switch hotness right now?

I can see Castlevania doing quite well but the rest not really.

VLQ

Actually, i would said from most third party, Konami had easily the best business sense.^^

They are not afraid to cut down money pit and then they will just do what the do best. Making muney.^^

On this question though.

After Bomberman and Momotaro, is there any medium size IP which Konami can revitalize which can capitalize on Switch hotness right now?

Contra? plz...

RPGamer92

Banned

On this question though.

Gradius maybe?

Top Bottom