• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2013 (Jun 17 - Jun 23)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What are people expecting Pikmin to do to hardware out of curiosity?

10K? 20K? 30K?

It will certainly be interesting, and because it's been so long since a new iteration of the franchise it's a difficult one to read in terms of sales potential.

Edit: Oh, and I really wouldn't pin any hardware sales hopes on W101.

I'm going to wait a bit longer before making a prediction, but my gut is that if Nintendo can't sell more than 20K hardware for that week, they are in very big trouble.

Bruno MB

15./03. [3DS] Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter: Albatross no Tsubasa <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.06.13} (¥5.490) - 4.079 / 22.004 (-77%)

Terrible second week drop, sell-through must be very low too. So much for Square Enix trying to pull of a Level-5-style media cash cow.

And talking about Level-5, the will release next month 3 titles: Youkai Watch (July 11), Little Battlers eXperience W Super Custom (July 18) and Fantasy Life Link! (July 25).

Youkai Watch is supposedly their next big thing. Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost had great sales (around 200.000 units), but I don't think this next port to 3DS will do nearly as well as the previous one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The hell is going on between Famitsu and MC about 3DS? It happened again: around 8k of difference :lol

TLoU about to bury Biohazard yo.

Its a joke, if somehow you take this post seriously.

It's a joke, but it should be real. TLOU is superior to RE in every way and RE hasn't been good since 4. Western games don't sell in Japan though.

First weeks:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 16,914
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 55,063
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 122,552

Famitsu numbers though, so would be better to compare like for like, but should give an idea.

Do you have release date, LTD, and "The Best" numbers?

Luigi and Last of us have destroyed the perception that all western games sell like crap over there in Japan so far this year .

And at this point it seems clear that PS3 has pretty much hit saturation point.

I imagine those weekly 10.000 sales are for the most part people who buy the console to play a game and then return it .

They haven't to me, no. LM is a special case as it's a lovely Nintendo franchise. If NLG developed a new IP published by Nintendo and reached those numbers I would agree. TLOU deserves to sell more than 100k, even if 100k is great numbers for a western game in Japan.

Sony may be able to squeeze another 1 or 2 million units out of the PS3 with a heavy price cut but i think 10-12 million is just about the maximum for console sales in Japan at the moment.

With a hefty price cut and a final redesign, maybe with a redesign the size of the wii or a bit bigger, they may be able to reach 12 million, but yeah, no more than that and I think that's the absolute best case scenario. It'll probably die out around 10.5-11 million.

Then they would lose the western market. That's not gonna happen.

And there's no guarantee they would reach the JP audience either. I mean Biohazard sells 1 million with re releases, so there's an audience for those games there.

I'm going to wait a bit longer before making a prediction, but my gut is that if Nintendo can't sell more than 20K hardware for that week, they are in very big trouble.

I think it's literally impossible for the WiiU not to sell more than 20K the week of Pikmin 3, NSL, and a new HW SKU.

schuelma

Is Pikmin huge in Japan?

First 2 sold around 500K each, but that was like 10 years ago.

The Wii re-releases did 150-175k.

Kind of hard to figure out.

Definitely the biggest Wii U release since launch, which of course doesn't mean all that much.

Foshy

Do Platinum Games games sell in japan? Dont remember lol
Some do, some don't.

01./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance # <ACT> (Konami) {2013.02.21} (¥6.980) - 308.681 / NEW
(400K LTD)

3oL40.png

(~210K launch combined)

3oL3d.png

3oL5j.png

Wii exclusive:
3oL1D.png

Can't really predict if W101 will do well. I'm expecting a 70-80k opening myself.

Anyone know if it has gone below Vita's lowest number yet?
Vita's worst week was 4,0xx something, so it's nearly there.

Spiegel

WiiU is in a big trouble at the moment. If the system can't sell >20k with the release of Pikmin 3, NSLU and a new color the thing is dead.

mrmickfran

Do Platinum Games games sell in japan? Dont remember lol

Bayonetta sold around 170k week one (PS360 combined)

Vanquish sold around 60k week one :(

Infinite Space sold a little under 50k week one

Anarchy Reigns sold a little over 25k week one

Madworld didn't even make the top 30

Metal Gear Rising made over 300k week one :DDDD
(While being a PS3 exclusive title on top of that. IT LEFT THEM ALL BEHIIIIIND)

So only 2 out of 6 were really successful in Japan.

