• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2012 (Jun 18 - Jun 24)

FoneBone

I think everyone would agree that MHP3G on PSP would've sold significantly more than MH3G has on 3DS. However as charlequin laid out so thoroughly months ago, Capcom had to start transitioning the userbase eventually, and the longer they waited, the longer the uncertainty of which direction (Vita or 3DS) the fanbase should go. Capcom needed to set a clear direction early to avoid any unintentional userbase splits while they kept mum on the direction for the next game. They effectively sacrificed short-term sales in a 3G game in order to have a firmer foundation when 4 comes out.

I don't think 3G ever would have existed as anything other than a transition title, so I'm not even sure dubbing it a sacrifice is accurate.

Road

Monster Hunter + Capcom not letting a game stop selling before the next came out made me want to go back to look at the numbers.

Monster Hunter Portable 2 was still in the Top 30 (~8K/week) when Monster Hunter 2G came out. MHP2, then died.
MHP2G was still in the top 30 (~7K that week) two weeks before MHP2G (BEST) came out. MHP2G, then died.
MHP2G (BEST) was still in the top 30 (~8K that week) two weeks before MHP2G (BEST Reprint) came out. MHP2G (BEST), then died.
MHP2G (BEST Reprint) was still in the Top 30 (~6K that week) one week before MHP3rd came out. MHP2G (BEST Reprint), then died.
MHP3rd was still in the Top 30 (~3K that week, ~5K the week before) two weeks before MHP3rd (BEST) came out. MHP3rd, then died.

MHP3rd (BEST) has stayed pretty consistent (if not particularly high weekly sales) despite MH3G, though. Probably due to the different system and (obviously) not all the players migrating over, yet. I guess we can expect MH3G to die once MH3G (BEST) comes out. Maybe October? Got to give a little time for the BEST version to sell before MH4 comes out, after all.

There's another Best for MHP2G coming out this month, it will kill MH3G.

Erethian

It would be 3rdG instead. Maybe not exactly the same game, but the same thing, so to speak.

3G didn't preclude Portable 3rd G from existing, if Capcom had really wanted to go that way. They're different games.

And Chris made a good point that the bottom is falling out of PSP software sales for a lot of franchises, I doubt MH would have been immune to that either.

It would be 3rdG instead. Maybe not exactly the same game, but the same thing, so to speak.
Not really though, the reason Capcom were able to hand 3G off to 8ing was that they could mostly just add/integrate the extra content already developed for 3rd (monsters/weapons/armor/etc) back into Tri. If Capcom did a 3rdG, they'd have had to actually develop new content for it, meaning doing it inhouse, raising costs and eating resources that probably went to MH4 right away. 3G is essentially a "freebie", more in line with MHG Wii than what a 3rdG would be.

If 3DS cannibalized anything, it was more likely 3G Wii than another PSP release. The entire premise ("MH3G would've sold more on PSP") is faulty because such a product wouldn't exist.

Nekki

The fact that the 3ds is the successor of the ds doesn't guarantee a bigger success for capcom. Heck having their marquee brand on a lower spec ed machine than other available and competing platforms, leave them open for the competition to push them out as the go to brand for that type of experiences. That's a risk they are taking by not having the game on PSvita, that can bite them in the ass.

Pokemon would like to have a word with you.

test_account

XP-39C²
3G didn't preclude Portable 3rd G from existing, if Capcom had really wanted to go that way. They're different games.

And Chris made a good point that the bottom is falling out of PSP software sales for a lot of franchises, I doubt MH would have been immune to that either.
Sure, but i think that Capcom dont want to go that way. One arguement that have been used a few times is that it wouldnt make much sense to make multiply portable MH games at the same time (not counting Poka Village). It looks like Capcom agree with this.

