• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2014 (Jul 07 - Jul 13)

L~A

how many different versions are comg selling of Zelda musou? Amazon have 3 so it's possible preorders are split

It doesn't matter, the special editions are all exclusive to Amazon (or GameCity, TK's official website), so they wouldn't show up in Comgnet's charts.

I don't think an anime adaptation would help that much in this case. Could help selling a few thousands of copies, but it is not a silver bullet.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I will never take 1 star amazon reviews seriously. Especially reviews that show up only 1-4 days after release.

It does say "286 of 310 people found the following review helpful", in addition to being the most helpful review overall. The troll 1 star reviews have ratios such as 8 out of 60 and are much shorter because the people writing them have never played a video game in their life.

Yasumi

Banned
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00JOYEY64/

Oreshika is getting dragged on Amazon. Not really the kind of game to be the target of troll reviews and people seem to be agreeing with many of the 1 star impressions.

Anyone care to post a quick translation?
Pretty much stuff like "game is too repetitive," "it's too much like the previous game, not a real sequel," "story sucks," "you get too overpowered from mating with certain gods," "I don't like this one character," not really anything that should warrant a 1 star rating.

Amazon is a terrible metric, since you don't need to actually buy the product to review it. On PSN, it has a 4.57 star rating with 210 reviews.

Pretty much stuff like "game is too repetitive," "it's too much like the previous game, not a real sequel," "story sucks," "you get too overpowered from mating with certain gods," "I don't like this one character," not really anything that should warrant a 1 star rating.

Amazon is a terrible metric, since you don't need to actually buy the product to review it. On PSN, it has a 4.57 star rating with 210 reviews.

Wow what silly reviews. I actually find amazon reviews quite helpful. There's usually some poeple that write great reviews.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

The best bullshit Ive seen is from some dumbass with a different tile who said hes played for over 72 hours when the game just came out. The worst thing about shit like that is Amazon rarely cleans up the bullshit reviews. And to top it off you can see other posts have been deleted but ones that are pretty blatant stupid sauce still remain.

Amazon reviews are generally meant to be taken with a grain of salt as they have no actual standards in regards to how a user can review things, let alone its not even properly moderated.

Arzehn

The best bullshit Ive seen is from some dumbass with a different tile who said hes played for over 72 hours when the game just came out. The worst thing about shit like that is Amazon rarely cleans up the bullshit reviews. And to top it off you can see other posts have been deleted but ones that are pretty blatant stupid sauce still remain.

Amazon reviews are generally meant to be taken with a grain of salt as they have no actual standards in regards to how a user can review things, let alone its not even properly moderated.

To top it off this seems to be some sort of vendetta against Shoji Masuda. (creator?) Appears they are trying to get some sort of reaction from him on twitter I think.

Just going through some of the esuteru comments in a tsutaya thread...

Ahegao

Banned

?
The criticism is actually pretty damn laser focused on Nueko. Many fans of the first game seem to think that she drags the scenario and role of the family as the protags down and inhibits the gameplay in a way that shits on the concept of the first game.

Amazon reviews are complete garbage but this criticism seems to be the general sentiment among fans of the first game everywhere which is a bit more problematic.

extralite

You picked out certain points out of longer reviews and I have yet to encounter any of those except the recurring criticism of the story. This strikes me as disingenuous.

The current top low ranking review complains about the focus on the Nueko character and that they preferred the self created main character of the original.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/review/RIJDZ6G3Y6M95/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RIJDZ6G3Y6M95

Basically the character you play as isn't given much attention by the gods who seem to only care about Nueko. The game forces you to use Nueko in boss battles, taking away freedom in how to assign your party. She dies and needs to be reincarnated a lot. There are no scenes between her and the protagonist, making it hard to form sympathy for her.

And since they felt the game only cares about Nueko and not about the player character, giving them no opportunity to feel for the characters and story, other shortcomings which they put up with so far have become unbearable as well. They write that others already covered those so they don't go into detail.

Other reviews echo this criticism of being all about Nueko and the story being lacking.

Lots of the 1 star reviews are buyers confirmed by Amazon. And they have high agreement counts as well, sometimes 3 digit.

Wow what silly reviews.
You haven't read any of the reviews you just called silly. What you read is super short "summaries" by a poster here.

zeromcd73

The OreShika2 reviews on amazon does have several troll reviews (as any game does), but the majority of them giving it a 1 star are respected reviewers by looking through their previous review lists.

