• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2011 (Jun 27 - Jul 3)

Xiaoki said:
SSF4 had the "one of the few good games at launch" effect and the previous DoA fighting game was 4 years ago.

Curious about Tekken performance on 3DS, since the last (and only) game of the series appeared on a Nintendo console is Tekken Advance, 10 years ago.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xiaoki said:
SSF4 had the "one of the few good games at launch" effect and the previous DoA fighting game was 4 years ago.

For DoA,I've already said some posts ago that probably the brand has lost all the appeal he had in the past.
The last main entry on 360 did 100k,and since then 4 years have passed...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stumpokapow said:
No word either way yet. Sting's stuff historically has a high rate of localization, but the PSP's situation is pretty unprecedented in terms of being utterly dead in North America and still very living in Japan. I would guess no if I had to. Hopefully Atlus is able to swing it.
If you take out Spain where it doesn't do so horrible PSP is as dead as America in Europe.

Mpl90

Magicpaint said:
Yeah DoA would have benefited more from being a launch title.

...But if it were alone.Both SSFIV and DoA on launch day?DoA could have even had a worse debut! :p

Mpl90 said:
...But if it were alone.Both SSFIV and DoA on launch day?DoA could have even had a worse debut! :p
Possibly. Perhaps a week or two after then, I think DoA came around the time 3DS was really slowing down, and it just wasn't big enough to generate enthusiasm by itself, a game like it probably needed to ride on the waves of new hardware sold.

adamma666

apujanata said:
The most unique feature of the site is the Japan AND English name for the game. No other site have that feature.

BTW, I have a domain name for my old company, which I still maintain (since the cost is cheap, only $15 / year). Do you think it will be useful to post the data on my site ?

Oh, I would definitely like that :). But it's true that the site was not only awesome because there were numbers/charts for a huge amount of console-systems. The english translated game-names were what made it so great.

Dash Kappei said:
I'll try to contact fellow countryman Moor Angol about it.
It seems strange to me to think that J-GC is never coming back... I don't think that's the case but I'm not up to date to be honest

I haven't kept up with the reasons why japan-gamecharts had to close, so maybe you could shed some light on it. At least for me.

Mpl90

Magicpaint said:
Possibly. Perhaps a week or two after then, I think DoA came around the time 3DS was really slowing down, and it just wasn't big enough to generate enthusiasm by itself, a game like it probably needed to ride on the waves of new hardware sold.

Mmh...interesting point.
Maybe,they would have done better releasing it not after Steel Diver,but the week after Resident Evil,which was also the week before ZERUDA.

Mpl90

We're talking a lot today.
Now,we could talk about how in the hell Last Story sold worse than Blue Dragon,released ON 360!!! XD

BKK

Mpl90 said:
Yeah,PSP's situation is something never happened in the history of gaming industry.
PSP can be compared only with the Saturn,but even in this case,too much difference:simply,Saturn has never had a 4 million selling game :p

It was a similar situation for the PC Engine too. These consoles had lots of Japanese developer support, but little western developer support. It's not too surprising how things turned out for them.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mpl90 said:
We're talking a lot today.
Now,we could talk about how in the hell Last Story sold worse than Blue Dragon,released ON 360!!! XD
Not for Media Create. Last Story had mixed impressions. Xenoblade is a better example.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
Not for Media Create. Last Story had mixed impressions. Xenoblade is a better example.

Well,it is also true that MC last update about BD is in 2007,while Famitsu updated its sales in 2010.
I was making the comparison because of Sakaguchi:these are his two titles.

Mpl90 said:
For DoA,I've already said some posts ago that probably the brand has lost all the appeal he had in the past.
The last main entry on 360 did 100k,and since then 4 years have passed...

Taking in account the fact the DoA Paradise went to sell more than Dimensions last year, the bad result is even more stressed.

Labadal said:
Maybe this is asked in the wrong thread, but does anyone know if Gloria Union is being localized? Chances are slim, right?

There's no way Gloria Union will be localized. Atlus USA has already passed on two Yggdra Union spinoffs, Yggdra Unison (DS, 2009) and Blaze Union (PSP, 2010). If they bring any Sting game over, it'll be Gungnir, the fourth entry in the Dept. Heaven series. All three previous entries have been localized in both their original GBA/DS formats and their PSP ports. However, I suspect that Atlus USA intends to be done with the PSP after Persona 2: IS, so I don't think we'll see another Sting game make it out of Japan until they switch platforms.

wrowa

Chris1964 said:
If you take out Spain where it doesn't do so horrible PSP is as dead as America in Europe.
Sadly, Atlus doesn't do Europe anyway, so in this particular case the European condition of the PSP isn't much of importance.