But the question i replied to was if TriG couldnt be on PSP because it is based on the Wii game. That can be true, but this wouldnt stop 3rdG from exciting instead. That would just be a different business decition. When i said "the same thing", i'm not directly comparing how the games would be, but the situation of a new MH game. 3rdG would have been seen as the next installment just like TriG, so there wouldnt be much difference there.

About being immune, very hard to say regarding such a big franchise as MH. It is possible, but i think people have easier to drop other games than MH. But who knows.

Not really though, the reason Capcom were able to hand 3G off to 8ing was that they could mostly just add/integrate the extra content already developed for 3rd (monsters/weapons/armor/etc) back into Tri. If Capcom did a 3rdG, they'd have had to actually develop new content for it, meaning doing it inhouse, raising costs and eating resources that probably went to MH4 right away. 3G is essentially a "freebie", more in line with MHG Wii than what a 3rdG would be.

If 3DS cannibalized anything, it was more likely 3G Wii than another PSP release. The entire premise ("MH3G would've sold more on PSP") is faulty because such a product wouldn't exist.
I'm only talking about that both games would have been seen as the next MH game. But is it really that little content added to TriG? Just mostly stuff taken from 3rd and being put into MH3? I thought it had some noticeable amount of new content.

MHG Wii is basically just a PS2 port as far as i know. I dont think that it has any new content. If i remember correctly, MHG Wii doesnt even support motion controls.

About being a "freebie", how do you mean? That not much work was put into it? I think that TriG was in developement for at least one year. How many work hours that was put into the game is what matters to most regarding costs. I have no idea how many people who worked on it though.

Indeed, it just comes down to speculation in this case. Me personally, i never said that it would sell better, only that it is a possibiltiy. We will never know this about any games, unless we have a time machine and are able to change which system the game is being released on :)

I dont really see how Type 0 Vita would be a megaton. Type 1 sure, but a Type 0 rerelease doesn't seem like it would be anything impactful. Maybe in the west since it hasn't released there yet.

As for TGS and Vita I don't think the outlook is that grim for the device. I don't expect publishers to come out with a huge barrage of 500k+ selling franchises because if they existed I imagine Sony would wantpeople to know that the biggest game on track for the system isn't a PS2 update that's also on the PS3. However, I do think there won't be a complete lack of announcements in some kind of doom scenario. The system has shown it can sell games when publishers put the right stuff on it. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Atlus request a Persona 4 Arena port for example.

I'm only talking about that both games would have been seen as the next MH game. But is it really that little content added to TriG? Just mostly stuff taken from 3rd and being put into MH3? I thought it had some noticeable amount of new content.

MHG Wii is basically just a PS2 port as far as i know. I dont think that it has any new content. If i remember correctly, MHG Wii doesnt even support motion controls.

About being a "freebie", how do you mean? That not much work was put into it? I think that TriG was in developement for at least one year. How many work hours that was put into the game is what matters to most regarding costs. I have no idea how many people who worked on it though.
I mean MH3G is a "freebie" because it's just repacked old content which was outsourced to another developer to do. Even though it was positioned externally as the "next" mainline release (though with just 1.2m expected I'd say even that's debatable) it was never positioned as the next "mainline" internally. And 3G was developed in about 9 months afaik, though planning started a little earlier (Dec 2010).

A 3rdG would have been a whole different situation. It would've been Capcom themselves developing, it would've meant actual new content and it would've meant MH4 delayed.

Road

Famitsu No. 1229

first week / LTD (up to 10/06/2012)

Dragon Quest Monsters

[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland (Enix) {1998-09-25} - 333,114 / 1,911,107
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey (Enix) {2001-03-09} - 501,081 / 1,253,386
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (Enix) {2001-04-12} - 133,723 / 480,797
[PS1] Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 (Enix) {2002-05-30} - 132,479 / 294,758
[GBA] Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (Square Enix) {2003-03-29} - 210,427 / 593,812
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) {2006-12-28} - 633,084 / 1,467,179
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (Square Enix) {2010-04-28} - 682,014 / 1,284,618
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional (Square Enix) {2011-03-31} - 168,740 / 541,020

