• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Oregano

Sinobi blog is saying that when pre-orders of Dragon Quest XI opened back in April, he predicted 2.3M for the 3DS version, and 1.2M for the PS4 version LTD (3.5M in total between both versions).

However, looking at the current status of pre-orders that seems unlikely.

Some reasons might be people satisfied with the smartphone version of DQ of the Stars. But he notes that there is also a considerable number of people waiting for news of the Switch version.

Woop woop, I said that might have been the case a long time ago. DQIX is both the last traditional mainline game and the most successful mainline game and DQ of the Stars is the followup to it, not DQXI.

Still say DQXI should have been a 3DS game that came out about three years ago and we should be talking about DQXII on PS4/Switch now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Woop woop, I said that might have been the case a long time ago. DQIX is both the last traditional mainline game and the most successful mainline game and DQ of the Stars is the followup to it, not DQXI.

Still say DQXI should have been a 3DS game that came out about three years ago and we should be talking about DQXII on PS4/Switch now.

SE was busy establishing DQ on smartphones the last couple years as well as making sure that the audience knew the mainseries is coming back to Playstation. DQXI was supposed to be that big Anniversary game and between the continues support of DQX, all those new spin-offs there wasnt a way that they could have dropped a mainline 3DS DQ in time.

Obv. they missed the perfect release time for a 3DS considering how much MH games Capcom was able to sell with MH4 and its follow ups...but Capcom focused on 3DS and are just now exploring consoles with MHW. SE was already doing alot with DQ on alot of systems.

I wonder if Dragon Quest can hit 4 million copies...

Monster Hunter is out of that list, only Animal Crossing, Mario 2D and Pokemon left.

Can Splatoon?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So down on both? Sounds like his expectations have slid considerably based on his pre-order knowledge.

I'll repeat my anecdotal, I don't hear of much hype for this but my friends are my age (mid twenties) and their brothers/sisters are far younger and mobile. My circle of friends don't have the nostalgia for it, and this title seems to be banking on it hard. (8-4 this week also had a segment of aloofness over DQXI.)

Probably down on 3DS mostly
PS4 version seems ready to perform really good and I can't see many ps4 owners waiting for Switch version info honestly

Oregano

SE was busy establishing DQ on smartphones the last couple years as well as making sure that the audience knew the mainseries is coming back to Playstation. DQXI was supposed to be that big Anniversary game and between the continues support of DQX, all those new spin-offs there wasnt a way that they could have dropped a mainline 3DS DQ in time.

Obv. they missed the perfect release time for a 3DS considering how much MH games Capcom was able to sell with MH4 and its follow ups...but Capcom focused on 3DS and are just now exploring consoles with MHW. SE was already doing alot with DQ on alot of systems.

Well I mean that's the whole crux of it isn't it? They spent years priming people for a PS4 DQ and then bottled it and ended up pretty much making two games anyway.

I wonder if Dragon Quest can hit 4 million copies...

Monster Hunter is out of that list, only Animal Crossing, Mario 2D and Pokemon left.

Can Splatoon?

If DQXI doesn't hit 4 million copies with all three SKUs SE has big issues.

EDIT: Just saw that TOSE mentioned they helped with Splatoon 2 and their shares rose 14.4%, that's kind of insane.

Sinobi blog is saying that when pre-orders of Dragon Quest XI opened back in April, he predicted 2.3M for the 3DS version, and 1.2M for the PS4 version LTD (3.5M in total between both versions).

Was that for the week launch or LTD ? In any case, I think only one of those two is going to be really below target.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm sure I'll get large bricks thrown at me over this, but I think releasing Dragon Quest XI without co-op was a bad idea.

Japan has also pretty steadily been becoming a multiplayer minded marketplace, and Japanese consumers usually like at least some level of online functionality if there's not full on co-op or competitive.

cw_sasuke

Well I mean that's the whole crux of it isn't it? They spent years priming people for a PS4 DQ and then bottled it and ended up pretty much making two games anyway.

Yeah...i mean i cant blame them - SE from Day 1 to make sure that there big games on PS4 would sell well 2-3 years....between KH, DQ and FF they really put out everything possible on Switch...and overall that was the best approach.

But the PS4 isnt a Psone, PS2 or DS so with a mainstream game ala DQ in a portable/mobile world there never had a chance to sell that many copies.

I'm sure I'll get large bricks thrown at me over this, but I think releasing Dragon Quest XI without co-op was a bad idea.

Japan has also pretty steadily been becoming a multiplayer minded marketplace, and usually like at least some level of online functionality if there's not full on co-op or competitive.

After Monster Hunter, DQIX, Splatoon, Monster Strike and other popular mobile games ala PaD incorporating coop mechanics...yeah DQXI not having any type of coop play was a surprising to me.

But since their goal really was to recreate that DQ8 type of experience on a system like PS4 i get how we ended with DQXI. Who knows...i dont see it happening but some type of coop mode could be a additional selling point of the Switch release next year, that could as well be added to the other versions post release.

