• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2015 (Jun 29 - Jul 05)

Thank you Nirolak, that's a great post.

I am really happy with how the latest releases have sold this Summer so far.
I hope this momentum will extend to the release of Super Mario Maker, which I hope will clear the million mark this year. Now, that would be fantastic.

I feel it's kinda crazy to release so many high profile 3DS games in 2016.

They should at least make Monster Hunter X, Stories, Yo-kai Watch 3 and Snack World multiplatform with 4DS (NX).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages is also coming out July 18th.

The last film (Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction) was the second lowest grossing Pokemon movie at ¥2.9 Billion with the first being Pokémon 4Ever (sorry Joe, you flopped - Celebi is trash, it's nothing but a mistake).

I am extremely interested to see how it performs because many seem to believe that Youkai Watch has not affected Pokemon, but in reality it has, as seen with last year's film results.

I am hoping for a greater show-up with this film; the pre-purchase incentives have been robust and it seems the Pokemon Company are doing everything in their power to make this film a hit with the rollout of Pokken on July 16th, Pikachu Visa Credit Cards initiative, mobile app collaboration with Yahoo!, Pikachu Festival, and Dance? Pokémon Band!

Everything is set in motion so that film and Pokemon brand in general may gain back some lost marketshare - let's see how well it does.

Kikujiro

It did stick out to me though that most of their games that were "exclusive" to PS4 were listed as "PlayStation First", so I do think they're leaving the door open to other platforms down the road. A lot of these games are being made on technology that Square Enix isn't used to however, so taking this one step at a time makes it easier to handle, and in the case of the NX, that system doesn't exist yet. It's not hard for me to imagine games like FF7R showing up on PC and/or Xbox One, and games like World of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest Builders showing up on NX eventually. That's not a guarantee that happens, but I suspect these are the kind of options they're looking at when they're not writing them down as lifetime exclusives.

I'm 100% positive S-E will go full PC during this generation, their Western projects are already there, they will move their Japanese AAA too with later ports (Final Fantasy, KH and possibly Dragon Quest).

Vena

It did stick out to me though that most of their games that were "exclusive" to PS4 were listed as "PlayStation First", so I do think they're leaving the door open to other platforms down the road. A lot of these games are being made on technology that Square Enix isn't used to however, so taking this one step at a time makes it easier to handle, and in the case of the NX, that system doesn't exist yet. It's not hard for me to imagine games like FF7R showing up on PC and/or Xbox One, and games like World of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest Builders showing up on NX eventually. That's not a guarantee that happens, but I suspect these are the kind of options they're looking at when they're not writing them down as lifetime exclusives.

The interesting thing to note here is that "First on Playstation" is never clarified on from SE as to where "next on" is going to end up. If it were clear cut, predetermined platforms, they'd have likely made it clear as is general with any timed-exclusive.

What we may be seeing is the limits on how far Sony could grease the wheels with taking SE off the deep-end in Japan with Japan-centric games and western promises. They get the games but the stipulation is largely timed. Would be interesting if we saw Builders on launch with NX.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Battle Cats for 3DS is now 20th in the All-Time chart, surpassing Gunman Clive. This means it's around 140,000 units sold at least. This could be helpful. I'll see if I can do something later.

The last film (Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction) was the second lowest grossing Pokemon movie at ¥2.9 Billion with the first being Pokémon 4Ever (sorry Joe, you flopped - Celebi is trash, it's nothing but a mistake).

I am extremely interested to see how it performs because many seem to believe that Youkai Watch has not affected Pokemon, but in reality it has, as seen with last year's film results.

I am hoping for a greater show-up with this film; the pre-purchase incentives have been robust and it seems the Pokemon Company are doing everything in their power to make this film a hit with the rollout of Pokken on July 16th, Pikachu Visa Credit Cards initiative, mobile app collaboration with Yahoo!, Pikachu Festival, and Dance? Pokémon Band!

Everything is set in motion so that film and Pokemon brand in general may gain back some lost marketshare - let's see how well it does.

this is backwards dude

edit: also is there a list of how much each Pokemon movie has made?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't even do jokes correctly.

I am beyond saving. I have dishonored my people.