PlayStation C.A.M.P

[PSP] What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!? 2 (SCE) {2008-10-16} - 62,224 / 174,954
[PSP] What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!? (SCE) {2007-12-06} - 28,558 / 138,382
[PSP] What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!? 3D (SCE) {2010-03-11} - 38,574 / 97,832
[PS3] Beat Sketcher (SCE) {2010-10-21} - 20,165 / 88,627
[PSP] Echochrome (SCE) {2008-03-19} - 24,974 / 82,348
[PSP] Patchwork Heroes (SCE) {2010-02-18} - 6,661 / 30,058
[PSP] MyStylist (SCE) {2008-02-28} - 2,965 / 10,788
[PSP] Diamond and the Sound of a Gun Shot (SCE) {2009-06-18} - 2,402 / 8,324

And Garaph going crazy again (problem on software group pages): http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=192 =P

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I just realized PSO2 Vita and MH4 are planned for the same period (spring 2013). I wonder if Sega will move or just go for suicide?
So you think they'll just pull a Scamco then? Launch alongside the genre king at watch as it kills their own sales?

I feel you're overestimating the relevance of the Vita to PSO2's target audience.

Here was their success during the beta:

AndriaSang said:
Official service for Phantasy Star Online 2 will begin on July 4 at 14:00, Sega said today. The currently running opening open beta test will end on the previous day at 11:00.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is free-to-download-and-play, meaning you'll be able to download the client for free and play for free. To make in-game purchases, you'll use "Arcs Cash." Sales of Arcs Cash will begin at 15:00 on July 3.

For those who like package versions of their Phantasy Stars, Sega will offer the Phantasy Star Online 2 Premium Package. Set for release on September 13 at ¥6,279, this package release includes a game install disc and download codes for a set of five original weapons and a "Mag Evolution Device."

Going along with today's announcement, Sega released a new trailer for the game. View it here:

Registered IDs for the PSO2 open beta, which began on June 21, has crossed the 500,000 mark, Sega also said today. This, according to the company's own figures, makes it the largest scale open beta test in Japanese history. The game has reached a maximum simultaneous connection total of 80,000 players.
Source: http://andriasang.com/con1r8/pso2_service/

To put that 80,000 concurrent users into perspective, here are the peak global concurrent users for the most played game on Steam worldwide today:

steamconcurrentlyxu9.png

The Vita version is more of a value add to their gigantic potential PC userbase, especially when we consider the international launch of the title. There isn't much incentive to worry about the release date of a 6-9+ month late port unless they *really* feel they can sell a lot of new retail bundles to people who have never played before.

It would kind of be like being worried that the console version of TF2 F2P was launching next to Call of Duty. I mean, yeah, I guess it's somewhat sub optimal, but I'm not sure they'd be that concerned given the context of what it is.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So you are OK with splitting the user base if it goes to 3ds but not the other way around, you're making no effort to hide your bias.

Right cause MH has no effect in moving hardware, oh wait PSP proves you're wrong.

Wow you've made me laugh, thanks for that.

You do that constantly, so happy to give back for once.
With how things have panned out it would now make zero sense for Capcom to put MH4 also on Vita, sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Dat user base argument. That's why it has sold more than previous iterations, oh wait nevermind. User base doesn't equal audience. Audiences are the ones that buy games, consume targeted products, are a known quantity, a user base is just there, being bigger doesn't mean that the audience for your type of media is bigger as well. See TOV on PS3. See MH on PSP.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Oh god

TGS and Vita? IIRC, software house they don't announce a lot of games on TGS anymore. Last year, the only big announcement was Dragon Quest Monsters for 3DS. If companies has something in development, they should have confirmed some months ago.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TGS and Vita? IIRC, software house they don't announce a lot of games on TGS anymore. Last year, the only big announcement was Dragon Quest Monsters for 3DS. If companies has something in development, they should have confirmed some months ago.

