• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2014 (Jul 07 - Jul 13)

sense

It's written right there.

08./10. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.389) - 6.121 / 18.570 (+7%)

08. -> this week ranking
/10. -> last week ranking
[PS3] -> system the game is for
Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) -> name of the game
<ACT> -> genre
(Rockstar Games) -> publisher
{2014.06.26} -> release date
(¥5.389) -> publisher suggested price
- 6.121 -> sales this week
/ 18.570 -> LTD, life-to-date, total sales since release
(+7%) -> change in sales from last week

woah woke up on the wrong side of the bed? considering capcom published the previous gta games i was curious and at first glance i just thought that rockstar games mention was just the developer but yes if i had paid closer attention i would have realized it is the publisher. thanks....

sörine

Banned
woah woke up on the wrong side of the bed? considering capcom published the previous gta games i was curious and at first glance i just thought that rockstar games mention was just the developer but yes if i had paid closer attention i would have realized it is the publisher. thanks....
Capcom hasn't published a GTA game since San Andreas.

small44

There are now seven >200k Vita titles. Only one of them has sold >300k, but five of them came out within the past year. It still looks pretty bad for the future of the system overall, but it's a commendable second year in general considering the failure at launch. It doesn't look like it'll ever really make a "come back" like the PSP did in Japan, but I expect that in the next 1-2 years there will definitely be more and more ~200k titles since they definitely have a market locked up there with gamers who have a specific sort of taste at least. Unless someone comes up with something really special though, I doubt we'll be seeing a 500k title on the system ever, which would be the next big milestone to aim for.

None of them are from big IP so it's not bad

Monster Hunter 3DS pre-orders at Comgnet:

MH3G: 48pt > 53pt > 75pt
MH4: 21pt > 95pt > 152pt
MH4G: 23pt > 28pt > 74pt

EDIT: Missed a day, fixed now. :p

L Thammy

You mean that none of the >200K Vita titles is from a big IP? God Eater was over 500K with its first release. Two Final Fantasy remakes are among those numbers as well.

I'm also not sure why it really matters. The "PS4 is doing fine for a system with no games" excuse works only because we know that the big stuff hasn't landed yet. Phantasy Star aside, there are no signs that any big series will hit the Vita.

sörine

Banned
God Eater is a pretty big IP. So is Final Fantasy, although that one's just an HD Remaster.

Looking at all the current gen systems for 200k+ sellers.

3DS: 57 (40 over 300k)
Vita: 7 (1 over 300k)
Wii U: 7 (5 over 300k)
PS4: 1 (1 over 300k)

Camwi

The best part of Yo-kai Watch 2's success is that Level-5 can use the profits to fund Dark Cloud 3.

That's how these things work, right guys?

Right?

;_;

jakncoke

Banned
How many weeks until PS4 LTD passes 360 LTD?

How long did it take 360 to reach 1 million?

It took till 4-13-2009 week to hit 1 million for Famitsu

3-23-2009 for MC

1 million difference in the ltd atm, hard to determine when it will as the weeks are about to hit sub 5k and we dont know what kind of holiday its going to have.

small44

If none of the big established IP aren't publishing on your system because they think they can't be profitable on it, then it is a challenge.

You can't know if you don't try,if small IP is doing well big IP could also doing well

I would say God Eater is a big IP in this context. Unsurprisingly it is also the #1 title on Vita. Phantasy Star will also be a big IP, so we'll see it if performs as well or better.
There is a lot of other ip bigger then God Eater,it's a big IP on Vita but not but not compared to other IP not in Vita

You mean that none of the >200K Vita titles is from a big IP? God Eater was over 500K with its first release. Two Final Fantasy remakes are among those numbers as well.

I'm also not sure why it really matters. The "PS4 is doing fine for a system with no games" excuse works only because we know that the big stuff hasn't landed yet. Phantasy Star aside, there are no signs that any big series will hit the Vita.

sörine;121271092 said:
God Eater is a pretty big IP. So is Final Fantasy, although that one's just an HD Remaster.

Looking at all the current gen systems for 200k+ sellers.

