• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

It doesn't help that some of these first party titles on the Switch would sell a lot more if there was enough units in Japan.

Games like Splatoon, Mario kart, and ARMS will suffer for it.

Hopefully they can increase the supply down the road.

noshten

27k Switch from Famitsu?
They can't get the stock sorted at all.
Splatoon 2 launch is looking increasingly worrying.

I wouldn't worry - they have definitely planned to have more units in Japan for Splatoon 2 launch and the summer holiday. July/August is generally a slower period in the West so a bit more supply will be concentrated in Japan for those months. They've already confirmed that after the summer the increase of production should be felt more substantially.
The only question is how much they have stockpiled for the Splatoon 2 launch.

Vinnk

27k Switch from Famitsu?

If they made a lot of the Splatoon 2 hardware bundles, they should be ok. But I don't think we have any idea of how many of those will be out there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Famitsu was in big disagreement with Media Create for Switch (and less Arms) last week.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for MC numbers before commenting on Switch hardware sales - Famitsu has been less consistent compared to both MC and Dengeki on this front. Going back to 27k would be incredibly strange given all the reports about increased availability / distribution periods.

The same for Arms: Famitsu overestimated its first week compared to both MC and Dengeki.

ggx2ac

At the end of 4th Quarter FY3/2017, Nintendo shipped 600k Switch units to Japan, 1.2M to the Americas, 940k to Other.

I estimate that at the end of 1st Quarter FY3/2018 that Nintendo will have shipped 450k Switch units to Japan, 900k 830k units to the Americas and 600k 550k units to Other.

That is very simple guesswork though and it would be better waiting for the actual results.

Technically if they did ship that much it would put the Switch HW total at 4.62M 4.5M which is just 300k 190k units more than the 3DS over the same period of time from its launch.

Well, it's one month left to go until the results so there's no reason to get hyped due to the worldwide shortages.

Hopefully the second quarter actually starts out with a bang and not with waiting until that bang happens on Splatoon 2 launching.

Edit: I think I'm overestimating the Americas and Other because of how bad those NPD numbers back in May were so I've adjusted it.

Zedark

It seems amazon.jp got it's first real Switch restock in a few weeks, since currently there are like 6 Switch SKUs in the top 10 daily ranking, with three having overtaken Splatoon 2 and one at the top of the chart. All are sold out again, though. They just popped into the ranking during this hour (found at 10 AM CEST, figure out your local time!), which means all these units sold out within the hour (no surprise there), which is pretty telling for the demand of the system, since this must have been a sizable restock judging by the position in the ranking the SKUs reached.

Edit: For posterity:

DDZM2mTXYAI1jRA.jpg

DDZNZoBXsAAbyZ-.jpg

DDZNplkW0AAhC-l.jpg

DDZM2mYXcAENHLM.jpg

You can see BOTW jumped over ARMS, which suggests its sales increased as a result of this major restock.

ggx2ac

Some retailers getting Splatoon 2 Switch hardware bundle restocks additional orders? (Mochizuki retweeted the following)

https://twitter.com/ENETJP/status/879981038750941184

Twitter Machine translation:
[Most Popular] for the popular Nintendo Switch Splatoon version 2 included additional orders will begin when you sold inconvenience, please forgive me please.

Google translate:
【Popular Items】 Nintendo Switch Supra Toon 2 Included bundled version will be accepted for order addition. Because of popularity, please humbly please when sold out.

Zedark

Switch Splatoon 2 bundle is only now becoming available for pre-order?

It has been before, but sold out quickly (what a surprise lol). You may remember that time after the Splatoon 2 start of preorders where the whole of the amazon japan was a squid.

noshten

It has been before, but sold out quickly (what a surprise lol). You may remember that time after the Splatoon 2 start of preorders where the whole of the amazon japan was a squid.

Right, forgot about there was a bundle as well when all the other Splatoon 2 pre-orders started

Zedark

nintendo dropping switch for snes mini, a true home console

japan saved

You joke, but it will be interesting to see what medium they use to store the preloaded ROMs. If they are using flash memory, then either the flash memory shortage has been solved and then some, or the flash memory isn't the component that they are having shortages with (third option: they are out of their mind).

Turrican3

You joke, but it will be interesting to see what medium they use to store the preloaded ROMs. If they are using flash memory, then either the flash memory shortage has been solved and then some, or the flash memory isn't the component that they are having shortages with (third option: they are out of their mind).
Maybe it's a different part compared to the one used in the Switch?