Prodigy-senpai:

Totals:
¥7.54 billion ($77.8 million) / 6.54 million :: Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1998)
¥6.36 billion ($64.8 million) / 5.60 million :: Pokemon: Revelation Lugia (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1999)
¥5.02 billion ($47.2 million) / 4.78 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2007)
¥4.85 billion ($45.7 million) / 4.50 million :: Pokemon: Lord of the Unown Tower - Entei (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2000)
¥4.80 billion ($53.3 million) / 4.66 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2008)
¥4.67 billion ($51.6 million) / 4.40 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus - To a Conquering Spacetime (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2009)
¥4.50 billion ($38.4 million) / 4.28 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishing Star of Seven Nights (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2003)
¥4.38 billion ($39.1 million) / 4.16 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Deoxys - Sky-Splitting Visitor (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2004)
¥4.33 billion ($56.1 million) / 4.13 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Victini and the Black Hero - Zekrom/Victini and the White Hero - Reshiram(Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2011)
¥4.30 billion ($38.9 million) / 4.10 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Mew and the Wave Hero - Lucario (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2005)
¥4.16 billion ($50.3 million) / 3.97 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Master of Illusions - Zoroark (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2010)
¥3.90 billion ($32.5 million) / 3.63 million :: Pokemon: Celebi - A Timeless Encounter (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2001)
¥3.61 billion ($46.0 million) / 3.44 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2012)
¥3.40 billion ($28.2 million) / 3.23 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea (Kunihiko Yuyamai, July 2006)
¥3.17 billion ($33.0 million) / 3.01 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2013)
¥2.92 billion ($27.3 million) / 2.60 million :: Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (Toho)
¥2.67 billion ($21.8 million) / 2.55 million :: Pokemon: Guardians of Altomare - Latias and Latios (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2002)

LMAO I even made another mistake in my joke - it's Latios & Latias that performed unfavorably

Shameful

Wiggy

How many pokefilms have there been now? Do they all make it to cinema in Japan or do some go straight to home video?

edit: Oh I see your other comment with the list now, thats all of them I assume.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's interesting to me to see people discussing Capcom as being in a precarious situation regarding console development, when you don't have to go back too far back in time to find people discussing Capcom as the only Japanese company "doing it right" in console development, with their unified engine across games, specific pandering to western tastes and farming out of IPs to western devs to keep them relevant.
Was it RE6 where the perception changed?

I would time it to starting around the time Inafune left, not just because he left, but because of the domino effect it caused in tandem with some major changes in the video game market.

When Inafune was running Capcom's development arm, he was the singular head of decision making, and was pushing for things like heavy Western expansion, trying to make Monster Hunter bigger than Dragon Quest, and using outside resources both within and outside of Japan to keep their output up among growing development requirements. His ideas certainly didn't always work out, but they did have a pretty good success rate and helped keep them relevant in the market.

However, by Fall 2009, both Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 came out and showed publishers that GTA like sales weren't just some Titanic-esque cultural phenomenon, but rather something they could all aspire to. Western publishers started refocusing in droves with the goal of no longer making 1-3 million selling titles and instead aiming overwhelmingly for 5-10+ million selling titles, pouring in huge amounts of resources into their games.

Capcom meanwhile was signing up increasingly questionable development partners and, especially with Inafune's departure, started promoting a bunch of their game producers and directors into management positions they were not qualified for nor likely even wanted judging by statements from Mikami (about the Capcom of yore) and Ono about the management situation. Given the exploding costs of their games, they also tried to cut even more costs wherever they could with things like development timelines and going back to their old strategy of re-releasing the same game with upgrades and charging a whole bunch of money for it. Both their internally and externally made games suffered significantly. Given that their competitors were offering the moon, this made Capcom's products look horrible in comparison, and their sales followed.

After this, realizing they couldn't really compete anymore, they first tried shifting to 3DS as their primary platform going forward. However, it became apparent pretty quickly that while some of their games worked really well on the platform, others didn't, and they abandoned this strategy. Then they went to flooding the mobile and browser market with outsourced games, and since they were all awful, they tanked and got shut down shortly after. Finally, they ended up where they are today, at which point they've shut off nearly all external development (because they found it too expensive), set on a path to hire 1000 college graduates (to staff up cheaply), and are focusing on internally made mobile and service titles where the cost of development and expectations are notably lower, while still making a few traditional dedicated device titles in the few brands that are still viable relative to their skill set and capabilities. However, almost no one at Capcom actually knows how to make these types of games, and they're overwhelmingly hiring college graduates who would have no experience doing this either, so it's hard for them to hone in on exactly what they should be doing.

