• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

Kurtofan

01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 99.972 /

- 11.859.811 3DS

VS.

01 [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo) {2009.02.11} - 220.055 / 745.701

- 25,799,645 NDS

Sounds about right, I'm not seeing the disappointing sales really.

No piracy on 3DS should be taken into account, but I see your point.

Piracy now exists for the 3DS.

Famitsu:

Pikmin 1:

Pikmin 2:

Pikmin 3:

For an install-base / sell-through comparison:

Pikmin 1 was released the week of 2001-10-22.

2001-10-22 - 101,299
GameCube installbase - 242,429

2001-10-29 - 26,461
GameCube installbase - 262,320

Pikmin 2 was released the week of 2004-04-26.

2004-04-26 - 161,930
GameCube installbase - 3,297,975

2004-05-03 - 30,971
GameCube installbase - 3,306,678

Pikmin 3 was released the week of 2013-07-08.

2013-07-08 - 102,188
Wii U installbase - 982,801

2013-07-15 - 30,997
Wii U installbase - 996,825

Wii U launched with more games than that...

Not in Japan, only 11 games were available at launch, and there's 14 on the list :p

You're missing at least Skylanders (JP exclusive Wii U version of the original).

Hope the Fall Conference announces the goods.

Hate to break it to you, but Skylanders came out on the 12th of July, the day before Pikmin. DK is also listed as TBC and is not confirmed or hinted to be this year in Japan. I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

Glass Rebel

01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 99.972 /

- 11.859.811 3DS

VS.

01 [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo) {2009.02.11} - 220.055 / 745.701

- 25,799,645 NDS

Would be nice to have the same for Partners in Time.

I wonder how it'll do in NA and Europe.

mclem

Wii U actually held a lot better than I expected.

I expected <10K for Wii U in Famitsu, yet it still managed to keep its hold above both the PS3 and Vita.

Hopefully the Wii U has found a new 10K baseline for the next couple of weeks.

I think that's too much to hope for, but I agree that it's held better than I feared. I think the Vita *has* found a reasonable >10k baseline level now; I don't think the Wii U has.

Not in Japan, only 11 games were available at launch, and there's 14 on the list :p

Hate to break it to you, but Skylanders came out on the 12th of July, the day before Pikmin. DK is also listed as TBC and is not confirmed or hinted to be this year in Japan. I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

3 more games than launch, I can finally see the momentum Iwata was talking about.

So Skylanders didn't even sell 4,155 units?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if we'll see a decent bump for Vita next week... And I wonder how Dragon's Crown will fare on the Vita since Muramasa Rebirth did well.

Alrus

Unless it has massive legs, LBX W 3DS will be a disappointment. I guess Baku Boost's success was just luck.

Nice hold of Youkai Watch, when is the anime starting?

And first 3DS misstep in a while, hope M&L has decent legs, it's a lovely title.

allan-bh

Double install base doesn't mean double sales of a specific title.

I still consider Mario & Luigi 99k debut disappointing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
3 more games than launch, I can finally see the momentum Iwata was talking about.

So Skylanders didn't even sell 4,155 units?

Right now the North America lineup is 10x better than Japan. Pretty amazing.

Robotic comparison (Famitsu)

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience (Level 5) - 163.834 / 324.204 / 50,53% 16/06/11
[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience: Boost (Level 5) - 59.448 / 187.883 / 31,64% 23/11/11
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Baku Boost (Level 5) - 55.614 / 180.873 / 30,75% 05/07/12

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W (Level 5) - 84.041 / 155.877 / 53,91% 18/10/12
[PSV] Little Battlers eXperience W (Level 5) - 16.489 / 20.178 / 81,72% 18/10/12
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience W: Ultra Custom (Level 5) - 27.361 / 27.361 / 100,00% 18/07/13

Ha, wow, at least the 3DS version did quite a bit more than the Vita version, so it's not a total bust... right?

Might have legs, I mean wouldn't the anime still be airing, and of course with the WARS show airing soon enough, it'll keep the awareness of the IP naturally.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What would be the closest *similar* game that performed well in Japan?
It's kind of hard to come up with a list of similar games, but I guess these would probably be the closest?