The 4-6 weeks leading up to TGS tend to have a lot of announcements in the same way May has a lot of game announcements in the West.

That said, I wouldn't expect many Vita announcements since that is a platform in desperate need of announcements yet doesn't even get logo announcements from Japan right now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think everyone would agree that MHP3G on PSP would've sold significantly more than MH3G has on 3DS. However as charlequin laid out so thoroughly months ago, Capcom had to start transitioning the userbase eventually, and the longer they waited, the longer the uncertainty of which direction (Vita or 3DS) the fanbase should go. Capcom needed to set a clear direction early to avoid any unintentional userbase splits while they kept mum on the direction for the next game. They effectively sacrificed short-term sales in a 3G game in order to have a firmer foundation when 4 comes out.

I agree.
I would just add another tip: the only console where MH did not come last gen was the Nintendo DS.
I really and strongly think that the series will not be Nintendo esclusive at all, in the future.
So, they are really focusing right know on the most successfull console (and this was predictable, not as for the DS back in the days), with a transitional title that is selling very well in order to build up a fanbase overthere.
Then in the future they'll spread the brand all over the market, I'm quite sure about this. Probably not with MH4 but with other titles/subtitles

Takao

Banned
I'm going to switch to my US PSN account so I'm going to dump some info here:

Vita Game Rankings
1. Metal Gear Solid HD Edition - 219 ratings
2. Assault Gunners* - 265 ratings

3. Persona 4: The Golden - 1803 ratings
4. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny - 621 ratings
5. Escape Plan* - 1419 ratings
6. Ciel No Surge - 2470 ratings
7. Ragnarok Odyssey - 2474 ratings
8. Gravity Daze - 5329 ratings
9. Hot Shots Golf 6 - 2484 ratings
10. New Little King's Story - 769 ratings

* denotes PSN-only release

Ratings figures are cumulative totals as of July 3, 2012. Releases for the week of June 28 in bold.

I'm going to switch to my US PSN account so I'm going to dump some info here:

Vita Game Rankings
1. Metal Gear Solid HD Edition - 219 ratings
2. Assault Gunners* - 265 ratings

3. Persona 4: The Golden - 1803 ratings
4. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny - 621 ratings
5. Escape Plan* - 1419 ratings
6. Ciel No Surge - 2470 ratings
7. Ragnarok Odyssey - 2474 ratings
8. Gravity Daze - 5329 ratings
9. Hot Shots Golf 6 - 2484 ratings
10. New Little King's Story - 769 ratings

* denotes PSN-only release

Ratings figures are cumulative totals as of July 3, 2012. Releases for the week of June 28 in bold.

You meant JPN account? The EU store has somewhere in the 300 ratings for MGS HD.

The 4-6 weeks leading up to TGS tend to have a lot of announcements in the same way May has a lot of game announcements in the West.

That said, I wouldn't expect many Vita announcements since that is a platform in desperate need of announcements yet doesn't even get logo announcements from Japan right now.

You're right.
Indeed, Monster Hunter 3G was announced a week before TGS and then was one of the biggest games of the event.

Btw, if software houses do have games, why do not they announce them? I mean, 3DS got many announcements during its not-so-good period last year (Theatrhythm, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, also Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest Heroes 3) despite having a pretty consistent future line-up also before the launch (Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, etc.).

I agree.
I would just add another tip: the only console where MH did not come last gen was the Nintendo DS.
I really and strongly think that the series will not be Nintendo esclusive at all, in the future.
So, they are really focusing right know on the most successfull console (and this was predictable, not as for the DS back in the days), with a transitional title that is selling very well in order to build up a fanbase overthere.
Then in the future they'll spread the brand all over the market, I'm quite sure about this. Probably not with MH4 but with other titles/subtitles

This seems a pretty weak point to prove that the series won't be exclusive of one console, by the way.
I mean, I believe Monster Hunter will land on Vita eventually, but PS3 got just a ridicolous HD version and 360 Monster Hunter Frontier, it's not that all of them got a mainline title. The series was PSP-Wii exclusive imo, as in the future might be 3DS-Vita ora 3DS-Wii U if they want to keep a distinction between home and handheld.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You're right.

