• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2012 (Jun 18 - Jun 24)

Celine

Since I haven't been in Media Create threads in years:

03./01. [PSV] Persona 4: The Golden (Atlus Co.) - 29,293 / 166,369 (-79%) Successful (Persona contiue to be Atlus strongest IP)
08./07. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open (Nintendo) - 13,036 / 198,047 (-27%) Not successful (Mario Tennis had seen better times, but it will depend on the legs ...)
17./14. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 G (Capcom) - 4,269 / 1,481,643 (-23%) Successful (Beat Capcom known expectation)
18./13. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo) - 3,972 / 417,760 (-31%) Successful (First FE >400K in more than a decade)

How do these compare to prior releases and can they be considered successful?
CCCP

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Pokemon on DS was a miscalculation, IMO.

Look at the GIANT numbers it did, with a minimal 3DS hardware boost. Everyone in Japan already has a DS (probably 3 of them). No one is going to buy a 3DS for B/W 2, they're just playing it on their DS.

What kind of bump would 3DS have gotten if it had a system exclusive Pokemon game.

Well, in Japan I don't think it's that a big of a deal in the long scheme of things. But Europe and NA could benefit GREATLY from a 3DS exclusive Pokemon, and the sooner the better. That's where I think B&W2 being a DS game was a miscalculation from Nintendo (though admittly we have no real information about profit margins, development time, if a original 3DS Pokemon is being worked on as well, etc.).

saichi

White VITA should give VITA a bump this week (along with MGS Collection) then it's a drought until end of August for Miku... maybe one of the games between now and Miku can surprise

Celine

Look at the GIANT numbers it did, with a minimal 3DS hardware boost. Everyone in Japan already has a DS (probably 3 of them). No one is going to buy a 3DS for B/W 2, they're just playing it on their DS.

What kind of bump would 3DS have gotten if it had a system exclusive Pokemon game.
Disagree.
Game Freak is already at work in developing Pokemon 3DS along side BW2.
BW2 is basically free money.

Wonder if Nintendo risk to burn the series though.

It would be (kinda) like expecting massive Vita sales because Monster Hunter Portable 3rd V2 came out on PSP and was available on PSN, no?

Vita has no backward compatibility though. But yeah I don't think anyone expected anything crazy, but its small.

It was very strange timing for such an announcement. But I guess if you waited until after B&W2's launch you would have a bunch of new 3DS owners with buyers remorse.

Possibly they decided they wanted people to buy XL more (maybe its a less loss making or actually profitable system at this time?) and so let customers know so they would hold off.

But then again, as a 3DS exclusive it would have sold no where near 1.6 million first week, not with such a comparatively little user-base.

When B&W2 was first announced on DS at once I was puzzled at their arguable choice, but in hindsight they were right after all imo.

A full-fledged 3DS game would have cost much more money to be built up from scratch, unlike B&WII, and wouldn't have sold much better than this one, so all being conbsidered they had better wait till the userbase grows up to a certain level, and I'm not talking just about Japan but in a global perspective.

Bruno MB

Mario Tennis series:

[N64] Mario Tennis 64 (Nintendo) {2000.07.21} - 213,422 / 969,888
[NGB] Mario Tennis GB (Nintendo) {2000.10.30} - 108,870 / 357,983
[GCN] Mario Tennis (Nintendo) {2004.10.28} - 139,826 / 377,172
[GBA] Mario Tennis: Power Tour (Nintendo) {2005.09.13} - 42,857 / 135,815
[Wii] New Play Control! Mario Tennis GC (Nintendo) {2009.01.15} - 55,391 / 236,715
[3DS] Mario Tennis Open (Nintendo) {2012.05.24} - 13,036 / 198,047 (-27%)

Mario Tennis Open is a very poor effort from Nintendo, considering this, it is selling well. It will end up selling 300,000 units.

wotta

Time Travelers next month should give it a bit of a bump, but it's out on 3DS and PSP too. Project Diva f in August should see a decent rise.

MGS HD is out this week, that should do ok for Vita in Japan. The White Vita is also out this week, so that could explain the drop down in sales as people wait for the white model.

Glass Rebel

P4G is doing better than P3P, Mario Tennis Open is doing worse than the previous console versions, but better than the previous portable version. MH3G is doing much worse than MHP3, FE is doing much better than the previous few portable releases. All 4 games should be considered successful.

Thank you very much. Good to see Persona 4 and Fire Emblem doing good.

I assume MH3G's lower performance can be attributed to the smaller userbase so I really wonder how MH4 will do.