The wombo combo of Dragon's Dogma bombing (their big push at the time was "internally developed new IP, externally developed existing IP" since Dead Rising 2 was successful while their new Western IPs were not, yet here their shining hope just failed) and Resident Evil 6 getting eviscerated in reviews (and selling a bit less than they were hoping) was certainly a big part of cementing their decision to no longer be a major AAA publisher. I do think it also signaled pretty clearly to everyone outside the company that they weren't going to be able to keep up with the AAA standards of the West.

That's one of reasons that MH4U's reception is somewhat opposite between Japanese and Western market. Some people were disappointed with paying $60 and didn't get enough of it.

In Capcom's defense though, they have been doing this a lot with their fighting games (Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, even Gundam series) and customers were okay with it back then. Also additional contents on MH4U compared to MH4 is somewhat comparable between MHP2 and MHFU. However time has changed that people are now aware that gaming device has storage so they demand Capcom to charge for additional contents only.
Right, like many things, Capcom was notably impacted by an inability to adapt to the changing market. That said, at least Monster Hunter still sells quite well overall, and doesn't cost an absolute fortune to make.

I pretty much agree with that you have written.

People say SE's strategy differ between Wada and Matsuda but bolded part must be large part of their current increase of announcement on console front. Heck even Saga2015 was once proposed by Kawazu as the PS4 game but ended up as Vita project (SE higher ups saw less Western appeal maybe?) Do any unreal engines run on OG 3DS? I'm starting go wonder developing cost of AAA 3DS game won't be that much different from UE4 HD game.
If you want a licensed engine on 3DS you're pretty much SOL. The thing that helps mitigate the problems related to this is that games are pretty low end on the system development resources wise, so the idea of building one, even if it's harder to do things, is a lot easier to swallow.

However, once you get attached to your really nice toolchain using Unity or Unreal, it can be hard to go back. You also don't get the benefit of your game being pretty easy to port around to fit different markets/demographics because the engine provider has done most of the work for you.

YW3 will be released for 3DS at 2016 though. Will they bother to port that to NX too?
So I'll address this in both the specific and the general.

For Yokai Watch 3 in particular, I could see the expanded edition releasing on NX since it makes sense for any older fans of the series and for a potential Western release where the 3DS is fading pretty fast.

However, it is important to keep in mind that this is primarily a children's series, and most children don't get the newest system the month it comes out. As such, they will likely be cross-gen on the 3DS for a while. If the game is not going to be cross-gen, then it will almost certainly be only on 3DS as well.

To answer more generally, I don't expect many NX exclusives at launch, but I do think there will be quite a variety of ports/remasters available. Now, I'm hesitant to go too far on this because we don't know what the system actually is, as Pennywise correctly points out. If it's just a home console, then support might be dire. If it's the next handheld (or both), then I would expect developers to more readily show up, especially if it has enough power and a broad enough featureset to accept popular engines and Nintendo has worked with the engine providers to ensure they're actually there. In the same way many publishers are choosing to port their Japanese PlayStation only line-up to PC and/or Xbox One for the Western release, it's not hard for me to imagine them looking at the same games and shoving to on the NX to boot. I feel the biggest blockade to doing that currently is that the 3DS is just such a tremendous technological odd-duck that it's not nearly as appealing of an option if you're not just making a game for it exclusively, whereas it's much smoother to port between all the other platforms.

It's possible that demographics are seen as the #1 reason to not do this, and it's such a strong and overpowering reason that we would still see a strong split between Japanese games on Sony platforms and Nintendo platforms, but given how pliable Japanese developers have been on platform choice recently, this doesn't strike me as the most probable situation.