This seems a pretty weak point to prove that the series won't be exclusive of one console, by the way.
I mean, I believe Monster Hunter will land on Vita eventually, but PS3 got just a ridicolous HD version and 360 Monster Hunter Frontier, it's not that all of them got a mainline title. The series was PSP-Wii exclusive imo, as in the future might be 3DS-Vita ora 3DS-Wii U if they want to keep a distinction between home and handheld.

So, my point is weak but you agree with it :D
I'm firmly convinced that it will not be tied only to the 3ds, and as I said it will be spread all over the market as it was in the last gen, with different titles, each with different values and importance, of course.

I'm firmly convinced that it will not be tied only to the 3ds, and as I said it will be spread all over the market as it was in the last gen, with different titles, each with different values and importance, of course.

The point (=Monster Hunter will not be an exclusive title in the future) is weak (=in the past, the series spanned many platforms, but just two of them got the mainline entries), but this does not mean is totally wrong :)

I do believe Capcom will split the series on at least two platforms. I do hope they will continue to differentiate enough so to avoid confusion / overlapping. Two handheld Monster Hunter should not happen, in my opinion. If Capcom wants to see huge numbers again, they should keep Monster Hunter on 3DS and working on it, and then trying to exploit an home iteration (which obviously will not have a chance to be a +3 million sellers, but still being successful).

Erethian

The only MH titles that matter came out on two systems, which I wouldn't exactly call "spread all over the market". Maybe three with Portable 3rd HD, but that's a borderline case.

test_account

XP-39C²
I mean MH3G is a "freebie" because it's just repacked old content which was outsourced to another developer to do. Even though it was positioned externally as the "next" mainline release (though with just 1.2m expected I'd say even that's debatable) it was never positioned as the next "mainline" internally. And 3G was developed in about 9 months afaik, though planning started a little earlier (Dec 2010).

A 3rdG would have been a whole different situation. It would've been Capcom themselves developing, it would've meant actual new content and it would've meant MH4 delayed.
So there is absolutely no new content in TriG? I didnt know that (kinda hard to believe, but i havnt played it myself). But that would explain some why the LTD might reach about 2 million.

I wonder why Capcom went this route. Making new content, either if it was for 3rdG or TriG, i would assume that the LTD could reach at least 3 million, maybe even around 4 million too.

Sure it would have cost some more money to develope, but they were cutting the sales big time there if TriG has no new content at all. Then Capcom could also have delayed MH4 to holiday 2013 instead, keeping TriG sales going for a longer time.

noobie

Banned
Dont know if this has been posted yet or not..

Ragnarok Odyssey has sold and shipped over 100,000 units, Gung-Ho said today. The PlayStation Vita multiplayer action RPG was released on February 2. The 100,000 figure is a mixture of shipments of the package version and sales of the download version.

To commemorate the sales feat, Gung-Ho is holding a Twitter-based campaign. Tweet a message about how you'd use ¥100,000. The person who makes the most interesting post will will a ¥100,000 prize.

Link

Do we have some Famitsu numbers for it.. we can get the idea of mix of download & shipment/sold numbers..

So there is absolutely no new content in TriG? I didnt know that (kinda hard to believe, but i havnt played it myself). But that would explain some why the LTD might reach about 2 million.

I wonder why Capcom went this route. Making new content, either if it was for 3rdG or TriG, i would assume that the LTD could reach at least 3 million, maybe even around 4 million too.