Votron

13 games.

- Pokemon X/Y (12.26m)
- Mario Kart 7 (9.62m)
- Super Mario 3D Land (9.27m)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (7.82m)
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (7.66m)
- Monster Hunter 4 (4.10m)
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3.98m)
- Nintendogs + Cats (3.50m)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3.35m)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2.51m)
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (2.40m)
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2.21m)
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (2.08m)

DO you know how many vita games passed same mark please?

You haven't read any of the reviews you just called silly. What you read is super short "summaries" by a poster here.

And?

Looking at some of the statements that poster has quoted as well the general consensus on amazon jp reviews now why should I take the time to look any further through that crap.

I'll rely on the impressions thread instead.

Parakeetman

And?

Looking at some of the statements that poster has quoted as well the general consensus on amazon jp reviews now why should I take the time to look any further through that crap.

I have the game and like it. Thats all you need to know.

Jokes aside Id say Shouta would be the best bet for some real no bullshit with the title as hes apparently a huge fan of the series. Guess his schedule was too busy to do an import OT unfortunately as figured he would have been the best choice for one or at least an impression thread. Someone should go bug him about it as am curious if he got the game. Id imagine so though.

casiopao

And?

Even though impressions thread had their flaws as well?

How Bravely is very hyped and it fell flat on chptr 6 and 7?

How type 0 is overhyped and again plays not as good as the impression thread?

It is the same here if u ask me. As long as the review does explain the reason for its flaw and considering many person in the review agree with the review, it sure is not all rosy there.

Yup. The worst thing is that we are not even sure if the 1m list is any different!

I kinda understand then on why many devs don't care about this machine now.

It makes me shudder remembering that one funny graphics about game sales in jp 3ds vs Vita which uses the pics of soldier tanks and airplanes where most of vita seller is foot soldier lol.

I have the game and like it. Thats all you need to know.

Jokes aside Id say Shouta would be the best bet for some real no bullshit with the title as hes apparently a huge fan of the series. Guess his schedule was too busy to do an import OT unfortunately as figured he would have been the best choice for one or at least an impression thread. Someone should go bug him about it as am curious if he got the game. Id imagine so though.

Hopefully he will make a post in the impressions thread.

It is the same here if u ask me. As long as the review does explain the reason for its flaw and considering many person in the review agree with the review, it sure is not all rosy there.

It makes me shudder remembering that one funny graphics about game sales in jp 3ds vs Vita which uses the pics of soldier tanks and airplanes where most of vita seller is foot soldier lol.

My point is I'm not going to rely on Amazon reviews as a way to judge a titles quality. With niche Japanese titles its really hard to assess their quality because Famitsu is a joke with their scores, Amazon is full of silly reviews and western media sometimes don't review them. Getting insights form reasonable posters on neogaf is the best way I have found. I trust those posters way more.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Who the hell didn't warn you guys about Bravely default. I stated it's flaws pretty much when I got to that point (EU version). Imagine most people played the game to that posted once or twice about and then stopped posting and then a load of people skipped over those posts. Probably the spoiler tags as well.

casiopao

Who the hell didn't warn you guys about Bravely default. I stated it's flaws pretty much when I got to that point (EU version). Imagine most people played the game to that posted once or twice about and then stopped posting and then a load of people skipped over those posts. Probably the spoiler tags as well.

I am saying about JP impression though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I am saying about JP impression though.

I'll be honest I didn't check out the Japanese impressions which must have been ages before the EU release. Though yeah the impressions in the EU thread were generally positive from the people that had played the original version. But still it wasn't a massive hoodwink. 20-30 hours of the game was good which is longer than most games. It's just the rest was utter shite.

Plus it was an expanded edition so even they didn't know what exactly was in that version.

casiopao

I'll be honest I didn't check out the Japanese impressions which must have been ages before the EU release. Though yeah the impressions in the EU thread were generally positive from the people that had played the original version. But still it wasn't a massive hoodwink. 20-30 hours of the game was good which is longer than most games. It's just the rest was utter shite.

Plus it was an expanded edition so even they didn't know what exactly was in that version.

Well, for me I will said the game is an 7.5 or 8 out of 10 point kind of game.
It is really fun from the beginning till the end. The only problem is that chap 6. Chap 5 and 7 is still okay to me as there are tons of different conversation and the battle especially on 7 is intense however, the difference in 5 and 6 is abbysmal which is badddddddddd.

