• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2013 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Yeah i don't think there is much that can come from those besides the fact that MH4will obviously be huge, although it doesn't seem like NSLU did amazing numbers

I think wiiu hardware will be more interesting than pikminsnumbers since is the biggest game since launch and likely the biggest game until Zelda and even Zelda might not outsell it

Looks like Pikmin in the number 1 slot (despite being on sale only one day), and New Super Mario Bros U getting a bump as well. :)

Let's just see how some of these games sell......

I have no doubt that Pikmin 3 will sell well and will boost hardware sales, so people will be quick to say that price isn't the problem and it's about games. However, the occasional hardware boost from a big game means little if a system has sparse consistent chart presence. The 3DS has 9 times in the Top 20 this week, and only one of those launched this week. If a system launches one big game, gets a temporary boost, and then goes back to low hardware and software sales a couple weeks later, then it wasn't much of a benefit.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Out of curiosity was there anything releasing this week that was likely to outsell it?

No. You can try and make some guesses based on how Wii U titles before Pikmin 3 have done, but even that is probably too difficult.

Looks like Pikmin in the number 1 slot (despite being on sale only one day), and New Super Mario Bros U getting a bump as well. :)
Two days.
so are these numbers good for Sony and the Vita?
Toukiden has done very well, Vita itself outside of big releases isn't doing so hot.
Out of curiosity was there anything releasing this week that was likely to outsell it?
Youkai Watch was the only other semi-big game released this week, but I don't think it was likely to outsell Pikmin 3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No. You can try and make some guesses based on how Wii U titles before Pikmin 3 have done, but even that is probably too difficult.

Youkai Watch was the only other semi-big game released this week, but I don't think it was likely to outsell Pikmin 3.
On this note I feel Level 5 messed up with Youkai Watch.

This was their one shot to launch a major Pokemon title before Pokemon came out, but so far it doesn't seem like it will be big out the gate.

I guess they still have a shot at good legs.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Pikmin 3 really sold only 5x New Super Mario Bros. U, they'd better hope a ton of new system purchasers were this week and that they picked up NSMBU, too. Cause otherwise, uh ...

That is the NSL U expansion.

Wii U needed a big game to push it for at least a couple of weeks. Hopefully Pikmin 3 is that game.

It will be below 10k in 2 weeks. But i really don't see howselling 20-30k for a few weeks changes anything.

When this is the lineup

Japan

07/18
Sniper Elite V2

07/25
LEGO City Undercover

08/08
Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD for Wii U

08/24
The Wonderful 101

09/05
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Low-Price Reprint)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

09/19
Skylanders: Spyro no Daiboken

09/26
Disney Epic Mickey 2: Futatsu no Ryoku
San Goku Shi 12 with Power-Up Kit
Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto

11/28
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Throw in Wii party, zelda. and 3d world for later on

They probably would have been better off waiting another month in japan because they have absolutely no momentum for wiiu for months. I guess they needed something good to tell investors because the Q1 report for wiiu will be disastrous

BriBri

Speaking of unreliable sales sources, Youkai Watch isn't on the eShop top twenty. All notable recent releases (including Donkey Kong, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami, Luigi etc etc) have charted in the first week and there has been somewhat of a parallel with retail rankings.

What exactly do Comgnet's points mean//translate to?

I think they're actual sales at the store, but given it's one store and very low volume this is why they're hard to derive much from.

I am not completely sure about this and may very well be off on this, but this is my current understanding about Comgnet points:

The "TV Game Reservation Rankings" (TVゲーム予約ランキング) is the aggregate of Comgnet preorders.

So "[3DS]モンスターハンター4 – 1785pt" should mean there are 1,785 preorders for Monster Hunter 4.

And I believe the "New Software Sales Rankings" (新作ソフト売上ランキング) is the combination of weekly sales from all 18 Comgnet stores.

So "[WiiU]ピクミン 3 – 144pt" should mean Comgnet (the retailer) sold 144 Pikmin 3 units through July 14th (tracking period: July 8th - July 14th).

crinale

The big problem is that a Wii U price drop will convince buyers that these dramatic early price drops are a regular event. It's better to increase the system's value via bundles, deals, etc.

This is exactly the reason WiiU is tanking, since people have learned it with 3DS.
(Not the whole reason but one of the reasons).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I am not completely sure about this and may very well be off on this, but this is my current understanding about Comgnet points:

The "TV Game Reservation Rankings" (TVゲーム予約ランキング) is the aggregate of Comgnet preorders.

So "[3DS]モンスターハンター4 – 1785pt" should mean there are 1,785 preorders for Monster Hunter 4.

And I believe the "New Software Sales Rankings" (新作ソフト売上ランキング) is the combination of weekly sales from all 18 Comgnet stores (although Nirolak may be right in that it's from one particular Comgnet store / a few Comgnet stores...I'm not completely sure on this one).

