• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2014 (Jul 07 - Jul 13)

duckroll

Oh, I agree.
I think it's objective saying that becoming third party would drammatically change Nintendo software output (in terms of first, secondo and "partnership" party)

Absolutely. A third party Nintendo would mean a lot of compromises with regards to their output. But yet it is a reality that hangs over their head if they can't turn it around. It's a valid concern to discuss. I don't think anyone should really desire such an outcome, but it's not out of the question at all.

ESJV7Bv.png

the fumes

Horror is a pretty bad IP for videogames these days, but still a pretty smart genre for films. They can be made for very low budgets, and there's always an audience out there so it's not hard to make a good profit. I don't think Kadokawa really has any big ambitions here. They're a big company with a lot of different projects and this is just one of them. They'll make their money back for sure. Nintendo on the other hand... might not really benefit much from it at all.

For big AAA spectacackleblockbustathon Horror, yes. Although, I wonder if they'll be wise enough to partner with Youtubers to do some of those fright videos that work so well with small horror outfits like Amnesia and Outlast.

Takao

Banned
Anime Legs:
16./31. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (NAMCO BANDAI Games) {2014.04.24} - 2.994 / 231.944 (+69%)
39./56. [PSV] Persona 4 The Golden (Atlus) {2012.06.14} - 1.256 / 282.591

What the heck at this:
25./26. [PS3] Shin Hokuto Musou (Tecmo Koei Games) {2012.12.20} - 2.300 / 310.394 (-4%)

Someone have it on offer for a $1 or something? I didn't notice it last week.

Omg I hope that Oreishka does well. Not only does it look like a great jrpg but its crucial in encouraging jrpg development in SCEJ.

Don't disappoint Japanese Vita owners.

Bitanator

Oreishka won't be doing Freedom Wars numbers, so if SCEJ defines success liberally then we may see our Legend of Dragoon 2 Vita yet.

Hellraider

I really wonder what SCEJ needs to have Oreshika2 sell to consider it a success and mobilize a JRPG movement. Is it 200k? Is it 500k? Is it 3 billions?

Takao

Banned
Oreishka won't be doing Freedom Wars numbers, so if SCEJ defines success liberally then we may see our Legend of Dragoon 2 Vita yet.

If SCE were expecting this series to suddenly double in sales, they're probably going to be disappointed:

PS1 : Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke ( SCE ) { 1999-06-17 } - 34,919 / 137,559
PSP : Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke ( SCE ) { 2011-11-10 } - 88,694 / 134,532

By the way, we should forget already about Media Create Top 1000 2013 on geimin, right?
There's no news about it. :(

I've always been a MC lover, but since there's missing data (the annual tops) and Famitsu tracks digital now, I think i'm going to the dark side.
Ahh, I've been wondering if they ever released data. Guess not?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
i would expect around 10k-15k for bayonetta 2 and about 20k for hyrule warriors to be honest (first week sales).

americans are more interested in those games than the japanese audience is, i think.

I'm really confused about the pessimism here. I'm pessimistic, but this is even worse than my own...

These are NES Remix 1 & 2's numbers: NES Remix 1 + 2 11,020 27,124

Folks are really expecting Hyrule Warriors & Bayo 2 to have a comparable first week to a retail release of two digital titles? Unlike Wonderful 101 these are known IPs that are now exclusive to Wii U. These aren't the typical family friendly fare as well, so their first week sales are likely going to be the majority of their sales (aka not much legs imo).

Personally I think Zelda Musou will have about 100K LTD with 40K FW (aka similar to DKC). I think a combined set of Warriors & Zelda fans can push it up to those numbers... (there's at least about 35K Warriors owners & 50K Zelda Wind Waker owners) already. Bayo 2 might be closer to 75K. They'll do terribly compared to other consoles, but relatively do better than the average game on Wii U.