Feel free to suggest better comparison points in case I missed anything or am really off base here.

Sacred 2: 46,540 (PS3) / 24,013 (360)
Kamisama to Unmei Kakumei no Paradox: 34,366
Zettai Hero Kaizou Keikaku: 50,802
Dungeon Siege 3: 8,652

Edit: I did a second comparison off of Viewtiful Joe/LKS here based on feedback: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72540236&postcount=177

While chances are it not taking off at all, a lot of the current hype that's directed towards the game in western territories should be directed towards Japan. The game has the potential to be big there, they love their super sentai.

I do think at least thematically it's a much better fit for Japan.

Unless the LBX fanbase is still on the PSP, the poor PSV and 3DS sales point to people not liking the series or Level 5 milking it dry.

Probably a mix of both.

Pikmin 25k
WiiU 15k
Vita 12k
ML4 100k

Very predictable week except for Vita holding a bit better than I thought it would.

Thats a good hold for YW and even Pikmin though its the legs that will determine if its going to be a 200-250k seller or 400k seller.

I'm going to give the WiiU 2 weeks before its below 10k.

Might not be the best point of reference, but Platinum Games sales history:

Code:
Madworld 	15,670
Infinite Space 	69,049
Bayonetta (PS3) 206,142 + 11,485 (Budget release)
Bayonetta (360)	111,829 + 6,336 (Budget release)
Vanquish (PS3) 	95,925
Vanquish (360) 	18,489
Max Anarchy (PS3) 	26,504
Max Anarchy (360) 	4,170

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's kind of hard to come up with a list of similar games, but I guess these would probably be the closest?

Feel free to suggest better comparison points in case I missed anything or am really off base here.

Thank you, not great selling titles (hopefully it's first week sales you posted there!).

Would you have figures for Viewtiful Joe on both GC and PS2?

Wouldn't something along the lines of Pikmin, My Little King's Story, and Viewtiful Joe be more apt? Speaking of fatigue I wonder if W101 will have any as a result of Pikmin 3 being so close to it.

Hope Dragons Crown becomes the best selling Vanillaware game. The game has really impressed me and it has a high chance of becoming the best selling one imo.

Ha, wow, at least the 3DS version did quite a bit more than the Vita version, so it's not a total bust... right?
Vita version was just the PSP game upscaled with trophies. Level 5 didn't even bother changing the controls. There was pretty much no reason for anyone to care about it.

Raist

Banned
Will it include graphs and figures showing how it stacks up against other systems for perspective?

You know you dig graphs and figures.

linecomparerpu0s.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thank you, not great selling titles (hopefully it's first week sales you posted there!).

Would you have figures for Viewtiful Joe on both GC and PS2?

Wouldn't something along the lines of Pikmin, My Little King's Story, and Viewtiful Joe be more apt? Speaking of fatigue I wonder if W101 will have any as a result of Pikmin 3 being so close to it.

Those are unfortunately LTDs off of Garaph.

For Viewtiful Joe and Little King's Story LTDs based on Garaph:

Viewtiful Joe: 93,563
Viewtiful Joe: New Hope: 34,325
Viewtiful Joe 2: 34,477

Little King's Story (Wii): 25,932
The King, the Demon King and the 7 Princesses: New King Story (Vita): 6,526

Pikmin: 502,996
Pikmin 2: 470,933

is it?!? I haven't followed that, to what extent?

Pirates have been releasing illegal dumps of 3DS games for years. Now, illegal exploit-based flashcarts are beginning to disseminate throughout the world.

It has already been blocked by Nintendo, but it still works with current games, so Mario & Luigi 4 can theoretically be pirated.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Might not be the best point of reference, but Platinum Games sales history:

Code:
Madworld 	15,670
Infinite Space 	69,049
Bayonetta (PS3) 206,142 + 11,485 (Budget release)
Bayonetta (360)	111,829 + 6,336 (Budget release)
Vanquish (PS3) 	95,925
Vanquish (360) 	18,489
Max Anarchy (PS3) 	26,504
Max Anarchy (360) 	4,170

I really have no idea where to peg W101. Theres always that chance for a 15k-20k superbomba, but... it can't really can it? Maybe something like 60k? I really don't know. It won't be good either way.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I actually liked the original Tomato Adventure :)
Surprised by the fact that it didn't get the Western release, until they made M&L from it.