We also cant forget that they DQX is hitting PS4/Switch this year as well and DQ Heroes offers that type of coop gameplay as well. Its funny how the initial DQIX coop action rpg type of game might have been the perfect release for this current era heh.

hiska-kun

YSO will give first week predictions for Dragon Quest XI tonight and we'll get a better idea.
As we are suspecting, the 3DS will probably be the one selling less than expected, while PS4 should be 800k FW 1.2M LTD, so according to expectations.

jonno394

YSO will give first week predictions for Dragon Quest XI tonight and we'll get a better idea.
As we are suspecting, the 3DS will probably be the one selling less than expected, while PS4 should be 800k FW 1.2M LTD, so according to expectations.

I'm equally as interested to see what their predictions for Week 2 Splatoon sales are. Week 1 potentially having such a high attach rate will mean there's little room for it to grow as it'll be tied to hardware.

Eolz

Japan has also pretty steadily been becoming a multiplayer minded marketplace, and Japanese consumers usually like at least some level of online functionality if there's not full on co-op or competitive.

I'll throw small bricks at you.
Although I think that taking this much time to port DQX to PS4 (and Switch) was a bad idea.
Still waiting for DQB2 with coop too...

Oregano

I'll throw small bricks at you.
Although I think that taking this much time to port DQX to PS4 (and Switch) was a bad idea.
Still waiting for DQB2 with coop too...

Well with DQB2 they need to decide whether they still want a Vita SKU and if not are they happy to be PS4-exclusive, If the answer is no to both of those they need to do something about the engine they chose.

cw_sasuke

Well with DQB2 they need to decide whether they still want a Vita SKU and if not are they happy to be PS4-exclusive, If the answer is no to both of those they need to do something about the engine they chose.

There is no way they skip Switch with DQB2 so it wont be a PS4 exclusive anyway.
PC/PS4/Switch is what they should aim for.

Didn't previous console DQ underperformed by DQ standards ? Not sure DQVIII3DS ever reached the 1m mark, DQMJoker 3 is the least succesfull Monsters game in the series, DQHeroes 2 was a huge drop compared to 1. I mean they were successfull especially given the current market but they didn't seem to reach the usual highs DQ is known for...

CANLI

Do we have approximate numbers for splatoon 2? (at least for the 1st day)

Predicting 650000 for this week and 80.000 switch.

jonno394

There is no way they skip Switch with DQB2 so it wont be a PS4 exclusive anyway.
PC/PS4/Switch is what they should aim for.

The original DQB used Sony's Phyre engine right? Many have hypothesised that is why the original won't come to switch or elsewhere (the engine is compatible with PC though).

13ruce

Banned
Do we have approximate numbers for splatoon 2? (at least for the 1st day)

Predicting 650000 for this week and 80.000 switch.

Hoping for something insane like 750k but i am expecting 500-600k+ atleast. So a 50+% attach rate minimum.

Oregano

The original DQB used Sony's Phyre engine right? Many have hypothesised that is why the original won't come to switch or elsewhere (the engine is compatible with PC though).

There are Xbox games using PhyreEngine so I doubt that.

Right so they could probably port it to Switch but they probably went with Phyre Engine in the first place so they didn't have to worry about the engine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: DQ XI. Like others, I don't think the Switch version is to blame for any sort of lack of enthusiasm (if there is any). I agree with Nirolak that no multiplayer hurts. Should be fascinating to see.

Re: DQ XI. Like others, I don't think the Switch version is to blame for any sort of lack of enthusiasm (if there is any). I agree with Nirolak that no multiplayer hurts. Should be fascinating to see.

I think the game is just launching too late into the 3DS's life cycle where 2 years ago or even a year they could have capitalized on increased awareness and software sales. PS4 version should do alright though and I think overseas the game will do pretty decent. Especially if they launch the Switch version.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...curious how low "less than expected" is the new expectation.

Are we talking less than 2.3 million per the last page? If so, drastically less?

Like are we talking a world where PS4 does do 1.2 million and 3DS fails to manage even that or a world where 3DS does somewhere in 1.4-1.6 million or closer to 2 million but not much, if anything, beyond that?

If 3DS does around the expected numbers for PS4 version and less than PS4...that would be pretty disappointing, given the expected potential of something like DQ and the 3DS install base.

If 3DS does do about a million and a half, it is low-end DQ sales but wouldn't be so bad, except considering that this is a DQ with two drastically different versions.

If it is closer to 2 million, you're getting a DQ doing like 3 million overall, which isn't series highs but is a decent number.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hmmm...curious how low "less than expected" is the new expectation.

Are we talking less than 2.3 million per the last page? If so, drastically less?

Like are we talking a world where PS4 does do 1.2 million and 3DS fails to manage even that or a world where 3DS does somewhere in 1.4-1.6 million or closer to 2 million but not much, if anything, beyond that?

If 3DS does around the expected numbers for PS4 version and less than PS4...that would be pretty disappointing, given the expected potential of something like DQ and the 3DS install base.

If 3DS does do about a million and a half, it is low-end DQ sales but wouldn't be so bad, except considering that this is a DQ with two drastically different versions.

If it is closer to 2 million, you're getting a DQ doing like 3 million overall, which isn't series highs but is a decent number.

