• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2014 (Jul 07 - Jul 13)

Orgen

Are you misunderstanding something?

Note how I actually say Amazon reviews are usually helpful.

Note how I once again say they are helpful.
Note how I ridicule people giving MK8 low reviews ("must have lost a lot online lol") due to the smallest of personal problems.

Same thing here with Oreishka. "I don't like this one character" therefore 1 star rating. Sure its his/her opinion, criticism may be valid but suddenly a 1 star just for that. Okay then. I'm all up for negative criticism but not like this.

Ohhhh I see... Maybe I should try another quote from this page?

My point is I'm not going to rely on Amazon reviews as a way to judge a titles quality...

... Amazon is full of silly reviews...

Sorry for the "misunderstanding" :p

I don't get it, the first one seems like a "lol they're salty" comment.

I was trying (and failing it seems?) jokingly to convey that when it's Mario kart "maybe they were salty but amazon reviews are helpful" and when it's oreshika "wow, amazon is full of silly reviews". Anyway I'm not trying to make a witch hunt here or something similar, just trying to make fun about all this "amazon reviews are silly" situation :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
"Guy who likes children". Uh huh. Nope, not creepy at all. Nooooooooooooope. >_<

GJbFNU3.png

Salex_

He said the Amazon reviews are helpful, as in, provides some useful information. He didn't say Amazon reviews were good to judge the overall quality of the game. When you have people rating a game 1 star because they didn't like a character that's called a "silly review".

It's a good idea to start reading before you attempt to call people out.

Parakeetman

Ojisan ha ne, is a terribly creepy way to start off a conversation; the rest makes it absolutely horrifying. LOL.

Best comment from the a JP site that picked up on this.

"&#12501;&#12511;&#12385;&#12419;&#12435;&#36867;&#12370;&#12390;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;&#12360;"

lol

http://hamusoku.com/archives/8460282.html

I was trying (and failing it seems?) jokingly to convey that when it's Mario kart "maybe they were salty but amazon reviews are helpful" and when it's oreshika "wow, amazon is full of silly reviews". Anyway I'm not trying to make a witch hunt here or something similar, just trying to make fun about all this "amazon reviews are silly" situation :)

The full quote and note how it appears after me saying how helpful Amazon reviews were to me (i.e I changed my mind, or specifically how much importance I place on these "reviews") :

My point is I'm not going to rely on Amazon reviews as a way to judge a titles quality. With niche Japanese titles its really hard to assess their quality because Famitsu is a joke with their scores, Amazon is full of silly reviews and western media sometimes don't review them. Getting insights form reasonable posters on neogaf is the best way I have found. I trust those posters way more.

I admit I was being hyperbolic by saying "full" but I'm not retracting my initial sentence in that post.

The bolded statement is laughable. not only does it add some ridiculous twist on my words but when it was about Oreshika I said the same thing as when it was MK.

Wow what silly reviews. I actually find amazon reviews quite helpful. There's usually some poeple that write great reviews.

Heck you even linked to that post xD

hiska-kun

Yokai Watch 2 must have had limited supply this past week, at least at Tsutaya stores, because Oreshika has placed number two between the two versions of the game.

I pointed the stock problems on thursday.
And now, pics from today Monday.

Bic Camera Shinjuku, new urgent shipment just arrived, but since it's not big it's limited one game per person!
050DC6B1-2550-455E-9E2E-A61DD0C33FAE_zpsaw5rfzex.jpg

Yodabashi Camera Shinjuku (Sold Out)
They even removed the stand.
CBA48E46-3345-42A8-915C-E73D12DCD7C6_zpsmgb4iwmf.jpg

I didn't check Tsutaya, but probably a good amount of shops are facing stock problems.

L~A

^

Wow, that's impressive. I thought Level-5 was actually able to ship enough copies, but looks like it wasn't the case at all. Word on new shipment? Is the Jibanyan 3DS XL still readily available?

b61d98e2.jpg

There's a creepy old guy down in a dark tunnel in Youkai Watch 2 that loves energetic little girls... So creepy.

Welp, now know there's at least one thing getting censored in the western version of Youkai Watch 2 (provided we ever get the games at all :p).

