• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2011 (Jul 18 - Jul 24)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Chris1964 said:
If it had Mario Kart it would hit 200k but with a low profile Pokemon spinoff as the "leading" title I doubt it will go to 6 digits unless the price drop has a bigger than expected effect.

Either way if it does big numbers Famitsu will report it from Monday.

Edit: amazon opened preorders for the new priced models. They were very low yesterday but they are rising now.

Flare Red: 76 -> 9
Aqua Blue: 235 -> 47
Cosmo Black: 300 -> 53

Updated!
I smell really 100k for the first week,and even for the second because there should be some Holiday,if I remember correctly.

Kagari said:
Budget version of FFXIII super bomba?

Was it supposed to chart this week?

Not surprising since the used price is much, much lower than the budget price and the new game doesn't add content.

BKK

No reason to buy DSi now either, not when 3DS does everything DSi does and more for the same price. I expect most DSi LL purchasers will now choose to buy a 3DS instead of the more expensive DSi LL too.

Three weeks demand of 3DS+DSi at the old prices would be around 100k already, with increased demand from the massive price cut I expect more like 200k.

BKK said:
No reason to buy DSi now either, not when 3DS does everything DSi does and more for the same price. I expect most DSi LL purchasers will now choose to buy a 3DS instead of the more expensive DSi LL too.

Three weeks demand of 3DS+DSi at the old prices would be around 100k already, with increased demand from the massive price cut I expect more like 200k.

Can we expect to see at least 5-6k going from DS to 3DS weekly?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
My opinion didn't change and won't change until I'm proven wrong.

Software>price

Even if it goes over 100k August and September release schedule is emptier than Wii's. It won't last for long. Weekly baseline can rise 10-20k and goes somewhere to 40-50k but that's it. There aren't many who buy a gaming console from August in antipation of November and December titles.

Japan wasn't the main reason of price drop after all, it did respectable there comparing to other territories where software and hardware share were pathetic.

Chris1964 said:

Software>price

Even if it goes over 100k August and September release schedule is emptier than Wii's. It won't last for long. Weekly baseline can rise 10-20k and goes somewhere to 40-50k but that's it. There aren't many who buy a gaming console from August in antipation of November and December titles.

Japan wasn't the main reason of price drop after all, it did respectable there comparing to other territories where software and hardware share were pathetic.

But you have to consider that already released software is becoming more appealing with this new price scheme. Maybe Zelda, Layton and Nintendogs+Cats are not a reason to buy a 25.000yen system, but they are for a way cheaper system. 3DS line-up is fine so far, with a lot of genres and good games (Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Samurai Warriors, Star Fox, One Piece, Resident Evil) and this new price might persuade people to buy the console considering also these, not just the games we'll see during the holiday season.

Mpl90

Let's update

Flare Red: 9 -> 8
Aqua Blue: 47-> 41
Cosmo Black: 53 -> 45

And Flare Red is already sold out.
Uh oh.

Spiegel

Amazon rankings making a comeback.

Awesome.

Chris1964 said:

Well, maybe it wasn't the main reason but Japan surely got the biggest price drop.

Mpl90

Spiegel said:

Awesome.

Well,they can be used to see certain trends and, if correctly understood, they can give us a good picture of the situation about games, consoles...
But it is not the only instrument for the interpretation of the situation in Japan

Cygnus X-1

allan-bh said:
I'm curious to see 3DS sales in the price drop week.

It's almost a relaunch. It's crazy to think in sales of 100k+ ?

No, it's more or less what I'm expecting. It would be anyway nice to have a complete schedule of 3DS games till, let's say, end september.

BurntPork said:
Why is that "Uh-oh"?

I was asking myself the same thing.

Better have both 3DS and Vita succeed than having to play with crappy, shitty iOS games forever.

Chris1964 said:

Software>price

Agreed. And this answer my question. Though it would be nice from Nintendo to correct this problem while anticipating some additional games. I'm referring myself to some third party games that got pushed back because of 3DS low sales.

