• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2011 (Jul 11 - Jul 17)

Sammy Samusu

Member
Aug 3, 2009
19,285
1
0
Moga Village
lunchwithyuzo said:
There aren't near 100k left in channel though. And a similar bomba bin situation hasn't seemed to keep other titles from getting reprints (FFXIII PS3 up next).

And this wouldn't be "for the sake of it", it'd be to move some units and there's little investment or risk at play here, it's pure profit now. It just seems odd to me that Tri's the only major MH to not get a reprint (besides P2), as well as Capcom's only major Wii game not to get a reprint. It actually sticks out, it's more questionable that it hasn't happened yet than anything.
Are the japanese servers still up?
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
1
0
Chris1964 said:


Reprinting MH3 right now is a joke and FFXIII reprint is a joke too.
So they throw the (already coded) dlc events/items on disc, add voice chat (already coded also) and/or drop the Hunter's license. Incentivising a reprint would take almost no resources in this case. And given the franchise's overwhelming success with reprints, it just seems odd not to? I mean, it's pretty obvious 3G Wii isn't happening so why not? Even stuff like the GC RE ports, Basara 3 or Okami Wii got reprints.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
lunchwithyuzo said:
So they throw the (already coded) dlc events/items on disc, add voice chat (already coded also) and/or drop the Hunter's license. Incentivising a reprint would take almost no resources in this case. And given the franchise's overwhelming success with reprints, it just seems odd not to? I mean, it's pretty obvious 3G Wii isn't happening so why not? Even stuff like the GC RE ports, Basara 3 or Okami Wii got reprints.
Basara 3 was in short supply for weeks. The demand was there and the reprint would sell. That's why it's tracking and the PS3 version not.

RE and Okami are not just reprints. They were added Wiimote features and that's the reason they sold.

When there are brand new MH3 copies for 500 yen almost no one will buy the reprint for 3000 just like almost no one will buy FFXIII
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
1
0
Chris1964 said:
Basara 3 was in short supply for weeks. The demand was there and the reprint would sell. That's why it's tracking and the PS3 version not.

RE and Okami are not just reprints. They were added Wiimote features and that's the reason they sold.

When there are brand new MH3 copies for 500 yen almost no one will buy the reprint for 3000 just like almost no one will buy FFXIII
No, all the RE games and Okami got additional "Best Price" reprints on Wii as well.
 
Apr 17, 2005
6,476
0
1,340
lunchwithyuzo said:
There aren't near 100k left in channel though. And a similar bomba bin situation hasn't seemed to keep other titles from getting reprints (FFXIII PS3 up next).

And this wouldn't be "for the sake of it", it'd be to move some units and there's little investment or risk at play here, it's pure profit now. It just seems odd to me that Tri's the only major MH to not get a reprint (besides P2), as well as Capcom's only major Wii game not to get a reprint. It actually sticks out, it's more questionable that it hasn't happened yet than anything.
HAD to clear. Past, as in already sold, not left unsold. And yes, it'd be for the sake of it, there's zero reason to give any development time to a finished value that holds no value in retailers that were soured when it bombed.

Also, lol at similar bomba for FFXIII. I see what this is all about, I'll refrain from continuing the carnival of stupid.
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
1
0
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
HAD to clear. Past, as in already sold, not left unsold. And yes, it'd be for the sake of it, there's zero reason to give any development time to a finished value that holds no value in retailers that were soured when it bombed.

Also, lol at similar bomba for FFXIII. I see what this is all about, I'll refrain from continuing the carnival of stupid.
Kind of you to throw some mud on your way out. Very much appreciated, very big of you.

And a note, there'd be near zero "development time" here. The work's all basically done already.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
lunchwithyuzo said:
No, all the RE games and Okami got additional "Best Price" reprints on Wii as well.
Ah, you were referring to the reprints. Same logic. There were potential sales for the reprint.

MHTri collapsed in price from day 1.
 