At least the final boss batlle and theme is totally epic.^_^

extralite

And?

Hopefully he will make a post in the impressions thread.

My point is I'm not going to rely on Amazon reviews as a way to judge a titles quality. With niche Japanese titles its really hard to assess their quality because Famitsu is a joke with their scores, Amazon is full of silly reviews and western media sometimes don't review them. Getting insights form reasonable posters on neogaf is the best way I have found. I trust those posters way more.

I didn't play the game, you didn't play the game. We can't form an opinion on it. So I cannot agree or disagree with any review.

A review is nothing more than an opinion. If the opinion is well explained I might guess that I'd share that opinion. But in the end, you have to play a game yourself to really know.

What you're saying is Japanese Amazon reviewers are silly (although you can't even read what they write), Famitsu reviews are a joke (even though you can't read them) and Western Amazon reviews and NeoGAF impression threads are good assessments. Basically you say Japanese are stupid and you will agree more with Western reviewers.

While the last part may be true and for you personally, deciding to pick up a game, that might be the most important criteria. But discrediting Japanese opinions because they don't agree with what you want to believe, that is disrespectful and you should stop it.

I wonder what would have happened to the gaming industry had outlets like Amazon been a major source of assessing the quality of a product three days after release when Final Fantasy VII was released.

What would have happen with all the sensible and justified 1-star reviews because of one or two particular characters?
They killed Aerith and forced Tifa as the love interest of the main character, Cloud, so it completely ruined my experience. 1-star, avoid this game at all costs. Ah, there is also frame-rate drops, so 1-star is perfect.

casiopao

I wonder what would have happened to the gaming industry had outlets like Amazon been a major source of assessing the quality of a product three days after release when Final Fantasy VII was released.

What would have happen with all the sensible and justified 1-star reviews because of one or two particular characters?
They killed Aerith and forced Tifa as the love interest of the main character, Cloud, so it completely ruined my experience. 1-star, avoid this game at all costs. Ah, there is also frame-rate drops, so 1-star is perfect.

If u don't understand the difference between the complain of those on JP amazons in regards on the mechanic and how it does not reflect on what makes the first good with ur example there, I don't even know what to say.

extralite

Those positive ratings on PSN, how fast did they appear? I guess they're more reliable because they're positive, doesn't matter that they were given out just as quickly.

A review is nothing more than an opinion. Of course on these platforms you can also see the number of those ratings but the more interesting part are the texts. Which are long and well argued enough that they get overwhelming agreement counts.

My problem is when something is discredited BECAUSE it disagrees with what you want to believe. When names are called and people are ridiculed based on hearsay, by biased posters.

Orgen

I didn't play the game, you didn't play the game. We can't form an opinion on it. So I cannot agree or disagree with any review.

A review is nothing more than an opinion. If the opinion is well explained I might guess that I'd share that opinion. But in the end, you have to play a game yourself to really know.

What you're saying is Japanese Amazon reviewers are silly (although you can't even read what they write), Famitsu reviews are a joke (even though you can't read them) and Western Amazon reviews and NeoGAF impression threads are good assessments. Basically you say Japanese are stupid and you will agree more with Western reviewers.

While the last part may be true and for you personally, deciding to pick up a game, that might be the most important criteria. But discrediting Japanese opinions because they don't agree with what you want to believe, that is disrespectful and you should stop it.

Some of you seem new in the MC Threads. Spot the "subtle" differences:

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114832090&postcount=567

Regarding Oreshika 2:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121950097&postcount=558

Always with love Psycho <3

P.S: On a more serious note, maybe the "you say Japanese are stupid" is a bit too much of an extrapolation but Psycho shouldn't have jumped the gun with the first "translations" imho.

casiopao

Those positive ratings on PSN, how fast did they appear? I guess they're more reliable because they're positive, doesn't matter that they were given out just as quickly.

A review is nothing more than an opinion. Of course on these platforms you can also see the number of those ratings but the more interesting part are the texts. Which are long and well argued enough that they get overwhelming agreement counts.

My problem is when something is discredited BECAUSE it disagrees with what you want to believe. When names are called and people are ridiculed based on hearsay, by biased posters.

Well, review whether it is from reputable websites or from a nobody like any of us for me is simply a type of opinion.