Wouldn't' it be smart to have such games around august and september now?

milanbaros

Member?
Spiegel said:

Awesome.

Well, maybe it wasn't the main reason but Japan surely got the biggest price drop.

Something to do with the strong yen maybe? As in they weren't able to cut it as much as they would like elsewhere.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Cygnus X-1 said:
No, it's more or less what I'm expecting. It would be anyway nice to have a complete schedule of 3DS games till, let's say, end september.
It's pretty bad.

08.04.11 NAZO WAKU YAKATA (CAPCOM)
08.11.11 POKÉMON RUMBLE BLAST (THE POKÉMON COMPANY)
08.11.11 SURPRISE! POPS OUT! MAGIC PEN (GAE)
09.01.11 SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: DEVIL SURVIVOR OVERCLOCKED (ATLUS)
09.08.11 CRUSH3D (SEGA)
09.22.11 FROGGER 3D (KONAMI)
09.22.11 SENRAN KAGURA (MMV)

These are marked for Summer releases:

SUMMER.11 AZITO 3D (HAMSTER)
SUMMER.11 EARTHPEDIA (GAKKEN)
SUMMER.11 KARASU 3D (MILESTONE)
SUMMER.11 MINNA DE AUTO RACE (?)
SUMMER.11 PICHILEMON IDOL DEBUT (CULTURE BRAIN)
SUMMER.11 TETRIS AXIS (HUDSON)

Yes, not so much until Q4.
Anyway, Pokémon could put medium numbers, and Kagura as well, and I expect to see Zelda continue to perform as good as the last weeks.

Cygnus X-1

Brazil said:
It's pretty bad.

08.04.11 NAZO WAKU YAKATA (CAPCOM)
08.11.11 POKÉMON RUMBLE BLAST (THE POKÉMON COMPANY)
08.11.11 SURPRISE! POPS OUT! MAGIC PEN (GAE)
09.01.11 SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: DEVIL SURVIVOR OVERCLOCKED (ATLUS)
09.08.11 CRUSH3D (SEGA)
09.22.11 FROGGER 3D (KONAMI)
09.22.11 SENRAN KAGURA (MMV)

These are marked for Summer releases:

SUMMER.11 AZITO 3D (HAMSTER)
SUMMER.11 EARTHPEDIA (GAKKEN)
SUMMER.11 KARASU 3D (MILESTONE)
SUMMER.11 MINNA DE AUTO RACE (?)
SUMMER.11 PICHILEMON IDOL DEBUT (CULTURE BRAIN)
SUMMER.11 TETRIS AXIS (HUDSON)

Yes it is. It's up to Nintendo to have meeting with third parties now and make them bring most games they pushed back during last months. There is little time, but I would try to play that card at this point.

Mpl90

Cygnus X-1 said:
I was asking myself the same thing.

Better have both 3DS and Vita succeed than having to play with crappy, shitty iOS games forever.

My Uh-Oh was of pleasant surprise, because I didn't expect to see sold out so quickly! And I want to see both of thrm succeeding!
I'm sorry for the confusion XD

Spiegel

milanbaros said:
Something to do with the strong yen maybe? As in they weren't able to cut it as much as they would like elsewhere.

Well, the new price range is pretty interesting. It's not in Nintendo's best interest for the psp to continue getting games and having its lifespan lengthened and now the 3DS is the cheaper of the two.

The psp has been a real threat in Japan for months and I think Nintendo have seen that they don't have the games (for now) to challenge it, so they are undercutting the PSP price. That's why they've done an extra effort in Japan, helped by the strong yen.

BurntPork

Banned
Spiegel said:
Well, the new price range is pretty interesting. It's not in Nintendo's best interest for the psp to continue getting games and having its lifespan lengthened and now the 3DS is the cheaper of the two.