Chris1964 said:
Blue Dragon was a well-advertised game with an Anime tie-in, while Xenoblade's marketing was okay ... for Nintendo's niche-game standards. I don't think it's really surprising. Same goes for Last Story.

Mpl90 said:
Well,it is also true that MC last update about BD is in 2007,while Famitsu updated its sales in 2010.
I was making the comparison because of Sakaguchi:these are his two titles.
I don't want to be a dick, so don't get it wrong, but you are missing some spaces. I can't tell you why, but it's driving me crazy.

Mpl90

electroplankton said:
Taking in account the fact the DoA Paradise went to sell more than Dimensions last year, the bad result is even more stressed.

Yes, this makes Dimensions results so far so depressing and absurd that they're funny. XD
@wrowa: Oh.
Very sorry for this. And thanks that you made me notice it. I'll not drive you crazy anymore XD

BKK

Famitsu Sales: Lifetime - 2011.04.24

3DS Top5:

01. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level-5) {2011.02.26} - 272.566
02. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} - 201.167
03. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Tecmo Koei) {2011.02.26} - 107.573
04. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 92.519
05. [3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai Games) {2011.02.26} - 77.090

Pokémon Spinoffs:
[WII] Pokémon Battle Revolution (Pokémon Co.) {2006.12.14} - 60.310 / 352.123
[NDS] Pokémon Dash (Pokémon Co.) {2004.12.02} - 50.011 / 348.376
[WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokémon Co.) {2009.12.05} - 57.185 / 334.706
[NDS] Pokémon Trozei! (Pokémon Co.) {2005.10.20} - 46.910 / 293.807
[NGC] Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (Pokémon Co.) {2005.08.04} - 100.970 / 265.464

Source: Weekly Famitsu #1171

hosannainexcelsis said:
There's no way Gloria Union will be localized. Atlus USA has already passed on two Yggdra Union spinoffs, Yggdra Unison (DS, 2009) and Blaze Union (PSP, 2010). If they bring any Sting game over, it'll be Gungnir, the fourth entry in the Dept. Heaven series. All three previous entries have been localized in both their original GBA/DS formats and their PSP ports. However, I suspect that Atlus USA intends to be done with the PSP after Persona 2: IS, so I don't think we'll see another Sting game make it out of Japan until they switch platforms.
Gungnir would probably make a smart 3DS/Vita release for overseas. I could also see Atlus USA still publishing the PSP version as their last hurrah on the system.

BKK

If we listen to certain publishers then even the niche PSP market is dead outside of Japan. I wouldn't hold my breath for PSP localisations anymore.

Come on, Nintendo. You cut plastic shapes out of the game packaging to reduce material use, then add secondary packaging to attract attention? asdioaiopfjas;werf

Busaiku

wrowa said:
Blue Dragon was a well-advertised game with an Anime tie-in, while Xenoblade's marketing was okay ... for Nintendo's niche-game standards. I don't think it's really surprising. Same goes for Last Story.
Nintendo definitely heavily advertised The Last Story.
It got bundles, its retail presence was made clear, and it even had its own conference.

BKK said:
If we listen to certain publishers then even the niche PSP market is dead outside of Japan. I wouldn't hold my breath for PSP localisations anymore.
Seems to vary a little, but Atlus USA is still doing Persona 2. Gungnir making it yet just wouldn't surprise me, that's all. Either way though, I think it'll get ported to newer handhelds anyway.

The bigger publishers (Capcom, Sega, Konami, Square Enix, Tecmo Koei, Namco Bandai, etc) all seem to be done though, yeah. Even Sony themselves too actually.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Come on, Nintendo. You cut plastic shapes out of the game packaging to reduce material use, then add secondary packaging to attract attention? asdioaiopfjas;werf
I think the rebrandings and new campaigns are a smart move. Nintendogs and Layton are both more mainstream games whose sales were definitely held back by the limited 3DS base and core focus. Both should keep selling as 3DS does, and starts reaching that wider audience their DS predecessors did.

