• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2012 (Jun 18 - Jun 24)

I think anyone expecting a 3DS bump from Pokemon was misguided. 2 mediocre apps (that you have to pay for) we're never going to do it.

Now if this had been an actual 3DS game, the numbers would have been huge.

people say the vita is doing poorly, but there are twice as many games in the top 20 as there are games on the best-selling handheld in japan, and hardware sold nearly 10x the amount even when the best-selling hardware got a 50% boost.

I am having difficulty understanding this.

MGS HD is out this week, that should do ok for Vita in Japan. The White Vita is also out this week, so that could explain the drop down in sales as people wait for the white model.

So MGS HD came out in the west before it came out in japan? I thought it was the other way around this time? Considering how many went in for persona 4, I wouldn't be surprised if MGS also does well.

Vita is not backwards compatible with the PSP, in the same way the 3DS is fully backwards compatible with the DS

You cannot buy a PSP UMD and put it in your Vita; you could get a title off PSN but retail storefronts are still where majority of people do their purchases

and the PSP selection on PSN for Vita is tiny compared to the entire PSP lineup.

Whereas with the 3DS, you can still buy a DS title and it will work in your 3DS. You don't need the original system at all if you purchase software. The PSN comparison is not really relevant in that regard.

TBH people do not want nor care for the "entire" PSP line up. I loved my PSP and owned many games but I think the Vita can play most of the titles that people would want with the exception of the really big SE titles.

Boney

Banned
You are assuming that it was Nintendo that decided on BW2 for DS.

I have heavy doubts about that.

In any case, I suspect the choice was between nothing this year and a 3DS title next year, or BW2 this year and a 3DS title next year.

Gamefreaks B team can't make good games, so why poison the well on 3DS Pokemon

Besides, having B&W2 release in 2013 wouldn't be the smartest when you can have this now and a new Pokemon 3DS holiday 2013.

Isn't the expression have the cake and eat it too?

Cygnus X-1

No 3DS bump. I'm quite surprised. This means that the DS audience still is very active in Japan and that not so many are ready to shift on the new handheld.

No 3DS bump. I'm quite surprised. This means that the DS audience still is very active in Japan and that not so many are ready to shift on the new handheld.

B2/W2 is also the sequel of a DS game. It's not like a third version. It is mainly bought by people who owned the original B/W.

So how does Vita Gundam game compare in sales to the 3DS Gundam game?

Gundam: The 3D Battle - 62,390 (Maybe plus a few hundred to a thousand units or so, these are from the end of last year)

[PSV] Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny (Namco Bandai) - 3,668 / 52,790 (-58%)

P4tG is going to come fairly close to P3P's 208K total, huh. Userbase ain't everything.

Worth keeping in mind that digital sales are A Bigger Thing on the Vita. There's a good chance sales are higher still than what we can see from retailers. So, yeah, even with the expected second-week drop, it'll handily outperform P3P.

Mr Swine

Banned
Gundam: The 3D Battle - 62,390 (Maybe plus a few hundred to a thousand units or so, these are from the end of last year)

[PSV] Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny (Namco Bandai) - 3,668 / 52,790 (-58%)

Ok, thanks! I wonder if Bandai will pu the next game on Vita or 3DS when sales are similar

mclem

Wow, absolutely no 3DS bump from Pokemon. Though I suppose the news of the XL might be discouraging people from purchasing.

I guess the big hint will be if there's a significant Pokemon boost when the LL comes out. Although I guess they could easily pick up the game now to play on their DS in the meantime.

donny2112

Worth keeping in mind that digital sales are A Bigger Thing on the Vita.

It's not worth discussing without numbers, though. As we saw with the PSN ratings last week for Vita games, it's not consistent across titles, so the best we can hope for is one-off updates.

beril

I guess the big hint will be if there's a significant Pokemon boost when the LL comes out. Although I guess they could easily pick up the game now to play on their DS in the meantime.

Or we'll just see if there's a bigger than normal drop for the 3DS next week and a lower baseline until the XL hits

mclem

Crazy idea, tinfoil hat at the ready:

I'd be very interested to know what *Capcom* think of these numbers.

People have suggested in various places that it might be worth releasing a new Monster Hunter title on PSP in the hopes of building userbase on the Vita.

Nintendo now have a ready-made example to show Capcom about why that's a bad idea. If Pokemon can't push a significant bump, with full BC available and on a system that's already got a lot going for it, how can you expect MH to drive Vita sales?