Ratrat

Member
Dec 25, 2008
11,762
0
790
What exactly happened with Tri? The games' prices usually don't drop to 700 until a sequels released.
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,616
13
1,465
Chris1964 said:


That isn't sold by amazon, it's a 3rd party shop(shipping isn't included) so it's not good, but not as bad as it seems. On the other hand Tales of abyss is 31% off and is being sold by amazon.co.jp


FFXIII reprint is a joke too.
If you remember mgs4 price dropped just as badly as FFXIII price dropped, yet it's budget edition has sold close to 200,000 if I'm correct

Ratrat said:
What exactly happened with Tri? The games' prices usually don't drop to 700 until a sequels released.
Retailers overestimated it's potential, ordered too many...
 

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mar 10, 2011
22,885
0
865
29
theflyingthoughtsblog.wordpress.com
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
That isn't sold by amazon, it's a 3rd party shop(shipping isn't included) so it's not good, but not as bad as it seems. On the other hand Tales of abyss is 31% off and is being sold by amazon.co.jp
Well,at least it's 31% in its fourth week,not after 3 days XD
Let's see if this changes, as already happened for many other titles on Amazon (LBX,for example :p)
On Amazon, the 17th position... what the mouse
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
you remember mgs4 price dropped just as badly as FFXIII price dropped, yet it's budget edition has sold close to 200,000 if I'm correct.
There differences between these 2 games.

MGS games have legs, FF don't, with FFXIII being extremely frontloaded.

MGS4 was benefited from PS3 slim and price drop as at the time was one of system's "top priority" games for new owners.
 
Jan 28, 2010
6,073
0
0
ITALY
graphmag.wordpress.com
Sengoku Basara affaire reminds me when Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid 2 was released, the first one sold almost 400k and there were high expectations around the sequel, which actually was able to debut with just 40k units the first week, for a 90k LTD.
 

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mar 10, 2011
22,885
0
865
29
theflyingthoughtsblog.wordpress.com
electroplankton said:
Sengoku Basara affaire reminds me when Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid 2 was released, the first one sold almost 400k and there were high expectations around the sequel, which actually was able to debut with just 40k units the first week, for a 90k LTD.
IMHO, it's that now the Musou audience is on PS3, really... the last results of Basara,Ken,Sengoku Musou and DW are clear demonstration...not so much on PSP / Wii... even if i could laugh seeing a debut for Chronicle Heroes inferior to 3 on Wii XD
 

Spiegel

Member
Feb 20, 2007
7,957
0
970
Spain
Mpl90 said:
IMHO, it's that now the Musou audience is on PS3, really... the last results of Basara,Ken,Sengoku Musou and DW are clear demonstration...not so much on PSP / Wii... even if i could laugh seeing a debut for Chronicle Heroes inferior to 3 on Wii XD
Basara Battle Heroes and Basara Chronicle Heroes are not musou games, they are 2vs2 fighting games. And only other Basara fighting game has been released (on ps2) and sold 49k
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,616
13
1,465
allan-bh said:
Based on the 3ds schedule, seems like it might be better off at for 3ds at this date... (utterly nothing that is going to sell more then around 10k between 8/4 and 9/22 was scheduled)


Other things of note: SDTV signals in Japan finished this week, major electronic stores are reporting extremely low stocks/sale-outs of HD recorders due to the transition. I expect a minor boost for ps3 this week due to this.
 