BKK

The PSP games which get localised from now on will probably have pretty low print runs, good opportunity for collectors.

Nintendo need to drop the price of 3DS closer to the original DS and discontinue DSi and DSiLL. Replace DSiLL with 3DSLL if they have to.

Mpl90

About the new packages for Nintendogs and Layton,when will they hit the market.
Or,at least,is the Nintendogs one already out?

BKK said:
The PSP games which get localised from now on will probably have pretty low print runs, good opportunity for collectors.

Nintendo need to drop the price of 3DS closer to the original DS and discontinue DSi and DSiLL. Replace DSiLL with 3DSLL if they have to.

They need to use features that differentiate 3DS from DS; make games that use motion controls, streetpass and spotpass; games that really benefit from 3D; they need to release more 3D classics; they need to add more apps to the 3DS; they need to improve online functionality, add chat support, then make more games focused on online; they need to improve the eshop; they need to use the increased cartridge capacity; they need to add Wii U cross compatiblity; they need to provide more support for social networks; they need to make flipnote 3DS;

the problem with 3DS is not the price, the problem is with not having enough possible incentives provided to justify the system, even at a lower price; it really has the potential, but it is untapped. It is as if Nintendo for the first time has made a system that they didn't know what to do with it themselves, and now are at a loss.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Jun 27 - Jul 03, 2011 (week 27)

01. (__) [3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco) - 65,270 / 65,270 (ST: ~60% => 109,000)
02. (__) [PS3] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Capcom) - 53,320 / 53,320 (ST: ~80% => 67,000)
03. (__) [PSP] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers (Aquaplus) - 38,840 / 38,840
04. (__) [WII] GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo) - 37,028 / 37,028
05. (__) [PSP] Mashiro Iro Sympnony: Mutsu no Hana (Comfort) - 26,650 / 26,650
06. (04) [PSP] Danbill Senki (Level 5) - 25,471 / 235,608
07. (05) [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 25,353 / 233,492
08. (02) [PSP] Steins;Gate (Kadokawa Shoten) - 22,190 / 102,920
09. (01) [PS3] Meruru no Atelier: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 3 (Gust) - 15,993 / 109,423
10. (03) [PSP] Gundam Memories: Tatakai no Kioku (Bandai Namco) - 15,848 / 70,061
11. (__) [PSP] Beast Master and Prince Portable (Idea Factory) - 13,650 / 13,650
12. (__) [PS3] Test Drive Unlimited 2 (CyberFront) - 12,251 / 12,251
13. (08) [PS3] Yakuza: Of the End (SEGA) - 11,385 / 392,870
14. (10) [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 10,443 / 2,402,704
15. (__) [360] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition [Xbox 360 Platinum Collection] (Capcom) - 10,230 / 10,230
16. (07) [PS3] Bleach: Soul Ignition (SCE) - 8,180 / 33,175
17. (06) [NDS] Prince of Tennis Gyutto! Dokidoki Survival Umi to Yama no Love Passion (Konami) - 8,120 / 38,747
18. (__) [PS3] Virtua Tennis 4 (SEGA) - 7,817 / 7,817
19. (__) [NDS] Kaidan Restaurant Zoku! Shin Menu 100-sen (Bandai Namco) - 7,600 / 7,600
20. (__) [360] Test Drive Unlimited 2 (CyberFront) - 6,780 / 6,780

*ST: Sell-through => estimated copies shipped.

Other software (first week / LTD):
[PS2] Tales of the Abyss [all prices] (Namco) - 353,000 / 742,000

3DS hardware: 30k (+10% from last week)

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/381/381663/
http://megalodon.jp/2011-0710-0442-10/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

Week 26: 06-20~06-26

so they shipped 1/3 of 353 ToA firstweek on PS2 and expected to sell 1/3 of LTD, hence expecting the game to sell 250LTD on 3DS.

It may not even sell 150K.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BKK said:
Nintendo had 2 choices:

Force transition to 3DS stopping DS support or
have a smooth transition letting the market decide when DS is saturated.

Nintendo (and third parties following them) chose the first path and switched to 3DS alltogether wanting to create a big userbase before Vita hits. The problem for Nintendo with this scenario is that this way they cleared the way for PSP to increase its marketshare.

