• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2015 (Jun 29 - Jul 05)

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-Through {2015.07.09}

[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken # <ADV> (Capcom) (¥6.264) - 40-50%

[PSV] Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145) - 40-50%

Rabbids Land

[3DS] Super Run For Money Tousouchuu Atsumare! Saikyou no Tousou Monotachi <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.119) - There's a special episode airing next weekend...
Maybe it will be ok...

vareon

Tousouchuu used to be the 3DS poster game for "game came out of nowhere and keeps selling". Those were funny times.

Tousouchuu used to be the 3DS poster game for "game came out of nowhere and keeps selling". Those were funny times.

Quello, both games sold really well. The funniest thing was how the games increased as a new episode aired. This will sell way less than previous ones but might still have legs.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
[3DS] Super Run For Money Tousouchuu Atsumare! Saikyou no Tousou Monotachi <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.119) - There's an special episode the next weekend...
Maybe it will be ok...

Any chance this is due to increased expectations from retailers after the unexpected success of the previous 3DS titles?

both splatoon and persona will be doing 500k+

but splatoon has way more potential to sell more than persona, as we've yet to see how much persona has really improved

Any chance this is due to increased expectations from retailers after the unexpected success of the previous 3DS titles?
didn't the second one do less? even though it did well, this one looking to be following that trend

Darius

Banned
Can anyone check if amazon Japan removed the option to view their yearly sales charts or simply moved them to another section?

Xbro

Can anyone check if amazon Japan removed the option to view their yearly sales charts or simply moved them to another section?

I tried manually typing in the URL, but even that didn't work. Perhaps it's down for maintenance.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS4 and PS3. Some people in here are predicting Splatoon selling like gangbusters and hitting a million copies this year. I think it will just barely hit around 700K-800K well all is said in done. As for P5, I expect it to sell fairly well.

Who are these people, because I didn't see them. Splatoon is already at 450k and last week sold over 30k copies with Obon and December waiting. Maybe something unexpected happens and suddenly stops selling. Then it will have 700-800k LTD.

This is a pointless conversation anyway, you must be the only who expects that sales trend from Splatoon after what it has showed last weeks.

Darius

Banned
PS4 and PS3. Some people in here are predicting Splatoon selling like gangbusters and hitting a million copies this year. I think it will just barely hit around 700K-800K well all is said in done. As for P5, I expect it to sell fairly well.

If you think Splatton will sell 700k-800k units. What lofty expectation do you have for Persona 5 then, if its supposed to easily outsell Splatoon? Can you tell us what your actual prediction for Persona 5 is?

I tried manually typing in the URL, but even that didn't work. Perhaps it's down for maintenance.

It would be nice if it´s just maintenance.

casiopao

So u believe that Obon and December won't help Splatoon to sell more when years after years have proven that those 2 period is Nintendo strongest period here?

And for Persona V beating Splatoon? I would suggest u see the best selling game in PS3 and see whether P5 brand is stronger than that brand right now.

hiska-kun

It would help if your memories were actually correct before putting your feet in your mouths, gentlemen.

That isn't what you said before, my friend.

144. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) - 54.140 / 329.050 (137.076 <84,11%>)

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/06/well-how-many-copies-did-persona-4-and-devil-survivor-sell/

So about 739K roughly. I think people forgot that Persona 4 Golden is not the only Persona 4 that came out. P4G saw decreased sales because it was put only on Vita. Had the game been released on PS3 along with Vita, I daresay sales would have doubled. Now, Splatoon has legs, but IMO I'm not so high on it hitting 500-600K LTD not until November or December if this year at all. Judging just by Japan, I can see P5's LTD hitting around 550K for this year depending on how well received it is. Has anything shown up in Comgnet yet?

And that's what I replied to you:

Splatoon will be over 500k easily before summer ends (quote me on that by the end of August). That's ignoring the already confirmed +58k digital sales.

Splatoon will be over 700k easily by the end of this year. That's if it's NOT bundled later.

Now, I truly believe that Persona 5 will sell really great. But there's no way to surpass Splatoon.

And then you replied what you're quoting. And there you're implying that Splatoon won't reach 700k this year.

But I'll stop here. Everybody is pointing you how wrong you are. The trend is clear. And summer vacations havn't started yet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Continuing the trend of third party titles getting more involved with Nintendo digital policies (The Great Ace Attorney and Super Run for Money being the first titles to get digital versions available on Amazon.co.jp), it seems Langrisser is the first third party title to get pre-download too. Can anyone check out if this is confirmed?