BKK

Member
Jan 20, 2010
2,789
7
710
Famitsu Sales: Lifetime - 2011.06.12

Yakuza Series Sales:
[PS2] Ryū ga Gotoku (Sega) {2005.12.08} - 129.863 / 345.323
[PS2] Ryū ga Gotoku 2 (Sega) {2006.12.07} - 281.836 / 572.917
[PS3] Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Sega) {2008.03.06} - 177.897 / 270.438
[PS3] Ryū ga Gotoku 3 (Sega) {2009.02.26} - 356.867 / 509.306
[PS3] Ryū ga Gotoku 4 (Sega) {2010.03.18} - 395.123 / 557.771
[PSP] Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Shinshō (Sega) {2010.09.22} - 183.339 / 273.791
[PS3] Ryū ga Gotoku Of the End (Sega) {2011.06.09} - 307.592 / 307.592

Source: Weekly Famitsu #1177

Weekly Famitsu #1175
 

RPGamer92

Banned
Apr 25, 2011
8,868
1
0
noobie said:
is Wii going to see another hardware jump for its 8th consective week.?

6,315 -> 6,357 -> 6,678 -> 9,511 -> 12,423 -> 13,068 -> 14,237 -> xx,xxx
Probably a good bump this weeks through Rhythm Tengoku
 

zomgbbqftw

Banned
Jan 21, 2011
14,540
6
0
noobie said:
is Wii going to see another hardware jump for its 8th consective week.?

6,315 -> 6,357 -> 6,678 -> 9,511 -> 12,423 -> 13,068 -> 14,237 -> xx,xxx
Should do with Rhythm Tengoku, but it will fall pretty hard after that since there is nothing until Skyward Sword.
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
1
0
zomgbbqftw said:
Should do with Rhythm Tengoku, but it will fall pretty hard after that since there is nothing until Skyward Sword.
There's Epic Mickey in August and DQ Collection in September. Other tba titles could make it earlier than Zelda too, like Kirby, Itadaki Street or Mario & Sonic 3.
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,616
13
1,465
lunchwithyuzo said:
There's Epic Mickey in August and DQ Collection in September. Other tba titles could make it earlier than Zelda too, like Kirby, Itadaki Street or Mario & Sonic 3.
We should have a better idea of release dates for September/October tomorrow(Nintendo's stockholders meeting)

I'm putting my bets on Kid Icarus for September(A Nintendo game a month!)

Also: I'll post the list letter, but it psp has an amazing august, looks like over 5+ 100K plus games.
 

walking fiend

Member
Apr 13, 2011
8,247
0
0
zomgbbqftw said:
Should do with Rhythm Tengoku, but it will fall pretty hard after that since there is nothing until Skyward Sword.
bumps didn't start with game releases, and weren't fueled with that, it is because we are approaching the holidays :D so although the next week it won't sell as much as this week, but it will sell more than previous week projected to this week excluding the bump caused by the game release, or so I predict
 

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
11,040
1
0
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
We should have a better idea of release dates for September/October tomorrow(Nintendo's stockholders meeting)

I'm putting my bets on Kid Icarus for September(A Nintendo game a month!)

Also: I'll post the list letter, but it psp has an amazing august, looks like over 5+ 100K plus games.
PS3 has a pretty good Aug/Sept lineup already too, also with at least five 100k+ sellers. Nintendo platforms are looking pretty weak over the same span, with maybe five 100k+ sellers total between them. Hopefully it fills out more.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2011 (Jul 18 - Jul 24)

01./00. [WII] Rhythm Heaven | ETC | (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} | ¥5.800 |
02./00. [PSP] Sengoku Basara: Chronicle Heroes | ACT | (Capcom) {2011.07.21} | ¥4.800 |
03./02. [PSP] Taiko Drum Master Portable DX | ACT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.07.14} | ¥5.229 |
04./00. [PS3] No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition | ACT | (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.07.21} | ¥3.990 |
05./01. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 | SPT | (Konami) {2011.07.14} | ¥6.980 |
06./03. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers | SPT | (Level 5) {2011.07.16} | ¥5.980 |
07./04. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 | SPT | (Konami) {2011.07.14} | ¥5.250 |
08./00. [NDS] Noora and the Time Studio: The Witch of the Misty Forest | RPG | (Atlus Co.) {2011.07.21} | ¥6.279 |
09./00. [PS3] Alice: Madness Returns | ADV | (Electronic Arts) {2011.07.21} | ¥7.665 |
10./08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort | SPT | (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} | ¥4.800 |
 

allan-bh

Member
May 16, 2006
6,562
1
1,150
Rhythm Heaven could surpass The Last Story first week (114k) and become biggest release for Wii in 2011 so far?
 
