• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2015 (Jun 29 - Jul 05)

Or they could go with the rusty model, get a good free base game and buy more game piecemeal. Iwata said he is against whale hunting and that makes me think normal mobile get-rich-quick rules are going out the window.

I'm assuming they aren't taking a pro-consumer approach to the game :V

Besides, stamina and retry mechanics aren't exactly whaley if there are no persistence mechanics to go along with them.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's not even 600K day one. People are trying to say that Persona 5 isn't going to outsell Splatoon at all which I disagree with. How fast and if it will outsell either this year or next? Time will tell.

Persons 5 has no chance to outsell Splatoon.

I think this is the lowest I've ever seen Puzzle & Dragons go:

padcollapse7pkos.png

Right on cue... P&D just announced they're removing the lowest rarity tier of monster from their gachapon
https://twitter.com/pad_sexy/status/618977234024464384

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
i don't even know big persona is lol

200k first week maybe? 300k PS4+PS3? 400k LTD

400-500k is a reasonable but Splatoon is going to be nearing 750-800k by the holidays.

Honestly though I don't even know why people are trying to compare the sales of the two games together.

Mory Dunz

tbh, Splatoon vs [insert game] is more interesting and less annoying than DQ11 speculation and pre-justificaiton justification

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Well that's totally different from the person you were quoting and saying that it was "reasonable."

...What? Am I missing something, or did you not type:

in response to:

...?

I actually had "opening" in my post then edited it out just so I could fish some pariahs for fun.

No, I really did. Actually I thought people would be reasonable and didn't think I needed it in there. Obviously though I'm now in the systems wars bullshit camp, yup I guess I am.

FluxWaveZ

I mean you could just ask a mod, they can see edits, but they'd probably just laugh at you.

It doesn't matter to me that you did or not, what I find hilarious is how much you're freaking out about it when it was apparently you trying to "fish some pariahs for fun." Definitely the master plan of someone who would feel the need to type out:
Keep on reaching though.
In response to pointing out the sentence where you apparently intentionally omitted "LTD" and/or "FW."

I actually had "opening" in my post then edited it out just so I could fish some pariahs for fun.

No, I really did.
Actually I thought people would be reasonable and didn't think I needed it in there. Obviously though I'm now in the systems wars bullshit camp, yup I guess I am.
Congrats on being a complete weirdo. Sheesh.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't matter to me that you did or not, what I find hilarious is how much you're freaking out about it when it was apparently you trying to "fish some pariahs for fun." Definitely the master plan of someone who would feel the need to type out:

In response to pointing out the sentence where you apparently intentionally omitted "LTD" and/or "FW."

Clearly sarcasm.

I also didn't omit "opening" I deleted it. The difference is that I considered it opening at that number in the first week and then decided it probably would take it a couple weeks to reach those sales.

Congrats on being a complete weirdo. Sheesh.

I'm clearly being sarcastic.

In the end I guess I'm attacking Persona or a PS4 game or whatever shitshow the media create thread has turned into.

duckroll

There's this Romance of the Three Kingdoms spin-off right? Coming this year too I believe.

That has no date at all. It could be released by the end of this year, but there's no indication of such. We don't even know much about the game. Could also be out early next year to capitalize on the build up of hype towards the new game.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
That has no date at all. It could be released by the end of this year, but there's no indication of such. We don't even know much about the game. Could also be out early next year to capitalize on the build up of hype towards the new game.

I don't know if Level-5 would want to miss out on the Holiday season though.

Is the MH story spinoff slated for this holiday or is it release date not announced.?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This means that 2016 will see main Yokai Watch v.s. semi-main Pokemon all over again.

Vinnk

Why do people assume P5 is going to have long legs? Honest question. No snark.

If the game does 600k opening week then yeah it might beat Splatoon numbers for the year, but I would say there is very little chance of it beating Splatoon LTD.

Unless I'm missing something..

Is there a tie-in anime? That could pull more people in after launch week.

Usually poplar RPGs open big and then drop like rocks. Why is it believed P5 will perform different?

Why do big RPGs usually drop so quickly. It's the resale market at work. If early adopters beat the game quick they can sell it back at near retail price (and if there are shortages for more than retail price). But once these used copies start hitting the market the bubble bursts quickly and people pick up cheaper used copies. Other than really hardcore gamers, few people keep a "Library" of titles here.

I know P4:The Golden lingered on the Vita charts for a long time but that seemed to be more of an anomaly that a precedent. It launched shortly after the vita (at the same time?) and it was the go-to game to pick up with the system.

As for mindshare in Japan, Splatoon is big right now. People are talking about it. Kids, adults. People who don't have WiiUs.

RPG gamers are excited about P5. Very excited. But at least at this time there is not nearly the level mainstream hype.

Splatoon on the other hand I can see getting a big bump at the holidays (like Nintendo games do every year). And then having lingering low chart (or off chart) sales until the NX.

I will be first to admit I have not been following P5 closely (though I plan to pick it up), but I live in Japan and unless there is some massive ad push by Atlus or a new anime tie in, or an irresistible bundle, I don't see it overtaking Splatoon.

