• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2015 (Jun 22 - Jun 28)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
How well does this compare to historic paid MMO performance.

The only numbers that come immediately to mind are WoW.

There's not much to say as the press release mentions users (much like Destiny - character profile), and not subscribers.

Oregano

If this isn't about the sequel, that would imply a 200k+ debut.

The chairman of Sega talks in Famitsu about how the state of home console games in Japan seems bad, but that looking at it globally gives it a different impression, and that they'll have home console games to announce at TGS.

I find it amusing that they say home console games when we know XBO and Wii U won't be getting games, especially not ones announced at TGS.

BriBri

Hamster likely owns a bunch if not all of Jaleco's library.
I just wondered whether Mechanic Arms' upcoming 3DS game is a resurrection of the Butasan franchise.
tumblr_inline_nr41pjDUF11rmjx4g_500.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just thought today that the recent Animal Crossing recent sale could be interesting to analyse. Since it's digital only, and it's actually been promoted on TV, we can see how many people are aware of such promotion and are ready to pick one of the biggest sellers this gen up on a digital console storefront / Amazon.co.jp / at retail through download codes. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a while before we get Famitsu digital numbers (the ones which, probably, aren't as accurate as they should either).

Just thought today that the recent Animal Crossing recent sale could be interesting to analyse. Since it's digital only, and it's actually been promoted on TV, we can see how many people are aware of such promotion and are ready to pick one of the biggest sellers this gen up on a digital console storefront / Amazon.co.jp / at retail through download codes. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a while before we get Famitsu digital numbers (the ones which, probably, aren't as accurate as they should either).

Advertisement of eShop promotion generally increased consumers' awareness of the game: retail sales also increased a lot the last week.

Ōkami

So, uhm, do we know for a fact how much the original Gen I Pokemon games did in Japan (Red/Blue/Green).

I've seen numbers that ranked from 7.78m to 10.23m (both figures put it as the all time best selling game in Japan), but that's a big difference and want to know which one agreed to be the correct one.

I've seen the later figure as Red/Green/Blue and as Red/Geen/Blue/Yellow, btw but want to make sure.

Xbro

Ōkami;171199406 said:
So, uhm, do we know for a fact how much the original Gen I Pokemon games did in Japan (Red/Blue/Green).

I've seen numbers that ranked from 7.78m to 10.23m (both figures put it as the all time best selling game in Japan), but that's a big difference and want to know which one agreed to be the correct one.

I've seen the later figure as Red/Green/Blue and as Red/Geen/Blue/Yellow, btw but want to make sure.

I believe the 10 Million figure counts Red/Green/Blue, whereas the 7 Million figure just counts Red/Green.

From what I understand anyway.

Ōkami

I believe the 10 Million figure counts Red/Green/Blue, whereas the 7 Million figure just counts Red/Green.

From what I understand anyway.
Blue wasn't release on retail until October 1999, just a little more than a month before Gold/Silver prior to that it was released to subscribers of CoroCoro.

Pokemon was insanely huge back then, but for Blue to have sold ~3m given the circumstances is rather hard to believe.

horuhe

Maybe has nothing to do with games, but today was released the Blu-ray/DVD of the Youkai Watch movie showed last December in Japan.

I do think it could affect positively in Busters! sales.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Maybe has nothing to do with games, but today was released the Blu-ray/DVD of the Youkai Watch movie showed last December in Japan.

I do think it could affect positively in Busters! sales.

I need to see this movie + Psycho-Pass

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It sounds like God Eater 3 will be announced soon:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/god-eater-developer-would-like-to-surprise-fans-for-the-series-5th-anniversary/

“We’re developing God Eater: Resurrection as a commemorative title for the series’ fifth anniversary; and not only that, but we’re also thinking of something that will further surprise fans as we go forward,” says Yoshimura. “I can’t say much about it, but I hope that we can surprise fans sometime during the fifth anniversary.”

Vena

So 2016 PSV/PS4 title probably. Bit surprised they haven't announced a localisation of Rage Burst yet.

Actually now that I think about it Toukiden is the Hunting Action series with most consistent and speedy localisations. That's kinda funny.

Didn't Toukiden flounder in the west with its most recent release? May be why we aren't seeing Rage Burst.

Vena

I thought TK said it did as expected?

I don't know. That's why I am asking.

Will edit as I dig through NPDs. Looks like no numbers were posted for it in the release month thread. That said, I don't know when or where TK said it did as expected or if that means it did well or not, lol. All I know from them is there old 2014 statement on the 200k+ shipment on PSV/PSP for Japan.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So, Disney Magic Castle 2 will be released the 5th of November.
Usually these kind of sequels sell less than the previous entry, but with Frozen's introduction and just releasing before Christmas. It has a chance of >500k

Are they making sure to put Elsa or Anna on the cover btw lol? I wonder if this game ends up being bigger than the 1st in Japan whether Nintendo would take a shot at localizing this game despite the poor Western performance of the 1st one.

