• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

Exile20

Did they take the console off the shelves the rest of the 5 days in week 28?

Yakuza HD
Lego City Undercover

(This is literally all the releases between now and TW101).

I hope the Wii U holds its ground until TW101, maybe these games will help:

Sniper Elite V2 - 18 July
Lego City Undercover - 25 July
Yakuza 1+2 HD Collection - 8 August
The Wonderful 101 - 24 August

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah they are what they are.

Not great, not bad.

Nintendo didn't help matters by basically going dark on the market for 6 months

I would say it's basically shifting back towards Pikmin 1's sales instead of Pikmin 2's, but they weren't majorly different overall.

It might be harder to keep up legs in the long run, but it will be a while before we can tell if that holds true.

chadboban

Didn't expect the Wii U to stay above 10,000. Not anything spectacular but better than I expected.

Also weren't there ALOT more people with DS's in Japan when BIS came out? There aren't as many people with 3DS's in Japan so I'd expect the numbers to be lower than BIS. Didn't expect them to be below 100,000 but I didn't expect it to sell better than BIS at launch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not a great start for M&L but still solid. Maybe Paper Mario portable contamination is affecting it a little?
Good second week for YWatch, considering that (if I'm not wrong) the cross-promotion (anime-manga) isn't start yet. It could see a boost once the other media will be released (not as strong as Inazuma, of course, but still...the first IE game had a worst debut if I remember correctly).
After Fantasy Life maybe L5 found another good franchise.
Even LBX (is this the old game right? not the new exclusive one, right?) is not yet dead.
Lower drop for Pikmin and Wii U than expected, but still...it's evident that the console (and consequently the games) has problems.

EDIT: Just noticed this:
12./13. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 9.366 / 834.392 (+2%)
The 1 million milestone probably is reacheable for real

crinale

They did, so more like revive it; Tomato Adventure which is M&L before M&L for the GBA.

Would ADORE a 3DS sequel with Dream Team's engine. :O

565819_6178_front.jpg

I actually liked the original Tomato Adventure :)
Surprised by the fact that it didn't get the Western release, until they made M&L from it.

kswiston

In what world are you guys living in that make Pikmin 3 numbers look bad? It sold in line with the rest of the series.

It sold in line with the first two weeks of the first entry which was a new IP with large enough legs to make it past 500k. Pikmin 3 is lagging a considerable distance behind Pikmin 2, and won't be catching up. Look at that third weekend for Pikmin 2 that Nirolak posted. The game went on to post sales over 20k for 4 additional weeks after that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pikmin 3 second-week sales are nearly identical to Pikmin 1 and 2, so
I'm no longer worried about that game. The audience from nine years ago
seems to still be there, regardless of the harshness of the Wii U
climate right now.
pikmin 3 sales won't be close to neither of the previous two games, you'd better start worrying again if you believe otherwise.

Yeah they are what they are.

Not great, not bad.

Nintendo didn't help matters by basically going dark on the market for 6 months

This is the problem. The perception of Pikmin had become the beacon of the start of the Wii U's turn around and a lot of unfair expectations were put onto Pikmin 3. Now targets are going to be aiming squarely at Wonderful 101, fair or not.

These kind of threads really need digital numbers. I bet Pikmin and Mario & Luigi have a pretty high percentage of digital sales as well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is the problem. The perception of Pikmin had become the beacon of the start of the Wii U's turn around and a lot of unfair expectations were put onto Pikmin 3. Now targets are going to be aiming squarely at Wonderful 101, fair or not.

Pikmin 3 should have been a 2008 Wii Game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I hope people aren't seriously running hopes on The Wonderful 101.

That doing well would be a real out-of-left-field event.

Chojin

Good on WiiU for crawling over to the 1 Million line. Not dropping back down to sub 10k is awesome as well.

If Mario and Luigi 4 had a poor showing and its the top selling this week that's a pretty horrible commentary on game sales in Japan right now :(

Frodo

Is Nintendo still advertising Wii U in Japan? Is there any Lego City Undercover commercials on the TV?

These kind of threads really need digital numbers. I bet Pikmin and Mario & Luigi have a pretty high percentage of digital sales as well.

True. It wouldn't hurt if Nintendo released a PR about its digital sales, would it?

Ok, maybe it would...

schuelma

Yeah unless Nintendo has a great marketing plan cooked up I don't see it.

schuelma

Is Nintendo still advertising Wii U in Japan? Is there any Lego City Undercover commercials on the TV?