Sure it would have cost some more money to develope, but they were cutting the sales big time there if TriG has no new content at all. Then Capcom could also have delayed MH4 to holiday 2013 instead, keeping TriG sales going for a longer time.

No. Freaking. Way. At least for what concerns 3G on 3DS.

Yeah 3G will be good to reach 2million with the best release. It may not even reach 2.5 million with MH4 coming so soon.

Edit: I guess i read that wrong. Even with more new content I doubt it would have been able to reach 3 million.

test_account

XP-39C²
No. Freaking. Way. At least for what concerns 3G on 3DS.
In my opinion, having no new content severaly limits the interest in buying the game, especially concider that a lot of people have already played MH3 and 3rd. If Capcom had brought new content to the game, it would be more compelling to buy it. It would also be easier to delay MH4 to holiday 2013 instead, giving TriG more time to sell. For example, there were nearly 3 years between 2ndG and 3rd (you had MH3 in between, but the biggest sales are on portable systems).

In my opinion, having no new content severaly limits the interest in buying the game, especially concider that a lot of people have already played MH3 and 3rd. If Capcom had brought new content to the game, it would be more compelling to buy it. It would also be easier to delay MH4 to holiday 2013 instead, giving TriG more time to sell. For example, there were nearly 3 years between 2ndG and 3rd (you had MH3 in between, but the biggest sales are on portable systems).
Capcom wants to transition MH fans to 3DS asap, adding more to 3G would have delayed that. I'm sure Nintendo also pushed them for the game to be ready by holiday 2011, in time for MK7 and SM3DL. Its basically just a revival of MHP3rd for the 3DS fanbase and they want to get in on that ASAP, MHP3rd weekly sales were already low due to PSP's dwindling sales.

Cuddler

Capcom wants to transition MH fans to 3DS asap, adding more to 3G would have delayed that. I'm sure Nintendo also pushed them for the game to be ready by holiday 2011, in time for MK7 and SM3DL. Its basically just a revival of MHP3rd for the 3DS fanbase and they want to get in on that ASAP, MHP3rd weekly sales were already low due to PSP's dwindling sales.

Or because a lot more people bought the game in the first week.

The fact is that: Capcom was expecting 1.2 million units which, given the development, lead to good profits. Even with some more contents, 3 million units were too much, I mean, probably Mario Kart 7 won't reach the same amount in the first year and a half.

Or because a lot more people bought the game in the first week.
Yes MHP3rd opened up much bigger, but weekly sales dropped much faster than 2G did and the BEST versions did little to raise the rate, unlike the BEST versions of 2G. I know thats due to MH still growing at 2G's time.

MH3G is like a revival of MHP3's weekly sales. Sure it could have launched for the PSP and sell a million or so the first week, but then that just delays the transition to the next-gen.

The transition to the next-gen is more important than selling more on the PSP. We're not even sure how it would have performed on the PSP, for all we know it wouldn't have sold that much more than MH3G for 3DS, if you consider PSP's software and hardware sales and that it doesn't have much new content.

I bet if Vita launched when 3DS did and had backwards compatibility with PSP UMD, we'd be seeing MH3G for PSP instead, that way Capcom would get big sales from PSP but also transition to the Vita at the same time for MH4.

Since Capcom chose 3DS, they had to sacrifice a big launch, and with the way MH3G is selling on the 3DS I doubt they're regretting anything.

Capcom backed the 3DS because it could do slightly more than what they did on the PSP (at likely less cost due to no UMD) and they wouldn't jump to Vita due to the fact they just wouldn't need the power it offers and its price is a bit of a 'block' to some of their userbase.

There is a bigger reason though. MH carried the PSP, it was an adrenaline shot in the arm; the DS stayed strong for a wide variety of reasons - Nintendo and third parties made a fantastic system and library.

Why develop for the Vita? It is in Capcoms interests to sell to the DS userbase, its a growth market! With MH and Nintendo on one platform the entire gamer market will converge behind it (see Vita sales, its not all about the Vita - but the competition offering a better alternative).