I'm waiting for the day that Platinum Games'
games make Call Of Duty sales.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune SCE 38,242
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (BEST) SCE 51,587
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves SCE 104,338
Uncharted: Twin Pack SCE 4,312
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PlayStation 3 the Best) SCE 5,433
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception SCE 164,266
Uncharted: Golden Abyss SCE 58,213
These are the LTD figures according to "Garaph"

schuelma

It's not gonna sell more than 20k that week. Too little, too late. We'll see, but I doubt Pikmin 3 has much drawing power these days.

I mean, Wii U broke 20K in March when DQX and Game & Wario combined for what, like 60K sales?

schuelma

There was also a limited DQX bundle, though. Is there a bundle for Pikmin 3?

No, but there is a new white premium model coming out the same day. I dunno..I'm not expecting an insane number, but 20K should be automatic.

It will break 20k, but anyone expecting something like 40k should hold their horses. It will then quickly drop back below 10k and Wonderful 101 will not be a system seller. People should be looking forward to October, November and December because July and August will be rough.

Edit:Yeesh at that 3DS Famitsu number. Everybody moved out of the way for Monster Hunter it seems only for it to launch much later than expected. Hopefully Nintendo starts getting more announcements for next year. Outside of MH4, can someone give me a list of the surefire 3rd party 100k sellers for the rest of the year announced for3DS?

DaBoss

Is there any ASP like thing for Japan and where to find that info? I would like to know if the Premium SKU sells more than the Basic SKU.

Foshy

No, but there is a new white premium model coming out the same day. I dunno..I'm not expecting an insane number, but 20K should be automatic.

I see.

I personally think 20k, probably 30k should be a given too, seeing as it seems to follow a similar pattern to Vita last year (which had ~40k on Miku/P4G release weeks).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
TLOU > Uncharted 3 opening for Famitsu? God damn

Should have better legs too with it being a new IP
Massive success world wide for Naughty Dog, much deserved too, the game is great

It will break 20k, but anyone expecting something like 40k should hold their horses. It will then quickly drop back below 10k and Wonderful 101 will not be a system seller. People should be looking forward to October, November and December because July and August will be rough/

There's also Lego (which have never been out in Japan before as far as I can tell), Yakuza, and Wind Waker before October. It's not going to set the world on fire, but maybe it can keep it above 8K in a slow week until Mario/Party/Fit/Sonic come.

Mpl90

It will break 20k, but anyone expecting something like 40k should hold their horses. It will then quickly drop back below 10k and Wonderful 101 will not be a system seller. People should be looking forward to October, November and December because July and August will be rough.

Edit:Yeesh at that 3DS Famitsu number. Everybody moved out of the way for Monster Hunter it seems only for it to launch much later than expected. Hopefully Nintendo starts getting more announcements for next year.

For Media Create, it's at over 43k. Seriously, why such a big difference XD

The Neptunia rhythm game gave the Vita a decent little push. I need to sit down and play it after I finish up with Photokano Kiss and Haiyore Nyaruko San.

It's not really a rhythm game. The focus is more driven by the relationship and management systems. The actual performance bits in the game are not nearly as intricate as those in, say, the iM@S games.

It seems Vita at least has enough juice left in it to stay where it's at for while. I don't want to use the word stabilized because it still doing terribly vs where anyone expected it to be, but I doubt it sells 4k anytime soon.The rest of the world is where the problem lies. I really don't want to see Sony completely leave portable gaming so hopefully they find a way to do something. Is there any chance Nintendo moves up the launch date for Mario Kart 8? Any precedence?

schuelma

It seems Vita at least has enough juice left in it to stay where it's at for while. I don't want to use the word stabilized because it still doing terribly vs where anyone expected it to be, but I doubt it sells 4k anytime soon.The rest of the world is where the problem lies. Is there any chance Nintendo moves up the launch date for Mario Kart 8? Any precedence?