But is there something I am overlooking or forgetting?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Koei Tecmo's IR presentation seem to imply that both FF Dissidia & YW Romance of 3 Kingdoms (collaborative IP) will be out by March 2016.

So either December launch with film, or early 2016 as duckroll mentioned, to capitalize on the build up of hype towards the new game.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
MH Stories is 2016.

So, we have

-MH X Holiday 2015
-Yokai Busters ???
-MH Stories 2016
-Yokai Watch 3 2016
(Possibly a G version of X in 2016 maybe cross platform with the NX)

3DS is going to have some good hitters to go out on next year.

BriBri

So, we have

-MH X Holiday 2015
-Yokai Busters ???
-MH Stories 2016
-Yokai Watch 3 2016
(Possibly a G version of X in 2016 maybe cross platform with the NX)
Dragon Quest XI

3DS is going to have some good hitters to go out on next year.
Fixed
;-)

Yeah, there's no way Level-5 is going to release just one YW 3DS game this year. It might well be that, though, they saw really high preorders for Busters and thought the craziness is still there; also, they have mobile spinoffs, which can keep consumers' awareness high. They might release the KT crossover in December, to exploit the movie or simply a third version of Busters.

duckroll

Koei Tecmo's IR presentation seem to imply that both FF Dissidia & YW Romance of 3 Kingdoms (collaborative IP) will be out by March 2017.

So either December launch with film, or early 2017 as duckroll mentioned, to capitalize on the build up of hype towards the new game.

2017? :p

casiopao

This means that 2016 will see main Yokai Watch v.s. semi-main Pokemon all over again.

Stay strong Busaikuuuuuu.^_^

And this time Mon Hun Stories will also launch 2016... It is going to be bloody year for monster collecting game. Let's just hope DQ monster 3 will release this year rather than next year as that is going to be total war level lol.

Yokai Watch 3 is coming out in Summer 2016: http://www.youkai-watch.jp/yw3/

Looks like Busters might be the only YW title on the 3DS coming out this year.

Hmmm that's strange. Level-5 surely would not want to miss holiday sales where currently they and Nintendo seems to be having a great time. Possible, new IP launch time?

And, when is Snack World is going to be released any news?

Why do people assume P5 is going to have long legs? Honest question. No snark.

If the game does 600k opening week then yeah it might beat Splatoon numbers for the year, but I would say there is very little chance of it beating Splatoon LTD.

Unless I'm missing something..

Is there a tie-in anime? That could pull more people in after launch week.

Usually poplar RPGs open big and then drop like rocks. Why is it believed P5 will perform different?

Why do big RPGs usually drop so quickly. It's the resale market at work. If early adopters beat the game quick they can sell it back at near retail price (and if there are shortages for more than retail price). But once these used copies start hitting the market the bubble bursts quickly and people pick up cheaper used copies. Other than really hardcore gamers, few people keep a "Library" of titles here.

I know P4:The Golden lingered on the Vita charts for a long time but that seemed to be more of an anomaly that a precedent. It launched shortly after the vita (at the same time?) and it was the go-to game to pick up with the system.

As for mindshare in Japan, Splatoon is big right now. People are talking about it. Kids, adults. People who don't have WiiUs.

RPG gamers are excited about P5. Very excited. But at least at this time there is not nearly the level mainstream hype.

Splatoon on the other hand I can see getting a big bump at the holidays (like Nintendo games do every year). And then having lingering low chart (or off chart) sales until the NX.

I will be first to admit I have not been following P5 closely (though I plan to pick it up), but I live in Japan and unless there is some massive ad push by Atlus or a new anime tie in, or an irresistible bundle, I don't see it overtaking Splatoon.

But is there something I am overlooking or forgetting?

Well, I believe the fact that Persona mindshare is currently growing outside of Japan makes me people goes more agresive on their prediction there. They probably don't know the nature of Jrpg usually in Japan which is why they can see P5 doing even better than Splatoon.

YW3 not coming out until next year accomplishes a few things:

1) Makes it slightly harder for L5 to run the franchise straight into the ground.
2) Gives the west time to catch up.
3) Gives them plenty of room to whore the fucking hell out of their spin-offs.

The only real issue IMO is that since everybody and their mom already owns a copy of YW2 the main series will be pretty much dead in sales until next year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So Hinos goal is to outsell Pokémon Z and DQ XI in the same year... This would quite the accomplishnent. Uh oh....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm guessing they don't want to lose another IP, so they're going to focus on quality with their release date planning.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think you quite realize how far the game has permeated, lol.

I also think a lot of people are overestimating P5 (which will still perform better than P4) based on things like PQ (cross base popularity) and the expanded re-releases.

I've said this before, but we've already been seeing the changes under the skin for Nintendo's external relations.

Problem is, outside of the Nindie stuff under Baker, most of the changes aren't going to become "console apparent" until the WiiU is shed. Its simply a shackle and a dead end for any one to invest in in any form. The 3DS is too old but its also seeing a lot of new benefits from their changes with regards to indies but, again, that stuff is easy to see. (Mind you, some bridges are burned for good.)

I suppose, referring to changes under the skin, you mean the Skylanders partnership, and the Nindie love for sure. But are you referring to other things as well?

Top Bottom