History showed that Nintendo chose the wrong way and discontinuing DS right now won't make things better since until big 3DS software titles start coming out at Fall it won't have any important impact to 3DS userbase.

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo had 2 choices:

Nintendo (and third parties following them) chose the first path and switched to 3DS alltogether wanting to create a big userbase before Vita hits. The problem for Nintendo with this scenario is that this way they cleared the way for PSP to increase its marketshare.

History showed that Nintendo chose the wrong way and discontinuing DS right now won't make things better since until big 3DS software titles start coming out at Fall it won't have any important impact to 3DS userbase.
they somehow expected 3DS to sell, to sell A LOT, with that average lineup, and 3D. I still don't get why they released the system so soon without having games prepared, whether 1st party or 3rd party.
another hole in their strategy, I believe, was lack of a proper 1st party game. I remember Iwata saying that this was done to give 3rd party games some room to breath, but how good would it be to them even if they had all the playground for themselves, while the user base stayed small, while gyro control and 3d wasn't put into real use until Zelda? it was a risky playground and I believe it will be until their bigger hitters come around fall.

walking fiend said:
so they shipped 1/3 of 353 ToA firstweek on PS2 and expected to sell 1/3 of LTD, hence expecting the game to sell 250LTD on 3DS.

It may not even sell 150K.
Early platform releases tend to have longer legs than usual for the same franchises. Eternia PSP makes a good example of that, and I think probably is a good barometer for how we can expect Abyss 3DS to perform.

The real question is how later Tales ports will do. They sort of fell off the cliff on PSP.

BKK said:

And even then, the companies over here who stick with the PSP are mostly doing so because they won't have anything to work on, otherwise.

The PSP is staggeringly dead here. It's virtually a vortex into which money goes, leaving behind only despair.

Mpl90

lunchwithyuzo said:
Early platform releases tend to have longer legs than usual for the same franchises. Eternia PSP makes a good example of that, and I think probably is a good barometer for how we can expect Abyss 3DS to perform.

The real question is how later Tales ports will do. They sort of fell off the cliff on PSP.

For later Tales of ports/remake... we must see how 3DS will sell software in the future.
In fact, when Phantasia and Destiny 2 came out, PSP was completely unable selling software... and these were the main years for DS,with 100k per week.
If 3DS obtains to gain a lot of popularity, later Tales of ports will do well.
But, however... not too many ports,please.
I think there will be a Symphonia remake (its engine is also Abyss' one...)... and nothing more in this contest.
Then, please, Namco, begin with the original content.
Even Symphonia 3. :p

Mpl90 said:
For later Tales of ports/remake... we must see how 3DS will sell software in the future.
In fact, when Phantasia and Destiny 2 came out, PSP was completely unable selling software... and these were the main years for DS,with 100k per week.
If 3DS obtains to gain a lot of popularity, later Tales of ports will do well.
But, however... not too many ports,please.
I think there will be a Symphonia remake (its engine is also Abyss' one...)... and nothing more in this contest.
Then, please, Namco, begin with the original content.
Even Symphonia 3. :p
After Hearts and Phantasia NDX both struggled, I doubt we see much in terms of original handheld Tales Studio efforts. I think 3DS is primed for more ports (Symponia? Graces?) and Alfasystem spinoffs (Narikiri Dungeon 4?) though.

BKK

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo had 2 choices:

If Nintendo had managed the transition from DS to 3DS well then I'm sure DS could live alongside 3DS for several more years. The problem I see is that they didn't differentiate the two platforms enough. Either they start a new marketing campaign showing the differences between the two platforms, or they continue with the confused message they're putting out now. DS is selling less than 10k/week they may aswell discontinue it and push 3DS as the new DS. They'll have to drop 3DS down to a price not too much higher than the current DS though.

Personally I think a new marketing campaign is preferable, but if they are to continue on their current path, then sell the 3DS as a DS and discontinue the old models.

Mpl90

lunchwithyuzo said:
After Hearts and Phantasia NDX both struggled, I doubt we see much in terms of original handheld Tales Studio efforts. I think 3DS is primed for more ports (Symponia? Graces?) and Alfasystem spinoffs (Narikiri Dungeon 4?) though.