Capcom want to sell more copies of Monster Hunter, they want more people buying into the franchise. There is a VERY large market out there to tap into who never owned a PSP. Thats huge for an already huge franchise.

Will it massively increase sales of the series? Probably not - but it will lengthen its life cycle considerably as new users replace the old.

This is all there is. Capcom made the PSP a success, not Sony. God knows why they wanted on a platform whose predecessor shifted colossal quantities of software; had a huge customer base of consumers who have never been the target market of MH (not because of who they are, just because of which console they invested in).

Its not difficult to understand. PSP offered Capcom the ability to produce and sell the game, nothing more. 3DS offers this and MORE along with an entirely new market to sell MH4 to. 3G was Capcoms way of ensuring customers new where Monster Hunter was coming to in the future; it was there way of:
a) Bringing their current fans to the new system
b) Introducing MH to the DS userbase.

The fact that 3G sold beyond expectations shows that one of these has happened more than they expected and I think it might be (a); and I think no one expected Vita to wave the flag to the degree it has.

[Hope this is clear, am not the best at putting thought to word lol - am sure you've all said the same thing better]

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep that is probably the reason.

I still believe that adding new content would have made the game much more compelling, and also resulting in selling more. Instead of using time on porting stuff, they could have used it to make new stuff instead. Maybe increase the work staff too a bit. It could be delayed, but i dont think this game needs to be launched at a holiday season. They release MH4 in spring afterall. But that is just my guess. The game is already released, so it wouldnt matter much now.

The fact is that: Capcom was expecting 1.2 million units which, given the development, lead to good profits. Even with some more contents, 3 million units were too much, I mean, probably Mario Kart 7 won't reach the same amount in the first year and a half.
Yep, that might be Capcom's reason behind it. I still have my same opinion though, that adding more content would be better for the game.

BadWolf

If MH4 sells less on 3DS than the series entries sold on PSP (4 million was it?) would that be an indication of it not being a wise choice to move the series? Or would the userbase be not enough at the time of its release to make a valid comparison?

I still believe that adding new content would have made the game much more compelling, and also resulting in selling more. Instead of using time on porting stuff, they could have used it to make new stuff instead. Maybe increase the work staff too a bit. It could be delayed, but i dont think this game needs to be launched at a holiday season. They release MH4 in spring afterall. But that is just my guess. The game is already released, so it wouldnt matter much now.

I suspect its just their team was busy with MH4; and new content which is 'bad' can be worse than no new content.
Wonder if MH4 will take advantage of DLC though, have they said anything about this?

If MH4 sells less on 3DS than the series entries sold on PSP (4 million was it?) would that be an indication of it not being a wise choice to move the series? Or would the userbase be not enough at the time of its release to make a valid comparison?

Its difficult to compare really. The fact will be the PSP version sold more; we'll be able to analyse these things to pieces when it launches. Atm we know too little about the quality, marketing or first day sales to really compare. If first day sales compare well and theres a big 3DS bump, its not a mistake even if in the end it doesn't reach the same LTD. If first day sales compare less favourable and theres not a big move to the 3DS...and in the end it doesn't equal the LTD, its fair to say users didn't jump over.

Whether a NEW PSP version would sell as well as any 3DS version has a very big question mark over it though.

They need to get the fanbase ready for MH4, the sooner the better. Of course it doesn't need to launch during the holidays, but its the first time its on a Nintendo handheld, what better way to show off the game than during the holidays? Especially when other big titles are there to help it sell. I also think Capcom could have launched earlier, but that they were waiting on Nintendo's price drop and MK7 + SM3DL to get the ball rolling first. It was well known that third parties weren't happy with the way the 3DS was selling, Capcom would have been just as concerned.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I don't think that a MH4 on the shelves for Spring 13 would have been able to sell 4+ millions on any other platform.
I think that for the next main entry 3DS was the right choice, able to guarantee the bigger success possible.
We are obviously talking about a very Japan-oriented title.
As I said before, I don't think that a 4.5 million units single SKU will be a standard for the brand in any case.
I'm expecting a LTD double than the MH3G one.