Celine

White VITA should give VITA a bump this week (along with MGS Collection) then it's a drought until end of August for Miku... maybe one of the games between now and Miku can surprise
What Vita games are scheduled in that timeframe?

Thank you very much. Good to see Persona 4 and Fire Emblem doing good.

I assume MH3G's lower performance can be attributed to the smaller userbase so I really wonder how MH4 will do.

MH 4 will sell in the range of 2.4 - 3 million IMO. MH 4G will probably be where MH on 3DS hits its real stride.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I feel bad for those nearly 5000 people who bought Steel Battalion.

Is Tokyo Jungle still the #1 selling game too on PSN? Nice to see that game do well.

duckroll

MH 4 will sell in the range of 2.4 - 3 million IMO. MH 4G will probably be where MH on 3DS hits its real stride.

Let's not make predictions before we know:
- when MH4 is coming out
- what MH4 is really like
- what else Capcom releases on 3DS between now and MH4

Lots of factors which could change expectations very quickly. It's pointless to make a guess without any information at all.

DR2K

Banned
3DS really needed the hardware boost more than Pokeman needed the software boost. Really dumb on Nintendo's part.

kswiston

79% isn't huge?

Famitsu Numbers (week 1 to week 2)

Persona PSP - 95.4k -> 13.8k (86% Drop)
Persona 2 IS PSP - 62k - 10.2k (84% Drop)
Persona 2 EP PSP - 28.2k -> 5.3k (81% Drop)
Persona 3 Portable - 108k -> 43.7k (60% Drop)

Persona 4 Portable had a better drop than all of the above except P3P. It had a much stronger first week than P3P though, making up for it.

saichi

Let's not make predictions before we know:
- when MH4 is coming out
- what MH4 is really like
- what else Capcom releases on 3DS between now and MH4

Lots of factors which could change expectations very quickly. It's pointless to make a guess without any information at all.

B-b-but... You asked me how FFXV will sell!

3DS really needed the hardware boost more than Pokeman needed the software boost. Really dumb on Nintendo's part.

You are assuming that it was Nintendo that decided on BW2 for DS.

I have heavy doubts about that.

In any case, I suspect the choice was between nothing this year and a 3DS title next year, or BW2 this year and a 3DS title next year.

Nibel

Persona 4 Portable had a better drop than all of the above except P3P. It had a much stronger first week than P3P though, making up for it.

But those are all huge drops..

Spiegel

P3P had a smaller second week drop because it was released on a sunday

nordique

Is it not backwards compatible with PSN titles (hence my "came out on PSN" bit)?

Vita is not backwards compatible with the PSP, in the same way the 3DS is fully backwards compatible with the DS

You cannot buy a PSP UMD and put it in your Vita; you could get a title off PSN but retail storefronts are still where majority of people do their purchases

and the PSP selection on PSN for Vita is tiny compared to the entire PSP lineup.

Whereas with the 3DS, you can still buy a DS title and it will work in your 3DS. You don't need the original system at all if you purchase software.

The PSN comparison is not really relevant in that regard, thus the entire comparison isn't accurate

liger05

The 3DS wasnt desperate for Pokeman to shift units. I am surprised it didnt shift more but its not a disaster.

Bruno MB

Dragon Quest Monsters (4th week sales)

[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - 6,994 / 922,994 (ultra supply constrained)
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 61,998 / 1,064,599
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D - 58,228 / 721,174

Bonus:

[NDS] Final Fantasy III - 57,057 / 655,533

liger05

As many predicted the Vita went right back to where it was prior to Persona.

I think people get way too excited when they see they Vita bump for 1 week!!

Persona 3 had only one day of sales.

Overall, Persona 4 is performing like a Persona game.

kswiston

But those are all huge drops..

You need to take context into consideration. Rpgs routinely drop 75-90% in week 2. Even if a 79% week to drop would be horrible for something like Mario Kart, it's pretty standard for a jrpgs. Final Fantasy and Tales titles have had drops in the 85-90% range.

P3P had a smaller second week drop because it was released on a sunday

Well there you go. Persona 4's drop is on the better side of what was expected.

Dragon Quest Monsters (4th week sales)

[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - 6,994 / 922,994 (ultra supply constrained)
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 61,998 / 1,064,599
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D - 58,228 / 721,174

Bonus:

[NDS] Final Fantasy III - 57,057 / 655,533

Not bad, considering the installed base and the fact that TW is de-facto a remake. Square Enix should make a full and new DQM for 3DS asap (I mean, in a year and a half).

Taurus

270909744_cd078aad8f.jpg

Possible 3DS bump got probably destroyed by 3DS XL announcement. Or not.

Top Bottom