• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2011 (Jun 27 - Jul 3)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Mpl90 said:
01. / 00. [PS3] L.A. Noire (Rockstar Games) {2011.07.07}
02. / 00. [PS3] Infamous 2 (SCE) {2011.07.07}
03. / 00. [PS3] Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher) {2011.07.07}
04. / 00. [WII] Wii Play: Motion (Nintendo) {2011.07.07}
05. / 06. [PSP] Little Battler Xperience (Level 5) {2011.06.16}
06. / 05. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D {2011.06.16}
07. / 11. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) {2009.06.25}
08. / 00. [360] Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher) {2011.07.07}
09. / 04. [WII] Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo) {2011.06.30}
10. / 02. [PS3] Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition {2011.06.30}

Holy hell,another week with LBX and Zeruda near each other...what the hell :lol.

*blinks*

*rubs eyes*

*looks again*

W-where am I? How long was I asleep for?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nirolak said:
Well, you have to compare it to preview years.

Look at the numbers in the OP, and then look at the numbers for:
Week 26, 2010: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400607
Week 26, 2009: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366915
Week 26, 2008: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324183

They were all vastly better than this year.

Mmmh,I see that the only advantage for 2010 and 2009 is the first place (Inazuma 3 and Resort respectively,two of the most important games of the respective years,not like Abyss XD)...the other positions are pretty much the same as numbers (or even higher for 2011).
But week 26 of 2011 loses a bit in confront of 2008's one,not only because of two new releases at 140k.
I don't see the "vastly better" you are talking about.
And here I'm only talking about top10,because the numbers for 11-20 are absent for last years.

Mpl90

Mockingbird said:
Wii Play: Motion to have mega legs?

Boh.
It seems to have some sort of legs in UK,where it started out of the top40,and now,at its third week,it was 32nd.
We'll see in Japan,where Resort is coming back.
Strange. The new Wii bundle seems to have an effect which increases every week...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
Mmmh,I see that the only advantage for 2010 and 2009 is the first place (Inazuma 3 and Resort respectively,two of the most important games of the respective years,not like Abyss XD)...the other positions are pretty much the same as numbers (or even higher for 2011).
But week 26 of 2011 loses a bit in confront of 2008's one,not only because of two new releases at 140k.
I don't see the "vastly better" you are talking about.
And here I'm only talking about top10,because the numbers for 11-20 are absent for last years.
If we're just talking software, yes, but overall hardware is also a notable consideration.

Let me see if Garaph will render a chart of what I'm looking for.

Mpl90

Nirolak said:
If we're just talking software, yes, but overall hardware is also a notable consideration.

Let me see if Garaph will render a chart of what I'm looking for.

I was talking about software,in fact :p
For the hardware, I think it is a combination of natural decrease in sales for consoles with many years of activity (even if Wii has seen a huge slowdown,too huge for its previous numbers) and the absence of astronomical numbers from 3DS which is doing good now,but not what almost all here expected even in its first year.
And also earthquake effects: I remember Iwata talked about a rise in numbers only in Fall...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
I was talking about software,in fact :p
For the hardware, I think it is a combination of natural decrease in sales for consoles with many years of activity (even if Wii has seen a huge slowdown,too huge for its previous numbers) and the absence of astronomical numbers from 3DS which is doing good now,but not what almost all here expected even in its first year.
And also earthquake effects: I remember Iwata talked about a rise in numbers only in Fall...
I think that has more to do with them releasing Mario Kart and Super Mario in the Fall than the earthquake though. :p

Mpl90

Nirolak said:
I think that has more to do with them releasing Mario Kart and Super Mario in the Fall than the earthquake though. :p

Also! XD
But not only... in fact, he was talking about all the market, not only about the 3DS

Is a game like La Noire completely localized for the Japanese language? Did they go all the way and adjust the lip movement or just dub it over in Japanese? Or just use subtitles...

onken

Heavy said:
Is a game like La Noire completely localized for the Japanese language? Did they go all the way and adjust the lip movement or just dub it over in Japanese? Or just use subtitles...