I think for the medium to long term, holding Mario Kart 8 until March April makes more sense for Nintendo.

October through December is actually looking pretty stacked first party wise- you are going to have Wind Waker at the end of September, then Wii Fit U, Wii U Party, SM3D World, and probably DKCR:TF and Mario and Sonic until the end of the year.

These are the LTD figures according to "Garaph"

I did some research myself, and I looked at the game data museum database. Some of the numbers are off and seems garaph is outdated. Uncharted 2: The Best LTD is 33,953, Uncharted DFLTD is 55,003, Uncharted GA LTD is 98,106.

All ND games this generation have sold over 100K yet none have broken the 200K barrier in Japan, that's interesting. Also interesting that Uncharted 3 hasn't gotten a "The Best" re-release over there yet either. Do we know when that's releasing there?

It would be a victory for TLOU to sell over 200K before the re-release.

For Media Create, it's at over 43k. Seriously, why such a big difference XD

Difference between trackers is nothing new, look at LTD for PS3 and especially the PSP.

Mpl90

Edit:Yeesh at that 3DS Famitsu number. Everybody moved out of the way for Monster Hunter it seems only for it to launch much later than expected. Hopefully Nintendo starts getting more announcements for next year. Outside of MH4, can someone give me a list of the surefire 3rd party 100k sellers for the rest of the year announced for3DS?

The titles already announced with possibility (if not certainty) of hitting 100k.

New Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl
Youkai Watch
Little Battler Experience W Chou Custom
Fantasy Life Link! (?)
Ace Attorney 5
Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life
Battle for Money
Little Battler Experience Wars
Inazuma Eleven Galaxy
One Piece: Unlimited World R
Puzzle and Dragons Z

Probably the next DQ remake will be announced for this Holiday season, too.

These are the first ones I remember.

I think for the medium to long term, holding Mario Kart 8 until March April makes more sense for Nintendo.

October through December is actually looking pretty stacked first party wise- you are going to have Wind Waker at the end of September, then Wii Fit U, Wii U Party, SM3D World, and probably DKCR:TF and Mario and Sonic until the end of the year.

This holiday is Nintendo's last big chance and with the possibility of PS4 not launching a golden opportunity. Mario kart should be out and not Donkey Kong. And I'm still very skeptical of the Wii ___ series still being relevant. The lack of 3rd party support also hurts.

schuelma

This holiday is Nintendo's last big chance and with the possibility of PS4 not launching a golden opportunity. Mario kart should be out and not Donkey Kong. And I'm still very skeptical of the Wii ___ series still being relevant. The lack of 3rd party support also hurts.

I personally think it would be better to have Mario Kart out this holiday, but I do think they need to hold something back to try and keep some momentum.

What was the Wii U at in the weeks prior to DQX though, out of curiosity? (if anyone remembers off the top of their head)
Famitsu numbers are finally up: http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

The Last of Us - 129.983

3DS - 34.480
PS Vita - 13.002
PS3 - 10.077
PSP - 5.201
Wii U - 4.236
So better than Uncharted 3.

Very nice.

Meanwhile, Wii U is getting perilously close to another psychological barrier the 4K mark.
Just got those from a boolean software search of Uncharted from garaph.
http://garaph.info/index.php

There's also Lego (which have never been out in Japan before as far as I can tell), Yakuza, and Wind Waker before October. It's not going to set the world on fire, but maybe it can keep it above 8K in a slow week until Mario/Party/Fit/Sonic come.

Lego is not gonna do anything, and neither will Yakuza.

WW HD is a question mark, but, I've mentioned this before, OOT did 1.1 mil on N64 and 500K on 3DS. OOT is widely considered to be a superior game to WW and 3DS is a much more successful product than the WiiU. WW did 740K on GC, if the ratio was to stay the same, WW HD would do 336K on WiiU. However, I'm not sure the ratio will stay the same, I think anything above 250K for WW HD would be a major plus, but you never know.

Just got those from a boolean software search of Uncharted from garaph.
http://garaph.info/index.php

Yeah, I looked it up after asking you, some of those LTD numbers on garaph are outdated. Do you know when Uncharted 3: The best is releasing in JP?

Top Bottom