• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

Depends what the mobile game is as i could see that if done properly satisfying a lot of the AC demand and thus lower sales for the switch game (but make nintendo a boat load of cash in the process)
Or could do what Pokémon GO did and make Pokémon games sell the beat they've have in over a decade.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ōkami;243641046 said:
  1. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 111
  2. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin - 111
  3. [3DS] Ever Oasis - 29
  4. [PS4] Gundam Versus - 21
  5. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 14
  6. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 12
  7. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 11
  8. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 11
  9. [SWI] Arms - 10
  10. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax - 9
  11. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition - 7
  12. [3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers - 7
  13. [PS4] Hakoniwa Company Works - 6
  14. [PS4] Gundam Versus (Premium G Sound Edition) - 6
  15. [3DS] The Alliance Alive - 6
  16. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 5
  17. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 5
  18. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars - 5
  19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 5
  20. [PSV] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Declassified - 4
Preorders
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 890
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 592
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 517
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 76
[3DS] The Snack World - 36
[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 32
[3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey - 29
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 28
[PS4] New Everybody's Golf - 28
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 26
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 25
[SWI] Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. - 23
[PS4] Sen no Kiseki 3 - 14
[3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? - 13
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 11

Compared to last week's Comgnet weekly rankings: MK8D gained two points, Arms dropped by just one and Zelda probably dropped by one as well. Wondering if MK8D's increase + Arms stability despite its recent release could mean we're dealing with steady / slightly better hardware sales. Better to wait and see how things played out at other retailers; Comgnet can be strange sometimes.

Ōkami;243641046 said:
[*][PS4] Gundam Versus - 21

Good grief, that's quite a drop. IP killed?

Ōkami;243641046 said:
[*][PS4] Hakoniwa Company Works - 6

Well done NIS. Managed to swerve both the platforms this would have worked on for PS4 release.

Oh well. Better hope NISA port to PC & Switch for the west.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Outside the whole shortage situation Nintendo absolutely nailed the lineup to kick off the Switch this year.
Looking back, the lineup wasn't that impressive on paper. The perception has totally changed within a couple of months lol.

I could see Splatoon, Animal Crossing or Pokémon being the best selling game of the generation in Japan. Outside of those three, it would have to be some sort of surprise hit/new IP.

Nintendo has demonstrated its dominance in local multiplayer gaming w/ Splatoon, MK, Smash, and now ARMs but I want to see them create a multiplayer experience that isn't an arena game or anything arcade-like, perhaps a meatier co-op adventure game, something like a scaled-down BotW or even Xenonblade X with local co-op. I hope we get it this gen.

With that schedule they could also quite likely make FF7 and The Avengers into cross-gen projects, which would make a lot of sense for the first game of a trilogy and a service title.

That's what I'm expecting too. Now FF7 remains a mistery to me somehow given its episodic nature. Will every game be available on PS4 or will they ditch it at some point (assuming that each part take at least 2 years to come out)?

sphinx

the piano man
Nintendo has demonstrated its dominance in local multiplayer gaming w/ Splatoon, MK, Smash, and now ARMs but I want to see them create a multiplayer experience that isn't an arena game or anything arcade-like, perhaps a meatier co-op adventure game, something like a scaled-down BotW or even Xenonblade X with local co-op. I hope we get it this gen.

they have tried with Metroid Federation Force and Zelda Triforce Heroes, but it always blows up in their face because that's not what fans wasnt from the series.

they just won't come up with a solid gameplay mechanic and create a new IP from scratch. such pussies

they have tried with Metroid Federation Force and Zelda Triforce Heroes, but it always blows up in their face because that's not what fans wasnt from the series.

they just won't come up with a solid gameplay mechanic and create a new IP from scratch. such pussies

Splatoon?

I wonder how many new IPs Nintendo has to create to finally shed this misconception. Or if it's a narrative that will forever be pushed regardless.

Alrus

This is such an eye-rolly comment, I might go blind.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

we're in the middle of a thread discussing a new Nintendo IP created from scratch that's about to sell a hell of a lot of copies.

Square2015

Has any game sold 1 million in one week/three days in Japan?
You kidding us? Japan has been doing the million+ opener since 1988, long before anywhere else in the world. It's almost a regular occurrence. They queue up for nearly every new release and have so going back to the NES days.
It's what makes Japan amazing.

sphinx

the piano man
we're in the middle of a thread discussing a new Nintendo IP created from scratch that's about to sell a hell of a lot of copies.

did you guys not read the quote I was responding too??

nintendo does very well with multiplayer IPs when they are arcade-y or arena-like, thats something we all know.

the poster I quoted said he'd like to see a co-op game that isn't like kart, arms, splatoon, etc. something of a different nature more like an adventure.

for THAT kind of multiplayer experience, nintendo is too much of a pussy to do a new IP and come up with a compelling gameplay mechanic.