The adverts have all the dialog in English so subtitled I guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
Also! XD
But not only... in fact, he was talking about all the market, not only about the 3DS
True, but I think the software situation applies to most platforms.

The PS3 has FFXIII-2 and Xillia in the second half, the PSP has Agito, and the Wii has Zelda, which should all give at least modest bumps to their platforms.

We'll also be adding the Vita to the market and a price cut for the PS3 seems quite likely.

By comparison, there really hasn't been much driving sales in the first half of the year this year.

The PSP is the only system that is up for example, and that just came off the release of MHP3 in the December.

That combined with the fact that sales normally go up in the Fall anyway make Iwata's prediction quite safe.

Elios83

Nirolak said:
True, but I think the software situation applies to most platforms.

The PS3 has FFXIII-2 and Xillia in the Fall, the PSP has Agito, and the Wii has Zelda, which should all give at least modest bumps to their platforms.

We'll also be adding the Vita to the market and a price cut in the PS3 seems quite likely.

By comparison, there really hasn't been much driving sales in the first half of the year this year.

The PSP is the only system that is up for example, and that just came off the release of MHP3 in the December.

PS3 should also get Ni No Kuni later this year, release date will be probably announced at TGS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Elios83 said:
PS3 should also get Ni No Kuni later this year, release date will be probably announced at TGS.
I'm highly cautious about making any assumptions that Level 5 will release a game on time. :lol

Mpl90

Nirolak said:
I'm highly cautious about making any assumptions that Level 5 will release a game on time. :lol

I fear Ninokuni will be released in 2012,because it is Level 5,indeed.
And also,this Christmas they have also IEGo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
I fear Ninokuni will be released in 2012,because it is Level 5,indeed.
And also,this Christmas they have also IEGo.
Yeah, I have to imagine that the priority goes to releasing Inazuma Eleven for them if something needs to be delayed.

Truth101

Banned
Nirolak said:

Have we got any more information of the 3DS games Level-5 has in development, minus Layton?

I thought Fantasy Life was slated for a 2011 release in Japan at least. I doubt we'll get one of them though this year =C

Mpl90

Truth101 said:
Have we got any more information of the 3DS games Level-5 has in development, minus Layton?

I thought Fantasy Life was slated for a 2011 release in Japan at least. I doubt we'll get one of them though this year =C

Inazuma Eleven Go is slated for this year
And so Kyabajoppi,which has changed in Cinderella Girls RPG.

test_account

XP-39C²
Erethian said:
I'm going to assume he's talking about Japan. Cause expecting a handheld port of an old console Tales game to do better than any other handheld ports have in the past, is the sort of thing Namco would do.
Fair enough :) It might very well be that he was only talking about the japanese sales indeed.

Mockingbird said:
Wii Play: Motion to have mega legs?
I'm curious on how well this game will sell compared to the first Wii Play game. Maybe Wii Play: Motion's sales will tell something about how active the Wii market is compared to before.

Truth101

Banned
Mpl90 said:
Inazuma Eleven Go is slated for this year
And so Kyabajoppi,which has changed in Cinderella Girls RPG.

I was hoping one of the new IPs would be released this year, there is still hope though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm, it seems Tales has broken with Eternia's sales.

Eternia (PSP):
Week 1: 74,630
Week 2: 30,144

Abyss (3DS):
Week 1: 74,173
Week 2: 10,034

BurntPork

Banned
Spiegel said:
PSP 26,373
3DS 22,943
PS3 22,900
Wii 13,068
DSi LL 4,811
DSi 4,725
Xbox 360 2,016
PS2 1,309
DS Lite 56
PSP go 34

LA Noire PS3 - 58k
360 - 13k
Infamous 2 - 33k
EDF PS3 - 30k
360 - 18k
Wii Play Motion - 17k

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20110713057/
Wow. I didn't think 3DS would drop that much. Nintendo needs to cut that price before they end up with another Gamecube. It's clear that the market willing to buy it at it's current price is saturated completely. It might already be too late, though, with Vita looming.