Honest question (don't remember the innards of the NES Classic Mini, which I suspect will be quite similar if not identical)

ggx2ac

They could be sourcing the NAND flash for SNES Classic Mini from elsewhere that isn't Samsung or Toshiba, they used 512MB eMMC for the NES Classic Mini if I remember correctly last time.

They don't really need something that is high quality with high read and write speeds because the NAND flash SNES Classic Mini would use is only needed for storing ROMS and the only thing it will be doing to write to memory is a couple of kb of save data since you wont be able to download extra games off the eShop.

D.Lo

All the SNES games included will fit in like 100 megs. Switch needs 32GB.

Zedark

Maybe it's a different part compared to the one used in the Switch?

Honest question (don't remember the innards of the NES Classic Mini, which I suspect will be quite similar if not identical)

Yeah, I looked into it, and they are using flash memory from a company named Spansion, rather than the flash memory for the Switch that they are getting from Toshiba. Still, you could apply the same logic and ask why they wouldn't get that factory to manufacture 32GB flash memory for the Switch, but maybe that's not as easy/doable as it seems to us armchair manufacturers ;)

They could be sourcing the NAND flash for SNES Classic Mini from elsewhere that isn't Samsung or Toshiba, they used 512MB eMMC for the NES Classic Mini if I remember correctly last time.

They don't really need something that is high quality with high read and write speeds because the NAND flash SNES Classic Mini would use is only needed for storing ROMS and the only thing it will be doing to write to memory is a couple of kb of save data since you wont be able to download extra games off the eShop.
Yeah, Spansion possibly doesn't have the pedigree to deliver reliable higher storage flash memory, which could be why.

ggx2ac

Yeah, I looked into it, and they are using flash memory from a company named Spansion, rather than the flash memory for the Switch that they are getting from Toshiba. Still, you could apply the same logic and ask why they wouldn't get that factory to manufacture 32GB flash memory for the Switch, but maybe that's not as easy/doable as it seems to us armchair manufacturers ;)

As I mentioned, it's a question of quality as in the read and write speeds.

Look at this article massoluk posted before in one of the other threads:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN19B39S

Huawei for example used lower quality NAND flash from other sources because of shortages that it caused this:

Signs of stress have already emerged: Huawei Technologies Ltd [HWT.UL] was criticized by consumers after it was discovered the Chinese firm used a mix of less advanced and powerful chips in its flagship P10 model that led to significant variations in performance.

Huawei did not respond to requests for comment on its memory procurement plans.

goldage

Banned
i figured they're releasing mini snes because of the switch component shortages

Mpl90

There's one thing that needs to be said.

Yes, many third parties were late to the party (!!!) with Wii.
But in my opinion many core games bombed because by the time they came to the market, the Wii audience had significantly changed compared to the early period and was basically a weird (?) mixture of casual and Nintendo enthusiasts.

Current Switch lineup seems *very* different to me right now (and I'm sure this affects the audience for obvious reasons) and unless a huge casual shift happens, I think even in the worse case scenario the outcome might diverge a lot from what we experienced in 2009-10 for this reason.

This is a point I wanted to expand upon a bit on my follow-up post, but then I thought it was already far too long.
Basically, not only I believe Switch's current first year lineup is extremely laser-focused (fewer games, but potentially all good / great sellers), but I also think what Nintendo is doing is fostering different mainstream / core audiences right from the get go, with a bigger emphasis on the "core" side of the spectrum compared to other recent Nintendo platforms in their first year, especially the Wii.

In my earlier posts on the matter, I've already stated how I believe the Wii in Japan had some problems to sell specific third party content from the get go, problems that then became stronger as time went by, due also to third party's slowness in bringing more important games on the system with a bigger frequency. Well, IMHO it's correlated to how Nintendo shaped up the userbase in its first year. Let's give a further look at Wii's first year lineup

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess {2006.12.02}
WarioWare: Smooth Moves {2006.12.02}
Wii Sports {2006.12.02}
Wii Play {2006.12.02}
Pokemon Battle Revolution {2006.12.14}
Excite Truck {2007.01.18}
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn {2007.02.22}
Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi {2007.03.08}
Super Paper Mario {2007.04.19}
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree {2007.04.26}
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast {2007.06.28}
Mario Party 8 {2007.07.26}
Endless Ocean {2007.08.02}
Mario Strikers Charged {2007.09.20}
Super Mario Galaxy {2007.11.1}
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games {2007.11.22}
Wii Fit {2007.12.1}

I've already talked about the major gap between important releases from Mario Party 8 to Super Mario Galaxy, but the other element I wanted to discuss is how casual-oriented is this first-party lineup. More specifically, the amount of more "casual-focused" (which is different from "core-focused" and "bridge games") titles among the major early content.

