• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2011 (Jul 18 - Jul 24)

Truth101

Banned
FullMetal said:
The DS line is still performing well, I don't understand why the 3DS is released this early outside of Japan.

To gain marketshare before the release of the Vita.

Japan is the most important market for hand-held gaming, when it comes to software and development. So having a high user-base in Japan is extremely important.

BadWolf said:
I know, but you can't get those free games after the price drop which is why I said what I said.

The games will be available eventually to non-ambassadors, just not for free.

DGRE

Banned
BadWolf said:
I know, but you can't get those free games after the price drop which is why I said what I said.
But the games weren't an effort to get people to buy before the pricedrop. I care about the games as someone who bought the system on day one. I am the one who those games are targeted at.

So it just seems like an odd comment.

Spiegel said:
PSP 36,659
PS3 20,704
Wii 18,232
3DS 16,415
DSi LL 5,267
DSi 4,625
Xbox 360 1,616
PS2 1,594
DS Lite 138
PSP go 7

I'm feeling bad for the 16k 3DS buyer, they don't know about the big pricedrop.

Lesiroth said:
Oh, the price drop isn't in effect yet?
Nope, like someone said before me the announcement was on July 28th and the price drop happens August 11th.
These sales cover the week from July 25 to July 31.

Graphics Horse said:
I guess most of the sales came from before the announcement half way through the week.
Then we should feel even worse for them. :p

BurntPork

Banned
Spiegel said:
PSP 36,659
PS3 20,704
Wii 18,232
3DS 16,415
DSi LL 5,267
DSi 4,625
Xbox 360 1,616
PS2 1,594
DS Lite 138
PSP go 7
DSi sales weren't affected at all. That means that it's unlikely that the price cut really helped. :( I guess it's up to Mario Kart...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Spiegel said:
big_SevenSamurai.jpg

Truth101

Banned
BurntPork said:
DSi sales weren't affected at all. That means that it's unlikely that the price cut really helped. :( I guess it's up to Mario Kart...

Price-Drop was announced Sunday in Japan, so it wouldn't have affected sales for last weeks Media Create. I didn't think of that when I commented on DSi sales.

Takao said:
There are platforms that have reported Media Create sales of 0 units.

Just say 360, haha.

BurntPork

Banned
Truth101 said:
Price-Drop was announced Sunday in Japan, so it wouldn't have affected sales for last weeks Media Create. I didn't think of that when I commented on DSi sales.
That's even worse. It means that the sales dropped off for no reason.

I wonder if Sony would have the balls to make a press release about beating the 3DS by 20k this week. lol

Where did that "solid, if not spectacular" thing come form anyway?

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that the 10,000 yen pricedrop was announced on Thursday as well. Maybe not officially in Japan though, but i'm pretty sure that several of japanese websites/news outlet picked up on those news before Sunday.

Truth101

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Price drop was annouced thursday, Devil Survivor 2 had a better first week then the first one(perhaps the last 3rd party ds 100k?

It was, my mistake then. For some reason I thought it was Saturday night. Thanks for the correction.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Price drop was annouced thursday, Devil Survivor 2 had a better first week then the first one(perhaps the last 3rd party ds 100k?

オール仮面ライダー ライダージェネレーション maybe?

Anyway, 3DS was highly affected by the price drop announcement that it had occured on Thursday; sales are usually higher during the weekend so the fact hurt more this part of the week.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
noobie said:
But how small Korean Market is in comparison to Japan, any idea or figures from past?
In PS2 days, HW was a bit over 10% (I think PS2 ended up around 2.5M total, the others were completely irrelevant). The SW was dramatically worse however (PS2 attach estimates I heard were as low as ~1.0).

I know handheld before hacks were doing better SW numbers, but it fell off a cliff when CFW and R4 became widespread.
Piracy aside, bulk of money is also spent online - a top 10 game could make around 50M a year, which is the kind of revenue that would easily rank as a top 10 retail release in Japan for a given year.

BurntPork said:
Before it was even announced.
Partially. Those numbers should be July 25-31. Price drop was announced July 28.
BurntPork said:
Wait, did you just shift from saying those numbers are from before it was announced, to saying they show the price cut was ineffective?
Stumpokapow said:
Hey, you found it!
BurntPork said:
Where did that "solid, if not spectacular" thing come form anyway?
An interview quote from one of the MS execs about the Japanese Xbox launch.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:

Ah, you found it! Nice. :)

Edit:
Beaten by 40 minutes. That's what I get for responding to a thread left open for a while without refreshing. :lol

Edit2:
Also the "Wii is trending up" comments, while accurate, are silly. 100% increase from trash doesn't make it good results. :p

saichi

beril said:
That's a very small drop. What are the chances it'll have as strong legs as the DS game?

high! although I'm not sure it would end up close to 1 mil (as someone mentioned earlier, if it trends like GBA/DS version, it would end up with 980K)

Before it was released, I was thinking 500K-600K would be great already.

Kid Ying said:
Wow. I'll buy it at a high price.

Specially because DS1 was my favorite rpg in this generation. I hope Atlus use localize the second installment, even with the DS dying.
Atlus US already announced the release of DS2.

Top Bottom