• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2015 (Jun 15 - Jun 21)

hiska-kun

Depending on the tracker

Media Create - 315,380
Famitsu - 341,119

And it's also suffering from shortages, right?

Well, the blogger uses MC. But MC maybe is tracking the Special Edition as a different SKU (since they did it with PKM ORAS or Soul Sacrifice), so the number might be higher.

mclem

Fire Emblem Fates is sold out 品切れ中 (both versions) in Bic Camera Ikebukuro.
You can purchase the Download code (more expensive than the retail game lol)

How does the download code work? The logo makes it look like you can use it to choose one of the two titles, but there might be some fine print specifying a specific one somewhere on it.

If it does allow you to choose one of two, I wonder how Famitsu will track it.

Garou

How does the download code work? The logo makes it look like you can use it to choose one of the two titles, but there might be some fine print specifying a specific one somewhere on it.

If it does allow you to choose one of two, I wonder how Famitsu will track it.

You play up to the decision, the game then connects to the eShop-server and locks you into the route you chose.

mclem

You play up to the decision, the game then connects to the eShop-server and locks you into the route you chose.

Which, again, raises the question of how Famitsu will track it, because it's not one game nor the other.

(Also, that sounds way more complicated than the way I'd expect Nintendo to have implemented it!)

duckroll

I don't understand what you're asking exactly. Famitsu doesn't even list multiple SKUs separately. They track everything together.

Fisico

Not to mention Nintendo sort of lead the way with Wii to 3DS ports, HELL, BN DID do one! That Taiko minigame spin-off they made for Wii's launch got a 3DS port a year or so back, so DOTNW for instance at least would've been ideal, Graces would've also been a great idea.

I'm not sure porting a Taiko game is the same thing as porting a Tales game on 3DS, they already mentionned that porting Abyss on 3DS needed much more work than what they expected originally, every character model had to be redone, battles were only running at 30fps and the game was delayed a few months after its original intended release.

Abyss was also probably the 3D Tales with the less detailled character models, Symphonia DotNW would have been much more of an hurdle and I can't even imagine Graces running on 3DS.
Graces would have been dumb too, it ended up selling much much more on PS3 (it should be around ~450k LTD with the best release currently) a 3DS SKU would have only split the userbase, something they did for years between 2005-2010 and it didn't work at all.

I do agree that Symphonia would have sold more on 3DS... in Japan, but it would have needed a bigger budget to port the game, whereas Symphonia UP/Chronicles was an easy and quick cash grab, are we even sure that the extra sales in Japan from a 3DS version would have compensated the budget needed for development? Not to mention the lost sales for releasing the game on 3DS instead of PS3 for the western audience.

Let's not forget that Bamco also tried to release mothership titles on the most successfull handheld ever and it didn't work, Innocence the first one which was outsourced sold 261k and Hearts which was a full blown mothership title done by the Tales Studio only sold 270k which makes it the 3rd worst performing entry (only ahead of Graces Wii 212k and Vesperia 360 205k).
They also had a successfull port (Eternia 250k) for PSP years ago, the two others ports which followed only ended up selling less than the previous one, respectively Destiny 2 135k & Rebirth 95k, why would that be any different for 3DS ?

It just seems that no matter the platform there's an hardcore fanbase which makes any title sells at least ~100k, but the core fanbase remains on sony home console and it's just easier to publish game there.

I highly agree with Sammy that Vesperia on the 3DS' successor is a very good idea.

At this point, and considering what Bamco is doing with the Tales series, it only does if the architecture of the 4DS makes it easy to port the game.

mclem

I don't understand what you're asking exactly. Famitsu doesn't even list multiple SKUs separately. They track everything together.

Ah! Okay, that makes more sense. I think I might have been conflating MC's split listing with Famitsu's coverage of download cards, then.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's report

- Fire Emblem Fates sold great as it was expected. Probably will become the best selling game of the series.
- The Special Version is imposible to find anywhere.
- Sales for Prepaid Cards (for the DLC version), Fire Emblem Amiibos, and FE Trading Cards increased and selling in perfect form.
- Persona 4: Dancing all Night also sold well, and contributed to sell Vita Hardware.
- Actually, the growth rate for Vita Hardware was higher than the 3DS.

Asd202

Tsutaya's report

- Fire Emblem Fates sold great as it was expected. Probably will become the best selling game of the series.
- Sales for Prepaid Cards (for the DLC version), Fire Emblem Amiibos, and Trading Cards increased and selling in perfect form.
- Persona 4: Dancing all Night also sold well, and contributed for selling Vita Hardware.