3DS: 57 (40 over 300k)
Vita: 7 (1 over 300k)
Wii U: 7 (5 over 300k)
PS4: 1 (1 over 300k)

Final Fantasy is a port do you think a port will sell like an original Final Fantasy games and God Eater is multi-platform so both of those games are doing well considering the size of those IP
All other consoles are getting more midium popular Ip that's why they had more 300k+ titles

zeromcd73

It took till 4-13-2009 week to hit 1 million for Famitsu

3-23-2009 for MC

1 million difference in the ltd atm, hard to determine when it will as the weeks are about to hit sub 5k and we dont know what kind of holiday its going to have.

Wonder if PS4 can do the impossible and have a worse holiday season than Vita 2012.

L Thammy

The best part of Yo-kai Watch 2's success is that Level-5 can use the profits to fund Dark Cloud 3.

Right?

;_;

Well, if I made a lot of money from my own franchise, I'd probably use it to fund a sequel in another company's. So I think that's about right.

Camwi

Well, if I made a lot of money from my own franchise, I'd probably use it to fund a sequel in another company's. So I think that's about right.

Is that your snotty way of saying that Sony owns the rights? Man, I don't know what to think anymore. :(

L Thammy

You can't know if you don't try,if small IP is doing well big IP could also doing well

You never know until you try, but who is going to try that hasn't already? Konami, Square Enix, and Capcom have already displayed about as much interest in the Vita as they're ever going to.

Is that your snotty way of saying that Sony owns the rights? Man, I don't know what to think anymore. :(

Well, I was trying to be jovial, but yes.

duckroll

I don't really see many "big IP" options for the Vita which make sense at this point. I suppose the ones which make the most sense and would probably be successful and not very risky would be a Gundam Extreme Versus port. The PSP and PS3 versions of the series were very popular, and being a multiplayer-centric game, it would fit perfectly with the Vita's userbase.

Aside from that, I'm not seeing many options:

- Square Enix stuff are probably off the table because they're having so much trouble just developing FFXV and KH3 as it is. There's definitely no internal manpower left for stuff which were very successful on the PSP previously like Dissidia, Birth by Sleep, Crisis Core, and Type-0.

- Resident Evil is probably also off the table because Capcom didn't like the results it had on the 3DS - a much more successful portable platform.

- Yakuza never performed as well as the PS3 titles on the PSP, and if they weren't willing to invest in a full proper game on the PSP, I don't see them doing one for the Vita. They probably don't think spinoffs are worthwhile at this point either.

- Monster Hunter is locked on the 3DS right now as far as proper sequels go, since that's where they moved the fanbase to.

- Metal Gear Solid is another series which probably doesn't make sense due to development resources. Peace Walker sold really well because Kojima was driving the development personally, but with MGS5 there isn't going to be time for distractions.

- Tales is another series which will probably stay on consoles from now on given how they've rediscovered where the fanbase really wants their proper Tales games.

There simply aren't that many "big IPs" in Japan these days when we're looking at third party stuff for Sony platforms.

There is a lot of other ip bigger then God Eater,it's a big IP on Vita but not but not compared to other IP not in Vita

Not really. At least not on Sony platforms. God Eater sold 617k. That's a huge IP in Japan on Sony platforms these days. It's the 13th best selling PSP game of all time, and if those were PS3 numbers it would have been the 8th best selling PS3 game of all time.

19./14. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.06.05} (¥7.538) - 3.148 / 242.300 <80-100%> (-26%)
24./00. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) - 2.141 / 284.213 <80-100%>

PQ got really close to P4G in just over a month!

Of course the difference will increase from now on thanks to the the new anime. Both were very successful. I wonder what's next for Persona on Nintendo platforms.

Persona R lol

Right?

;_;

Dark Cloud is owned by Sony. Maybe another Ghibli game. It did well for them. Or maybe they will hoard the cash or spend it on mobile games.

duckroll

If we combine the sales charts for PS3 and PSP in Japan, God Eater will be the 20th best selling SKU. In that top 20, there are only 10 unique IPs. So yeah, God Eater is big IP for Sony platforms in Japan.

Here are the IPs which outsold God Eater on PS3 and PSP:

- Monster Hunter
- Final Fantasy
- Resident Evil
- Metal Gear
- Musou (One Piece)
- Kingdom Hearts
- GTA
- Tales
- Phantasy Star

small44

I don't really see many "big IP" options for the Vita which make sense at this point. I suppose the ones which make the most sense and would probably be successful and not very risky would be a Gundam Extreme Versus port. The PSP and PS3 versions of the series were very popular, and being a multiplayer-centric game, it would fit perfectly with the Vita's userbase.