The psp has been a real threat in Japan for months and I think Nintendo have seen that they don't have the games (for now) to challenge it, so they are undercutting the PSP price. That's why they've done an extra effort in Japan, helped by the strong yen.
Wait. The 3DS is cheaper than the PSP in Japan? And two have been neck-and-neck since the 3DS launched? Holy shit.

Yeshua

BurntPork said:
Wait. The 3DS is cheaper than the PSP in Japan? And two have been neck-and-neck since the 3DS launched? Holy shit.
3DS WILL be cheaper than the PSP with the price cut.

I don't know how I missed the Famitsu Top 1000 when it was new, but I've got it into the Garaph database now. Still out of date on the weeklies.

Of the 1000 games, number not previously in the Garaph database: 321.
Number of those which are 2009 releases which failed to make the 2009 Top 1000: 25. All November or December releases.
New worst-known selling game of 2009: "Honki de Manabu: LEC de Goukakuru - DS Koumuinshiken Suumato Shori" with 482 copies that year. However, it seems to have been a consistent seller--at least that's the picture a mere two data points give.
4789+-+Honki+de+Manabu%3A+LEC+de+Goukakuru+-+DS+Koumuinshiken+Suumato+Shori+-+DS

Spiegel said:
Nintendo needs to wrap up JP support, largely because it's the only region that puts major backing into handheld development. Support in Japan matters most worldwide, like it used to with home consoles.

BurntPork

Banned
Yeshua said:
3DS WILL be cheaper than the PSP with the price cut.
That's what I meant. I thought the PSP was 13,000 yen. The 3DS is going to CHEAPER than it, though? If that's the case, I don't think the PSP will outsell the 3DS in Japan ever again after the drop.

duckroll

BurntPork said:
That's what I meant. I thought the PSP was 13,000 yen. The 3DS is going to CHEAPER than it, though? If that's the case, I don't think the PSP will outsell the 3DS in Japan ever again after the drop.

The PSP is 16,800yen for the basic set, and 17,800yen for the value pack.

BurntPork

Banned
duckroll said:
The PSP is 16,800yen for the basic set, and 17,800yen for the value pack.
Wow. I'm predicting a price cut, especially if the Vita supply is as low as expected. Nintendo really went for the kill in Japan.

Mpl90 said:
Let's update

Uh oh.

Just to damper the enthusiasm a bit:

Nikkei is reporting massive massive drops in the used sales market(prices averaging around 13800yen~), trade in prices as low as 8,000. Which means people really don't find any particular value in the 20 FREE games promotion.
3dsprice.jpg

Erethian

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Nikkei is reporting massive massive drops in the used sales market(prices averaging around 13800yen~), trade in prices as low as 8,000. Which means people really don't find any particular value in the 20 FREE games promotion.
3dsprice.jpg

I don't think that was ever intended to have a marked impact on sales prior to the price cut.

Especially when digital download titles, in this case virtual console ones, aren't the sort of thing that resonate in the Japanese market.

electroplankton said:
But you have to consider that already released software is becoming more appealing with this new price scheme. Maybe Zelda, Layton and Nintendogs+Cats are not a reason to buy a 25.000yen system, but they are for a way cheaper system. 3DS line-up is fine so far, with a lot of genres and good games (Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Samurai Warriors, Star Fox, One Piece, Resident Evil) and this new price might persuade people to buy the console considering also these, not just the games we'll see during the holiday season.
This almost never happens. In fact take a look at the GameCube era for a good comparison. Everyone on this board was saying the same thing- "now that the price is lower everyone will go back and buy x game". Well it didn't happen. Software has always been the catalyst that drives hardware. Look at Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 64, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Without this kind of software the 3DS price drop will not have a long lasting effect.

BurntPork

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

3dsprice.jpg
That might be because the same 3DS can't be registered to two different Club Nintendo accounts afaik. Buying used to get in on the promotion might be flipping a coin. The scratching issue also offers incentive to buy new to get a full warranty. Then there's what Erethian said.