Good week incoming.

These news are very welcome in the current market.
I hope Fates sell(s) a million units or more when it is all said and done. Would be a great achievement for the series and for Nintendo as a seller of mature titles as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
can't really see FE If sell 700k. The previous one was a HUGE success at around 480k LTD, right? It would be something really out of this world to spike again up to 700k.
I'd lowered the target at 550k LTD max.

Btw,7th dragon 3, the new Baseball game...are these the small-medium games that we feard was desappearing from the dedicated market? Consiering all the new announcements made by N too around E3 (Chibni Robo, Mario&Luigi and so on) I think that the late '15 / '16 3DS scenario is looking somehow stronger than what we expected.

Kouriozan

Tsutaya's report

- Sales for Prepaid Cards (for the DLC version), Fire Emblem Amiibos, and FE Trading Cards increased and selling in perfect form.
- Persona 4: Dancing all Night also sold well, and contributed to sell Vita Hardware.

I like it when a week is going to do great in Japan, especially nowadays.

-Horizon-

There we go

Fates = Awakening x1,3 (FW)

Depending on the tracker

Media Create - 315,380
Famitsu - 341,119

Tsutaya's report

Excellent.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Now that I think about it: did Konami announce the next Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball game yet? It's probably going to be PS3/Vita, I think (not even PS4).

kswiston

Did the eShop for retail games exist in Japan when Awakening was launched

I know it launched with NSMB2 here. Was that the case in Japan as well?

Mpl90

Which was a few months after FE:A in Japan no?

If so, a 30% increase is pretty impressive in addition to whatever it ended up doing digitally.

Yep. FE:A came out on April 19th, 2012. While both NSMB2 and Brain Training released alongside 3DS XL on July 28th.

It's going to be difficult to get a good gripe on digital numbers before Famitsu publish their Top 30: all the 3DS titles in the 3DS-Only All-Time Chart are over 100,000 downloads. Unless it's selling at such an unbelievable pace that it's already nearing 100,000 downloads, but I doubt it.

Mpl90

Wasn't someone just the other day in this thread saying it was weird the 3DS wasn't getting the Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu games?

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/pro-yakyuu-famista-returns-announced-3ds

Not quite, but close enough.

I already posted about it, with even a funny comment on it!

...And I'm still wondering if Konami already announced the next Jikkyou. Seriously, I don't remember if they did yet, and IIRC it would've been announced already in the past years.

Depending on the tracker

Media Create - 315,380
Famitsu - 341,119

That's a super sexy number. Taking shortages and digital purchases into account, this is a great opening.

Here's hoping it tops 776k!

SIDEBAR: Has this ever happened before? A long-standing series, sells modestly and has a very dedicated fanbase, just blows up and becomes a major hit after 10+ games released in the series?

That's a super sexy number. Taking shortages and digital purchases into account, this is a great opening.

Here's hoping it tops 776k!

SIDEBAR: Has this ever happened before? A long-standing series, sells modestly and has a very dedicated fanbase, just blows up and becomes a major hit after 10+ games released in the series?
The Fast and the Furious

:p

Beckx

I already posted about it, with even a funny comment on it!

...And I'm still wondering if Konami already announced the next Jikkyou. Seriously, I don't remember if they did yet, and IIRC it would've been announced already in the past years.

No announcement for this year's Power Pro yet and that is weird since it's generally a fall release. Will be interesting to see if they just stick with mobile. I am not expecting a PS4 version, that's for sure.

Really excited to see Famista resurrected. Taking on aliens with Shohei Otani and Sho Nakata? Sign me up!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Tsutaya's report

YIIIISSSSSSSSS

Plus, don't most Nintendo sequels on the same platform underperform compared to their predecessors? There's a lot more competition in Jun 2015 than there was in Apr 2012 on 3DS.

Well, on 3DS there is not much to compare with. Nintendo developed few direct sequels to already existing 3DS games; Style Savvy 3 is likely going to decrease with respect to Style Savvy 2, but it has a different target audience and might have a lot legs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Are you talking about Japan in specific, or are we including anything at all?

Well, on 3DS there is not much to compare with. Nintendo developed few direct sequels to already existing 3DS games; Style Savvy 3 is likely going to decrease with respect to Style Savvy 2, but it has a different target audience and might have a lot legs.

