• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

Pooya

good second week for EDF4. sandlot must be rolling in money. Selling over 200k in two weeks for a game like that seems pretty great.

edit: oh, ouch Level-5. completely missed that one.

I don't know why anyone should think Pikmin 3 is going to turnaround things.

Turning around bad sales like this won't happen from one week to another, it's quite a long process if anything.
I don't think Pikmin was meant to create a sustained turnaround in anyone's expectation.

But people thought that with this and a new SKU the bump would be more substantial. At least matching the somewhat analogous P4G bump for Vita.
I'm not saying that this wasn't bad, it is. What I'm saying is that people are ignoring multiple factors that should be considered

1. This is tracking only two days rather than the standard four days
2. This was a holiday weekend, in a heat wave. Everywhere was empty while people want to various events to celebrate.

it's no different to TV viewing figures for shows. People go out and do crap when the weather is nice, they don't think "Yeah, I'll go wait in line for a console". You can tell this by just how damned low everything else is, including the 3DS.
It's tracking a week for hardware, just like every week.

And at these numbers, no one needs to wait in any lines.

Seriously, all your friends are selling their 360s to get Wii Us, the tablet is wonderful and marvelous and now this nonsense, how much are you paid. Is it per post? Or per word?

To those 30.000 people:

This is a subjective value you've chosen, I think it doesn't really matter if it's 20.000 or 30.000, the 10.000 units difference don't mean anything in the long run, that's 1% of it's total sales.

The point is that Nintendo has to offer weeks like this more often to create a baseline which is acceptable to create software sales which are good.

If it's 30.000 or 20.000, it will fall next week anyway.

I don't see how Pikmin 3 underperformed. Pretty good for a game that hasn't had a new entry for a long time.

As the only relevant game out on wiiu in months and the big ad push i expected more, but the sales are at least decent. I do question whether it will get to a million now ww

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Actually I thought they said Pikmin had been planned as a trilogy iirc, so this ought to be its last iteration anyway, unless they changed their mind in the future.

A trilogy? This doesn't make any sense with respect to how the games are made. They barely have any story and noone can make me believe anything in Pikmin 3's story was planned before Pikmin 2 released.

Hopefully now you guys can accept Wii U for what it is.

Nice debut for Pikmin 3 (Famitsu says 102k), I hope it reaches 450k eventually.

Ghost Watch sold on par with LBX Explosive Boost.

Into

It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

Just read this loud to yourself and you tell us how this sounds?

Console needs a sharp price cut and a slight rebranding, think PS3 when it went from Spiderman font to what it is today.

I'm not saying that this wasn't bad, it is. What I'm saying is that people are ignoring multiple factors that should be considered

1. This is tracking only two days rather than the standard four days
2. This was a holiday weekend, in a heat wave. Everywhere was empty while people want to various events to celebrate.

it's no different to TV viewing figures for shows. People go out and do crap when the weather is nice, they don't think "Yeah, I'll go wait in line for a console". You can tell this by just how damned low everything else is, including the 3DS.

Dude are you even looking at the numbers. 3DS stayed the same, as did PS3,PSP, Wii, 360, the two platforms that had software release for them this and last week PSV and WiiU are the only ones that changed.

Your nintendo love is just getting embarassing

plank

The only thing that could "save" the Wii U at this point is what "saved" the PS3: a massive price drop and a willingness on Nintendo's part to bleed enormous amounts of money.

If Nintendo is willing to drop the price of the Wii U to 150 bucks and lose 5+ Billion dollars on the Wii U as Sony did on the PS3, I can see that having a dramatic effect on sales.

Barring that extremely unlikely scenario, I don't see any method for the Wii U to be any more than a marginal, niche product.

Wasn't Sony in some sort of financial trouble last year?

JoeM86

I don't think Pikmin was meant to create a sustained turnaround in anyone's expectation.

But people thought the bump would be more substantial.It's tracking a week for hardware, just like every week.

Seriously, all your friends are selling their 360s to get Wii Us, the tablet is wonderful and marvelous and now this nonsense, how much are you paid. Is it per post? Or per word?
Yes, but the Wii U's push with its new games came on the Saturday, ergo Pikmin, NSLU and the White Premium Wii U are tracked for two days.

I am also not paid to post. If you knew who I was, you'd realise that I'm not exactly Nintendo's favourite person

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
In retrospect Nintendo shouldn't have left the system to die for 6 months. It was literally non existent as a product for months!