Full translation:
You know, I really like healthy little girls like you" -- Guy who likes children

Ha ha, crazy stuff, Level-5! For some reason, the 'healhty' part makes it even worse.

extralite

Yokai Watch 2 must have had limited supply this past week, at least at Tsutaya stores, because Oreshika has placed number two between the two versions of the game.

And now Oreshika has a 2 star rating at Amazon.

I think Masuda has been tweeting about the game, so it would be nice if someone can translate the tweets and tell us if the game really has been received that badly.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7779860.html

In the last tweet on the page, which is also quoted in the headline, he admits that he evidently betrayed the expectations of many fans of the original. He thinks it's his job to assess the reasons for why people were dissatisfied and think about what he can do about it.

&#22810;&#12367;&#12398;&#21069;&#20316;&#12501;&#12449;&#12531;&#12398;&#26399;&#24453;&#12434;&#35023;&#20999;&#12387;&#12383;&#12371;&#12392;&#12399;&#26126;&#30333;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;&#12289;&#19981;&#28288;&#12398;&#20869;&#23481;&#12434;&#20998;&#39006;&#12375;&#20491;&#12293;&#12398;&#21407;&#22240;&#12434;&#29305;&#23450;&#12375;&#12289;&#20170;&#12363;&#12425;&#20309;&#12364;&#12391;&#12365;&#12427;&#12363;&#12434;&#32771;&#12360;&#12427;&#12371;&#12392;&#12364;&#20693;&#12398;&#20181;&#20107;&#12384;&#12392;&#24605;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;

Ha ha, crazy stuff, Level-5! For some reason, the 'healhty' part makes it even worse.
I'm pretty sure he says the same to Kenta as well. And genki has already been correctly translated in this thread as energetic, he clearly is admiring the energy displayed by the kids exploring their surroundings and not just staying at home all the time.

And liking kids makes you a pedo now? For the same reason male kindergarten workers are frowned upon (as if working for a small wage wasn't bad enough already). You can like children without it being sexual. There are also examples of adults not liking children because they're noisy or whatever. I guess that is preferable because if you hate children no one will think you're a pedo.

Kandinsky

Some of you seem new in the MC Threads. Spot the "subtle" differences:

Regarding Mario Kart 8:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114832090&postcount=567

Regarding Oreshika 2:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121950097&postcount=558

Always with love Psycho <3

P.S: On a more serious note, maybe the "you say Japanese are stupid" is a bit too much of an extrapolation but Psycho shouldn't have jumped the gun with the first "translations" imho.

We all know PM true colors, but man way to fail at that quoting, he is basically saying the same thing lol.

Orgen

He said the Amazon reviews are helpful, as in, provides some useful information. He didn't say Amazon reviews were good to judge the overall quality of the game. When you have people rating a game 1 star because they didn't like a character that's called a "silly review".

It's a good idea to start reading before you attempt to call people out.

Maybe you should read all the thread and see that the 1 star reviews convey more than just "not liking one character"? And that he was reacting like "silly reviews" when he doesn't know anything about Japanese? (And it's been said that the reviews are valid and from trusted amazon users).

The "when Mario Kart did have negative reviews you didn't act like that" was just a joke on my part. No need for defense force and much less to prompt me to start reading (seeing that more people has the same "reading problems" on the last page :p).

The full quote and note how it appears after me saying how helpful Amazon reviews were to me (i.e I changed my mind, or specifically how much importance I place on these "reviews") :

I admit I was being hyperbolic by saying "full" but I'm not retracting my initial sentence in that post.

The bolded statement is laughable. not only does it add some ridiculous twist on my words but when it was about Oreshika I said the same thing as when it was MK.

Heck you even linked to that post xD

I know you were hyperbolic and I'm not accusing you from anything ;D We all know each other well here on the MC threads and our preferences. Making a joke with this was just like making fun of Mpl90 and his Nintendo bias (or worst, his comnet obsession... Mmmm... Hahaha)

It was just funny to me your reaction at the first translations of the reviews, just that :p We all know that amazon reviews are like a mixed bag but if you don't know Japanese (like me) is better to take a "wait and see" approach about the translations.

And you are right, gaffers impressions >>>>> amazon reviews. Anyway, it was just a joke so now more talking about the yokai pedo-watch :)

Shouta

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00JOYEY64/

Oreshika is getting dragged on Amazon. Not really the kind of game to be the target of troll reviews and people seem to be agreeing with many of the 1 star impressions.