Yeah, especially internally, Nintendo's staff-to-franchise ratio isn't actually that great to boot (more so due to the number of franchises they have), so we don't have many examples of continued entries per generation.

It's plausible we'll see more of that next generation if both the console staff and handheld staff are working on what's effectively the same system.

Not quite the same thing, but From Soft's first hardcore dungeon crawler was released in 1994, but their games didn't explode in popularity until the Souls games over 10 years later.

I also assume that Trails in the Sky was a big hit because the Legend of Heroes series got rebranded the Kiseki series at that point (Trails was Legend of Heroes 6).

Tales maybe? The series seems to have grown since Xilia.

Not really. There were PS2 entries above 500k units as well.

Xillia sold 670k in 2011; Abyss sold 556k in 2005-2006 + 157k with the budget version. Tales of has always had high-selling entries coupled with low-selling entries, much like a business cycle.

Hitsukara

Neo Member
PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 29 to Jul 26):

[3DS] Great Ace Attorney (18 days) - 175k
[PSV] Taiko no Tatsujin V Version (18 days) - 75k
[3DS] Chou Run For Money (18 days) - 60k
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters Red/White (16 days) - 750k
[PS4] Batman Arkham Knight (11 days) - 55k
[WIU] Yoshi's Woolly World (11 days) - 85k
[ALL] Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi (4 days) - 100k
[PSV] Makai Shin Trillion (4 days) - 30k

An example might be Harvest Moon. Prior to 2007, no game cracked the 200k mark (at least after SNES), and the best-selling games were around 130-160k units (on GBA and PS1); all the other entries sold way less, and usually below 100k units.

Then Island of Happiness on DS sold 300k and the last two 3DS entries were both above 250k units.

kswiston

Not really. There were PS2 entries above 500k units as well.

Xillia sold 670k in 2011; Abyss sold 556k in 2005-2006 + 157k with the budget version. Tales of has always had high-selling entries coupled with low-selling entries, much like a business cycle.

Tales of Destiny 2 sold 760k back in 2002. I'm not sure how the PS1 games did, but the series had more of a popularity resurgence after a brief slump than a popularity explosion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Even including anything at all what examples are there? I can think of series that have hit it big in the 3rd or 4th entry but not something as long running as fire emblem.

I was thinking Japan only when I wrote that but we can open it up to any and all. Impressive feat for whatever was able to accomplish it.
The longest ones that come to mind are:

The Elder Scrolls, with entry five, going from a 1-4 million series to a 20+ million series. Given the reception of Fallout 3 (did six million on Oblivion's success) and the trailer views for Fallout 4 (which is up to 15+ million and clearly a reflection of Skyrim's success), if you want to bundle in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, that would bring that to the seventh entry in the Bethesda-style series.

The seventh XCOM game took them from a 600K or less series to around 3-4 million.

Most series will breakout by the 3rd or fourth entry as metalslimer noted, since they tend to stop existing or stop getting major new investment if they haven't by then.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sony Corp plans to raise $3.6 billion via new shares and bonds to invest in new technologies such as image sensors and new growth business sectors.

Sony expects to raise $2.62 billion from a public stock offering after a year in which its market value has doubled in a year. It will raise a further $970 million from a convertible bond issue in Japan only to fund a boost in sensor output capacity at its advanced plants in the country.

“In addition to securing funds for active and concentrated investment in businesses that are driving growth,” Sony said in a statement. “Sony … aims to secure its ability to make future further investment.”

http://deadline.com/2015/06/sony-to-raise-3-6-billion-in-new-shares-and-bonds-share-price-plunges-1201463814/

kswiston

The longest ones that come to mind are:

The Elder Scrolls, with entry five, going from a 1-4 million series to a 20+ million series. Given the reception of Fallout 3 (did six million on Oblivion's success) and the trailer views for Fallout 4 (which is up to 15+ million and clearly a reflection of Skyrim's success), if you want to bundle in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, that would bring that to the seventh entry in the Bethesda-style series.

The seventh XCOM game took them from a 600K or less series to aroudn 3-4 million.

I think that the Elder Scrolls numbers are way out of date. I'm pretty sure it was announced that Oblivion's retail LTD in the US alone was 3.5M when Skyrim launched. Add the rest of the world and digital to that. The game has moved close to 1.5M copies on Steam. Steam didn't get the game until it was 3-4 years old. I wouldn't be that surprised if Oblivion is closer to 10M by this point. Of course, Skyrim probably raised legacy sales for the whole series.

Top Bottom