...Langrisser as the prophet of third party pre-downloading? Really?

500k first shipment for AC:HHD. That seems quite huge but after all AC is a big IP in Japan.

didn't the second one do less? even though it did well, this one looking to be following that trend

Yes, but it still pulled 350k+ units, which are a lot considering the type of game and the fact that it really looks low-budget (there are licensing fees though).

Continuing the trend of third party titles getting more involved with Nintendo digital policies (The Great Ace Attorney and Super Run for Money being the first titles to get digital versions available on Amazon.co.jp), it seems Langrisser is the first third party title to get pre-download too. Can anyone check out if this is confirmed?

...Langrisser as the prophet of third party pre-downloading? Really?

wasn't dai gyakuten saiban preload-able too?

Mpl90

wasn't dai gyakuten saiban preload-able too?

I don't know, I just read it on Japanese3DS.com (one of BriBri's blogs). Was Dai Gyakuten Saiban the first, then? And I suppose, at this point, Super Run for Money was pre-downloadable as well, right?

Dee Dee

50% sell-through for Ace Attorney? :/
Could they still at least dump an English version straight to mobile if this flops, or will they not invest at all into this IP in the west?

I don't know, I just read it on Japanese3DS.com (one of BriBri's blogs). Was Dai Gyakuten Saiban the first, then? And I suppose, at this point, Super Run for Money was pre-downloadable as well, right?

I think so. I saw someone mentioned it on twitter last month. Didn't check it myself.

Mpl90

I think so. I saw someone mentioned it on twitter last month. Didn't check it myself.

Mmh...this could explain why, all of a sudden, we had two third party games having download SKUs available on Amazon.co.jp around a week before the release. Still, could you check if Langrisser is available for pre-loading?

Mmh...this could explain why, all of a sudden, we had two third party games having download SKUs available on Amazon.co.jp around a week before the release. Still, could you check if Langrisser is available for pre-loading?

yep. already available for preload

Mpl90

yep. already available for preload

Great, thanks.
Good to see third parties not only getting download versions available on Amazon.co.jp, but preloading too. Hopefully, it expands further and further in the future.

sense

so I know the popular opinion is that vita isn't going to get a successor and I do agree that it would be very risky considering the state of handhelds in general with only nintendo finding success due to their strong first party.

the question I have is, could the vita successor be a smartphone that can play vita games? i see all these games being announced for vita alongside ps4 and ps3. i know there is an attachment that sony started promoting last year with their own xperia z3 for remote play

41m36f9AztL.jpg

to be clear i am talking about playing vita games on a smartphone not remote play which would be an added bonus ofcourse. i mean i don't see them necessarily holding it hostage on just sony xperia phones for too long because they still will be promoting their playstation services and a ds4 controller would most likely be required to play these games.
xperia z5 rumored to come out in september in japan is apparently a very powerful device with a lot of features. could it include the ability to play vita games with the ds4/attachment as well?

any thoughts?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./35. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145)
22./21. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: The Complete Experience {Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn \ Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward} <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥6.264)
23./41. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
24./34. [PSV] Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus: Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.06.04} (¥5.184)
25./39. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2015.04.02} (¥7.538)
26./38. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264)
27./00. [PSV] Hakuoki: Reimeiroku - Omouhase Kara # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.07.02} (¥6.264)
28./43. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.145)
29./42. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616)
30./16. [3DS] Kaitou Joker: Toki o Koeru Kaitou to Ushinawareta Houseki <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.06.25} (¥5.627)
31./36. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega) {2015.05.28} (¥5.378)
32./47. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <RPG> (Atlus) {2015.02.05} (¥4.298)
33./50. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥6.145)
34./37. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968)
35./45. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104)
36./19. [PS4] Ride <RCE> (Intergrow) {2015.06.25} (¥7.344)
37./11. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥4.104)
38./44. [PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster <Final Fantasy X \ Final Fantasy X-2> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.05.14} (¥7.344)
39./00. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538)
40./03. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition {Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom \ Fire Emblem Fates: White Kingdom} <SLG> (Nintendo) {2015.06.25} (¥9.990)
41./00. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
42./32. [PSV] Hotline Miami: Collected Edition <Hotline Miami \ Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number> <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.06.25} (¥3.996)
43./14. [PSV] Shinobi, Koi Utsutsu: Setsugetsuka Koi Emaki # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.06.25} (¥6.264)
44./00. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥8.208)
45./25. [PSV] Harvest OverRay # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) {2015.06.25} (¥5.378)
46./00. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.06.26} (¥5.389)
47./48. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184)
48./49. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} (¥5.076)
49./00. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
50./00. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V # <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.12.11} (¥7.992)