But would it really be bad if both did 2-2.5 millions in Japan? 3DS is on its way out and I can expect that big of a drop while PS4 could do better than that. Think that DQ should have arrived on Switch too besides the PS4 and 3DS version. Don't think it will do great numbers

Ōkami

YSO predictions are already popping up.

They're about evenly split on which version will sell the most, but the difference isn't very large.

On average they're putting both at around 1m.

MoonFrog

Ōkami;244266594 said:
YSO predictions are already popping up.

They're about evenly split on which version will sell the most, but the difference isn't very large.

Lifetime? Wow. That is atrocious for 3DS version. Hope it doesn't pan out that way.

schuelma

Ōkami;244266594 said:

That wouldn't be bad. Would be a great result if the PS4 version hit 1M first week. Seems a bit high to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's also worth noting that Square Enix advised strong caution on Dragon Quest XI's performance last fiscal call and suggested they intended to try to make it up any possible deficiencies with major bumps in mobile game revenue and maybe some DQX sub increases with tie-in events.

Similarly Dragon Quest Rivals (the new 3D mobile card game) seems to be built nigh entirely with DQXI PS4's monster models, so they're getting some reuse out of those already.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
1 million debut would be great for ps4 and disappointing for 3ds
Good for the game even if would be slightly under 9 right?

Alrus

An opening around 2m would be fine but it wouldn't show growth compared to DQ IX despite releasing on multiple platforms.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah but how does the combined install base compare to the NDS at the time

Probably similar
But show growth compared to the DS era for a Japanese game is almost impossible and it will see growth in the west
With his kind of result I would.say their strategy is paying off

Alrus

Install base were similar (around 27m for both iirc)

Probably similar
But show growth compared to the DS era for a Japanese game is almost impossible and it will see growth in the west
With his kind of result I would.say their strategy is paying off

That's awfully confident.

schuelma

An opening around 2m would be fine but it wouldn't show growth compared to DQ IX despite releasing on multiple platforms.

As with any other PS4 title, Western sales need to be part of the analysis (not saying it will necessarily do amazing, just that I assume SE has Western sales partly in mind)

Alrus

As with any other PS4 title, Western sales need to be part of the analysis (not saying it will necessarily do amazing, just that I assume SE has Western sales partly in mind)

Sure, I personally don't think DQ XI will do much better than previous mainline entries in the west. I don't see anything suggesting it will.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious if they will change anything for the Western release.

Like, IIRC, the game doesn't have voice acting and instead has a booping noise you might associate with an indie title or an old DOS game. I think it's going to be pretty hard to market a $60 PS4 game overseas with stuff like that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Install base were similar (around 27m for both iirc)

That's awfully confident.

Doesn't seems so to me.looking at ps4 software general numbers ( including sales possible bundles and so on)
So being a million seller on PS4 in the west for this kind of game isn't that hard
On top of that you put whatever quantities an old but a still active 3ds can generate and you are over the 1 million sales 9 had in the west

All of this without counting switch version (and probably it is better to not count it right now considering how far it is and how up in the air it is)

Oregano

My/the bigger question is where do they go from here? They had to make two entirely separate games for DQXI, is that going to be viable for the future?

Keeping in mind the gap between DQ releases at the earliest you're looking at a time where Switch is fading and PS5 is on the market. Is it viable to make separate Switch and PS5 versions? Are they going to making a Switch level game and port it up to PS5? Considering they had to back away from PS4 exclusivity would they dare go PS5 only?

Western sales might blow everything away and give the franchise a new lease of life but DQXI could easily be the last traditional DQ at this level.(nevermind how old everyone is getting).

Like, IIRC, the game doesn't have voice acting and instead has a booping noise you might associate with an indie title or an old DOS game. I think it's going to be pretty hard to market a $60 PS4 game overseas with stuff like that.

DQVIII level changes at least if they actually want growth.

EDIT:
Doesn't seems so to me.looking at ps4 software general numbers ( including sales possible bundles and so on)
So being a million seller on PS4 in the west for this kind of game isn't that hard
On top of that you put whatever quantities an old but a still active 3ds can generate and you are over the 1 million sales 9 had in the west

All of this without counting switch version (and probably it is better to not count it right now considering how far it is and how up in the air it is)

I wouldn't assume the 3DS version is getting localised. SE aren't even willing to localise DQVIII or DQH1&2 on Nintendo systems.

It will come down to whether Nintendo wants to pick up publishing it.

Sure, I personally don't think DQ XI will do much better than previous mainline entries in the west. I don't see anything suggesting it will.

I think it depends on review scores. Back in the PS1/PS2 era JRPGs were so plentiful that it was easy for a good game to get buried and forgotten about in the west. But there's alot less physical releases now that stuff like Nioh, Persona, and even Nier is able to succeed if reviews are good enough.

If it gets an 85+ metacritic score people aren't going to ignore it.

Ōkami

Most predictions are in.

Average puts PS4 version over the 3DS one, by less than 50k, but still. Average for Splatoon 2 is below 150k.

Top Bottom