Wii Sports
Wii Play
WarioWare: Smooth Moves*
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Mario Party 8*
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Wii Fit

* these games are potentially a bit less casual-focused due to being parts of older franchises (especially MP8), but I suppose they still fit in this cathegory

Basically, over 1/3rd of Nintendo's first year lineup was made of casual-oriented games. This worked splendidly in attracting a big amount of customers pretty fast even in Japan, but I believe it also created a problem: Wii Japanese users were far more on the casual side than what we've seen in both US and Europe. Or, to put it better: Nintendo obtained to bring to the system both Nintendo-specific fans and more casual customers, but failed to attract other audiences in satisfactory ways. Again, third parties have their responsibilities by not embracing it as fast as they could, but it's not completely their fault because, aside from Dragon Quest Swords, the two RE games and the late port of Budokai Tenkaichi 2, several other games saw difficulties in selling on the system. And yes, the Wii first year lineup was basically identical in all territories, but while Americans and Europeans embraced it so much that the platform was able to sell different kinds of games from different franchises (even less known stuff), this didn't happen in Japan. IMHO, again, due to how the DS was already well established as the brand new hotness for everyone, and the PSP starting to gain more grounds as time went by. Personally, I believe the Western's preference for home systems by the less-casual audiences (not core, just less-casual) helped the Wii in having more types of customers from the get go.
As just said, Wii also obtained to attract the more classic Nintendo-fans, given how its first year lineup was also made of classic Nintendo franchises, with some important installments of major franchises (Zelda: TP, Mario Galaxy).

Now, let's see the Switch's lineup again

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild {2017.03.03}
1-2 Switch {2017.03.03}
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe {2017.04.28}
Arms {2017.06.16}
Splatoon 2 {2017.07.21}
Pokken Tournament DX {2017.09.22}
Super Mario Odyssey {2017.10.27}
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Fall 2017

As already said, 1-2 Switch is (for now) the only casual-oriented game here. But there's another difference to observe here. The composition of the lineup is rather interesting, because it has classic Nintendo franchises, but among them we have re-inventions of specific major brands. Zelda: Botw is an important re-invention of the franchise, and it caters to fans of big, sandbox/open-world experiences. Super Mario Odyssey, while using a different approach, is doing the same. Moreover, the important presence of online-multiplayer-focused games, as well as fighting games in the mix, plus Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Basically, Nintendo trying to attract different kinds of customers from the get-go. The Wii's lineup, while undoubtely strong and including some of the most shockingly huge games in the recent years, could be seen as lacking in variety from a less Nitnendo-enthusiast point of view. Switch's lineup is better on this specific front: not only classic franchises (also reinvented in some cases), but also new IPs, competitive games, and a JRPG that is probably Nintendo's own attempt to attract from early on the more classical RPG audience (see also how XB2 looks compared to XB and XBX). It's not a case that third party games like MHXX and Fire Emblem Warriors are coming so early in its lifespan, they are core-focused experiences trying to attract more of the hunting / Musou audience to the system (also, more classic experiences compared to Dragon Quest Sword and RE: The Umbrella Chronicles). The same for Pokken Tournament DX.

Basically, Switch's current first-party lineup is certainly not as mass-audience bombastic as the Wii's, but it's possible it's a better and more varied catalogue of titles for the kind of audiences that didn't make the jump to Wii back in 2007, the lack of which established a specific weak point of the sytem that then escalated later on (I don't think I need to remind you the size of the JRPG audience on Wii, for example). And it still seems to be attractive enough for a good amount of customers given the lines just to win lotteries (at least for now).

Turrican3

Personally, I believe the Western's preference for home systems by the less-casual audiences (not core, just less-casual) helped the Wii in having more types of customers from the get go.
The Wii history has always been fascinating to me (as you might have already read, I absolutely loved it)

Totally, unaltered anecdotal: I believe the system attracted *a lot* of core gamers as well, at least in the beginning. It was truly a breath of fresh air, people were excited for a new way of play, and many times deservedly so (IR pointing for example was a revolution that I hope will make a comeback sooner rather than later)

Hell, there's a reason we got the infamous 2 million sales for RE4 Wii Edition (and the subsequent outrage when Capcom smartly decided the audience must have wanted an on rail shooter after that...), for example, only to leave afterwards when it became clear most of the support was going to remain PS360-focused. Of course it was FAR more complicated than that, but I'll abstain from digressing.