Food for thought for Capcom?

test_account

XP-39C²

People have suggested in various places that it might be worth releasing a new Monster Hunter title on PSP in the hopes of building userbase on the Vita.

Nintendo now have a ready-made example to show Capcom about why that's a bad idea. If Pokemon can't push a significant bump, with full BC available and on a system that's already got a lot going for it, how can you expect MH to drive Vita sales?

Why have people suggested this? Only advantage is that you can map the front buttons to the 2nd analog stick on Vita (and having a bigger screen as well).

M-PG71C

I expected as much really. Pokemon B/W 2 is not a 3DS title, its not going to push 3DS sales. But, it does sell across all iterations of DS and that is probably what NCL cared about the most. Sales are strong and are absolutely fantastic.

A 3DS Pokemon game is going to explode out of the gates (in relativity to its userbase, of course).

Anth0ny

No bump at all for 3DS or DS. Regardless, those Pokemon numbers are insane.

When the 3DS Pokemons are released sometime next year... shit will get really real.

nordique

TBH people do not want nor care for the "entire" PSP line up. I loved my PSP and owned many games but I think the Vita can play most of the titles that people would want with the exception of the really big SE titles.

Thats great. Doesn't change the point though. Vita "backwards" compatibility vs. 3DS backwards compatibility is comparing apples to oranges.

... You're really basing this on a DS Pokemon game, plus MH3G is still showing great legs and is nearing the 1.5 million mark on a handheld that is just over a year old. (With a userbase of over 6 million, so 1 in 4 3DS owners have the game)

What is this I don't even.

matmanx1

This weeks numbers all seem pretty normal. The big names are holding up well and the drops are completely in line with expectations.

I wonder how much of a bump the Vita will get with the white system and if it will have any momentum at all going in to a very barren July in terms of retail releases.

I also expect strong results from the crop of notable 3DS titles in the next month like Rune Factory because it seems like the hardware is really pushing software sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just to give perspective with a different market, 3DS just broke 1 million sold in France this week. It took Nintendo 15 months here.

Source? And is it good compared to other consoles?

Not bad, considering the installed base and the fact that TW is de-facto a remake. Square Enix should make a full and new DQM for 3DS asap (I mean, in a year and a half).

Install base? DQMJ was released in late 2006 in Japan. It had a bigger userbase by then for sure and 3DS in general is tracking below DS week to week by quite a lot now but it wasn't such a huge difference to explain a significant gap in sales.

Hero

Good sales for Pokemon but as already noted, no significant boost for 3DS sales. Could also have been stifled by the 3DS LL announcement.

P4G dropped like a rock, can't believe people thought it would seriously stick around or prevent PSV from slipping downwards again.

Is a 3DS Pokemon likely for 2013?

Install base? DQMJ was released in late 2006 in Japan. It had a bigger userbase by then for sure and 3DS in general is tracking below DS week to week by quite a lot now but it wasn't such a huge difference to explain a significant gap in sales.

With such big numbers, installed base is quite important, imo. Joker was released on 14 million DS units, more than double current 3DS LTD + after the main chapter of Pokémon, which userbase overlaps to some extent with Dragon Quest Monsters one.

VegaNine

I understand that people here wanted a 3DS Pokemon, and I understand that the drama of Media Create is in seeing how much hardware is pushed by big games.

But some games aren't designed to push hardware—they're designed because there's an easy-money market that already exists. With the DS evaporating (and with a gap in the Pokemon schedule), Nintendo had one last chance to ring a huge audience dry with the old assets, and they took it. Not because it would sell 3DS's, but because it was good business. And so it was: they've now made fortune on a budget that was mostly advertising. And it didn't give the 3DS any less clout—it's still outselling its predecessor 40:1, and killing the competition, with the biggest games yet to come.

B&W2 is hurting nothing, nor is it infringing on a possible 3DS Pokemon. Those games will come when they're needed (in great numbers) and each one of them will sell a bitchload of hardware.

test_account

XP-39C²
P4G dropped like a rock, can't believe people thought it would seriously stick around or prevent PSV from slipping downwards again.
I dont think that anyone said this. Drops pretty much always happeneds after bigger releases, so i cant think that anyone thought that the Vita numbers wouldnt drop this week, especially not with the white Vita coming out this week.

Is a 3DS Pokemon likely for 2013?
I think it's possible. New Pokemon games don't usually drop until the 2nd year of a system. Also the B2/W2 team was the remake team. So the main team that did B/W hasn't released anything since September 2010 so 3 years development time seems reasonable. Although who knows for sure.