I don't know. That's why I am asking.

Will edit as I dig through NPDs. Looks like no numbers were posted for it in the release month thread. That said, I don't know when or where TK said it did as expected or if that means it did well or not, lol. All I know from them is there old 2014 statement on the 200k+ shipment on PSV/PSP for Japan.

I believe there was some comments from K-T's EU Community Manager back when we weren't sure if some game (maybe Ar Nosurge Plus) was going to get a physical release or not that hinted that the retail sales of all or most of their games they released recently were not so good.

Dunno what does this exactly mean especially with K-T not slowing down on localizing and releasing stuff.

Oh man, I thought the mere promise of FF7R would result in higher sales of the PS4 in Japan. So far it's struggling to outsell the WiiU!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Are they making sure to put Elsa or Anna on the cover btw lol? I wonder if this game ends up being bigger than the 1st in Japan whether Nintendo would take a shot at localizing this game despite the poor Western performance of the 1st one.

Gematsu reported that the original game was at 950,000 units shipped WW...is that true? Did Namco state that in a recent PR? If that's the case, it would mean that...somehow (probably major overshipment), the game shipped around 400,000 units in the West. Can anyone confirm Namco actually stated the game is at 950,000 shipped WW?

Oregano

I don't know what he's referring too, but I certainly would be surprised if God Eater 3 were announced so soon.

Why? God Eater Resurrection is a pretty standard enhanced port from what I've seen and they probably want to release as many game as possible whilst Vita is still viable.

Didn't Toukiden flounder in the west with its most recent release? May be why we aren't seeing Rage Burst.

I don't think the PS4 version charted very well but it's not stopping them from localising their stuff.

Vena

I believe there was some comments from K-T's EU Community Manager back when we weren't sure if some game (maybe Ar Nosurge Plus) was going to get a physical release or not that hinted that the retail sales of all or most of their games they released recently were not so good.

Dunno what does this exactly mean especially with K-T not slowing down on localizing and releasing stuff.

I don't think the PS4 version charted very well but it's not stopping them from localising their stuff.

Mmkay, and you're right that they aren't slowing down in general. I only had the PS4 version per NPD non-charting as a data point outside of the PS4 version's non-existent performance in Japan.

Oh man, I thought the mere promise of FF7R would result in higher sales of the PS4 in Japan. So far it's struggling to outsell the WiiU!

Why would a non-existent game spur on sales? Of a damaged, devalued brand no less.

Oregano

Mmkay, and you're right that they aren't slowing down in general. I only had the PS4 version per NPD non-charting as a data point outside of the PS4 version's non-existent performance in Japan.

Why would a non-existent game spur on sales? Of a damaged, devalued brand no less.

I seem to remember it charted very low in the UK Top 40 as well but not much else. I wouldn't really have expected a Top 10 NPD debut anyway, MonHun barely managed that.

Jigorath

Banned
Not sure if posted already, but FFXIV seemingly hit 5 million all time subs recently

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/06/final-fantasy-xiv-previews-alexander-claims-5m-all-time-subs/

The figure was mentioned by the game director at the Japan expo. it was at 4 million users back on March.

5 million copies sold is pretty impressive. Goes to show that the best way to revitalize the Final Fantasy brand is to just release good Final Fantasy games.

And less Lightning.

Oregano

5 million copies sold is pretty impressive. Goes to show that the best way to revitalize the Final Fantasy brand is to just release good Final Fantasy games.

And less Lightning.

Not sure how they count subs but that might not necessarily mean 5 million copies sold.

Jigorath

Banned
Not sure how they count subs but that might not necessarily mean 5 million copies sold.

It says in the article:

To be clear, the current subscriber count hasn't been announced, nor has Square Enix ever shared this figure. The five million subscriber total doesn't include trial accounts, and only those who have at one time or another paid the $12.99/$14.99 monthly fee making it a substantial feat.

5 million people have paid for a subscription for at least a month. And you can't play the game without actually buying it in the first place so I assume this means 5m copies sold.

Oregano

It says in the article:

5 million people have paid for a subscription for at least a month. And you can't play the game without actually buying it in the first place so I assume this means 5m copies sold.

Can you not have multiple subscribers with one copy(especially on consoles)? Does it count me twice if I subscribe, cancel and then subscribe again at a later point?

I would assume that it does mean it has sold that much but it's not definite.

Fdkn

Can you not have multiple subscribers with one copy(especially on consoles)? Does it count me twice if I subscribe, cancel and then subscribe again at a later point?

You can't buy the game used, the disc is only for installing the game but what you really buy is a code that you use once and gets you to play for a month.

It doesn't count you twice if you lapse your sub, it's the same account.

Can you not use multiple accounts on the one installation either then?