To cover late gen 3DS games some more in particular, I think pretty much every Japanese developer saw how the cross-gen launch of the PS4/XB1 went over in the West (exceedingly well, both hardware and software wise), and is likely to jump on with anything they want to sell abroad. I'm noticing that a lot of companies seem to be porting what would historically be PS3 and/or Vita only games to the PS4 with a Western release in mind, sometimes going so far as to release the game only on PS3/Vita locally first, and then getting the PS4 port done in time for the Western release. Tales and Digimon are two good examples of this, and given that Star Ocean 5 is leading on PS3, I don't think that PS4 version was originally envisioned for the domestic release. This is before we even get to PC ports where it really obviously has nothing to do with the domestic audience. This is, of course, all stipulated on them having some level of faith that the NX will do well abroad. It's also possible these things don't only ship on 3DS/NX toward that end, but for the domestic market, I feel what matters most is that they're present, not that they're exclusive. Nintendo can certainly bring the first party line-up themselves.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm noticing that a lot of companies seem to be porting what would historically be PS3 and/or Vita only games to the PS4 with a Western release in mind, sometimes going so far as to release the game only on PS3/Vita locally first, and then getting the PS4 port done in time for the Western release. Tales and Digimon are two good examples of this, and given that Star Ocean 5 is leading on PS3, I don't think that PS4 version was originally envisioned for the domestic release. This is before we even get to PC ports where it really obviously has nothing to do with the domestic audience. This is, of course, all stipulated on them having some level of faith that the NX will do well abroad. It's also possible these things don't only ship on 3DS/NX toward that end, but for the domestic market, I feel what matters most is that they're present, not that they're exclusive. Nintendo can certainly bring the first party line-up themselves.

This statement rings very true.

It is a good strategy that Japanese publishers have come up with recently and is working very well. I can certainly see it being replicated with 3DS/Wii U and NX should the NX become successful early on in International markets.

Vena

If it's the next handheld (or both), then I would expect developers to more readily show up, especially if it has enough power and a broad enough featureset to accept popular engines and Nintendo has worked with the engine providers to ensure they're actually there.

I think this one we can check off as assured, Nintendo has already gotten Unity to the N3DS of all things (which as a singular action seems entirely pointless, but in a long term play for support makes perfect sense). It would seem that they are quite aware of the pipelines that developers would like to have available to them, and are securing said support moving forward.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think this one we can check off as assured, Nintendo has already gotten Unity to the N3DS of all things (which as a singular action seems entirely pointless, but in a long term play for support makes perfect sense). It would seem that they are quite aware of the pipelines that developers would like to have available to them, and are securing said support moving forward.

pffft, tell me when they get phyre engine on 3DS. That's when I'll be impressed!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since we talk a lot about the kind of impact an anime can have on games, I thought I'd go pull the chart for how Namco's new Dragon Ball mobile game is doing:

dragonballmobilevbodn.png

It's doing pretty well actually, especially since on mobile Namco usually makes their money the same way they do on dedicated devices (a whole bunch of titles that aren't exactly top 10 performers, but add up to a lot money).

On a similar note, here's One Piece:

And JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Since we talk a lot about the kind of impact an anime can have on games, I thought I'd go pull the chart for how Namco's new Dragon Ball mobile game is doing:

It's doing pretty well actually, especially since on mobile Namco usually makes their money the same way they do on dedicated devices (a whole bunch of titles that aren't exactly top 10 performers, but add up to a lot money).

On a similar note, here's One Piece:

And JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:
I wanted to make a post like this too before, but forgot until you brought it up:

Anime started airing April 5th.

Busaiku

Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction was a really weak entry.
In addition, the last season of Black/White was horrid and earlier X/Y episodes were weak as well.

Episodes nowadays are stronger and the ratings have generally gone up as a result, and we can see the effect with stronger legs on Alpha Sapphire.

Vena

As a side note, Mobius' new event has brought it into the top 20 again:

On this topic. I asked what the opinion of it was, and the response was that the current event is pretty good and gotten her to play again. That being said, after the sheen wears off she's probably going to stop playing again and, probably, won't come back unless the next thing is considerably more meaty.

I guess the game still lacks long-term hooks?

Vena

Of course, it's only after the initial circlejerk wears off that discussion actually takes place in sales threads, NPD is the most extreme example of this.

Oy you looking at my bird!?

Err... what I mean is, we are a civilized folk.
Everything should be 3DS exclusive. All consoles should surrender to the WiiU and mighty Splatoon.