4.8 million for MHP3rd. I still think the userbase would be a valid argument to make considering the attach ratio the game would have to achieve to outsell it would be insane. I do believe that anything sub 3 million LTD would be a huge disappointment. I think 3.5-4 million would be a good result. Postulating way further into the future than I should since many things can happen assuming a MH5 launches a few years from now it should be able to exceed 3rd assuming the series actually continues to grow.

Not inherently, because the only other move would've been to Vita, and we've no idea if a MH backed Vita could move 4m+ units.

Between the two, 3DS definitely looks like the safer option, with higher potential.

watershed

Banned
Also don't forget to factor in having Nintendo's advertising muscle behind future MH western releases. I think the MH move to the 3ds was done with an eye on more than just the domestic Japanese market.

duckroll

I think an argument could be made that if MH3G+MH4 sales in total are significantly less than 4 million, then maybe Capcom should indeed have put more effort into a MHP3G release for PSP instead of moving onto the 3DS so soon. If that happens, that is.

test_account

XP-39C²
I suspect its just their team was busy with MH4; and new content which is 'bad' can be worse than no new content.
Wonder if MH4 will take advantage of DLC though, have they said anything about this?
Yep, it would require some different management of the developement.

Sure, but that goes for MH4 too (and every new game for that matter), but they still have to add new stuff to keep the interest level high. No reason for the new content to be bad.

No idea about DLC, but i wouldnt be surprised to see it.

They need to get the fanbase ready for MH4, the sooner the better. Of course it doesn't need to launch during the holidays, but its the first time its on a Nintendo handheld, what better way to show off the game than during the holidays? Especially when other big titles are there to help it sell. I also think Capcom could have launched earlier, but that they were waiting on Nintendo's price drop and MK7 + SM3DL to get the ball rolling first. It was well known that third parties weren't happy with the way the 3DS was selling, Capcom would have been just as concerned.
Yeah, this is most likely the senario that happened. Everything else will be hypothetical, but i still believe that adding new content would be a better move. It doesnt have to be a ton of new stuff, but at least a fair enough amount that makes the game much more interesting to buy. But it is impossible to say, the way Capcom went might have been the best financially, who knows.

Cuddler

Yes MHP3rd opened up much bigger, but weekly sales dropped much faster than 2G did and the BEST versions did little to raise the rate, unlike the BEST versions of 2G. I know thats due to MH still growing at 2G's time.

MH3G is like a revival of MHP3's weekly sales. Sure it could have launched for the PSP and sell a million or so the first week, but then that just delays the transition to the next-gen.

The transition to the next-gen is more important than selling more on the PSP. We're not even sure how it would have performed on the PSP, for all we know it wouldn't have sold that much more than MH3G for 3DS, if you consider PSP's software and hardware sales and that it doesn't have much new content.

I bet if Vita launched when 3DS did and had backwards compatibility with PSP UMD, we'd be seeing MH3G for PSP instead, that way Capcom would get big sales from PSP but also transition to the Vita at the same time for MH4.

Since Capcom chose 3DS, they had to sacrifice a big launch, and with the way MH3G is selling on the 3DS I doubt they're regretting anything.

I agree with you about the choice, as I've said in my previous post, I think both choices were pretty good for Capcom, with no real difference in final sales, at least in Japan.

I think an argument could be made that if MH3G+MH4 sales in total are significantly less than 4 million, then maybe Capcom should indeed have put more effort into a MHP3G release for PSP instead of moving onto the 3DS so soon. If that happens, that is.

Wouldn't that require MH4's sales to end up being less than 2.5 million? Seems like a low bar to set for it.

Top Bottom