Maybe I am wrong and I've missed them but as far as I know, there's no new IP with a multiplayer-oriented 2-3 player adventure game from nintendo

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
did you guys not read the quote I was responding too??

nintendo does very well with multiplayer IPs when they are arcade-y or arena-like, thats something we all know.

the poster I quoted said he'd like to see a co-op game that isn't like kart, arms, splatoon, etc. something of a different nature more like an adventure.

for THAT kind of multiplayer experience, nintendo is too much of a pussy to do a new IP and come up with a compelling gameplay mechanic.

Maybe I am wrong and I've missed them but as far as I know, there's no new IP with a multiplayer-oriented 2-3 player adventure game from nintendo

So Nintendo took the safe route with Splatoon and ARMS but is too much of a "pussy" to do a co-op adventure game?

I'll concede they haven't done one yet, but I'm not getting the vitriol or the leap in logic that its Nintendo being afraid.

Alrus

Is there any example of a successful co-op adventure game in recent times?

Edit: And really there is better words to use to describe Nintendo's sometime risk averse attitude (which is debatable) than them being pussies, that's a pretty cringeworthy thing to say for multiple reasons.

Mory Dunz

By entertaining his notion, you're almost legitimizing his argument.

only a co-op new ip adventure multiplayer game?
....ok

Edit: And really there is better words to use to describe Nintendo's sometime risk averse attitude (which is debatable) than them being pussies, that's a pretty cringeworthy thing to say for multiple reasons.

I guess we can see how The Way Out does for EA coming up. One other mainly co-op game I can remember is Army of Two, which did really well for EA back in the PS3/360 era, at least in the US. Snipperclips maybe? Oh and if you can count Portal 2...

It's just not a very common genre.

ALSO THEY JUST ANNOUNCED A COOP KIRBY FOR SWITCH!!

Diablo 3
The Souls games to some extent, though it's limited by design.
Borderlands, which I consider a first-person adventure game w/ guns.
Torchlight
Path of Exiles
Dying Light

Nintendo has done it in the past to some extent with Four Swords and then there was Crystal Chronicles from Square. As for successful, when has Nintendo ever allowed the commercial failure of other publishers to dicate their course?

Personally, I'd love a new co-op adventure game from the Zelda team or Monolith Soft. It just seems these days Nintendo is all about creating big single player experiences or arcady multiplayer games with nothing that falls in between.

zeromcd73

YSO predictions
02. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy < 50k (average 40k)

[NDS] Professor Layton and the Unwound Future 360.778 / 872.170
[NDS Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box 307.771 / 945.630
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Specter 301.290 / 676.069
[3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy 132.551 / 252.805
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village 119.816 / 1.002.561
[3DS] Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask 117.859 / 396.914

oof.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's what I'm expecting too. Now FF7 remains a mistery to me somehow given its episodic nature. Will every game be available on PS4 or will they ditch it at some point (assuming that each part take at least 2 years to come out)?

I'm imagining only the first game will. Maybe the second, but definitely not the third.

javac

I think Splatoon 2 in Japan will be one of those situations where even people who can't find the hardware will pick the game up just so they have it, BOTW saw that in other parts of the world. Lack of hardware won't deter people from picking it up, at least at launch.

Or we could see Splatoon 1 sales get a bump lol.

I guess we can see how The Way Out does for EA coming up. One other mainly co-op game I can remember is Army of Two, which did really well for EA back in the PS3/360 era, at least in the US. Snipperclips maybe? Oh and if you can count Portal 2...

Co-op adventure games are very common but come packaged in an MMO framework. Apparently, making a local thing comes with its fair share of unique challenges, which is why we don't see them a lot but there is a demand for games in where players explore and adventure out with one another, not always competing against each other which is what virtually all of Nintendo's multiplayer offerings represent.

sphinx

the piano man
So Nintendo took the safe route with Splatoon and ARMS but is too much of a "pussy" to do a co-op adventure game?

I'll concede they haven't done one yet, but I'm not getting the vitriol or the leap in logic that its Nintendo being afraid.

the reason why i say "pussy" (or coward, if you like the word better) is because when it comes to multiplayer, they either go full on arena/arcade mode (which is clearly great for business and profits) OR they come up with a decent,solid co-op gameplay and then someone at nintendo has the great idea of slapping a known IP to it because "this won't sell on its own so it needs a strong IP attached to it", that's where I say "don't be afraid nintendo, you produce good games, you don't need to attach known IPs to your new fresh ideas."

we will never know, but I'd bet Federation Force and Triforce Heroes would have sold better and definitely gotten a much better reception without the zelda and Metroid IPs slapped on them.

hell, why not use Ice climbers?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well done NIS. Managed to swerve both the platforms this would have worked on for PS4 release.

Oh well. Better hope NISA port to PC & Switch for the west.

Was probably built with ports for the west in mind since it's in UE4.

oof.

Seems like they can't get the same appeal without him. Although it is also on mobile this time. I wonder if it would've done any better if they had kept it Lady Layton though.

KtSlime

nintendo really needs to improve here. all those disappointed customers may just say fuck it and buy something else.