You know what?
I'm baffled by the fact that Namco has put main entries of the series first on DS,then on 360(!!!!!!!!),then again on DS(in the same year!THE HELL! :lol ),then on Wii,and only now,we have a main entry on PS3...but we haven't had one on PSP.
On PSP,the Tales of the World have performed better than almost all the main entries on the other consoles.
Heck.Tales of Vs. had a better debut than Graces.
I thought Namco would have released a main Tales of on PSP,seeing these results.Now,it's too late,obviously.
So,I think main entries on portable consoles are possible,especially with a Wii/GC with HD shaders like the 3DS...and even more with Vita.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BKK said:
If Nintendo had managed the transition from DS to 3DS well then I'm sure DS could live alongside 3DS for several more years. The problem I see is that they didn't differentiate the two platforms enough. Either they start a new marketing campaign showing the differences between the two platforms, or they continue with the confused message they're putting out now. DS is selling less than 10k/week they may aswell discontinue it and push 3DS as the new DS. They'll have to drop 3DS down to a price not too much higher than the current DS though.

Personally I think a new marketing campaign is preferable, but if they are to continue on their current path, then sell the 3DS as a DS and discontinue the old models.
I don't think DS/3DS differentiation is such a big problem in Japan as in west. Compeling software is what hurts 3DS more right now, more than price.

Kid Ying

Busaiku said:
Nintendo definitely heavily advertised The Last Story.
It got bundles, its retail presence was made clear, and it even had its own conference.
Xenoblade got some ads too, including one of the girls from AKB48. I know sometimes it's the case on wii games, but you can't blame Nintendo for not advertising her rpgs.

And Taiko is gone. ;_; Hope it get's back next week.

I have the feeling that Xenoblade is viewed as a good game, and created a lot of attention around it, because of its quality and its presentation, while The Last Story has not be praised by the public at all, therefore it got negative word-of-mouth and a sequel will not sell well. On the contrary, a hypotetical Xenoblade 2 will be big.

Kid Ying

electroplankton said:
I have the feeling that Xenoblade is viewed as a good game, and created a lot of attention around it, because of its quality and its presentation, while The Last Story has not be praised by the public at all, therefore it got negative word-of-mouth and a sequel will not sell well. On the contrary, a hypotetical Xenoblade 2 will be big.
It could happen.

Last Story ended selling more than Xenoblade(if i remember, it was at 140k lifetime at Famitsu last year, but Media Create was at 160k, maybe it's the opposite, Chris can correct me) probably because of the big names involved in the game and the recent critical success of Xenoblade, but where Xenoblade was highly acclaimed by critics and players, Last Story wasn't praised by the public, so, maybe those who bought got burned by the game.

Well, we'll have to wait for Last Story 2 to hit(if it hits) to see.

M3d10n

Chris1964 said:
I don't think DS/3DS differentiation is such a big problem in Japan as in west. Compeling software is what hurts 3DS more right now, more than price.
3DS sales will keep increasing as software comes, but it will hit a plateau due to the price. History has shown that even when desirable software becomes available many people will wait if the price isn't there. Both the PS3 and in some ways the PSP are examples of this.

But unlikely the PS3 and PSP, the 3DS launched at a higher price than originally planned so there's lots of room for price dropping. I'm not sure Nintendo will get onto it before closing the fiscal year, however, unless things don't warm up enough when all the 2011 big guns are out.

BKK

Chris1964 said:

That's a fair point, but even with the huge sales of DS in Japan it still only accounted for less than 25% of total sales. I don't think Nintendo can afford to base their 3DS strategy on Japan alone. I don't think 3DS software is particularly bad for a new platform, but that's not something that can be easily fixed in a short amount of time anyway. I think Nintendo have overpriced 3DS, there should be plenty of room for them to drop the price and still profit on hardware. They should do this before PS Vita release.

x3r0123

BKK said:
That's a fair point, but even with the huge sales of DS in Japan it still only accounted for less than 25% of total sales. I don't think Nintendo can afford to base their 3DS strategy on Japan alone. I don't think 3DS software is particularly bad for a new platform, but that's not something that can be easily fixed in a short amount of time anyway. I think Nintendo have overpriced 3DS, there should be plenty of room for them to drop the price and still profit on hardware. They should do this before PS Vita release.

3DS' main problems are the price and software. I really doubt Nintendo will drop the price on the unit when the vita comes out. At most, I can see them do a game bundle then they will try to prolong it as long as possible.

Top Bottom