Top 50

3DS - 21
PSV - 13
PS4 - 8
WIU - 5
PS3 - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    359.000 |    799.000 |    391.000 | 16.159.000 | 19.179.000 |

Jamix012

so I know the popular opinion is that vita isn't going to get a successor and I do agree that it would be very risky considering the state of handhelds in general with only nintendo finding success due to their strong first party.

the question I have is, could the vita successor be a smartphone that can play vita games? i see all these games being announced for vita alongside ps4 and ps3. i know there is an attachment that sony started promoting last year with their own xperia z3 for remote play

41m36f9AztL.jpg

to be clear i am talking about playing vita games on a smartphone not remote play which would be an added bonus ofcourse. i mean i don't see them necessarily holding it hostage on just sony xperia phones for too long because they still will be promoting their playstation services and a ds4 controller would most likely be required to play these games.
xperia z5 rumored to come out in september in japan is apparently a very powerful device with a lot of features. could it include the ability to play vita games with the ds4/attachment as well?

any thoughts?

I really think Sony's completely done with handhelds in all manners of speaking. If they had even an inkling of doing something like this they wouldn't have totally abandoned the Vita.

noshten

For reference

2014 - Best Selling Games Japan
Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke (3DS) – 3,050,178
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS) – 2,464,850
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) – 2,381,177
Super Smash Bros (3DS) – 2,066,022
Yokai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (3DS) – 2,007,327
Yokai Watch (3DS) – 994,346 / 1.280.799
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) – 842,053
Dragon Quest Monster 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (3DS) – 748,139
Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) – 687,957
Super Smash Bros (Wii U) – 478,366

2015 - Best Selling Games Japan(as of July 5th)
Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (3DS) - 603,108
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3) - 444,018
The Legend of Zelda (3DS) - 431,166
Fire Emblem Fates (3DS) - 424,751
Splatoon (Wii U) - 418,599
Tales of Zestiria (PS3) - 370,264
Pokemon OR/AS (3DS) - 362,707
God Eater 2 (PSV) - 312,513
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4) - 311,939
Rhythm Heaven (3DS) - 307,218

both splatoon and persona will be doing 500k+

but splatoon has way more potential to sell more than persona, as we've yet to see how much persona has really improved

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7983754

:(

Please don't be a bomba, please don't be a bomba, please don't be a bomba, please don't be a bomba, please don't be a bomba

It's a pseudo-new IP so opening should be less front-loaded than usual.

Vena

So here's an interesting question (spawned from a discussion I was having with my friend). The discussion spawned from talking about Mobius' fall (she was the one who convinced me initially that it would be short lived unless they gave it a lot more content), and recent news.

What is the stronger (gaming) IP: Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, One Piece, or Final Fantasy.

Yes, these target different demographics, but the overall question is which pulls in more people irregardless of "casual" or "hardcore". Of note, her opinion comes from a core but still casual gamer perspective and she believe that Animal Crossing is now the stronger of the brands in terms of gaming appeal, especially since it stretches over boundaries in the people it attracts. (We discounted things like MH, YW, and Pokemon, for obvious reasons.)

As an outsider looking in I have no idea, admittedly, outside of knowing that Final Fantasy has largely decayed there, and probably doesn't hold up to the former three anymore.

I thought it'd make for a fun discussion point in the breaks from number discussions.

Fisico

What is the stronger (gaming) IP: Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, One Piece, or Final Fantasy.

One Piece as a gaming IP should be comparable to the other 3 ?

Seems weird to me.
I'm not sure why you put aside MH and Pokemon and yet Animal Crossing is ok too.

Busaiku

It's hard to say if Animal Crossing is the bigger franchise overall, when there have only been a few releases every generation.
While nome of the mainline games have done as well as Wild World and New Leaf, it does get a bunch of spinoffs, some of which do huge numbers on their own.

I think with Happy Home Designer and amiibo Festival, we'll see how the brand as a whole holds up.
Though if Comgnet and Amazon Happy Home Designer orders are anything to go by, it should stand the test.

Busaiku

I also don't think Monster Hunter is quite as obvious as Pokemon and Yokai Watch (for now).
Again, similar to Animal Crossing, Portable 3rd was way bigger than anything Dragon Quest, but the franchise isn't quite that big now, and there really aren't too many spinoffs or anything to judge the brand as a whole.
The next year will be really telling.

And yes, Final Fantasy and Mario are definitely dying brands, and are not in the same league.
And One Piece as a gaming brand is nothing to those, even the stale Final Fantasy and Mario.