Anyone care to post a quick translation?

Its more him addressing various points in regards to people who tweeted him. Not exactly the same, but similar to how the Freedom Wars devs forgot which one was writing replies in regards to all the issues folks brought up with that game.

Gonna talk to my co-worker tomorrow who was a hardcore fan of the first one and see what he thinks now that he had a 3 day weekend to spend with the title. Am sure hes read all the tweets also. Since the guy knows the game in and out pretty good. He was playing through the first one again in anticipation for 2 and was rushing to try and clear the hidden dungeon again or something.

We were joking at work with how high the %age of getting a starting character with the "Zabiel" type of haircut when you start the game.

So, reading the legit reviews. It sounds like the way they made the game, they created a char that is absolutely required to proceed in the story and it revolves around her. The family/your characters aren't center stage, more or less. That's basically the opposite of what the first game was about and has pissed off a lot of fans of the first game.

Oreshika 1 was basically the Elder Scrolls of JRPGs. It gave you a basic story and the gameplay then let you just do whatever you want to move the story along. For folks that like to create their own characters/personalities as they go, it was a really nice playground to create your own narrative as you enjoyed the game. So it's pretty understandable that fans would be pissed off at having a character be the center of the story and have so much focus within the game itself. There's apparently a mid-boss that you can't get past without having said character in your party.

Most of the comments I read otherwise said that the gameplay/music/sound was great. There seems to be a lot of freezing bugs though.

Parakeetman

So, reading the legit reviews. It sounds like the way they made the game, they created a char that is absolutely required to proceed in the story and it revolves around her. The family/your characters aren't center stage, more or less. That's basically the opposite of what the first game was about and has pissed off a lot of fans of the first game.

Oreshika 1 was basically the Elder Scrolls of JRPGs. It gave you a basic story and the gameplay then let you just do whatever you want to move the story along. For folks that like to create their own characters/personalities as they go, it was a really nice playground to create your own narrative as you enjoyed the game. So it's pretty understandable that fans would be pissed off at having a character be the center of the story and have so much focus within the game itself. There's apparently a mid-boss that you can't get past without having said character in your party.

Most of the comments I read otherwise said that the gameplay/music/sound was great. There seems to be a lot of freezing bugs though.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by Shouta and add input to the issue. Makes sense though considering it is a large change. Will be interesting to hear what the guy at work has to say today. As he was pretty into the first one so possibly might be the same type of general comments.

It is odd that they made Nueko such a strong main role, when the game itself has been toted more about ones clan and such. Not to mention shes not even on the cover of the game lol.

Im waiting for a Japanese review site that I look at sometimes to see what folks have to say there, but it doesnt allow write ups till a few weeks after a game is released. But its not as popular as it used to be so review numbers are kinda low. Its too bad there are not more user input sites and navigating places like 2ch drives me insane, which is why I hardly do anymore.

Yasumi

Banned
Sorry for the lack of detail on the Amazon reviews guys. I skimmed some of the more negative reviews and typed that up just before I went to bed for the night, so I tried to keep it brief. Maybe it turned out a little too brief.

Thanks for the more thorough details.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yes.
Do you think that if the game had been released in november instead after christmas could have reach to higher sales thanks to Chrismas boost?

I've always thought that the japanese release date was a bad move. Nintendo games always sell better during christmas, not after.

I doubt there would be a big difference. Maybe it would sell 50-100k more.

zeromcd73

Youkai Watch is at it again! Shueisha are printing almost double the amounts of Monthly Corocoro Comic next month thanks to the popularity of Youkai Watch.

Because a free Youkai medal is included in every copy purchased they are expecting sales to increase greatly, thus increasing its usual circulation from 595,000 too 1,000,000 for the August issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was looking at Gematsu.com and the article about the latest Famitsu scores, and i see "Enkeltbillet (PSP) &#8211; 8/8/8/7 [31/40]". Are there any other japanese games with norwegian/danish titles? Its the first one i've seen at least (Enkeltbillet mean "single ticket" (as in a train, fly, bus, concert etc. type of ticket for one person)).