No, each sale is 1 account only

I mean you can of course use another account on the same install but that means that account bought the game too.

Oregano

You can't buy the game used, the disc is only for installing the game but what you really buy is a code that you use once and gets you to play for a month.

It doesn't count you twice if you lapse your sub, it's the same account.

Can you not use multiple accounts on the one installation either then?

Jigorath

Banned

No? It's still the same account.

Vena

Oh, that's interesting. Seems kinda restrictive to be honest.

Aren't most MMOs account per disc? You can make multiple chars to an account, but I don't think there's any MMOs that can have multiple accounts to a single sale.

sense

if it doesn't count trial version then that should mean it has sold 5 million copies with atleast one month subscription. if true then that is very impressive

Oregano

Aren't most MMOs account per disc? You can make multiple chars to an account, but I don't think there's any MMOs that can have multiple accounts to a single sale.

Dunno to be honest, only ever tried a WOW trial. I do own a copy of FFXI that I never actually played though...

duckroll

Dunno to be honest, only ever tried a WOW trial. I do own a copy of FFXI that I never actually played though...

Game services are all about licenses and keys. The actual discs don't mean anything other than having something to boot up or install. You get one game license per package.

if it doesn't count trial version then that should mean it has sold 5 million copies with atleast one month subscription. if true then that is very impressive

I wonder if the figure include China though, they use a different model there I believe.

Oregano

Game services are all about licenses and keys. The actual discs don't mean anything other than having something to boot up or install. You get one game license per package.

I honestly assumed the opposite. That in the case of MMOs they wouldn't care about the reselling of physical media because the majority of revenue was generated from the subscription fee.

duckroll

I honestly assumed the opposite. That in the case of MMOs they wouldn't care about the reselling of physical media because the majority of revenue was generated from the subscription fee.

I don't think you understand how it works. They don't care about the physical media. The physical media itself is not important. The actual value is in the license key. The license key allows you to create an account, and then you can start paying a subscription fee. It identifies you as a user. If you want another account, you have to buy another license. You can either do this by buying a digital version of a game, or another physical copy. It doesn't matter either way. The key point is that there's a buy-in for each individual account.

This traditional business model is different from a free client subscription model, where it's free to download a client and create an account, but you need to pay a subscription fee. Another business model is pure free-to-play where both the client and the subscription is free, while microtransactions fund the service.

Oregano

I don't think you understand how it works. They don't care about the physical media. The physical media itself is not important. The actual value is in the license key. The license key allows you to create an account, and then you can start paying a subscription fee. It identifies you as a user. If you want another account, you have to buy another license. You can either do this by buying a digital version of a game, or another physical copy. It doesn't matter either way. The key point is that there's a buy-in for each individual account.

This traditional business model is different from a free client subscription model, where it's free to download a client and create an account, but you need to pay a subscription fee. Another business model is pure free-to-play where both the client and the subscription is free, while microtransactions fund the service.

Right, I assumed it worked more like the free client subscription model but then now that I think about it that doesn't make much sense with Digital.

casiopao

I noticed the same actually, at least in the UK.

I found my copy of XIII-2 for a tenner in Tesco about 6 months after launch (maybe slightly longer).

I couldn't even find any copies of Lightning Returns in supermarkets the same amount of time after launch.

Can't that also be caused by retailer don't want to order to much of the stock anymore as they noticed how bad FF13 brand have become?

Tsutaya's report

- Fire Emblem Fates popularity continued this week. Stock problems were still present and it probably reduced sales.
- Rhythm Heaven and Splatoon recovered positions.
- Persona 4: Dancing All Night is popular too, especially among women.

For next week:

- Yo-kai Watch Busters will be on the top. Pre-orders are so good that you wouldn't think that it's a spin off. Also the new season of the Anime starts this weekend, and it will drive interest the following weeks.
- The Great Ace Attorney has good pre-orders. It's expected to sell on par to Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (NDS).
- Taiko Drum Master V (Vita) pre-orders are growing. Attention for this too.

Yup. Yokai is trully aiming to beat that Pokemon spin-off number. Anyone know how does Pokemon Conquest does? I feel Busters is going to even reach that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon number.

Ace Attorney seems to do as well as I predicted then.^_^ that loli watson is simple MOE. And doing as good as Investigations 1 ease my heart as at first, I am a bit scared on the game as the hype for the game is a lesser than the last one which could translate to the game doing worst than last one.

Everything else was Nintendo though lol. Splatoon, Rhythm Heaven, Animal Crossing promotion and of course Fire Emblem is killing it.^_^

I believe people are not so stupid to fall into the same hole again and again there. Remember Versus and The Last Guardian last generation? It may happen to FF7R there.

Oregano

Vita has four retail Square Enix games announced for it. One FF, two DQ and SaGa.

That's a big turnaround in support.

Top Bottom