Last week's conventional wisdom : "Of course Pokemon will boost 3DS, the sky's the limit. 100k+ easy!"

This week: "Of course Pokemon wouldn't boost 3DS that month, it's for a different system."

Even if the people are different, very few ever bothered to question their logic until after the fact.

As for P4, the same conventional wisdom had it doing less than 100k first week, now 160k after 2 and being by far the best performing portable Persona is a huge disappointment to some here. Moreover, the same conventional wisdom was placing DQM at between 900k-1 million after 5 weeks.

Last week's conventional wisdom : "Of course Pokemon will boost 3DS, the sky's the limit. 100k+ easy!"

This week: "Of course Pokemon wouldn't boost 3DS that month, it's for a different system."

Even if the people are different, very few ever bothered to question their logic until after the fact.

As for P4, the same conventional wisdom had it doing less than 100k first week, now 160k after 2 and being by far the best performing portable Persona is a huge disappointment to some here. Moreover, the same conventional wisdom was placing DQM at between 900k-1 million after 5 weeks.

In particular, who said what, before and after?

I expected more by 3DS, for example, but seeing its numbers I am not saying the result is catastrophic but quite obvious + 3DS XL has been just announced.

DrWong

Source? And is it good compared to other consoles?

http://www.gamescharts.fr/2012/06/chiffres-exclusifs-les-ventes-de-nintendo-en-france/

I don't know compared to the other consoles but it's in line with DS performance (15 month to top the million, in June 2006) if I remember well. This news deserves a different thread (or an update of the "France sales" thread created a few month ago). There's other datas (Kid Icarus Uprising > 50k, which is fine) in this article. If nobody translate it I'll do it later.

hiska-kun

New releases {2012.06.28}

[3DS] Culdcept <TBL> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Detective Jinguuji Saburo: Ronde Revenge <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥5.040)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita Crystal White Wi-Fi <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥24.980)
[PSV] PlayStation Vita Crystal White 3G/Wi-Fi <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥29.980)
[PSV] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition <ADV> (Konami) (¥4.980)

[PSV] NextRev: Kihon Jouhou Gijutsusha Shiken <EDU> (Media-5) (¥5.800)
[PSV] NextRev: Ouyou Jouhou Gijutsusha Shiken <EDU> (Media-5) (¥5.800)
[PSV] NextRev: IT Passport Shiken <EDU> (Media-5) (¥5.800)

[PSP] Generation of Chaos 6 # <RPG> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Generation of Chaos 6 [Limited Edition] <RPG> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Strike Witches: Shirogane no Tsubasa # <STG> (Kadokawa Shoten) (¥6.279)
[PSP] Strike Witches: Shirogane no Tsubasa [Limited Edition] <STG> (Kadokawa Shoten) (¥10.479)
[PSP] Arabians Lost: The Engagement on the Desert # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.300)
[PSP] Arabians Lost: The Engagement on the Desert [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥8.925)
[PSP] Unending Bloody Call # <ADV> (Asgard) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Unending Bloody Call [First Press Limited Edition] <ADV> (Asgard) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun Re:Therapy # <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun Re:Therapy [Limited Edition] <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Dies Irae: Amantes Amentes # <ADV> (Views) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Dies Irae: Amantes Amentes [First Press Limited Edition] <ADV> (Views) (¥9.240)
[PSP] Elminage II: The Twin Goddesses and the Land of Destiny (Good Price) <RPG> (Starfish SD) (¥3.570)

[WII] Fatal Frame 2: Wii Edition <ADV> (Nintendo) (¥6.800)

[PS3] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight <RPG> (Gust) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight [Premium Box] <RPG> (Gust) (¥10.290)

[PS3] .hack: Sekai no Mukou ni + Versus - Hybrid Pack # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.140)
[PS3] .hack: Sekai no Mukou ni + Versus - Hybrid Pack [The World Edition] <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.500)
[PS3] Robotics;Notes # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Robotics;Notes [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.240)

[PS3] Hakuoki: Reimeiroku Nagorigusa # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Hakuoki: Reimeiroku Nagorigusa [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)
[PS3] Resident Evil Chronicles HD Selection <STG> (Capcom) (¥4.990)
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.9 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.800)

[360] Robotics;Notes # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[360] Robotics;Notes [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.240)

[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Platinum Collection) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.800)

Next week will be interesting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think this week proves once and for all that Famitsu is the superior tracker to Media Create, on account of the fact that Tokyo Jungle has a higher rank in Famitsu.

Top Bottom