Peff

7mK9EHS.png

Guys, this explains EVERYTHING! Clearly the new moon made the high tides higher, which combined with the heat made people flock to the beach.

Cheebo

Banned
It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

You are embarrassing yourself and all Nintendo fans with statements like this.

Nibel

I was 10k off with both software and hardware, oh well :lol

I would still love some retailers impressions though

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

But people thought that with this and a new SKU the bump would be more substantial. At least matching the somewhat analogous P4G bump for Vita.It's tracking a week for hardware, just like every week.

He's right with the GamePad, though.

jmls1121

Banned
I don't see how Pikmin 3 underperformed. Pretty good for a game that hasn't had a new entry for a long time.

Pikmin did fine. Its the Wii U that is the problem. Wasn't a NintendoLand bundle finally offered in Japan finally? If so, this is very bad news, heat wave or not.

Wait, this is a joke post right ?

Pok é mon Centers

I appreciate your dedication man.
KuGsj.gif

Yes, but the Wii U's push with its new games came on the Saturday, ergo Pikmin, NSLU and the White Premium Wii U are tracked for two days.

I am also not paid to post. If you knew who I was, you'd realise that I'm not exactly Nintendo's favourite person

Half of things only get 2 days tracking. Still a terrible excuse.

Well, I wasn't expecting a huge bump from Pikmin 3, but this? This is pathetic.

Ah, well. At this point, Nintendo is just reaping what they've sown, and at least their next few years will be fascinating to watch from a distance.

JoeM86

Pikmin did fine. Its the Wii U that is the problem. Wasn't a NintendoLand bundle finally offered in Japan finally? If so, this is very bad news, heat wave or not.

Not quite. A new White Premium Wii U was released on the 13th, as were copies of Nintendoland with a Wiimote Plus bundled in

Scum

I was gonna repost it as a prediction but I got caught up in the Pikmin 3 hype and doubted myself.

Shame on you, Vinnk. Have more faith. :p

The only thing that could "save" the Wii U at this point is what "saved" the PS3: a massive price drop and a willingness on Nintendo's part to bleed enormous amounts of money.

If Nintendo is willing to drop the price of the Wii U to 150 bucks and lose 5+ Billion dollars on the Wii U as Sony did on the PS3, I can see that having a dramatic effect on sales.

Barring that extremely unlikely scenario, I don't see any method for the Wii U to be any more than a marginal, niche product.

Iwata can start with a £199.99 price point yen equivalent. Launch games down to £19.99 - £29.99 price tag. Preview current titles in the works a hell of alot more.

To those 30.000 people:

This is a subjective value you've chosen, I think it doesn't really matter if it's 20.000 or 30.000, the 10.000 units difference don't mean anything in the long run, that's 1% of it's total sales.

The point is that Nintendo has to offer weeks like this more often to create a baseline which is acceptable to create software sales which are good.

If it's 30.000 or 20.000, it will fall next week anyway.
it only shows that people interested in Pikmin 3 already bought a WiiU.

Theorymon

God damn, I had low expectations for the Wii U this week... but damn, not this bad. Pikmin 3 certainly isn't a good system seller from these figures.

Nintendo really screwed up this time, hopefully they can find a way out of this mess :(

chadboban

I agree with others that a price drop for Wii U is needed now and I hope Nintendo sees that. But Pikmin 3 sold better than I thought it would (especially since that's only 2 days worth of sales) and Wii U is in second place on the charts (Although 20k is still not good enough). Overall though, this week was just bad in general with not even 1 software title passing 100k and all systems overall just selling over 100K.

LuuKyK

Well, I wasn't expecting a huge bump from Pikmin 3, but this? This is pathetic.

Ah, well. At this point, Nintendo is just reaping what they've sown, and at least their next few years will be fascinating to watch from a distance.

Did you change your username? I associate your avatar to a name that contains CITADEL. I may be wrong though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The spirit of Laguna lives on!

Its good that his latest possessed victim has a front and centre seat to Pikmin 3 stepping in line with new IP Soul Sacrifice's launch week for him to witness :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if the notably different titles like Pikmin 3 aren't really broadening the audience beyond the people who bought the system for NSMB U, would the main hope at this point be that people aren't satisfied with just having NSMB2/SM3DL/MK7 and want the console entries of NSMBU/SM3DW/MK8?

Just saw this while skimming the thread.

dude stahp

That initial massive price drop only saved PS3 from being terminal dead in initial years it still was selling badly. It took massive first party effort and another price drop to reclaim Europe and Japan.
And all the time PS3 had major third party support annouced.

Top Bottom