Vena

One Piece shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Animal Crossing is probably the biggest out of those listed.

I was the one who listed them, so it just shows how little I know. :p I'll strike out One Piece.

Why not include Mario, or is it dead like some other say here?

I don't include Mario because... what is "Mario" at this point? Mario Kart? That an unquestionably worldwide superpower of a gaming IP. 2D Mario? 3D Mario?

Mario is, at this point, a mascot identity with a lot of strength in specific brands and is identifiable, but overall his specific games are for a dedicated base.

Xenoboy

I don't include Mario because... what is "Mario" at this point? Mario Kart? That an unquestionably worldwide superpower of a gaming IP. 2D Mario? 3D Mario?

The same could be applied to Final Fantasy with its many spin-offs, although to a lesser degree. If Mario would not be in the title of those games wouldn't do much, the same would apply to DQH if it was a new IP.

Edit: I'm off to bed, so I'll reply tomorrow. Sorry.

Jigorath

Banned
Wild World outsold DQIX. New Leaf will outsell DQXI. So Animal Crossing gets the point for mainline entries. Dunno about spinoffs but HHD is on the way so we'll see how that performs compared to Dragon Quest. DQ probably has the more dedicated fanbase that will buy remakes and spinoffs en masse despite AC being technically more popular.

Vena

The same could be applied to Final Fantasy with its many spin-offs, although to a lesser degree. If Mario would not be in the title of those games wouldn't do much, the same would apply to DQH if it was a new IP.

Edit: I'm off to bed, so I'll reply tomorrow. Sorry.

I meant it more in the sense that Mario is a mascot that everyone knows. You see a particular mustache, some overalls? That's Mario. Gamers of all kinds and even general people know Mario. But he doesn't really have the "must play his games" draw nowadays (or, really, ever. I think he's been a barrier breaker but his games have never made a console sell all on its own). And he doesn't work as a "slap Mario onto this product" as we saw recently with P&DSM. We're lucky that Splatoon wasn't Mario, otherwise I think the conversation around the game would be a lot different as would its sales. He's almost stiffing... because people know what he is and it forms expectations, for better or worse.

Mario's strongest games are in the Pokemon league, imo, they are just not as numerous and this gen are getting strangled by the WiiU. But his overall strength of a brand has been watered down and I think Nintendo is aware of it and dreading the fact.

Final Fantasy? Nah, not even in its peak was it a brand that you could identify with a mustache. It was a strong brand amongst core gamers, though... like Dragon Quest, just with global appeal.

Bruno MB

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is the only title that is going to cross 5 million units this generation.

Who knows how long we will have to wait until we see another game reaching that milestone.

Sterok

I was personally under the impression that Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing, and Dragon Quest were the top 5 game IP's in Japan (in no particular order) at the moment. Is that about right?

Busaiku

Alpha Sapphire, when all is said and done, will probably sell similarly to Fire Red.
X/Y saw a notable dropoff from previous games though.

It may be the case of the game itself, which had few new Pokemon and little to do after beating Diantha, rather than weakness with the brand.
If 7th gen addresses these issues, I imagine it can get back on track to the 5 million.

Though I suppose we'll need to see how the unannounced/nothing hinted at mainline game does next year.
I was personally under the impression that Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing, and Dragon Quest were the top 5 game IP's in Japan (in no particular order) at the moment. Is that about right?
This is true.
Pokemon is unquestionably number 1 though.
The rest can be argued, but Pokemon is clearly on top.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's hard to say if Animal Crossing is the bigger franchise overall, when there have only been a few releases every generation.
While nome of the mainline games have done as well as Wild World and New Leaf, it does get a bunch of spinoffs, some of which do huge numbers on their own.

I think with Happy Home Designer and amiibo Festival, we'll see how the brand as a whole holds up.

Though if Comgnet and Amazon Happy Home Designer orders are anything to go by, it should stand the test.

Also important to note that Animal Crossing does feature a different audience than the typical Japanese sellers. Nintendo is taking that female gaming audience very seriously in Japan.

Vena

I think I probably had One Piece on there because, when people tell me of strong IP, they always mention One Piece (even my friend mentions it). But I think I may have jumped medium boundaries without really thinking about the implications. Its a popular manga and anime, correct?

Game Guru

any thoughts?

Not that possible since smartphone hardware is a very competitive market and having physical controls in either physical buttons or a controller remove what the majority of people buying smartphones like about smartphones which is the portability and ease of use of them.

Top Bottom