• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2014 (Jul 07 - Jul 13)

SmokyDave

Holy crap, didn't notice PS4 was 5.8k

First week under 6k on Famitsu.
I find the PS4 a weird one.

On the one hand, the latest Sony console is bombing in Japan, oh no!

On the other hand, it makes no difference to anybody at all*. It's still dominating globally, and will continue to do so. Japan simply doesn't matter (for console sales) any longer.

Makes me wonder just how much effort they'll put into reviving it over there.

*except for people hoping to see a deluge of Japanese games, but those cats should just buy a Vita instead.

Bruno MB

Wii Sports - 176.880
Wii Sports Resort - 353.827
Wii Sports Club - 2.566

Wii Fit - 254.009
Wii Fit Plus - 318.755
Wii Fit U - 5.683

Opiate

I agree with those who say the PS4 is likely to pick up in Japan, but even a "pick up" might mean a 7-8M LTD at this point.

Which is fine, on its own. I am confident it will best the Wii U in the long run even if it isn't now, due to future support. But as the best selling console of the generation, it's abysmal. 8M last generation would have been a mediocre second place; now it's first place system.

Smokydave said:

On the other hand, it makes no difference to anybody at all*. It's still dominating globally, and will continue to do so. Japan simply doesn't matter (for console sales) any longer.

I'm torn on this, too. On the one hand, I agree that Japan seems to have very particular tastes that are not mirrored in other countries, which means winning their favor requires you to create products specifically for them. That makes their needs particularly difficult to accommodate.

On the other hand, I feel like console makers are sort of shrugging off a lot of lost sales at this point. People growing up and leaving consoles or gaming altogether; Japan leaving consoles; casual gamers leaving consoles. Individually none of these are fatal (although losing casual gamers is a really, really big deal), but at some point these losses add up. You rarely lose everything at once; most markets shrink by losing market segments one at a time, even if individually, none of those market segments is a huge deal on its own.

BadWolf

*except for people hoping to see a deluge of Japanese games, but those cats should just buy a Vita instead.

I'm hoping Sony starts supporting the PS4 like they did Vita in Japan in the sense that they just said screw it and started making (or collaborating) on new games aimed at the region for Vita instead of waiting on 3rd party devs to get off their asses.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I agree with those who say the PS4 is likely to pick up in Japan, but even a "pick up" might mean a 7-8M LTD at this point.

Which is fine, on its own. I am confident it will best the Wii U in the long run even if it isn't now, due to future support. But as the best selling console of the generation, it's abysmal. 8M last generation would have been a mediocre second place; now it's first place system.

I'm torn on this, too. On the one hand, I agree that Japan seems to have very particular tastes that are not mirrored in other countries, which means winning their favor requires you to create products specifically for them. That makes their needs particularly difficult to accommodate.

On the other hand, I feel like console makers are sort of shrugging off a lot of lost sales at this point. People growing up and leaving consoles or gaming altogether; Japan leaving consoles; casual gamers leaving consoles. Individually none of these are fatal (although losing casual gamers is a really, really big deal), but at some point these losses add up. You rarely lose everything at once; most markets shrink by losing market segments one at a time, even if individually, none of those market segments is a huge deal on its own.

I'm not sure how it is with others, but for myself and a few people I know (westerners), we're slowly becoming lapsed gamers now that Japan doesn't really do much in the way of console games anymore; none of us really like mobile games nor have the western console games replaced Japanese console games for us.

I'm hoping Sony starts supporting the PS4 like they did Vita in Japan in the sense that they just said screw it and started making (or collaborating) on new games aimed at the region for Vita instead of waiting on 3rd party devs to get off their asses.

I doubt it considering PS4 games take a whole lot longer and are more expensive to make. Furthermore PSV lacked third party support hence SCEJ stepping in a forward manner. The case is different with PS4 in that it has a lot of third party support but the question is when will they arrive.

PS4 sales will pick up just like PS3 when the notable games come and devs finally move on from last gen. How much they pick up and when is the interesting question.

Top Bottom