I don't think that is very likely, Japanese tend to be a bit more patient and will wait for what they want. Japan is in a very long cycle of entering and exiting recessions and is in a long economic slump, combined with the common sense of yen valuation rising (although that has flattened out over the past few years) and banks tend to not give out loans, people tend to hold onto their money a bit tighter here.

So Nintendo can likely get a way with being severely undersupplied for the time being. What is more likely is they will lose sales by falling out of consumers view. But for the time being since Splatoon is so big, that won't happen.

plank

DKC:TF, 3DWorld?

Diablo 3
The Souls games to some extent, though it's limited by design.
Borderlands, which I consider a first-person adventure game w/ guns.
Torchlight
Path of Exiles
Dying Light

Nintendo has done it in the past to some extent with Four Swords and then there was Crystal Chronicles from Square. As for successful, when has Nintendo ever allowed the commercial failure of other publishers to dicate their course?

Personally, I'd love a new co-op adventure game from the Zelda team or Monolith Soft. It just seems these days Nintendo is all about creating big single player experiences or arcady multiplayer games with nothing that falls in between.

Lego city under cover?

KtSlime

Mario Odyssey and Yoshi are also coop. Im sure with Nintendo's focus on local multiplayer there will be many more coop games to come.

MoonFrog

Every time I see that sort of co-op I sort of wish I had someone in my life peripherally interested in video games but with low ambitions for them. Like perhaps a child. Idk I sort of want to try them and they seem built for that kind of relationship.

casiopao

Ahh. I dont really see that as true coop experience lol. As who want to suffer to be the one who only uses a cap there?

It is just like NSMBU as the block master or in galaxy the pointers which is damn boring to play.

MilesTeg

Banned
Nintendo has done a much better job supplying big software for Switch in the first year in comparison to Wii U. Obviously the ports of MK8 and Pokken help quite a bit, as well as Zelda essentially being a Wii U title.

Regardless, they are releasing big titles at decent enough rate. Too bad for the stock issue, its pretty obvious to me that Switch should be selling much more than it is now. Third party would be jumping on faster if there was more units sold. It would be outpacing 3DS easily if more stock was available.

Either way Switch has a bright future ahead especially in Japan. Dragon Quest and MH will be coming.

I do wonder if Nintendo will go ahead and plan "MK9" for Switch even though MK8DX has released.

Nintendo could still port Smash Bros 4 and Mario Maker as major releases down the road to fill gaps.

Cant see how Switch could fail given the circumstances, even with stock isues, especially considering there is also the possibility of a stand alone model which could possibly garner major market interest.

squall23

Wow, Gundam Versus really turned into a monkey's paw, huh? So many people keep asking for a console game, and Bamco makes one full of questionable decisions that piss off the fanbase. Gundam VS in arcades stay winning (and stays there forever at the looks of things).

WonderzL

Banned

oof.

It's really sad because Azran Legacy is a great game, and Mystery Journey seems to be even better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure I get the co-op game question.

Generally you make a new IP when you feel either:

1.) None of your IPs match the idea in question.
2.) You have IPs that fit the idea, but they would be less appealing than making a new IP.

ARMS is a game about long distance boxing. This isn't a direct fit for Punch Out, so a new IP fit that pretty well.

Splatoon is a game about covering the ground in ink and then swimming through it as fast movement, cover, stealth, and ammo reloading. They did try making it a Mario game at first, but ultimately it made a lot more sense thematically as a new IP. Like... would Mario turn into a paint vacuum or something? You can imagine why this would be odd.

By comparison, just adding co-op to Nintendo's existing games largely fits the ideas they have.

If there's a particular co-op game you had in mind and felt it didn't fit any of their existing IPs, sure, I get the idea of petitioning them to make that, but that's a very different scenario than "They should make new IP co-op games, spineless cowards!!!!"

Takao

Banned
That FFXII COMGNET opener looks like ~50k. Ouch.

X|X-2 HD did ~350k FW on PS3 and Vita. Huge drop.

Hakoniwa looks like it hit the basement Hero Must Die and Penny Punching Princess went to. Except with seemingly a much higher budget. PS4 has really been absolute garbage for them in Japan.

SE and NIS with some "smart" PS4-only picks.

sense

X|X-2 HD did ~350k FW on PS3 and Vita. Huge drop.

Hakoniwa looks like it hit the basement Hero Must Die and Penny Punching Princess went to. Except with seemingly a much higher budget. PS4 has really been absolute garbage for them in Japan.

SE and NIS with some "smart" PS4-only picks.
Yea I am sure they are solely dependent on sales in Japan....

MoonFrog

Ahh. I dont really see that as true coop experience lol. As who want to suffer to be the one who only uses a cap there?

It is just like NSMBU as the block master or in galaxy the pointers which is damn boring to play.

Yeah I realize this is sort of a perverse desire of mine. I obviously would want to play as the senior party :p:

Every time I see that sort of co-op I sort of wish I had someone in my life peripherally interested in video games but with low ambitions for them. Like perhaps a child. Idk I sort of want to try them and they seem built for that kind of relationship.

Top Bottom