Back to the Switch: there's no doubt Nintendo is playing it quite differently this time, both in terms of the system itself (I would have never ever thought they could try to market a single piece of hardware as their nextgen offering, props to them!) and the first year lineup.

I don't believe for a second they will stop catering to a more casual audience... I'm sure other stuff will come, sooner or later, but yes, right now the Switch seems definitely skewed toward so-called traditional demographics compared to the Wii. I hope they can keep a healthy balance between the two, because I think both play a quite important role in the console future.

casiopao

ARMS hitting 150k in 2 weeks is quite good. Lets see if more Switch owner join, will its number increase even longer.

I had some inkling that we can probably see a top 20 filled with tons of Nintendo Switch title at least this holiday just 3DS again lol.

Zedark

ARMS hitting 150k in 2 weeks is quite good. Lets see if more Switch owner join, will its number increase even longer.

I had some inkling that we can probably see a top 20 filled with tons of Nintendo Switch title at least this holiday just 3DS again lol.
I see what you did there ^.^

goldage

Banned
wii's audience made it so that third party titles sold well over a long time, time which third parties couldn't afford as they were firmly entrenched in the 360/ps3 eco system

switch will be the first time where nintendo can solely rely on their games to push the platform without needing third parties like they once did, third party support can only get better since the power gap isn't as important as it once was, especially with indies being such a big wild card going forward

Minsc

Gold Member
27k Switch from Famitsu?

Hmm, that would be in line with my post from last week then still.

Hardware was ~40k for ARMs launch, and fell to ~20k afterwards if those numbers are correct. So Splatoon 2's release month of Switch hardware to me sounds like less than 200k still, for the launch week (~75k) and subsequent weeks (~30k). I'm guessing that is fairly bad if true, but I just don't see them increasing the baseline supply at all, even around the holidays, I'd be shocked if they held a baseline more than double what the prior month was for December, we'll see.

L~A

I think retail will happen with the summer update with the "better together" features. That will allow the price of the retail release to go up as well.

Doubt it, there's always a certain delay between the time a game goes gold and the retail release. So even if the update is released in, let's say, August, the retail release wouldn't be before September.

There are random numbers from the blog like 26x2 or 33, but I don't know which games is he refering.

33 > Switch?
26 > ARMS Week 2?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hmm, that would be in line with my post from last week then still.

Hardware was ~40k for ARMs launch, and fell to ~20k afterwards if those numbers are correct. So Splatoon 2's release month of Switch hardware to me sounds like less than 200k still, for the launch week (~75k) and subsequent weeks (~30k). I'm guessing that is fairly bad if true, but I just don't see them increasing the baseline supply at all, even around the holidays, I'd be shocked if they held a baseline more than double what the prior month was for December, we'll see.

Hardware for Arms was 49k and it fell to 27k next week if you want to follow Famitsu.

L~A

Is there a chance Nintendo says something of ARMS performance this week at the shareholders meeting?

Unless an investor specifically asks about it, zero.

Meeting will have:

1) vote (election and re-election of directors, among others)
2) Q&A

There's no presentation during this meeting. In fact, the next presentation is in October following Q1+2 results, since there's no meeting at all for Q1.

Mpl90

Hmm only 22k Switchs on MC. Thought it might be higher after stuff in this thread.

Ok, what the fuck happened with all those availability reports, then. Not trustworthy, then.

L~A

Media Create:

Switch 22,361
PS4 19,095
New3DS LL 11,474
PS4 Pro 6,585
Vita 4,077
2DS 2,545
New3DS 710
Xbox One 265
PS3 201
Wii U 150

28k for ARMS
26k for Alliance Alive

Mpl90

Lol this stock issue is really gonna be a problem in Japan especially when Splatoon comes out.

I thought this week would've seen Switch around 30k again. 22k means they must've been accumulating far more stock for Splatoon 2 than anticipated. I mean, it's inevitable they'll have a much bigger amount of stock, otherwise they wouldn't have a bundle coming.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hardware for Arms was 49k and it fell to 27k next week if you want to follow Famitsu.

Yeah, so my guesses were very close. In the 40s for ARMs and 20s for the following week. Close enough to not instill any confidence in me for Splatoon 2 beyond what I wrote.

Top Bottom