And "just to damper the enthusiasm a bit?" Really? This is what my brain reads that as:

20110128203738!Trollface.png

Seriously, you brought up a good point, but that line was just pathetic.

evilromero said:
This almost never happens. In fact take a look at the GameCube era for a good comparison. Everyone on this board was saying the same thing- "now that the price is lower everyone will go back and buy x game". Well it didn't happen. Software has always been the catalyst that drives hardware. Look at Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 64, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Without this kind of software the 3DS price drop will not have a long lasting effect.
The difference is that the GCN was never overpriced. The PS2's domination was the main cause of the GCN selling poorly. The 3DS this holiday season will have the software it needs to compete.

Erethian said:
I don't think that was ever intended to have a marked impact on sales prior to the price cut.

Especially when digital download titles, in this case virtual console ones, aren't the sort of thing that resonate in the Japanese market.

I didn't expect it to have an impact on sales of new games, I was just simply noting the fact that people don't seem to really care about it, otherwise you'd expect a higher price. Aka 13,500yen + 20 free games is a rather super super deal(the casual gamers the price cut is aimed at probably aren't aware of the value though).

BurntPork said:
And "just to damper the enthusiasm a bit?" Really? This is what my brain reads that as:

20110128203738!Trollface.png

Seriously, you brought up a good point, but that line was just pathetic.

Anyone that has been in media create threads for the past few months knows that I've been the biggest supporter of 3ds sales-wise potential, I still can't imagine less then 100,000 sales price cut week. The picture was more just me wishing I could have saved a bit of money.

BurntPork said:
That might be because the same 3DS can't be registered to two different Club Nintendo accounts afaik.

Sorry, incorrect, club Nintendo account has utterly nothing to do with the promotion, what you download is tied to the system, you are no way required to connect your club nintendo account to the e-shop(in-regards to the promotion and otherwise)

onken

I was round a few places yesterday and didn't see any price movement on 3DS. Kinda tempted to pick up a second hand red now if I see it cheap, get the free games too.

On the plus side managed to get my pre-order in for the Team ICO box set :D

BurntPork

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I didn't expect it to have an impact on sales of new games, I was just simply noting the fact that people don't seem to really care about it, otherwise you'd expect a higher price. Aka 13,500yen + 20 free games is a rather super super deal(the casual gamers the price cut is aimed at probably aren't aware of the value though).

Anyone that has been in media create threads for the past few months knows that I've been the biggest supporter of 3ds sales-wise potential, I still can't imagine less then 100,000 sales price cut week. The picture was more just me wishing I could have saved a bit of money.

Sorry, incorrect, club Nintendo account has utterly nothing to do with the promotion, what you download is tied to the system, you are no way required to connect your club nintendo account to the e-shop(in-regards to the promotion and otherwise)
Ah, okay. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Eh, I'm realistically expecting 70,000 that week, 50,000 the week after that, and then stabilizing at around 35,000 per week up until November. Maybe I'm being a bit too conservative, though. Actually, I hope I'm being conservative. Vita has a great shot at utterly obliterating 3DS in Japan, so if this price cut doesn't work, things are looking pretty bad.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
lunchwithyuzo said:
Nintendo needs to wrap up JP support, largely because it's the only region that puts major backing into handheld development. Support in Japan matters most worldwide, like it used to with home consoles.
This.

Mpl90

I've seen the news of slashed prices of used units on Andriasang...well, it's normal what is happening, and the 20 games are not a great incentive to buy the console before the Price Kill just as expected.
Numbers of this week will not be so influenced,because the news came up for the mass audience on Friday, but it will do something:I would have expected a 28-30k week without the cut due to the complete absence of new games, but now I foresee something like 23-25k.
Next week, instead... oh God, lower than the Wii. 15-16k :lol
Now, back to Amazon rankings

Flare Red: 8 -> 20 ( sold out )
Aqua Blue: 41 -> 30
Cosmo Black: 45 -> 35

And just to not say things only on 3DS : Epic Mickey is 13th, over MHP3rd HD Version... LOLWUT
Kirby 12th, the SEGA soccer game for PSP 4th, and this could do very good numbers.
Rhythm Heaven is always fifth, it just doesn't move O_O

Mpl90 said:
Updated!
I smell really 100k for the first week,and even for the second because there should be some Holiday,if I remember correctly.