May 19, 2011
869
0
0
I have been trying to wrap my head around why the Japanese domestic market has experienced such a rapid decline in unit sales in the last decade or so.

Does anyone have actual informed insight as to why this has happened? It used to be such a thriving market just ten years ago, hell for most of the PS2 era it was still doing exceptionally well.

What are the root causes? I know people suggest at least part of it is due to the home console market going from healthy to pretty much dead in the span of a generational shift. I know some of that was caused by the market leader SONY's incredible fumbling into this generation with a razors edge very expensive to buy and hard to develop for system which was the exact opposite of what the Japanese market needed.

But surely there must have been more to blame. Judging from sales charts now compared to a decade ago there have been, seemingly, a large departure of core gamers who used to support the ecosystem with purchases. Why did they go away exactly.

It is a complete mystery to me how a thriving market can change so quickly.
 

Truth101

Banned
Jul 15, 2009
4,727
0
0
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
I have been trying to wrap my head around why the Japanese domestic market has experienced such a rapid decline in unit sales in the last decade or so.

Does anyone have actual informed insight as to why this has happened? It used to be such a thriving market just ten years ago, hell for most of the PS2 era it was still doing exceptionally well.

What are the root causes? I know people suggest at least part of it is due to the home console market going from healthy to pretty much dead in the span of a generational shift. I know some of that was caused by the market leader SONY's incredible fumbling into this generation with a razors edge very expensive to buy and hard to develop for system which was the exact opposite of what the Japanese market needed.

But surely there must have been more to blame. Judging from sales charts now compared to a decade ago there have been, seemingly, a large departure of core gamers who used to support the ecosystem with purchases. Why did they go away exactly.

It is a complete mystery to me how a thriving market can change so quickly.
The Japanese market has always been hand-held skewed, and it has become even more so in recent years.
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,616
13
1,465
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
I have been trying to wrap my head around why the Japanese domestic market has experienced such a rapid decline in unit sales in the last decade or so.

The first explanation always given for this is: The amount of teenagers/children in the country is going down dramatically each year. Japan has an interesting culture where once you graduate from University, you are also suppose to graduate from hard-core gaming


besides that looking at the flow of the last decade, taking the DS into account, besides the last 2 years or so the market hasn't really been in a decline. As to why the DS market has gone into a decline: Social Mobile phone platforms(their profits are insane) and piracy are often raised.
 
Jan 28, 2010
6,073
0
0
ITALY
graphmag.wordpress.com
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
I have been trying to wrap my head around why the Japanese domestic market has experienced such a rapid decline in unit sales in the last decade or so.

Does anyone have actual informed insight as to why this has happened? It used to be such a thriving market just ten years ago, hell for most of the PS2 era it was still doing exceptionally well.

What are the root causes? I know people suggest at least part of it is due to the home console market going from healthy to pretty much dead in the span of a generational shift. I know some of that was caused by the market leader SONY's incredible fumbling into this generation with a razors edge very expensive to buy and hard to develop for system which was the exact opposite of what the Japanese market needed.

But surely there must have been more to blame. Judging from sales charts now compared to a decade ago there have been, seemingly, a large departure of core gamers who used to support the ecosystem with purchases. Why did they go away exactly.

It is a complete mystery to me how a thriving market can change so quickly.
2006 and 2007 were huge years in terms of sales and earnings.
The decline started in 2009, because of lack of important games released, DS and Wii on the sunset boulevard, PS3 not able to reach a PS2-status in the home console sector, japanese software houses too much focused on Western-like games sometimes.