Let's see how Warriors games have done on different consoles for example (btw for so many games, these games sold pretty well on PS3):
PS3:
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 627,214 828,132
Dynasty Warriors 7 259,787 476,018
Dynasty Warriors 6 176,180 416,288
Warriors Orochi 3 210,553 395,411
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 190,293 385,987
Dynasty Warriors 8 213,338 371,531
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 161,623 352,659
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 171,032 330,995
Samurai Warriors 3 Z 224,012 328,716
Samurai Warriors 4 149,068 251,807
Warriors Orochi Z 104,326 229,126
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn 113,493 214,225
Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires 78,680 158,401
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends 79,452 154,813
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 82,986 146,165
Samurai Warriors 3: Empires 70,488 122,519
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires 67,358 103,800
Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 30,070 88,472
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends 36,588 59,169
Warriors: Legends of Troy 28,556 53,591
Dynasty Warriors Online: Shinshou Ranbu 8,150 31,460
Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 HD Version ? 7,940
Samurai Warriors 2 with Xtreme Legends & Empires HD Version 6,627 6,627

3DS:
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 43,044 155,059
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd 35,806 68,360
Dynasty Warriors VS 15,607 45,870

Vita:
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 54,509 103,757
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn 44,889 96,021
Samurai Warriors 4 43,545 92,722
Dynasty Warriors Next 32,044 80,052
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 24,825 48,225
Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends 11,627 11,627

Wii U:
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper 6,184 35,000

PS4:
Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends 13,576 40,823
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 7,129 11,852

Also I didn't realize we had any #s for Yakuza 1&2 on Wii U. It didn't sell much less than Sonic in the end lol. Sure these are terrible #s, but just FYI I guess.

WIU Sonic: Lost World ? 9,613
WIU Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U ? 7,700

sphinx

the piano man
I would like to be optimistic but after seeing how donkey kong country went from being a million selling IP to a sub 100k selling series with tropical freeze, I think Anihawk's predictions are spot on

I mean, compare the sales of DKC Wii to either Zelda:TP or SS and I think that put's us around the 30k ~ 40k area for Hyrule Warriors, but since Wii U owners just refuse to buy software and like the dust their consoles gather, it's 20k.

62. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 66.364 / 162.440

We last saw the LTD in Famitsu in Week 4 which was 130.673, so if the above is as of June 29th which should be Week 26th, so it gained around 32,000 after 22 weeks.

I definitely expected it to be above 150k and am glad I was right by quite a bit. It just popped back into the Top 50 last week in Media Create, so it's still kicking!

What will be telling is if a 2nd entry is announced for this year. If not, this will get a nice boost at Christmas. If it is announced, will it get a boost anyway?

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate is still the highest 3rd-party Wii U game at 218k. Taiko is 2nd.

I would like to be optimistic but after seeing how donkey kong country went from being a million selling IP to a sub 100k selling series with tropical freeze

Over. ;)

41. [WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985) - 108.017

Fularu

Banned
I would like to be optimistic but after seeing how donkey kong country went from being a million selling IP to a sub 100k selling series with tropical freeze, I think Anihawk's predictions are spot on

I mean, compare the sales of DKC Wii to either Zelda:TP or SS and I think that put's us around the 30k ~ 40k area for Hyrule Warriors, but since Wii U owners just refuse to buy software and like the dust their consoles gather, it's 20k.

I think when all is said and done, DKTF will be at about 200k in Japan. It's one of those games that just keeps on selling low amounts week in, week out, like most Nintendo plateformers

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

DKCTF was a platformer. There are already tons and tons of platformers on the Wii U and there clearly wasn't a big enough audience to buy all of them. Apart from Warriors Orochi Hyper, there are no Warriors games on Wii U. It's also an exclusive with a Zelda crossover. I think it'll do better than folks are expecting.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Absolutely. A third party Nintendo would mean a lot of compromises with regards to their output. But yet it is a reality that hangs over their head if they can't turn it around. It's a valid concern to discuss. I don't think anyone should really desire such an outcome, but it's not out of the question at all.

I agree

Takao

Banned
DKCTF was a platformer. There are already tons and tons of platformers on the Wii U and there clearly wasn't a big enough audience to buy all of them. Apart from Warriors Orochi Hyper, there are no Warriors games on Wii U. It's also an exclusive with a Zelda crossover. I think it'll do better than folks are expecting.

Your list is missing the Fist of the North Star games. They weren't branded as "Warriors" titles in the west, but they carried the "Musou" label in Japan.