Mpl90 said:
Let's update

Uh oh.

Mpl90 said:
Now, back to Amazon rankings

Flare Red: 8 -> 20 ( sold out )
Aqua Blue: 41 -> 30
Cosmo Black: 45 -> 35

And just to not say things only on 3DS : Epic Mickey is 13th, over MHP3rd HD Version... LOLWUT
Kirby 12th, the SEGA soccer game for PSP 4th, and this could do very good numbers.
Rhythm Heaven is always fifth, it just doesn't move O_O

You sure do love your amazon rankings.

Mpl90

AranhaHunter said:
You sure do love your amazon rankings.

And you must see my consideration of Comgnet charts!

The rankings as of July 30, 2011 closed

[PS3] Tales of export Syria - 472pt
[PSP] Toriko Gourmet Survival! - 221pt
[PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - 134pt
[PSP] Limited Edition Black ★ Rock Shooter THE GAME "White Premium BOX" - 114pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 106pt
[PS3] Dark Soul - 103pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 98Pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Wars 2 - 83pt
[PSP] G Airu Village Diary warm Monhan - 83pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII Verusasu - 82Pt
[NDS] All Kamen Rider Generation - 74pt
[PSP] J. LEAGUE Make Pro Soccer Club! 7 EURO PLUS - 59pt
[3DS] Pokemon Super Scramble - 57pt
[PS3] Super Dimensional mk2 Nu Geimu Constitution Neptun (Limited Edition) - 57pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest NES and SNES I · II · III Final Fantasy Anniversary 25 - 52pt
[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero Expressions - 46pt
[NDS] Atsumete! Kirby - 45pt
[PS3] hen I started de Fuca and Desuko Disgaea Disgaea 4. Append Edition limited quantity - 38pt
[PS3] Limited Box Shadow of the Colossus ICO / Wanda - 36pt
[PSP] WRS Charm Limited Edition Black ★ Rock Shooter BOX THE GAME - 34pt

Comparisons

[PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - 134pt
[PSP] G Airu Village Diary warm Monhan - 83pt

[Wii] Monster Hunter G Starter Pack - 90pt
[Wii] Monster Hunter G (Individual Software version) - < 38pt
[Wii] Monster Hunter 3 Classic Controller PRO Pack (Black) - 227pt
[Wii] Monster Hunter 3 - 187pt
[Wii] Monster Hunter 3 PRO Pack Classic Controller (White) - 164pt
[PSP] Airu Village Diary warm Monhan - 127pt

[NDS] Atsumete! Kirby - 45pt

[Wii] Kirby of the yarn - 69pt
[NDS] Kirby Sanjo Dorotche team - 77pt
[NDS] Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe Star - 206pt

Takao

Banned
Dat google translate

"Tales of Export Syria" - a reference to the problems in Syria in a JRPG?!!
"Final Fantasy Zero Expressions"

evilromero said:

One thing holds for sure: launch titles are more likely to sell over time than usuale. Tekken Tag did not sell 4 million or so in its first months, as Tekken 5 did, but in a wider span of time, and this is true for a lot of games. It's possible to check that tie ratio of launch titles in Japan is always very small, on DS as well.

Now that 3DS will be cheaper, games like Nintendogs and Layton might become affordable to the target Nintendo was aimed to; we have seen these two games rising when Ocarina was released and Flare Red as well, so there are some chances that it will happen the same following the price cut.