Aside from that, I'm not seeing many options:

- Square Enix stuff are probably off the table because they're having so much trouble just developing FFXV and KH3 as it is. There's definitely no internal manpower left for stuff which were very successful on the PSP previously like Dissidia, Birth by Sleep, Crisis Core, and Type-0.

- Resident Evil is probably also off the table because Capcom didn't like the results it had on the 3DS - a much more successful portable platform.

- Yakuza never performed as well as the PS3 titles on the PSP, and if they weren't willing to invest in a full proper game on the PSP, I don't see them doing one for the Vita. They probably don't think spinoffs are worthwhile at this point either.

- Monster Hunter is locked on the 3DS right now as far as proper sequels go, since that's where they moved the fanbase to.

- Metal Gear Solid is another series which probably doesn't make sense due to development resources. Peace Walker sold really well because Kojima was driving the development personally, but with MGS5 there isn't going to be time for distractions.

- Tales is another series which will probably stay on consoles from now on given how they've rediscovered where the fanbase really wants their proper Tales games.

There simply aren't that many "big IPs" in Japan these days when we're looking at third party stuff for Sony platforms.
People who buy a Vita are the same as people who buy a PSP if those games does well on PSP those games would probably doing well on Vita.
I won't support developpers who don't make any risk

marrec

Banned
People who buy a Vita are the same as people who buy a PSP if those games does well on PSP those games would probably doing well on Vita.

That's a very broad view of the handheld market in Japan.

If you look more closely, you'll see that the people who bought a PSP have essentially already bought a 3DS because of MonHun... which is why they bought a PSP originally.

Akhe

01./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 1.316.707 / NEW
Holy shit!!!
181937.gif

small44

That's a very broad view of the handheld market in Japan.

If you look more closely, you'll see that the people who bought a PSP have essentially already bought a 3DS because of MonHun... which is why they bought a PSP originally.

I'm sure they would also buy a Vita if it get a Monster Hunter games but since the install base in low Monster Hunter is the only games who i could accept not being on Vita but all other games could succeed.

L Thammy

You can choose to support whatever developers you want for whatever reasons you want. You're entitled to that and I doubt anyone's going to argue otherwise. You're also probably right to think that the games that would do well on PSP would do well on the Vita.

However, it's important to understand that these publishers are not going to take these risks, as Duckroll has clearly pointed out. Whether these franchises would be successful on the Vita or not, they're not going to be there, and that might be a better decision for the company controlling the franchise. They can use their resources elsewhere.

Sad to see these numbers being called beast mode when 3ds used to sell this much on a weekly basis easily

Back then, many users came to Media Create threads every week only to post "3DS beast mode, everything else is dead", so nothing new.

By now you should know that beast mode is an on going joke.

I am pretty sure that for many people who post "beast mode", it isn't an ongoing joke.

sörine

Banned
Final Fantasy is a port do you think a port will sell like an original Final Fantasy games and God Eater is multi-platform so both of those games are doing well considering the size of those IP
All other consoles are getting more midium popular Ip that's why they had more 300k+ titles
I didn't make any judgement on their sales and I'd agree they sold fine for what they were. Just because they didn't break 500k though doesn't mean they're not big IP, that's circular logic.

I'd say the same for MH3U and DQX on Wii U. Both sold fine for what they were, even if they didn't break 500k and both were big IP.

Sakura

Rather surprised the Youkai Watch sales are so strong. Is the game actually good? I wonder how much is because of the anime.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Historical debut for Yokai, good (but not huge looking at the past of the console, imho) boost for the 3DS, good response for the Vita bundle, both MK and Freedom wars continue doing well. On the other side, home consoles are really weak in Japan.
I'm starting to doubt that PS4 could match its predecessor's LTD in Japan (initially I tought it was going to be the only one able to do so, but now...), while the Wii U seems still struggling to match GC LTD numbers...

small44

You can choose to support whatever developers you want for whatever reasons you want. You're entitled to that and I doubt anyone's going to argue otherwise. You're also probably right to think that the games that would do well on PSP would do well on the Vita.