Cygnus X-1

Mpl90 said:
01. / 00. [PS3] L.A. Noire (Rockstar Games) {2011.07.07}
02. / 00. [PS3] Infamous 2 (SCE) {2011.07.07}
03. / 00. [PS3] Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher) {2011.07.07}
04. / 00. [WII] Wii Play: Motion (Nintendo) {2011.07.07}
05. / 06. [PSP] Little Battler Xperience (Level 5) {2011.06.16}
06. / 05. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D {2011.06.16}
07. / 11. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) {2009.06.25}
08. / 00. [360] Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher) {2011.07.07}
09. / 04. [WII] Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo) {2011.06.30}
10. / 02. [PS3] Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition {2011.06.30}

Holy hell,another week with LBX and Zeruda near each other...what the hell :lol.

Are we in Japan? Really?

Gravijah

BurntPork said:
Wow. I didn't think 3DS would drop that much. Nintendo needs to cut that price before they end up with another Gamecube. It might already be too late, though, with Vita looming...

If only you were talking about software output. Yummy.

Spiegel

Nirolak said:

Eternia (PSP):

Abyss (3DS):

That's mixing trackers

M-C:
Eternia (PSP):
Week 1: 80.650
Week 2: 30,489

Abyss (3DS):

BurntPork said:
Wow. I didn't think 3DS would drop that much. Nintendo needs to cut that price before they end up with another Gamecube.

The system will need a price drop after christmas, but it's not going to be another Gamecube.

BurntPork said:
Wow. I didn't think 3DS would drop that much. Nintendo needs to cut that price before they end up with another Gamecube. It's clear that the market willing to buy it at it's current price is saturated completely. It might already be too late, though, with Vita looming.
OMG... Not this again.

I think 3DS is enjoying good sales with its current line-up (ports and lazy efforts), as soon as we get to winter/holiday season we will know if its in need of a price cut or not.

Truth101

Banned
Nirolak said:

Eternia (PSP):

Abyss (3DS):

How many PSP unites were out in the wild when Eternia hit, Japan of course?

Sennorin

Banned
BurntPork said:

Lowering the price would be the best way to create "another GameCube". Price is not the 3DS´ primary problem. It is software, as has been proven by past software releases.

Dragon

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
OMG... Not this again.

I think 3DS is enjoying good sales with its current line-up (ports and lazy efforts), as soon as we get to winter/holiday season we will know if its in need of a price cut or not.

It should have a price cut before Vita releases at the latest. Lazy efforts? Reminds me of the PS3 Lazy Devs excuse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Truth101 said:
How many PSP unites were out in the wild when Eternia hit, Japan of course?
I don't know how to look up the exact number, but this many if we count the second week I think.

psprurv.png

Edit:

Nevermind, beaten by a better answer.

TheNatural

My Member!
BurntPork said:

It's stupid to cut the price of something a few months after launch, you only cut the price of something if you want to make an impact around a big release or the holidays. If they do, it would be in the holiday, and they would do a bundle before they cut the price. Not everything is about sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Truth101 said:
Ah, thanks.

If anyone knows. How was the marketing for Eternia compared to Abyss? Has the Tale brand been on decline any at all lately?

Sorry I'd look for myself, but I'm stuck at work right now.

It still amazes me at how the PSP was practically dead before MH3P hit.

Edit::

Thanks for your post too Nirolak.
We actually have a handy graph depicting this.

2132447294_full5nj3.jpg

The Eternia comparison is interesting though because Namco expected 250,000 units sold, and that's exactly where Eternia ended up after its initial release plus its budget re-release.

It's spurred speculation that this is why they expected Abyss to sell that much.

Mpl90

As said by allan-bn,3DS dropped because of the new color this week.
However,I have to see what happened in the past at various consoles the week before the release of a new color.

BurntPork said:
I really don't see what exactly Vita is doing to encourage people to pay $250 that 3DS won't be doing come this fall in terms of software. Sure Vita is the better hardware deal but shown by Wii and DS consumers, people don't care about that as much as the games.

Top Bottom