Mpl90

Takao said:
Dat google translate

"Tales of Export Syria" - a reference to the problems in Syria in a JRPG?!!
"Final Fantasy Zero Expressions"

And what about

[Wii] Dragon Quest NES and SNES I · II · III Final Fantasy Anniversary 25 - 52pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 106pt

:lol :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2011.08.04}

[3DS] Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni (Capcom) | ¥4.800 |

[NDS] Kirby: Mass Attack (Nintendo) | ¥3.800 |
[NDS] All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation (Bandai Namco) | ¥5.040 |
[NDS] Akogare Girls Collection: Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari (Columbia Music Entertainment) | ¥5.040 |
[NDS] Cars 2: The Video Game (Disney Interactive) | ¥5.040 |
[NDS] Chrono Trigger (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) | ¥2.940 |

[PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro + (Sega) | ¥6.279 |
[PSP] Half-Minute Hero Second (Marvelous Entertainment) | ¥4.980 |
[PSP] Elminage III: Ankoku no Shito to Yaiyou no Kyuuden (Starfish SD) | ¥6.090 |
[PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival (Bandai Namco) | ¥5.229 |
[PSP] StormLover Karen!! # (D3 Publisher) | ¥5.040 |
[PSP] StormLover Karen!! [Limited Box] (D3 Publisher) | ¥7.140 |
[PSP] Ginsei Shogi Portable: Fuuun Ryuuko Raiden (SilverStar) | ¥5.040 |
[PSP] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki with Power-Up Kit (Koei Tecmo) | ¥6.090 |
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Special (PSP the Best) (Koei Tecmo) | ¥2.940 |
[PSP] Dead or Alive: Paradise (PSP the Best) (Koei Tecmo) | ¥2.940 |

[WII] Epic Mickey (Nintendo) | ¥5.800 |
[WII] Family Fishing # (Bandai Namco) | ¥5.040 |
[WII] Family Fishing [with SaoKon] (Bandai Namco) | ¥6.090 |

[PS3] Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - Special Edition (Ubisoft) | ¥3.990 |
[PS3] Ar Tonelico 3: The Girl's Song that Pulls the Trigger of World's Demise (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco) | ¥3.800 |

[360] Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - Special Edition (Platinum Collection) (Ubisoft) | ¥3.990 |
[360] Tropico 3 (Platinum Collection) (Russel) | ¥2.940 |

[PS2] Sengoku Hime: Senran ni Mau Otometachi (SystemSoft Selection) (SystemSoft Alpha) | ¥3.990 |

BKK

Chris1964 said:

[PS3] Ar Tonelico 3: The Girl's Song that Pulls the Trigger of World's Demise (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco) | ¥3.800 |

AKA "Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel" in the West.

Cygnus X-1

Chris1964 said:

[NDS] Kirby: Mass Attack (Nintendo) | ¥3.800 |

Now the first thing that comes to my mind is: why in the world is Nintendo letting Kirby still coming out on DS instead of 3DS? Yeah, userbase-reasons and so on. But 3DS needs games. And Kirby is very popular in Japan and would have been a great addition.

Another bad strategy move.

gerg

Cygnus X-1 said:
Now the first thing that comes to my mind is: why in the world is Nintendo letting Kirby still coming out on DS instead of 3DS? Yeah, userbase-reasons and so on. But 3DS needs games. And Kirby is very popular in Japan and would have been a great addition.

Because they probably started production on this game long before the 3DS was actually released, and thus long before its sales were a disappointment?

ksamedi

Cygnus X-1 said:

I don't think so. The DS userbase is huge and Nintendo needs a steady cash flow. To add to that, there really isn't that much incentive left to buy a DS anyway after the 3DS price drop.

test_account

XP-39C²
gerg said:
Because they probably started production on this game long before the 3DS was actually released, and thus long before its sales were a disappointment?
Could be, but i wonder how hard it would be to move development over to the 3DS. They probably knew like at least a year before the 3DS came out.

But the 3DS can play DS games as well, so no big problem :)

ksamedi said:
I don't think so. The DS userbase is huge and Nintendo needs a steady cash flow. To add to that, there really isn't that much incentive left to buy a DS anyway after the 3DS price drop.
I wonder how the DS sales will be after the 3DS pricedrop.

Top Bottom