Make M&L from it? Does this mean it is just an asset-flip, or do you mean as in "making a sequel to it, just replacing the characters by Mario & Luigi"? If it is the latter, is the game playable without understanding the text? Maybe I'll have to buy the game then...

Striek

TW101 isn't an action RPG/loot game though? I thought it plays more like Bayonetta or other action games in gameplay (aka a Platinum Games game), and its the aesthetic thats really unique. I've definitely read many comparisons to Bayonetta.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TW101 isn't an action RPG/loot game though? I thought it plays more like Bayonetta or other action games in gameplay, and its the aesthetic thats really unique. I've read many comparisons to Bayonetta.

Yeah I went for a second comparison off of LKS/VJ a bit later.

I really have no idea where to peg W101. Theres always that chance for a 15k-20k superbomba, but... it can't really can it? Maybe something like 60k? I really don't know. It won't be good either way.

I'm hoping for 60k, expecting the 15k superbomba though. No one knows about this game outside the hardcore of the hardcore since Nintendo does a pisspoor job of marketing it - even talking about it. The dedicated, last minute ,,Nintendo Direct show'' for this game will also just reach the people that already know about it. (This will happen worldwide too)

Durante

Oh, Sacred 2 sold 70k copies in Japan? I'd never have expected that. That must be amongst the top Japanese/Western sales ratios for Western third party games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm hoping for 60k, expecting the 15k superbomba though. No one knows about this game outside the hardcore of the hardcore since Nintendo does a pisspoor job of marketing it - even talking about it. The dedicated, last minute ,,Nintendo Direct show'' for this game will also just reach the people that already know about it. (This will happen worldwide too)

Are we talking LTD or first week?

Tom_Cody

M&L1: 63,839
M&L2: 133,229
M&L3: 220,055
M&L4: 108,005
I'm as confused as everyone else. Wasn't the third one supposed to be the best of the games released so far? You would think that would bode well for the opening sales of number 4.

Maybe it's franchise fatigue?

To speak for myself: Despite the good review scores, I just can't get excited for M&L4. The story seem to have zero stakes and the gameplay doesn't look that interesting/fun.

No way TW101 will be 15k....come on the WiiU has a gaming drought and title actually looks decent. I would hope it did at least 40-50k 1st week.

I'm as confused as everyone else. Wasn't the third one supposed to be the best of the games released so far? You would think that would bode well for the opening sales of number 4.

Maybe it's franchise fatigue?

To speak for myself: Despite the good review scores, I just can't get excited for M&L4. The story seem to have zero stakes and the gameplay doesn't look that interesting/fun.

I think you answered your own question. It's too close to Paper Mario's release and many people "just can't get excited" for it. Franchise fatigue is definitely a factor here.

Fisico

TW101 isn't an action RPG/loot game though? I thought it plays more like Bayonetta or other action games in gameplay (aka a Platinum Games game), and its the aesthetic thats really unique. I've definitely read many comparisons to Bayonetta.

It's Platinum, Kamiya and the staff see it as some kind of spiritual successor of Viewtiful Joe too.

It's clearly not a title that will set the charts in fire for Wii U, given the context it should perform better than it would've on a healthier platform I think (something around 30-60k FW and maybe around 100k LTD)

DaBoss

Not too worried about M&L4. It should have good legs.

Most surprising thing for me is how low the drop is for the Vita.

Hope Dragons Crown becomes the best selling Vanillaware game. The game has really impressed me and it has a high chance of becoming the best selling one imo.

If it is. I hope Vanillaware don't get the wrong idea from its success.

A lot of people think Nintendo's problem is with the Wii U hardware, specifically the Gamepad, but I believe it has more to do with their Wii U 1st party software. They've admitted to being behind on the the HD learning curve, so I'm concerned they'll be unable to adjust their preliminary 1st party software strategy quickly enough to accommodate current market realities, specifically the market's slight repudiation of Nintendo's blue ocean titles. It's like trying to make a U-turn with an oil tanker only to discover that by the time they've finally hit 180 the generation is at its twilight.

Top Bottom