Nintendo has a lot of ads out, including Lego City, but I have no clue how much they are airing. IIRC Vinnk said he wasn't seeing many before Pikmin released.

With these sales for M&L4 and NSLU, hopefully Nintendo puts to rest the silly notion of making Luigi the star.

Pikmin 3 is performing pretty badly given that last week was only 2 days. I wonder why Nintendo delayed the game so much, it would have done much better closer to launch.

Wii U's announced 'Rest of the Year' in Japan:

July:
Lego City Undercover (25th - tomorrow)

August
Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U (8th)
The Wonderful 101 (24th)

September
Sniper Elite Black List (5th)
LoZ: Wind Waker HD (26th)
Disney Epic Mickey 2 (26th)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms With Power Up Kit (26th)

October
Sonic Lost World (24th)

November
Assassin's Creed 4 (28th)

2013:
Batman Arkham Origins
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Rayman Legends

End of list.

I wonder why M&L4 didn't do as well as previous games.

I do sort of wonder if there's Luigi overload this year.

Bowser being the star of M&L3 was new and fresh (and was also on a massive DS userbase at the time). Maybe people are just Luigi'd out after Luigi's Mansion and NSLU.

NotLiquid

While chances are it not taking off at all, a lot of the current hype that's directed towards the game in western territories should be directed towards Japan. The game has the potential to be big there, they love their super sentai.

July:

August
The Wonderful 101 (24th)

September

October
Sonic Lost World (24th)

November

2013:
Batman Arkham Origins
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Rayman Legends

End of list.

Wii U launched with more games than that...

allan-bh

I hope the Wii U holds its ground until TW101, maybe these games will help:

Sniper Elite V2 - 18 July
Lego City Undercover - 25 July
Yakuza 1+2 HD Collection - 8 August
The Wonderful 101 - 24 August

No chance of Wii U hold with those games.

And I don't expected too much for W101.

July:

August
The Wonderful 101 (24th)

September

October
Sonic Lost World (24th)

November

2013:
Batman Arkham Origins
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Rayman Legends

End of list.

You're missing at least Skylanders (JP exclusive Wii U version of the original).

Hope the Fall Conference announces the goods.

Edit: DK as well.

While chances are it not taking off at all, a lot of the current hype that's directed towards the game in western territories should be directed towards Japan. The game has the potential to be big there, they love their super sentai.

Sentai is big with kids and adults who geek out about things like that, the former not really having a ton of buying power in August and the latter don't care about the Wii U.

A game that is similar in theme to, I don't know, My Little Pony but lacked its license would not set the charts on fire in America, either.

kephyr

Neo Member
01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 99.972 /

- 11.859.811 3DS

VS.

01 [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo) {2009.02.11} - 220.055 / 745.701

- 25,799,645 NDS

This is what happens when software releases are scarce. People start pinning hopes onto anything that just comes out. Believe me as a Vita lover I know.

crinale

It sold <20% of the stock in the first day and amazon.jp is selling the game with a 35% discount already (20% is the usual discount)

They do this when shipment is quite bigger than the demand.
It's been said over 400K copies are already shipped.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Those are disappointing numbers for Mario & Luigi, even if digital sales aren't included.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 99.972 /

- 11.859.811 3DS

VS.

01 [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo) {2009.02.11} - 220.055 / 745.701

- 25,799,645 NDS
No piracy on 3DS should be taken into account, but I see your point.

MrT-Tar

Wii U surpassed my expectations (which doesn't say a lot), but it's something I guess. I'm disapointed at Mario & Luigi though, I hope it has decent legs.

Reasonable hold for both Pikmin and the Wii U.
Lego City Undercover, which will be the first Lego game in Japan I believe.

How well it will end up doing is up in the air.
Lego Star Wars was released by Eidos in Japan apparently. Did 5.5K launch week, LTD ended up ~20K.

I wouldn't expect miracles from Lego City or W101.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Robotic comparison (Famitsu)

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience (Level 5) - 163.834 / 324.204 / 50,53% 16/06/11
[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience: Boost (Level 5) - 59.448 / 187.883 / 31,64% 23/11/11
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Baku Boost (Level 5) - 55.614 / 180.873 / 30,75% 05/07/12

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W (Level 5) - 84.041 / 155.877 / 53,91% 18/10/12
[PSV] Little Battlers eXperience W (Level 5) - 16.489 / 20.178 / 81,72% 18/10/12
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience W: Ultra Custom (Level 5) - 27.361 / 27.361 / 100,00% 18/07/13

Top Bottom