However, it's important to understand that these publishers are not going to take these risks, as Duckroll has clearly pointed out. Whether these franchises would be successful on the Vita or not, they're not going to be there, and that might be a better decision for the company controlling the franchise. They can use their resources elsewhere.

If a hd remaster does well a real game would do a lot better their is no risk to develop MGS or Final Fantasy on Vita,developing on PSP was a higher risk then Vita since it's the first Playstation handheld.
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD does well so why Final Fantasy type- 0 is not on Vita,3rd party know people would buy even port so they only think about super easy money i won't respect those kind of third party.

Foshy

PES does what, 500k in Japan? I couldn't find specific sales for each version but between March 2012 and March 2014 PES sold over 10 million worldwide so Japan isn't really the main market. The places where PES sells well will be Southern Europe and South America- but the vita is pretty dead there. I agree Konami should release a Vita version, but it'd be so that they can challenge Fifa in the rest of Europe.
PESQ32014sales.png

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/pes-year-on-year-sales-down-by-1-8-million-units/

FIFA is growing every year while PES is shrinking massively. You're right that the majority of sales don't come from Japan, but they're still a pretty big part of the pie.

I have no source for this, but I'd guess that FIFA is one of the biggest sellers for Vita in football-crazy territories such as Spain, Portugal, Italy and South American countries. If Konami took the effort to release a good version PES on it, people would probably migrate to that instead of buying FIFA 11 again and thus could have one of the biggest sellers on the platform (not that it means much).

I wonder if Japan is as cynical about Nova as many in GAF appear to be. Guess we'll see from the reception to the demo.

There's some legit anticipation on the ground.
Evidently, it had a good showing and good reaction during Phantasy Star Festa 2014 presentation.
Personally, it's one of my most anticipated releases (hopefully) this year.

We're just cynical because it's a Sega game in a series in which recent titles have missed the localization boat all together with barely the bat of an eye from Sega over that fact.

sörine

Banned
No PES on Vita makes about as much sense as no Power Pro on 3DS. Every year I expect that to change and every year it doesn't.

Santiako

I have no source for this, but I'd guess that FIFA is one of the biggest sellers for Vita in football-crazy territories such as Spain, Portugal, Italy and South American countries. If Konami took the effort to release a good version PES on it, people would probably migrate to that instead of buying FIFA 11 again and thus could have one of the biggest sellers on the platform (not that it means much).

Here in Spain, most people I know are still waiting for a good PES to go back (in every console, not only vita), PES was so massively popular in the ps2 and start of 360/ps3 era. They buy FIFA now, but if PES was good again, they'd jump back in a heartbeat.

Lemmy

Banned
I'm happy to see Level 5 making big money again (And without having to rely on someone else's IP this time.), but I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness that this success has to be coming from something as rubbish looking as Yokai Watch. Everything I've seen of those games just looks rank as hell, and as they won't be coming out here anyways it appears, they likely won't get the chance to prove me wrong either.

Worst thing is that this will also mean that franchise is all they're likely to make from here on out.

AdanVC

This INSANE! Yokai Watch 2 surpassing it's predecessor sales in just a freaking week! I don't know guys but I think this franchise could be another phenomenon almost like Pokémon. It's incredible that it could manage to sell more than a million copies on a single week in a market that has been pretty weak lately. Huge props to Level 5 and Nintendo. Even Vita! Wii U holding spot as top home console wich is nice. PS4 however...

L Thammy

If a hd remaster does well a real game would do a lot better their is no risk to develop MGS or Final Fantasy on Vita,developing on PSP was a higher risk then Vita since it's the first Playstation handheld.
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD does well so why Final Fantasy type- 0 is not on Vita,3rd party know people would buy even port so they only think about super easy money i won't respect those kind of third party.

That's true. I agree with you. But these companies are not going to make decisions simply because there is no risk; they are thinking in terms of opportunity cost. The issue isn't that these companies are afraid of losing money. It's that they can use those same resources, they ones that they could use to make original Vita games in their big series, and use them somewhere else. Somewhere else that will make them more money than the Vita can.

For better or worse, that's what's happening. That's why the Vita is where it is right now.

Top Bottom