Square2015

I used to be quite active on the m-c threads back in 06, 07, 08, 09 as the DS was exploding in popularity. Us old sales-agers who had been tracking Japanese sales since the 90s had never seen the likes of numbers so high as the DS and all its "non-games" which were absolutely tearing up the charts! OMG
and NEW SMB !!!

I look at the market now and I must say its has died down to levels I've never seen. Japan has had a lot to deal with these last few years (Tsunamis, Fukashima, another recession) plus just burnout of gaming that kinda peaked over there in the '80 and '90s (while still niche in the West and tiny in PAL territories until well Call of Duty and GTA).

The market over there has moved toward handhelds as consoles don't really offer anything new (to them) anymore and with space limited in Japan, just in general, I think they finally ran out of space for new consoles :p HH are more convenient.

Anyways, is there still hype for the Sunday night release of COMGNET numbers in these threads? That used to be a big deal here.
I tracked COMGNET every week back to 04 including reservations, and still got that data in excel ;)

Mory Dunz

People care a little about comgnet. I wouldn't say there's much hype though.

When there's a upcoming big game, yeah. And when that game has a prequel.

Vena

Anyways, is there still hype for the Sunday night release of COMGNET numbers in these threads? That used to be a big deal here.
I tracked COMGNET every week back to 04 including reservations, and still got that data in excel ;)

I feel like we use COMG as more of a pre-order gauge of interest and prediction metric on coming titles, but most of the sales-age interest is in the actual figures from Fam/MC/Dengeki. That and Hiska's usual leaks and reports from GamesMaya.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Battle Cats is now 19th in the 3DS Japanese All-Time Chart; it surpassed BoxBoy too.

hiska-kun

Info from Media Create White Book 2015

Japanese Game Market Value 2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} (Yen)

Software Market: 240.610.706.000¥ (47,23%)
Hardware Market: 147.125.907.000¥ (28,88%)
Used Software Market: 90.917.851.000¥ (17,85%)
Used Hardware Market: 30.762.434.000¥ (6,04%)
Total: 509.416.899.000¥ (100%)

Last Year Total: 566.719.765.000¥

Japanese Software Sales 2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28}

Software Sales: 43.053.288 (58,64%)
Used Software Sales: 30.366.138 (41,36%)
Total Software Sales: 73.419.426 (100%)

Japanese Used Sales 2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28}

Used Hardware Sales
3DS # - 812.230 (42,26%)
PSV # - 370.708 (19,29%)
PS3 - 211.611 (11,01%)
PSP - 158.539 (8,25%)
Wii U - 120.039 (6,25%)
PS4 - 111.372 (5,79%)
NDS # - 62.614 (3,25%)
Wii - 62.551 (3,25%)
XB360 - 12.043 (0,63%)
XBOne - 391 (0,02%)

Total Used Hardware Sales: 1.922.098 (100%)

Models Split:
3DS LL - 453.938 (23,62%)
3DS - 319.991 (16,65%)
New 3DS LL - 26.592 (1,38%)
New 3DS - 11.709 (0,61%)

Vita - 363.296 (18,90%)
Vita TV - 7.412 (0,39%)

DSi - 25.848 (1,34%)
DSL - 20.532 (1,07%)
DSi LL - 16.234 (0,84%)

Used Software Sales
PS3 - 8.119.403 (26,74%)
3DS - 8.113.516 (26,72%)
PSP - 3.528.405 (11,62%)
NDS - 3.149.251 (10,37%)
PSV - 3.004.947 (9,90%)
Wii - 1.601.295 (5,27%)
PS2 - 1.000.137 (3,29%)
Wii U - 861.132 (2,84%)
XB360 - 568.189 (1,87%)
PS4 - 418.335 (1,38%)
XBOne - 1.528 (0,01%)

Total Used Software Sales: 30.366.138

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch: Busters < 140k
[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken < 40k
[WIU] Yoshi's Woolly World < 40k
[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates < 30k
[PS4] Batman: Arkham Knight < 30k
[WIU] Splatoon < 30k

YSO predictions

[WIU] Splatoon < 30k

Not very good for Yw:B if true, is it?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
YSO predictions

[WIU] Splatoon < 30k

Oh these are second week predictions for Yokai & Great Ace Attorney. Nvm.

Top Bottom