PS3 : Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage ( Koei ) { 2010-03-25 } - 385,551 / 553,229
PS3 : Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage - International ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2010-12-02 } - - / 30,299
PS3 : Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2012-12-20 } - 116,513 / 292,174

WIU : Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2013-01-31 } - 6,241 / 11,301

Do not fail me Japan.

oreshikacutf8k1s.gif

It will not be forgiven if it does.

I am no longer confident of 150k for HW lol

Lets say 100k. Sub 50k seems way too low. I mean this is at least a new Warrior game (not out on any other platform) and he Zelda base has to be somewhat interested. What else will they be playing on their WiiU.

Well, let's be honest, Nintendo is basically losing money on many of these core titles just to try to diversify their lineup more. It certainly doesn't look like it's working very well, but I'm happy to see them waste their money to make stuff which otherwise won't be made just to satisfy a small fanbase.

Xenoblade is certainly not a game which any publisher would really be happy with ~200k in sales. Considering how poorly the WiiU is doing, going ahead with a sequel which looks even more ambitious and expensive is really foolish economically. But as a first party, they're able to not look at that and just commit to a range of titles hoping things work out in the end. If big titles which people are willing to buy can offset the cost, losing money just to create a wider range is a valid strategy in this case. It's similar to how Sony can lose money on stuff like Puppeteer I guess.

They're right for doing so. You can't be profit-centric and restrict your userbase to a select number of games and genres solely based on money/sales. Otherwise you'll have a hard time to make your hardware appealing to a mass market and in the the end will become a niche product. This is what happened with Wii U. Now, after Iwata realized he misread the market, he's trying to go after the core market and diversify Wii U's audience, as E3's line-up indicated.

TheChaos0

It will not be forgiven if it does.

I am no longer confident of 150k for HW lol

Lets say 100k. Sub 50k seems way too low. I mean this is at least a new Warrior game (not out on any other platform) and he Zelda base has to be somewhat interested. What else will they be playing on their WiiU.

I'd say it'll do around 100k, give or take. 80k maybe.

No idea how Oreshika will do but I hope it'll meet SCEJ's goals.

Not sure whether Oreshika sold out is low retailer expectations or high consumer demand. I sincerely hope the latter (and I suppose it is more likely, given Tsutaya's comments).

Anyway, I really hope Oreshika does well. Aside from it being something that I think looks damned awesome, it may be the only hope for Wild ARMs 6.

Spiegel

Oreshika 2 looks pretty low budget. Art is good but Sony isn't breaking the bank making the game.

I'm sure they expect a similar performance to the original and remake but hoping for higher sales.

Takao

Banned
Sony is pushing Destiny hard:

BeoGImf.jpg

http://pur.store.sony.jp/Qnavi/Product/CUHJ-10005/
PS4 Destiny Pack
1 Month PS+ Subscription
Destiny
Glacier White PS4 w/ headset and DS4
44,980&#20870;

ILI2hFM.jpg

http://store.sony.jp/Special/Game/Ps4/Destiny/
PS4 Destiny Pack Limited Edition (Sony.com exclusive)
1 Month PS+ Subscription
Destiny
Glacier White PS4 w/ headset and DS4
46,980&#20870;

September 11th release for both.

Is this the first time a third party game has been bundled in all major markets?

pls bundle minecraft you goofs

edit: Well, I guess Destiny technically isn't a third party game since Sony's publishing it in Japan ...

edit #2: The Last of Us PS4 Sony.com LE too

OqprZOC.jpg

http://store.sony.jp/Special/Game/Ps4/The-Last-of-us/

hiska-kun

First Day Sellthrough:

PSV Oreshika 2 - 60% (quite good volume of copies)
PS3 Atelier Shallie - 50-60%
3DS Gundam Tri Age - 30%
3DS Hamatora - 20% (small shipment)
PS3 PS4 Murdered - 20%

3DS Hoppechan - 10%
WIU Wii Sports Club - ... ... ...
Dead and far from the others

KtSlime

Sony needs to do something, and bundles work sometimes. I hope Japan takes to Destiny.
Doubt it, way too expensive, un-interesting genre, unproven IP, subscription fee required, can't play when during your free time (this is not unique to PS4, but all consoles).

Wii sports club bundle: I don't know what Nintendo was thinking, this is the least interesting Wii U bundle I've seen, I think I'm going to wait to get my Wii U until they have something better to offer. :(

Top Bottom