Parakeetman

One funny thing that my coworker mentioned is that a lot of the comments in the amazon thread are from folks who obviously only played the demo.

Though at the same time he does agree that the whole focus on Nueko and the constantly "vanishing" gods is irritating which Ill agree with also. Nothing worse than finally freeing a god have them return to heaven only to return to earth again a few months later leaving ones list pretty empty most of the time. D:

Asides from those things for the most part the game still is enjoyable, but some of the decisions that were made which changes how the game works compared to the first one is what he also sees as a problem which is pissing folks off. That and he mentions that a lot of the twitter dogpiling is by folks that have not even bought the game.

Road

Last update on Frozen... =P

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2040093/full/

Biggest first week ever for a DVD/BR:

1. Frozen - 1,553,000 (1,514,000 2D + 39,000 3D)
2. Spirited Away - 1,406,000
3. Finding Nemo - 945,000

And best selling Blu-Ray ever as well (which already was just with its first day).

Too bad for Sony they only have a PS4 with a Frozen spit probably limited to 2000 units.

Looking forward to the 3DS game this holiday season: Disney Magical World: Frozen Edition.

Takao

Banned
Gametracking site Exophase shows Corpse Party Blood Drive for PS4

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860062

new ps4 game

I think that's one of those weird trophy mistakes. I looked up the publisher's other multi-platform PlayStation games and they all have separate lists.

Of course it could happen but given Corpse Party is a series that topped out at ~25k on PSP, I can see a late port on PS4 struggling to hit even five digits.

Gametracking site Exophase shows Corpse Party Blood Drive for PS4

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860062

new ps4 game

I am pleasantly surprised if true.

Last update on Frozen... =P

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2040093/full/

Biggest first week ever for a DVD/BR:

1. Frozen - 1,553,000 (1,514,000 2D + 39,000 3D)
2. Spirited Away - 1,406,000
3. Finding Nemo - 945,000

And best selling Blu-Ray ever as well (which already was just with its first day).

Too bad for Sony they only have a PS4 with a Frozen spit probably limited to 2000 units.

Looking forward to the 3DS game this holiday season: Disney Magical World: Frozen Edition.

Why is Frozen so massive in Japan? Did Japan like Tangled as much?

L~A

Is there any particular reason?

I heard you could get a super rare Youkai Watch medal with every item Frozen-related.

No seriously, got no idea. I just know Japanese people love everything Disney, for some reason.

By the way, can someone please tell Famitsu that Bungie's new game is called Destiny... and not Destiniy? :p

hiska-kun

I heard you could get a super rare Youkai Watch medal with every item Frozen-related.

No seriously, got no idea. I just know Japanese people love everything Disney, for some reason.

By the way, can someone please tell Famitsu that Bungie's new game is called Destiny... and not Destiniy? :p

Talking about Destiny, it seems it could be quite big for a western game in Japan.
Info coming from retailer's blogs.

Bruno MB

Japanese sales will be up soon, things to look forward to:

- Youkai Watch 2 second week
- Oreshika: Tainted Bloodline (100,000 opening?)
- Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (will the decline continue?)
- Wii Sports Club (let's see if it manages to bomb even harder than Wii Fit U)
- 3DS and PS Vita hardware

Here are my predictions:

[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 280.000
[PSV] Oreshika: Tainted Bloodline - 94.000
[PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea - 52.000
[WIU] Wii Sports Club - 5.000
[3DS] Hardware - 33.000
[PSV] Hardware] - 25.000

L~A

That wouldn't surprise me, Famitsu (and 4Gamer.net) are talking about it a lot. And we've already had GTAV, a western-focused game, selling so well in Japan, too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Here are my predictions:

[3DS] Hardware - 33.000
[PSV] Hardware] - 25.000

here mine

[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 197.000
[PSV] Oreshika: Tainted Bloodline - 102.000
[PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea - 41.000
[WIU] Wii Sports Club - 4.080
[3DS] Hardware - 27.000
[PSV] Hardware] - 26.980

zeromcd73

Here are my predictions:

[3DS] Hardware - 33.000
[PSV] Hardware] - 25.000

Mine too :)

[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 260,000
[PSV] Oreshika: Tainted Bloodline - 79,000
[PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea - 35,000