So "[WiiU]ピクミン 3 – 144pt" should mean Comgnet (the retailer) sold 144 Pikmin 3 units through July 14th (tracking period: July 8th - July 14th).
Sorry by "one store" I meant "one store (chain)" as opposed to literally just one physical store.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya weekly chart:

01 (__) [WIU] Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
02 (__) [3DS] Youkai Watch (Level 5)
03 (01) [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 (D3 Publisher)
04 (02) [PSV] Toukiden (Koei Tecmo)
05 (03) [PSP] Toukiden (Koei Tecmo)
06 (__) [PS3] Dead Island: Riptide (Spike Chunsoft)
07 (__) [WIU] New Super Luigi U (Nintendo)
08 (06) [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life (Nintendo)
09 (04) [PS3] Gundam Breaker (Bandai Namco Games)
10 (05) [PS3] The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment)
11 (__) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (Konami)
12 (08) [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo)
13 (07) [3DS] Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode (Bandai Namco Games)
14 (09) [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (Atlus)
15 (10) [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: The Alchemist of Empty Twilight (Gust)
16 (14) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
17 (25) [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best) (Spike)
18 (13) [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo)
19 (11) [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Battle! (Bandai Namco Games)
20 (16) [PS3] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft)

DaBoss

I wonder if they would makea series entry for 3DS and what kind of numbers they consider a success for 3.

Would the 3DS even be able to handle Pikmin? It would have to be downgraded severely, its CPU is weaker than the GCN's. They would probably have to make it like 50 Pikmin or less at once.

watershed

Banned
I wonder if they would makea series entry for 3DS and what kind of numbers they consider a success for 3.

There's a Miyamoto quote somewhere about how they tested Pikmin on the 3ds in some form but weren't happy with the results. I imagine the game would have to be quite different because of how far away the camera is, the number of pikmin on screen at once, etc.

There's a Miyamoto quote somewhere about how they tested Pikmin on the 3ds in some form but weren't happy with the results. I imagine the game would have to be quite different because of how far away the camera is, the number of pikmin on screen at once, etc.

The quotes in question:

Code:
"We actually explored the possibilities by testing Pikmin on Nintendo DS
and 3DS, but it tended to be nothing more than simple management by using the
stylus. By all means, It just didn’t feel like Pikmin."
        - Shigeru Miyamoto, 4Gamer interview

"We did actually create versions of Pikmin on 3DS and Game Boy Advance, but they 
were versions that I wasn't really happy with until we came to this version on the Wii U 
and I finally felt like I was able to create the Pikmin game that I wanted to create."
        - Shigeru Miyamoto, Official Nintendo Magazine interview

Basically, Pikmin would have to be downgraded to a point where it just wouldn't live up to the integrity of the Pikmin series.

watershed

Banned
The quotes in question:

Code:
"We actually explored the possibilities by testing Pikmin on Nintendo DS
and 3DS, but it tended to be nothing more than simple management by using the
stylus. By all means, It just didn’t feel like Pikmin."
        - Shigeru Miyamoto, 4Gamer interview

"We did actually create versions of Pikmin on 3DS and Game Boy Advance, but they 
were versions that I wasn't really happy with until we came to this version on the Wii U 
and I finally felt like I was able to create the Pikmin game that I wanted to create."
        - Shigeru Miyamoto, Official Nintendo Magazine interview

Basically, Pikmin would have to be downgraded to a point where it just wouldn't live up to the integrity of the Pikmin series.

Cool thanks. To be honest I'd still like to see some kind of Pikmin game on a handheld. I think Pikmin could transition nicely into a 2d platformer where Olimar or someone leads a smaller group of Pikmin around, kind of like Kirby Mass Attack or other 2d side scrollers that have featured multiple protagonists on screen at the same time, maybe even a bit like A Boy and His Blob type stuff.

Basically, I really like Pikmin and think it could be expanded beyond the RTS genre.

hatchx

Banned
Cool thanks. To be honest I'd still like to see some kind of Pikmin game on a handheld. I think Pikmin could transition nicely into a 2d platformer where Olimar or someone leads a smaller group of Pikmin around, kind of like Kirby Mass Attack or other 2d side scrollers that have featured multiple protagonists on screen at the same time, maybe even a bit like A Boy and His Blob type stuff.

Basically, I really like Pikmin and think it could be expanded beyond the RTS genre.

You....sort of just blew my mind. This could be great.

And here is Tsutaya: http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

As for Comgnet:

Pikmin 3 - ??? (144pt)
Luigi - ??? (33pt)

Dragon Quest X - 33.302 (35pt)
Game Wario - 22.491 (32pt)

Looks like a 100k+ debut for Pikmin.

Maybe, luigi is below Toukiden on both so if it has a regularish 60% drop from this week it would be around 17k next week and if pikmin is slightly less than 5x luigi that would put it more in the 70-85k range.

Tsutaya weekly chart:

01 (__) [WIU] Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
02 (__) [3DS] Youkai Watch (Level 5)
03 (01) [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 (D3 Publisher)
04 (02) [PSV] Toukiden (Koei Tecmo)
05 (03) [PSP] Toukiden (Koei Tecmo)
06 (__) [PS3] Dead Island: Riptide (Spike Chunsoft)
07 (__) [WIU] New Super Luigi U (Nintendo)
08 (06) [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life (Nintendo)
09 (04) [PS3] Gundam Breaker (Bandai Namco Games)
10 (05) [PS3] The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment)
11 (__) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (Konami)
12 (08) [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo)
13 (07) [3DS] Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode (Bandai Namco Games)
14 (09) [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (Atlus)
15 (10) [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: The Alchemist of Empty Twilight (Gust)
16 (14) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
17 (25) [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best) (Spike)
18 (13) [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo)
19 (11) [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Battle! (Bandai Namco Games)
20 (16) [PS3] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft)

EDF Hanging in hell yeah. The Last of Us seems to have some legs.

I think my Pikmin prediction was 115k. It should do a 100k+ since all its previous titles did iirc

Top Bottom