• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2011 (Jun 27 - Jul 3)

Cygnus X-1 said:
Are we in Japan? Really?
Haha, true. It's been a long time since you could pass the Japanese charts off as a Western one (
except that there'd be no PSP games in the western top10 ;)
).

Lord_Byron28 said:
I really don't see what exactly Vita is doing to encourage people to pay $250 that 3DS won't be doing come this fall in terms of software. Sure Vita is the better hardware deal but shown by Wii and DS consumers, people don't care about that as much as the games.

Sony may well have some compelling software announcements up its sleeve at Gamescom and TGS, but going solely by what's been announced to date, I don't think Vita has much chance of crushing 3DS in sales during the launch window.

Hardware doesn't sell itself, no matter how impressive the feature set offered. 3DS' own launch-window performance proves that, to a large degree.

BurntPork

Banned
allan-bh said:
3DS drop is normal. Red color is coming.
Yeah, I suppose that it is possible that people are just waiting for the new color. Still, I expected that OoT Tales would at least keep it above 25k longer than this. I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be a flop, but I don't know how long I can remain hopeful. I hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up the Wii U's launch like this.

Father_Brain said:
Sony may well have some compelling software announcements up its sleeve at Gamescom and TGS, but going solely by what's been announced to date, I don't think Vita has much chance of crushing 3DS in sales during the launch window.

Hardware doesn't sell itself, no matter how impressive the feature set offered. 3DS' own launch-window performance proves that, to a large degree.
Or it just proves that people don't think the hardware is worth 25k yen and the lack of software is simply making that worse. I'm positive that the abysmal price to performance/features ratio is the main reason it's failing.

Sennorin

Banned
Father_Brain said:

Nah, I think it is pretty sure to expect PSV outselling the 3DS´ launch period. Shiny, powerful hardware *does* sell itself - in the beginning. It is the time after that where software decides about sucess, which is where I think Nintendo has the upperhand. We´ll see.

TheNatural

My Member!
BurntPork said:
Yeah, I suppose that it is possible that people are just waiting for the new color. Still, I expected that OoT Tales would at least keep it above 25k longer than this. I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be a flop, but I don't know how long I can remain hopeful. I hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up the Wii U's launch like this.

Or it just proves that people don't think the hardware is worth 25k yen and the lack of software is simply making that worse. I'm positive that the abysmal price to performance/features ratio is the main reason it's failing.

The price is the main reason, you're right. But that's the point - no one wants to pay $250 for a handheld, no matter what it had. Or more actually in Japan, up around $300. You can have okay sales, but you're not going to go to DS territory with that price. And that's the Vita too.

BurntPork said:
People aren't going to buy the 3DS without compelling software. If you have compelling enough software, consumers will buy it. The Wii was massively overpriced at launch and that didn't stop anything. While a price cut will help things, it's certainly not the biggest factor yet.

Also as I said if a consumer decides that $250 is too much to buy a 3DS for then most will draw a similar conclusion for Vita because by Vita's launch time there will be a lot more games available for 3DS than Vita.

BurntPork said:

Well, to each his own. I think GAF is prone to assuming that the average consumer cares far more about specs than he/she actually does, and I think that that's more often than not a fallacious assumption.

Sennorin said:
Nah, I think it is pretty sure to expect PSV outselling the 3DS´ launch period. Shiny, powerful hardware *does* sell itself - in the beginning. It is the time after that where software decides about sucess, which is where I think Nintendo has the upperhand. We´ll see.

Against Super Mario and Mario Kart? Well, we'll see.

Though it looks like you might have misinterpreted what I said - I was saying that I currently expect 3DS to outsell Vita in Q4, not that Vita won't have better launch performance than 3DS.

Father_Brain said:
Against Super Mario and Mario Kart? Well, we'll see.

Though it looks like you might have misinterpreted what I said - I was saying that I currently expect 3DS to outsell Vita in Q4, not that Vita won't have better launch performance than 3DS.
Vita launch will outsell 3DS launch just by virtue of when they occur (Dec versus Feb/Mar). I think 3DS will likely sell more head to head in Q4 though, thanks to a much more attractive software lineup and the traditional extra lift Nintendo tends to get around the holidays. There's also the possibility Vita's supply constrained, at least the WiFi only model probably will be.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...or that it will be out in 2012,like it will probably happen in Europe :p

Top Bottom