It can differs or it can be the same. For example: I don't hate Persona 3 and Persona 4 as they moved towards social link where as I like Persona 1 and 2 much more due to the nature of the game where P1 and P2 is more to the point and the theme is darker compared to the 3rd and 4th ones.

Does that make my opinion as worthless? As I am on the negative sides or the minority here?

random25

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

Regarding Oreshika 2:

P.S: On a more serious note, maybe the "you say Japanese are stupid" is a bit too much of an extrapolation but Psycho shouldn't have jumped the gun with the first "translations" imho.

Oh...wow...lol

Fisico

Yup that was my point, but with your links above I think I'd have an hard time defending him more than that lol.

Did I say they are more reliable?

But the argument being made is that the 1-star review is absolutely deserved as many people are agreeing that the game has unlikable characters that you have to use, or that the game tries to force you to use, and that it harms the freedom of choice people used to have in the first installment.

And the counterargument is that people are too quick to give 1 or 5 star ratings in sites like Amazon, and complaints and praise valid or not, people shouldn't try to evaluate the real reception to the games based on these grades, reviews and comments, since early reviewers are prone to overreacting, positively or negatively, to anything that pleases or annoys them.

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

Regarding Oreshika 2:

the expose D:

Spiegel

Yokai Watch 2 must have had limited supply this past week, at least at Tsutaya stores, because Oreshika has placed number two between the two versions of the game.

And now Oreshika has a 2 star rating at Amazon.

I think Masuda has been tweeting about the game, so it would be nice if someone can translate the tweets and tell us if the game really has been received that badly.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7779860.html

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

Regarding Oreshika 2:

Psycho_Mantis just got Phoenician_Vikinged. XD

Parakeetman

Yokai Watch 2 must have had limited supply this past week, at least at Tsutaya stores, because Oreshika has placed number two between the two versions of the game.

And now Oreshika has a 2 star rating at Amazon.

I think Masuda has been tweeting about the game, so it would be nice if someone can translate the tweets and tell us if the game really has been received that badly.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7779860.html

Its more him addressing various points in regards to people who tweeted him. Not exactly the same, but similar to how the Freedom Wars devs forgot which one was writing replies in regards to all the issues folks brought up with that game.

Gonna talk to my co-worker tomorrow who was a hardcore fan of the first one and see what he thinks now that he had a 3 day weekend to spend with the title. Am sure hes read all the tweets also. Since the guy knows the game in and out pretty good. He was playing through the first one again in anticipation for 2 and was rushing to try and clear the hidden dungeon again or something.

We were joking at work with how high the %age of getting a starting character with the "Zabiel" type of haircut when you start the game.

c2399d15.jpg

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

Regarding Oreshika 2:

damn

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

Regarding Oreshika 2:

Are you misunderstanding something?

I actually find amazon reviews quite helpful. There's usually some poeple that write great reviews.

Note how I actually say Amazon reviews are usually helpful.

Some seem to be disappointed that its luck based (?) and not as difficult as they wanted it to be.......I dunno seems like they've lost a lot online lol

Amazon reviews are usually quite helpful. Those Demon Souls reviews for instance were incredibly positive.

Note how I once again say they are helpful.
Note how I ridicule people giving MK8 low reviews ("must have lost a lot online lol") due to the smallest of personal problems.

Same thing here with Oreishka. "I don't like this one character" therefore 1 star rating. Sure its his/her opinion, criticism may be valid but suddenly a 1 star just for that. Okay then. I'm all up for negative criticism but not like this.

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

Regarding Oreshika 2:

I don't get it, the first one seems like a "lol they're salty" comment.

Spiegel

Its more him addressing various points in regards to people who tweeted him. Not exactly the same, but similar to how the Freedom Wars devs forgot which one was writing replies in regards to all the issues folks brought up with that game.

Gonna talk to my co-worker tomorrow who was a hardcore fan of the first one and see what he thinks now that he had a 3 day weekend to spend with the title. Am sure hes read all the tweets also. Since the guy knows the game in and out pretty good. He was playing through the first one again in anticipation for 2 and was rushing to try and clear the hidden dungeon again or something.

We were joking at work with how high the %age of getting a starting character with the "Zabiel" type of haircut when you start the game.

Thanks.

Talking about Freedom Wars I'm surprised at the response it has had even on PSN, where it's rated pretty low too.

"Guy who likes children". Uh huh. Nope, not creepy at all. Nooooooooooooope. >_<

What? That's his name in the game?

Top Bottom